Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:28 pm 

A new Darkthrone album has just been announced on Peaceville Records, to be released on May 31st. Not much more to be said at the moment, other than the sentence "a large dose of Doom metal" and a sweet looking artwork.

What are people's thoughts on it?

Spoiler: show

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:09 pm 

I'm pretty surprised this is already coming out so soon! I made a thread about them working on stuff back in September, but I didn't expect any announcement of a new album for a year or so after that. Either way, I'm always stoked for new Darkthrone, their last two albums were killer.

EDIT:

Gotta love Fenriz's descriptions:

Quote:
Fenriz enthuses «Old star – again we are here with THE RIFFS! A while after our previous ARCTIC THUNDER album it became apparent that we would continue in that same style, BLACK OLD HEAVY METAL with slow thrash, classic doom and slow death metal.
As many have focussed on the 70s sound over the last 20 years, the mix on our new album has ended up being more 80s than ever. The songs are more metal than ever! Ted’s songs have alot of black metal in them, faster and slower but also doomier parts and reocurring parts. My songs are more linear written, it’s an ancient 80s underground trick, with breaks, all slow heavy or slow thrash, classic doom or slow death.»
He continues «All in all it is our most 80s album so far and our most metal one to date with drum sound typical for the 80s USA/German market and damned lyrics, which are all written by me. We feel that OLD STAR is the big brother of ARCTIC THUNDER. More solid and with even better riffs.»

http://peaceville.com/bands/darkthrone/

Misotheist - Melodic Black/Death/Thrash Metal
Spotify

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:36 pm 

Always happy for a new Darkthrone album. Pretty much enjoy all their albums (although I've never gotten on with Goatlord, really).
Just checked out the Peaceville shop. Seems the album is gonna have 6 tracks. There's some interesting song titles there, that's for sure...
1.) I Muffle Your Inner Choir
2.) The Hardship Of The Scots
3.) Old Star
4.) Alp Man
5.) Duke of Gloat
6.) The Key Is Inside The Wall

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:12 pm 

Well I won’t lie it all sounds to potentially be very very good. I did like Arctic Thunder even if it was a little uneven.

DividerOfShadows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:39 pm 

Doomier Darkthrone... The mere thought fills me with curiosity. Can't wait to listen to the album!

And I'm still hoping for Katy Perry to do another Christian album.

My Last.fm

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:08 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
Well I won’t lie it all sounds to potentially be very very good. I did like Arctic Thunder even if it was a little uneven.

that one was TOO even - very little stood out

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:15 pm 

Chaosmonger wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:

that one was TOO even - very little stood out

Huh. I had some songs I really liked and some that weren’t as memorable for me. For instance Burial Bliss and Inbred Vermin were my go to songs on that album.

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:54 pm 

I... didn't care for Arctic Thunder. It has two memorable tunes and the rest is decent, but boring. A shame because I like what the record is trying to be. Here's hoping for Old Star to be the album Arctic Thunder could have been.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:46 pm 

I've noticed that about a lot of their albums, of which I have several. Most of their albums are an uneven mix of really great tunes (for example, "Arctic Thunder" and "Tundra Leach") and a couple decent, okay tunes (for example "Burial Bliss") and a few outright filler tunes. I suspect this new one will be the same- there will probably be maybe two absolute classic metal stompers, (We'll see which songs they are) and two decent but not quite as good songs, and probably two boring ones. I'll probably still buy it though, on the strength of their good songs- just like I bought the last couple records they did.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:26 pm 

A more doom-focused Darkthrone sounds intriguing. They have had that doom influence since at least "A Blaze...", with riffs clearly inspired by Celtic Frost, Black Sabbath and Candlemass. They really shine in those slower sections, which why it's somewhat a pity that the blasting tremolo fest of "Transilvanian Hunger" is their best known work.

In any case, I will of course take a listen. Darkthrone might be the best Norwegian band of all time, but I would be lying if I said that I have greatly enjoyed their output for the last decade or so. "Arctic Thunder" had its moments, but it was also very bland and boring. Nocturno Culto needs to add some intensity to his vocals. The "old man screaming at the kids" voice is getting boring.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:28 pm 

Quote:
As many have focussed on the 70s sound over the last 20 years

Anyone know what he means by this? 80s is by far the most glorified decade in metal and there's no shortage of bands reviving 80s styles. Almost like he got 70s and 80s mixed up, but knowing Fenriz he probably just means in terms of the super esoteric stuff he's into.

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:29 pm 

The first black metal song I ever heard was "Dance of Eternal Shadows," which starts off with that slower doomier bit. Hmm.

