Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:35 am 

Welcome, welcome everybody! I know we all have lots of fun with the Album of the Year poll that I've been running since 2016, so it stands to reason that it would be twice the fun to do it twice, no? So with that in mind, I present to you all:

THE ENCYCLOPAEDIA METALLUM MID YEAR OFF TOPIC POLL

Now before we even get started, I want to make one thing clear right off the bat. That's that the rules are loosened for the mid year poll. I'll explain the changes as we go, but the general idea is that this will be much more relaxed, much more informal, and I'll be less of a dickhead during the runup.

THE CATEGORY IS "ALBUMS OF 2000-2009"
This category won the pre-poll and I'm pretty excited for this one because this is truly the wildest wildcard. Recent enough to be relatively fresh, distant enough to be truly nostalgic, smack in the middle of a really strange pocket of formative memories for a huge majority of us (assuming most of y'all are around my age, unless we've gotten an influx of zoomers when I wasn't looking!). No one/two genre(s) dominated the decade quite like the two previous and instead like a dozen scenes see this era as their peak. Folk metal was at its undisputed height, retro thrash exploded, the rest of the tech death scene finally caught up to what Necrophagist was doing in 1999, classic 80s bands started reforming or having huge comebacks, black metal entered arguably its most creatively fertile period, the post-Hammerfall wave of power metal hit its stride, prog, doom, and death metal were all having little revolutions in their own right, the Cascadian scene took off, Savannah Sludge, there are so many veins to mine in this period. We're going to have to kneecap likely dozens of favorites just to get down to ten, and I foresee this being a particularly agonizing curation for most of us, but that's exactly why we picked it, no?

You should all know the rules by now, but as a refresher, all you need to do is:

Select your top ten:
This is very easy, all you need to do is choose your top ten albums of the decade.

PM your top ten, in order, to me, BastardHead:
It's that simple, just make a top ten and send it to me, I'll take care of all the number crunching nonsense!

What happens next is that I will assign each position a point value, grand prix style, so that first place votes are seen as more valuable than second place, and so on. The point values are as follows:

1 = 25 points
2 = 18 points
3 = 15 points
4 = 12 points
5 = 10 points
6 = 8 points
7 = 6 points
8 = 4 points
9 = 2 points
10 = 1 point

That may seem confusing and semi random for people who don't follow F1, but the idea of the point system being set up the way it is is that consistency is valued over a lucky win. So an album with twenty third place votes will fare better than one with ten first place votes. Regardless, we want you to put some good thought into this. Every vote counts! The idea is to get a collective snapshot of what we, as MA forumgoers, see to be the best albums of the decade. So give it a lot of thought and let your voice be heard!

As with all things, there are a few guidelines we ask you to follow, but they're all quite simple, common sense rules.

1) METAL ONLY!: This is obvious, but just know that the only way I'll truly be judging this is by whether or not the band has a page on MA. If they do, they're eligible. This is a metal site so it's only logical to keep it this way, it's just so people don't go trying to sneak in Porcupine Tree or whatever. However if the album itself isn't metal, I don't care as long as it's listed on the site. So if you're a huge fan of Anethema or late-era Opeth or something then it's your lucky day, everything they released during the window of eligibility is fair game.

2) Make sure you vote for ten albums: This rule is stricken for the mid year poll. It should be very easy to come up with 10 when we're talking about such a broad window of time anyway but if you don't want to then hey, don't sweat it! It'll make it harder for me to tally up the total amount of ballots (because usually I'm a lazy ass and just divide the point total by 101 to get this answer) but this is the low stress summer poll. If for some reason you can't think of ten, don't worry about it too hard. The vote to possibly expand the ballot wound up deciding to keep the maximum at 10 by a huge majority, so if you really want to do 20 or something, you've gotta bite the bullet and trim it down. But if you just don't like any of these new styles of metal and only really loved six albums, go ahead and vote for six.

