Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:29 am
Posts: 643
Location: CA, U.S.A.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:30 am 
 

Taken from their Facebook:
Quote:
We have recieved word that there has been more booking complications due to false allegations. False allegations including UADA being a "right leaning/nazi affiliated band."

The four of us would like to officially make a statement here and now to kill all suspicions, doubts and rumors...

We are not a political band and we absolutely do not support any sort of racism, oppression or fascism. We are not interested in political agendas within our music because our art means more to us than spreading such bigoted idiocy.

So to anyone assuming we are something we are not... It is very easy to write us directly or come out to one of our concerts to meet us. We would highly appreciate people making an effort in communication before making an assumption such as this. We take a lot of pride in truth and will always speak it, on a personal level as well as through our art. No games, no facade, no bullshit.


And from November 8 (trimmed)
Quote:
There is never a shortness of absurdity in this world... Today we have found news that UT Connewitz (post via Plaque) has decided to cancel our show in Leipzig with Gaahls WYRD, Tribulation (Official) & IDLE HANDS - PDX with the false accusation of UADA being a Nazi affiliated band. Apparently this is not the first time that they have prevented us from playing in this city, but we hope it will be their last.


What the fuck is going on and why the fuck is there so much policing going on in the scene? Can anyone at least make one little connection to racism/Nazism to a band from Portland, Oregon? What did I miss? As long as the music is good let people play whatever the fuck they want to play and write whatever they want to write as long as no laws are broken. Let the fans sort themselves out.

Top
 Profile  
Xenophon
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:07 am
Posts: 880
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:49 am 
 

Oh jesus, this can't be about their facebook post criticizing antifa about their... er... behavior at messe de mort, can it?

Or maybe they think Eisenwald is a nazi label now :lol:.

Top
 Profile  
BasqueStorm
Metal freak

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 4180
Location: Turks and Caicos Islands
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:02 am 
 

TheMysticWombat wrote:
What the fuck is going on and why the fuck is there so much policing going on in the scene? Can anyone at least make one little connection to racism/Nazism to a band from Portland, Oregon? What did I miss? As long as the music is good let people play whatever the fuck they want to play and write whatever they want to write as long as no laws are broken. Let the fans sort themselves out.

Idiocy and social media, you mean? People should SERIOUSLY come back to think by themselves.

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
cisgender

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 7609
Location: Spahn Ranch
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:06 am 
 

I had tickets to two separate shows cancelled in such a way years ago, didn't receive a refund for either. In my eyes, German antifa groups provide shady far-right players with an excellent source of revenue, all they need to do is announce pagan metal/neofolk concerts and sell advance tickets and wait for the antifa call to the venue, they have no expenses and keep the cash. Typical for extremists that they claim to hate each other but in reality work together and support each other.

Funny enough anyone with the right kind of Blake Judd mindset can pull this off here. I can book a venue, knowing full well I'm not going to have to pay for its use, call up Nachtfalke or whatever such band (bands that aren't NSBM but have some tenuous connections) to play, sell advance tickets on the internet, and if they don't notice it themselves I can contact some antifa people I still know, I'll keep the ticket money. Maybe I'll give a percentage to the antifa guys for their help.
_________________
https://entkunstete.blogspot.com/ - Logos & art

Top
 Profile  
ambientsorrow
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:25 am
Posts: 107
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:38 am 
 

Can I ask how these accusations began in the first place? Did they accidently brush shoulders with someone right leaning or have a family member or friend with questionable beliefs or what? Or are these accusations bourne out of someone simply holding a grudge against them for whatever reason?

Top
 Profile  
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 4258
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:42 am 
 

ambientsorrow wrote:
Can I ask how these accusations began in the first place? Did they accidently brush shoulders with someone right leaning or have a family member or friend with questionable beliefs or what? Or are these accusations bourne out of someone simply holding a grudge against them for whatever reason?


For real, this accusation seems to be coming the right hell out of nowhere. I've only recently gotten acquainted with this band but even as one of those libtard SJW types, I can't tell how this is warranted. At least the cases with bands like Taake and Watain were motivated by the bands' ambiguous behavior, even if said cases are flimsy.
_________________
Spirit Division (Stoner/Doom): http://spiritdivision.bandcamp.com
My solo acoustic project (Dark Folk/Blues): http://christophersteve.bandcamp.com/
Lavaborne (Heavy/Power/Doom): https://lavaborne.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
Mass Suicide
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:32 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:22 am 
 

It's probably because they toured with Inquisition.

Top
 Profile  
BasqueStorm
Metal freak

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 4180
Location: Turks and Caicos Islands
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:44 am 
 

Mass Suicide wrote:
It's probably because they toured with Inquisition.

OMG! :durr:

This nonsense must stop.

Top
 Profile  
Five_Nails
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:34 pm
Posts: 446
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:49 am 
 

Holy crap, I couldn't help but check out Gaahl's other bands after going on a thought tangent and now I can't unsee this.

