Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
emax
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:54 pm 

When it comes to these genres, which have led to Scandinavia and Germany (and to some extent its neighboring countries) taking the Euro metal torch from the UK and running with it for decades now, what options does it have to remain invigorating and engaging?

There has been numerous commentary about how the power/folk themes of dragons, elves, trolls and the rest of the LOTR beings, Nordic mythology, Viking and Celtic wars, satyrs, romanticized - and often historically inaccurate - versions of Nordic/Celtic stories and the rest have been grating and have been done too much to be worthwhile anymore. Ditto for the various Black metal themes, which also have been about celebrating Nordic wars and mythology, often promoting it as a vastly superior option to Abrahamic religions.

And musically, it seems that the theatrics and emphasis on keyboards, fiddles, violins, other folk instruments, operatic vocals and tones have become trite cliches at best. When it comes to breaking from the mold and expanding to new horizons, certain bands have done it exceptionally well. Enslaved, Moonsorrow and Falconer are examples. Primordial is another who've had success making innovative folk metal without needing any actual folk instruments.

What other options are there musically and/or lyrically for power/folk/black metal bands that want to put out music based on Medieval (and earlier) Nordic, Celtic, Germanic and related themes and ensure that their fanbases' first reaction is that they've heard it before repeatedly?

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:12 pm 

I can't speak for folk and power metal but black metal doesn't need to go nowhere musically and lirically to be innovative again. There's plenty of black metal out nowadays that I think it's already innovative. Mybe that's just me because I don't usually listen to black about "celebrating Nordic wars and mythology". Most pagan bands nowadays aren't worth checking.

Kathaarian Life Coach
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:25 pm 

I think Satanists and pagans in metal should stop being into Satan and paganism when all other forms of music into jeebus, muhoemad & other Yahwistic hustlers stop being into their tyrannical monogoblin.

Until then, long live Satan and hail Odin.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:30 pm 

I want Iron Savior songs about veganism, and Amon Amarth songs about mortgages.

Seriously, I don't know. I think everything works pretty fine right now.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:42 pm 

^I know that is a joke but I do think realism and introspection in lyrics writing could liven up the genres a little bit. So far only heavy, thrash and hardcore-influenced metal does this, and they are either too old-fashioned or inaccessible for many to find interests. Black, folk or power metal songs about love, feelings, social problems, partying, or satire? Could be great if well-executed. All that pagan, fantasy and satanic shit can get a little emotionally monotonous, and all the best heavy metal bands never stuck to one mood throughout an album. Why can't black metal be optimistic? Is irony forbidden in power metal?

KinskiTemper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:24 pm 

Who knows. Every time a band tries to be outside the box, people around here label them pretentious.

Osore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:52 pm 

Lyrically, black metal should take my poems, and it should mix in another genre of music which would make a boom like it happened when they took influence from post-rock and shoegaze. Which genre it is, has to be seen heard. Apart from that, BM is still making progress, which can be seen as a chain of small innovations.

Last edited by Osore on Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mellifleur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:31 pm 

I think a lot of bands would be served well by using literature and poetry for their lyrics. Being a great lyricist/writer and being a great musician/composer are not the same skills and often don't inhabit the same person, and it would be in the tradition of classical music, making musical adaptations of pre-existing text. Summoning do a good job of this and nobody complains about their lyrics.

Methuen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:36 am 

Sepulchrave wrote:
^I know that is a joke but I do think realism and introspection in lyrics writing could liven up the genres a little bit. So far only heavy, thrash and hardcore-influenced metal does this, and they are either too old-fashioned or inaccessible for many to find interests. Black, folk or power metal songs about love, feelings, social problems, partying, or satire? Could be great if well-executed. All that pagan, fantasy and satanic shit can get a little emotionally monotonous, and all the best heavy metal bands never stuck to one mood throughout an album. Why can't black metal be optimistic? Is irony forbidden in power metal?

Symphonic / power metal bands with songs about love, feelings, society - all very common. That's basically Delain's entire repertoire there. Power metal songs about feelings, society, partying, satire ? See also: Edguy, Gamma Ray.

It's out there !

Black metal doesn't generally work as optimistic in the same way that punk wouldn't work in a three piece suit, tie, and Wall Street Journal.

Reply to topic