3) Put your list in order: I'm assigning point values, it's important that they're in order. If you just give me something alphabetically with no determined ordering, I'll either just discard the entire ballot or change every vote to something stupid out of spite. In the event of a tie, the album with more higher placed votes counts, so an album with ten votes all for fourth place will rank above one with a hundred and twenty votes only for tenth place, so please, order them!

4) New, original material only: Usually this rule is to eliminate live albums and rereleases and whatnot, but here? Nah whatever, I don't care. If the best album happens to be a live album or a demo compilation or something, go nuts. Every release listed on MA is eligible, no matter the format.

5) Only albums actually released from 2000-2009: Again this should be obvious but it needs to be said anyway. And yes the decade ends in 2009 for the same reason 1990 isn't part of the 80s, miss me with that bullshit.

6) One ballot per user: Again, should go without saying, but don't try to vote multiple times to inflate the numbers. I will notice and I'll just wipe your whole vote if you decide to be a numbskull.

7) Your account must have been registered before this thread was created: This shouldn't apply to pretty much all of you, but it's just to prevent duplicate sockpuppet accounts trying to game the system. Don't do that.

8) Don't be a dick: We're running on the honor system here, and I obviously can't police the intentions of everybody who votes, but please don't be a troll who votes in a bunch of crap you've never heard of for yuks. Nor should you vote in things you actually think are terrible as some weird form of protest. Nor should you vote the same album ten times. Nor should you vote for something your own band released. We're trusting you to take this seriously enough to have fun with this but not act like an idiot, just use common sense and don't waste our time.

Like the decade poll last year, if you could please include the year of release for each of your votes that would be a huge help for us. Napalm_Satan handles analytics during these mid year polls and you'd be making her life easier by making sure to note the appropriate years. I'm not gonna disqualify you if you don't, it's easy to look it up myself, but you'd be helping us out a lot if you did.

The one other big change is that, if you want to posts your lists in here ahead of time, go wild. I try to curb that during the main year-end poll in December to discourage vote gaming and stuff like that, but with the category being so broad this time I see no harm in doing so to remind people of great stuff they may have forgotten about. I'll keep the actual running totals secret while the ballots are rolling in still in order for the final reveal to have some essence of ceremony, but the idea is for this to be informal and fun, so I'm not gonna be a dickhead about it during June. Posts your lists if you want to, but please remember to PM it to me if you want it to count in the final tally. There will obviously be a new thread when the results are posted where you can share and discuss there as well, but if you want to do it here too, go ahead, I don't care this time.

This year, the OPTIONAL SIDE VOTE IS:

NOTHING!
I've mentioned a few times that I've been considering cutting the side categories, and so we're gonna give it a test run here. We usually barely break 50% participation and the results usually wind up pretty redundant (the Band of the Decade category we did last year wound up mirroring the top 20 or so on the main list pretty closely anyway, for example). NS and I both agreed that we just don't even want to bother with it this year, so fuck it, just worry about your top ten and don't fuss about anything else!

The polls will be open until Midnight, July 1st, MA TIME (EST, or GMT -5:00). I know people always get confused as to when this actually means, but know that as soon as July starts, the polls are closed. This gives us the entire month of June to vote. The final results should hopefully be posted sometime on the 1st, though I have a real job and shit so it may take until the 2nd, but I've done a good job of always getting the results out on time in the past so I feel confident in being able to do it again this time.

Have fun and happy voting!

KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:57 am 

How the fuck am I supposed to boil down a top 10 list from the most important, formative years of my taste in metal? Haha oh well, here's to trying. :beer:

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:35 am 

Already had this on hand so submitted now. Sucks ass that 4 of my all time top 25 had to miss the cut, but whatever.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:36 am 

This is a really weird decade for me. Most of my favourite stuff from this era is post metal/sludge with only a few interesting black or death metal releases. I have currently 11 albums in my list so I have to delete one but I have no idea which one.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:24 am 

off the top of my head, i'm fairly certain about 5 albums making my list: elvenefris, close to a world below, those once loyal, conductor's departure, and rad a trest... overall this is going to be super difficult (i'm expecting those first three to do very well)

*edit* oh and graves of the archangels too - i'm already overwhelming myself here :lol:

Rasha_yad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:45 am 

Here's my first draft.

