Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:47 am 

Phlebotomized will release their third album, their first since '97, via Hammerheart Records.

https://phlebotomizedhhr.bandcamp.com/a ... f-humanity

Youtube: show

1. Premonition (Impending Doom)
2. Chambre Ardente
3. Descent to Deviance
4. Eyes on the Prize
5. Desideratum
6. My Dear,...
7. Proclamation of a Terrified "Breed"
8. Until the End
9. Deformation of Humanity
10. Until the End - Reprise
11. Ataraxia II

BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:20 am 

God I hope they put more effort into the music than the fucking album cover after 22 years holy shit

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:37 am 

BastardHead wrote:
God I hope they put more effort into the music than the fucking album cover after 22 years holy shit

To be fair, this is the cover art to their previous album:

Anyway, haven't checked out the track yet but I will soon. Their debut, "Immense Intense Suspense" is one of my favorite albums of all time, an absolute masterpiece of prog/avant-garde death metal! Unfortunately, I think at this point Tom Palms is the only member left who was even in the band during their original incarnation (even though I'm pretty sure they initially reformed with most of the original lineup) so I approach this with a little trepidation as well...

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:38 pm 

true_death wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

To be fair, this is the cover art to their previous album:

Anyway, haven't checked out the track yet but I will soon. Their debut, "Immense Intense Suspense" is one of my favorite albums of all time, an absolute masterpiece of prog/avant-garde death metal! Unfortunately, I think at this point Tom Palms is the only member left who was even in the band during their original incarnation (even though I'm pretty sure they initially reformed with most of the original lineup) so I approach this with a little trepidation as well...

Call me colour blind or whatever but I still prefer the Skycontact cover art! :lol:

Yeah, it's only Palms plus five other unknown dudes which is sad for a reformation. I really like Phlebotomized but the idea of a new album after all this time with just one guy from the original era isn't something very reassuring. And then I heard that new song a couple of times in a row, and yeah, I don't know... It kind of feels like how Abhorrence suddenly dropped new material and it sounded like a modernised and lesser interesting version of olden ideas. In short the new song is all kinds of meh and it barely sounds like Immense Intense Suspense, no matter what the Bandcamp page states about a "return to the roots".

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:44 pm 

That's the worst cover art I've ever seen.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:50 pm 

Don't think the band ever really had good album art. The debut is just a drawing of Golum pretending to be Nelson from The Simpsons going "hah-hah!".

This new art though.... :puke:

The most ridiculous claim ever made, this should be a classic signature, but I'm too lazy...

Last.fm

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:04 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Don't think the band ever really had good album art. The debut is just a drawing of Golum pretending to be Nelson from The Simpsons going "hah-hah!".

This new art though.... :puke:

I actually like the artwork to that album, it's weird and random but fits the atmosphere of the music quite nicely. Also, the cover of Preach Eternal Gospels is fucking rad, even if it's technically not a full length.

And the new song is fine, it doesn't sound exactly like Immense, but it's leagues better than what their avant-death contempraries (namely Disharmonic Orchestra & Dark Millennium) have done with their reunions in that it actually sounds like the same band :lol:. I will have to listen to it some more, though.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:14 pm 

I quite like Immense Intense Suspense but never got into Skycontact.

The new song sounds decent. Death metal with some synth behind it which is nothing like Immense Intense Suspense, but I wouldn't expect the band to still sound as they did back then. I'd like to hear another song but for now that one is good.

As others have pointed out, the cover art is very strange indeed.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:25 am 

The title track:

Youtube: show

DecemberSoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:05 pm 

After listening to this second song, I'm glad I pre-ordered the album right after first reading about it here a month ago. Liking it a lot so far, like most stuff by those guys.

at the gaytes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:24 pm 

Wow, and I thought Immense Intense Suspense cover art was ugly

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:12 am 

Music is descent enough, with lots of references to the debut. Artwork is as expected very....interesting. About the line up, well, the band changed members a lot back then too. I'll buy that for a dollar.

Quantum_Decoherence
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:57 pm 

I'm genuinely excited for the better production quality on this album. Not that I don't appreciate the old buzzsaw style guitar tone and tin-can drums, but fuck, at some point that was just too hard to listen to. I know a lot of people are probably screaming internally/externally about it because lo-fi purists are a thing, but it's a highlight for me personally.

Reply to topic