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:01 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Quote:
As many have focussed on the 70s sound over the last 20 years

Anyone know what he means by this? 80s is by far the most glorified decade in metal and there's no shortage of bands reviving 80s styles. Almost like he got 70s and 80s mixed up, but knowing Fenriz he probably just means in terms of the super esoteric stuff he's into.

I assume he's referring to the 70s 'occult rock' stuff like Blood Ceremony, The Devil's Blood, etc.? But yeah, we all know he's aware of the current bands doing total 80s metal so it was a weird thing to say.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:29 am 

My favorite Darkthrone songs have always been the slower ones. I'm looking forward to this!

Discordant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:11 pm 

Didn't really like the "new" Darkthrone from F.O.A.D and onwards until the last 2 albums which have been pretty good. I hope this continue the positive trend!

Imperiator <- Black Metal (old-school Bathory/Immortal/Dissection)

U472439
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:38 pm 

Whenever Fenriz talks about the 80s, I get a little nervous, because most of the mediocre moments on Darkthrone's records for the last 15 years have involved the band rehashing 80s black/thrash/heavy/speed metal. That said, the doom stuff on Arctic Thunder was some of the most interesting stuff, and since this new one only has 6 songs, maybe we'll get some doomy blackened epics.

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:12 am 

I love Darkthrone. I imagine there arent many lingering around this site that don't. They havent done much to blow me away in a long time. Some of their more recent work has been exaggerated and overrated, and the last album was kinda boring. However i still get excited for a new album and feel like a kid on christmas on the day of the release. As long as they are doing something a bit different and happy doing it, count me in.

DEAD BUT DREAMING DISTRO
https://dbdblackmetaldistro.blogspot.com

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:47 pm 

I don’t think much of their recent work has been overrated, response is pretty consistently middling. Which is apt.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:12 pm 

I would like a new Darkthrone album to go beyond 'good'. They seem a little too comfortable at the moment. I'm sure it'll be fun, either way.

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

ADreamOfWolves
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:15 pm 

Chaosmonger wrote:
I don’t think much of their recent work has been overrated, response is pretty consistently middling. Which is apt.

Darkthrone's last four albums all have the same average of 77%. You don't see that every day...

Last edited by ADreamOfWolves on Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gunslinger21
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:10 pm 

You know, there is a certain aesthetic to this band that other people try to copy but can just never nail. The songs, song titles, the artwork, it all has its own flavor that is Darkthrone, I've never heard anyone quite like them. Plenty of imitations but you know its not the real thing, despite how good it is.

Can't wait to hear this one.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:48 am 

I think Fenriz is an interesting guy who follows his own nose and can think outside of the box and that shines through in all eras of the band so it makes them a fun band to follow if you're on his wavelength.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:55 am 

Gunslinger21 wrote:
You know, there is a certain aesthetic to this band that other people try to copy but can just never nail. The songs, song titles, the artwork, it all has its own flavor that is Darkthrone...Plenty of imitations but you know its not the real thing

Very well said. I'm looking froward to this and I really like most eras of the band (though there is a chunk of their catalog from about '96 to '06, that I'm not very familiar with).

But their kind of "crust punk/old school" era (I'm thinking F.O.A.D. thru 'THE UNDERGROUND RESISTANCE') has really grown on me these past few years. They seemed to catch a lot of flak during this period (for "abandoning" black metal), but if you think about it, Darkthrone was always mixing it up, from day one. From 'SOULSIDE JOURNEY' on they were always gonna "try this" and then "try that". 'GOATLORD' is a great one-of-a-kind example of this. But they've always sounded pretty honest & pretty metal, imo.

Zephirus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:14 am 

meh, will give a listen but not excited i haven't liked anything in a good while
i guess being a non touring band and just two members they can churn them out quite regularly

RichardDeBenthall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:06 am 

I think I've spent more time listening to Darkthrone's recent output than the vast majority of modern black metal. I even get all the criticism, a lot of it is very repetitive and arguably a little tame by their standards. I just find it bloody good fun and I feel like each song has an absolute stomping riff in that makes my boring days at work a little more metal. They aren't breaking any new ground (although I did like the new vibe of Arctic Thunder and hope Old Star expands on that) but that's pretty much the whole point. As Fenriz has become one of the most respected 'dons' in heavy metal due to his taste, enthusiasm and attitude, I think Darkthrone are fast becoming the heart of "true" heavy metal music. This can't really be overstated in a world where genre boundaries are being eroded every day.

Reply to topic