Honourable mention: In Their Darkened Shrines, Annihilation of the Wicked, Nightmares Made Flesh, House of Dementia, Virus, Winds of Creation

10. Baphomet's Blood - Second Strike (2008)
9. Silencer - Death - Pierce Me (2001)
8. Chainsaw - Into the Pit (2005)
7. Enmity - Illuminations of Vile Engorgement (2005)
6. Amon Amarth - With Oden on our Side (2006)
5. Karl Sanders - Saurian Meditation (2004)
4. Hell Rot - Vomit Altar (2006)
3. N.K.V.D. - Diktatura (2007)
2. Nile - Black Seeds of Vengeance (2000)
1. Woods of Infinity - Ljuset (2005)

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:47 am 

So many Melechesh albums to choose from....

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:13 am 

This'll be interesting.

Did my top 10 (I'll put it in the results poll) and it's pretty funny how my tastes changed compared to the 2010-2019 one; except for one nile album everything in my top 10 is variants on drone. 2010-2019 was far more traditional. There are more riffs in any one of my 2010-19 albums than there is in my entire submission to this poll.

A mix of it being huge with me growing up and also the scene peaking at that point, I guess. Nice one with Enmity, Rasha! I just couldn't really jam it into my top 10.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:29 am 

So far we've only had one of my top 10 mentioned, I reckon we'll have some somewhat low scoring winners in this one.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:44 am 

After studying my library I can say it was a really weak decade. Most of my favourite metal was recorded in the next one. My current list looks like this:

1 = Neurosis - Given to the Rising
2 = Isis - Panopticon
3 = Cult of Luna - Somewhere Along the Highway
4 = Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters
5 = Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, maledicti, in ignem aeternum
6 = Katharsis - Fourth Reich
7 = Paysage d'Hiver - Winterkalte
8 = Maudlin of the Well - Bath /Leaving Your Body Map
9 = Esoteric - The Maniaval Vale
10 = Sunn O))) - Domkirke

Not sure what to do with Maudlin of the Well. That album was meant to be a double album (and has been released as such in the past decade) but it was originally released as different albums for some reason.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:47 am 

I can do the first 5 rather easily but after that it's a bloodbath. Not sure I will brave it...

1. Vektor - Black Future (2009)
2. Wolf - The Black Flame (2006)
3. Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal (2005)
4. Grip Inc. - Incorporated (2004)
5. Wolf - Evil Star (2004)

Do EPs count? I think I'd put Isen Torr and John Arch in...

King Diamond: A Royal Tribute (short guide to King Diamond's discography)

Vic's Dungeon:

The Dungeon Awards for 2017

Best of 2017, Part II: 5+1 more albums

Let's talk about Ghost (aka Stop the Madness)

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:50 am 

damn, completely forgot about bolt thrower. loyal is my fave album, I think I got my wires crossed and thought it came out in '94. Oh well

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:50 am 

Been working on this for the last week, almost done. I didn't expect this decade to be so tuff to narrow down, but I've had to leave out so many favorites it's not bloody funny, Goatsnake, Nevermore, Pagan Altar, Criminal, Seasons of the Wolf, Domine etc.

The Lord Weird Slough Feg - Down Among The Dead Men '00
High On Fire - Blessed Black Wings '05
Reverend Bizarre - In The Rectory Of The Bizarre Reverend '02
Doomsword - Resound The Horn '02
Bathory - Nordland 1 '02
Deceased - Supernatural Addiction '00
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone '00
Manilla Road - Voyager '08
Celtic Frost - Monotheist '06
The Chasm - Procession To The Infraworld '00

hallowed78
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:55 am 

My selection is all over the place. It seems I listened a lot less black and death metal those days.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:00 am 

EDIT - submitted list with near misses below

01. Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper (2000)
02. Edguy - Hellfire Club (2004)
03. Iron Maiden - Brave New World (2000)
04. Children of Bodom - Hate Crew Deathroll (2003)
05. Kreator - Enemy of God (2005)
06. Cradle of Filth - Midian (2000)
07. Type O Negative - Dead Again (2007)
08. Sentenced - The Cold White Light (2002)
09. Edguy - Mandrake (2001)
10. Wolf - Ravenous (2009)

Avantasia - The Scarecrow
Dismember - Where Ironcrosses Grow
Dismember - The God That Never Was
Hypocrisy - Virus
Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death
Kalmah - They Will Return
Lullacry - Vol. 4
Masterplan - Masterplan

Last edited by lordcatfish on Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:08 am 

I'd struggle even to just nominate five albums from that decade, but my heart goes out to anyone who lists Skumring's "De glemte tider" ... maybe the only album worth my mention...

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:13 am 

Those were my metal formative years: lots of awesome stuff , good memories and a pinch of nostalgia..

I'm quite sure that Sigh's Imaginary Soniscape will take my top spot but i still need to figure out the rest. I wouldn't be suprised if most of my favorite albums were made in 2008-2009, i remember those two years to be extremely loaded

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:58 am 

Dying Fetus - Destroy the Opposition (2000)
Children of Bodom - Follow the Reaper (2000)
The Crown - Deathrace King (2000)
Aborted - Goremageddon: The Saw and the Carnage Done (2003)
Skinless - Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead (2006)
Rotten Sound - Exit (2005)
Septicflesh - Sumerian Daemons (2003)
Decapitated - Nihility (2002)
Cannabis Corpse - Tube of the Resinated (2008)
Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked (2005)

Albums that didn't make it:

Blood Freak - Multiplex Massacre
The Red Chord - Clients
Origin - Antithesis
Warbringer - Waking Into Nightmares
Revocation - Existence is Futile
Gorerotted - Only Tools and Corpses

Maybe I'm just too young, but I feel like this decade wasn't as bad as it was made out to be. I had a bit of a hard time making this list, you can see the ones I didn't include.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:02 am 

gonna be a tough one ngl.... Slough Feg will prob make an appearance in my list and Manilla Road too other than that i dont really know right now. I can choose Fall of Efrafa even though they still are not and never were a metal band :P

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:18 am 

God damn what an absolutely iconic decade for extreme metal. This might be my favorite period of metal. It's mostly old heads who say this was a bad decade anyways.

It was really tough narrowing it down to 10, but I went with my gut:
1. Negura Bunget - Om (2006)
2. Deathspell Omega - Fas (2007)
3. Type O Negative - Dead Again (2007)
4. Leviathan - Tentacles of Whorror (2004)
5. Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God (2003)
6. Lurker of Chalice - Lurker of Chalice (2005)
7. Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris (2000)
8. Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters (2007)
9. Lantlos - Lantlos (2008)
10. Njiqahdda - Yrg Alms (2009)

There were so many albums right on the cusp for me. I could have done this 20 different times and had albums from Meads of Asphodel, Primordial, Sigh, Solstafir, Pig Destroyer, Agalloch, Enslaved, Anaal Nathrakh, Moonsorrow, Krallice, Windir, Weakling, Nachtmystium, Cobalt, the Chasm, Napalm Death, Austere and on and on and on....

Last edited by ThePoop on Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:21 am 

It's going to be a process whittling down the top 10 and going through my library to make sure I don't miss anything based on release year. Here's a start:

Amon Amarth - With Oden on Our Side & Versus the World
Behemoth - Demigod & The Apostasy
Blood Red Throne - Come Death
Bolt Thrower - To Those Once Loyal
Destroyer 666 - Phoenix Rising
Doom:VS - Aeternum Vale
Ensiferum - Victory Songs
Ereb Altor - By Honour
Fleshgod Apocalypse - Oracles
Forefather - Steadfast
Grand Magus - Iron Will
Moonsorrow - All 5 albums from that decade
Panzerchrist - Battalion Beast
Primordial - To the Nameless Dead & The Gathering Wilderness
Septicflesh - Sumerian Demons & Communion
Svartsot - Ravnenes Saga
Vader - Litany & Impressions in Blood

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:40 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:

Such a strange way to spell THE EYE OF EVERY STORM :-D

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:44 am 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Such a strange way to spell THE EYE OF EVERY STORM :-D

As long as it's not Honor Found in Decay every Neurosis album is good. Given to the Rising is one of their heaviest so for me the decision is pretty simple.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:53 am 

I've narrowed my list of 58 down to 20.

Worth noting that even on my list of 58, I think only 7 or 8 were released after 2005. The early 2000's Century Media fam is strong on this one.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:04 am 

I'll have to find 7 albums to add after Reverend Bizarre's 3 albums, gonna be hard.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Xytras71
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:28 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:

Ahh, yeah! And I was convinced "Maniacal Vale" would end up in RC. Right on my man!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:41 am 

Definitely tempted to include multiple Slough Feg albums... but eh it's more interesting not to repeat artists.

Xytras71
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:53 am 

And here we go...

1. Immolation "Unholy Cult" (2002)
2. Grand Belial's Key "Judeobeast Assassination" (2001)
3. Nile "In Their Darkened Shrine" (2002)
4. Cobalt "Gin" (2009)
5. Esoteric "The Maniacal Vale" (2008)
6. Dead Congregation "Graves Of The Archangels" (2008)
7. Behemoth "Demigod" (2004)
8. Ahab "The Call Of A Wretched Sea" (2006)
9. Peste Noire "Ballade Cuntre Lo Anemi Francor" (2009)
10. Opeth "Blackwater Park" (2001)

Honorable mentions:

My Dying Bride: "Songs Of Darkness..."
Destroyer 666: "Phoenix Rising"
Shining: "V-Halmstadt"
Farsot: "IIII"

Last edited by Xytras71 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:18 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Definitely tempted to include multiple Slough Feg albums... but eh it's more interesting not to repeat artists.

Yeah... same. Please pick Traveller haha! I'm bored at work so I think this will be mine but I'll think about it for a few days before submitting it.

1) Primordial - To the Nameless Dead (2005)
2) Reverend Bizarre - In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend (2002)
3) Slough Feg - Traveller (2003)
4) Opeth - Blackwater Park (2001)
5) Solstafir - Kold (2009)
6) Melechesh - Emissaries (2006)
7) Deceased - As the Weird Travel On (2005)
8) Agatus - The Weaving Fates (2002)
9) Cult of Luna - Somewhere Along the Highway (2006)
10) Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape (2001)

Close to the top 10
-Dead Congregation - Graves of the Archangels (2008)
-Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain (2006)
-Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side (2006)
-Cultes des Ghoules - Haxan (2008)
Baroness, Mastodon, Behemoth...

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:23 am 

Xytras71 wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Ahh, yeah! And I was convinced "Maniacal Vale" would end up in RC. Right on my man!

Oops, I made a typo. Fantastic album and band, love everything they've done and I think I love A Pyrrhic Existence even more.

2 = Isis - Panopticon
3 = Cult of Luna - Somewhere Along the Highway
4 = Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters
5 = Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, maledicti, in ignem aeternum
6 = Katharsis - Fourth Reich
7 = Paysage d'Hiver - Winterkalte
8 = Maudlin of the Well - Bath /Leaving Your Body Map
9 = Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale
10 = Sunn O))) - Domkirke

Still unsure about Fourth Reich (World Without End is just as good) and what to do with Maudlin of the Well.

Other stuff I considered: L'Acephale, Dead Congregation, Agalloch, Opeth, Enslaved, Negura Bunget, Weakling, Electric Wizard, Type O Negative, Nile, Amenra, Orthodox, Cobalt, Ramesses, Obliteration...

Last edited by Gravetemplar on Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:25 am 

Hashed this out soon after it was clear this was gonna be the next best-of poll.

10. Lacuna Coil - Comalies (2002)
09. My Dying Bride - Songs of Darkness, Words of Light (2004)
08. Moonspell - Night Eternal (2008)
07. Dark Tranquillity - Fiction (2007)
06. Nightwish - Century Child (2002)
05. Tristania - World of Glass (2001)
04. The Black Dahlia Murder - Miasma (2005)
03. Type O Negative - Dead Again (2007)
02. Cradle of Filth - Midian (2000)
01. Kamelot - The Black Halo (2005)

I just really like angst-ridden melodrama, I can't help it.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:40 am 

^Wow. I'd completely forgotten about Cradle of Filth and My Dying Bride. I'm definitely not going to include CoF, I've sort of moved on from them but MDB's The Dreadful Hours was significant for me. Time to revisit and see how well it holds up.

Primordial and Neurosis are battling for my top spot.

Last edited by Metal_On_The_Ascendant on Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:41 am 

The Dreadful Hours is great but imho Songs of Darkness, Words of Light has aged even better. Damn fine album imho.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:42 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
The Dreadful Hours is great but imho Songs of Darkness, Words of Light has aged even better. Damn fine album imho.

Will be my next one. I liked it a fair bunch too back then.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:56 am 

Oh shit forgetting Enslaved - Below the Lights is why I need to think about this a bit more.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:12 am 

man y'all fucking crazy with how fast you can come up with a list. i'm having a tough time simply limiting it to black metal, let alone the whole scene.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

milosh111
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:19 am 

I've completed a top ten that I'm pretty satisfied with, but I'll wait few more days (or weeks) because somebody might remind me of an album (or a band) that somehow completely slipped my mind. It already happened with Melechesh...

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:20 am 

It was a stellar decade for doom metal.

1. Shape of Despair - Illusion's Play (2004)
2. Tyranny - Tides of Awakening (2005)
3. Skumring - De glemte tider (2005)
4. Profetus - Coronation of the Black Sun (2009)
5. Skepticism - Alloy (2008)
6. Griftegård - Solemn • Sacred • Severe (2009)
7. Asunder - A Clarion Call (2004)
8. Cult of Luna - Somewhere Along the Highway (2006)
9. Daylight Dies - Dismantling Devotion (2006)
10. Sunn O))) - Black One (2005)

I could have easily made it a top-20 this time. My other ten picks:

My Dying Bride - Songs of Darkness, Words of Light (2004)
Earth - Hex: or Printing in the Infernal Method (2005)
Tristania - Ashes (2005)
Funeral - From These Wounds (2006)
Ghost Brigade - Guided by Fire (2007)
The Gathering - A Noise Severe (2007)
Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale (2008)
Draconian - Turning Season Within (2008)
Mournful Congregation - The June Frost (2009)
Longing for Dawn - Between Elation and Despair (2009)

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:21 am 

I intended Nagelfar's Srontgorrth to be my nr 1 pick. It's my favourite album of all time, but I just checked and it was released in 1999.... :brick:

I have my list mostly ready though, but I need to re-listen to some more to refresh my memories. Like early Sirenia or mid-era Helheim. Gorgoroth also has some really good albums, like Incipit Satan and Quantos...

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:41 am 

How are y'all weighting popularity/impact vs. your own subjective appreciation for an album (if at all)? So like for Reverend Bizarre, I'm conflicted because So Long Suckers is my favorite, but In the Rectory definitely had more impact on the scene and I would bet is more likely to pick up votes. I pretty much ignored impact/popularity last poll and almost everything in my list ended up in the Rando corner--not about to make that mistake again!

Also, I hope all of you into doom, don't forget the Lamp of Thoth! I think despite the low probability LoT has at picking up votes, I can't keep Portents, Omens and Doom out of my list--that album is too damn good.

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next