Image

Image
_________________
I'm Nobody! Who are you?
Are you - Nobody - too?
-Emily Dickinson

Top
 Profile  
Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:30 am
Posts: 554
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:33 pm 
 

Xenophon wrote:
Oh jesus, this can't be about their facebook post criticizing antifa about their... er... behavior at messe de mort, can it?

Or maybe they think Eisenwald is a nazi label now :lol:.



Well if you are critical of antifa you must be a hard core, deathcamp loving Nazi right? :durr:

Top
 Profile  
severzhavnost
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:16 pm
Posts: 2300
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:47 pm 
 

@Ace Rimmer, yes that is pretty much how they think. Insofar as what they do can even be called ‘thinking’. But though this is damn stupid, it’s also dangerous of them to feed into such extreme polarization. They accuse the band of being “right leaning/ nazi affiliated”. WTF? Does right leaning not mean basically centre-right? If so, practically half of all people are potential nazis on their list.
_________________
Apteronotus wrote:
Mütiilation. There should be a missing I, not an extra one. Really a missed wordplay opportunity.

Top
 Profile  
Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:30 am
Posts: 554
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:48 pm 
 

I wish the communists and nazis would just wipe each other out and let the rest of us get on with life.

Top
 Profile  
ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:23 am
Posts: 161
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:51 pm 
 

Five_Nails wrote:
Holy crap, I couldn't help but check out Gaahl's other bands after going on a thought tangent and now I can't unsee this.


:lol: :lol: :lol:

Regarding this Uada thing, and full disclosure I too am a SJW commie, but it seems like the most egregious examples of this kind of thing have been happening in Germany where venues seem to be a lot more skittish about "Nazi affiliation," presumably due to the country's hate speech laws. This is also where the barely-known American black metal band Woe got cancelled due to once playing a show with Inquisition, in spite of being outspoken antifascists/leftists. It's totally bizarre the kind of bands that get targeted for cancellation.

We had a similar issue when Nyogthaeblisz tried to play a show here (near DC) about two years ago. The planned venue was a small Mexican restaurant iirc and the crowd would've been almost entirely working-class Hispanic extreme metal maniacs, plus a few obsessive dorks like myself. The only people I saw campaigning to cancel this show were a handful of local (extremely white) doom and prog metal nerds who wouldn't have been caught dead at that show anyway and had probably never even heard of Nyogthaeblisz a month prior, and they spent weeks afterwards gloating about the show getting cancelled. I thought this was interesting to say the least. I'm glad they were able to wring some Facebook likes out of the whole ordeal.

Still, I'd be hesitant to describe this as the epidemic some people online want to pretend it as, even though it's annoying and surely also counterproductive if the goal is to achieve any kind of positive social change.

Top
 Profile  
joppek
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:36 am
Posts: 1531
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:03 pm 
 

severzhavnost wrote:
They accuse the band of being “right leaning/ nazi affiliated”. WTF? Does right leaning not mean basically centre-right? If so, practically half of all people are potential nazis on their list.


not to mention the nazi party was leftist on the political spectrum - it's even in the name (national socialist). but of course they lost the war, so as always in those situations, the winner gets to call them whatever they want regardless of reality, and that's what history will remember :)
_________________
All the best bands are affiliated with Satan. -Bart Simpson

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 25785
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:13 pm 
 

joppek wrote:
severzhavnost wrote:
They accuse the band of being “right leaning/ nazi affiliated”. WTF? Does right leaning not mean basically centre-right? If so, practically half of all people are potential nazis on their list.


not to mention the nazi party was leftist on the political spectrum - it's even in the name (national socialist). but of course they lost the war, so as always in those situations, the winner gets to call them whatever they want regardless of reality, and that's what history will remember :)


Hahaha no, that is wrong and you should read more about these issues.

It sucks that bands who aren't affiliated with that stuff get in trouble for it, and I hope it all works out. I don't think it's really a huge deal though. It'll pass eventually.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: The House That Jack Built

Top
 Profile  
ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:23 am
Posts: 161
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:33 pm 
 

I'd like if people would stop conflating antifa cancelling black metal shows with leftist politics in general. Sure there's overlap and these are obviously left-leaning people, but in my experience here in the U.S., most of the people working to get black metal shows cancelled are just weirdo shut-ins who are addicted to the internet and enjoy the social capital. Actual leftist politics is an economic philosophy, and plenty of leftists (as well as people who care about the concept of social justice) couldn't give a shit about whether a "sketchy" band plays a show in the basement of some dive bar.

Also, lol at the "Nazis were actually leftists" argument above.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 25785
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:40 pm 
 

ingmar birdman wrote:
I'd like if people would stop conflating antifa cancelling black metal shows with leftist politics in general. Sure there's overlap and these are obviously left-leaning people, but in my experience here in the U.S., most of the people working to get black metal shows cancelled are just weirdo shut-ins who are addicted to the internet and enjoy the social capital. Actual leftist politics is an economic philosophy, and plenty of leftists (as well as people who care about the concept of social justice) couldn't give a shit about whether a "sketchy" band plays a show in the basement of some dive bar.

Also, lol at the "Nazis were actually leftists" argument above.


Yeah, this is all true. Not to mention this idea that antifa is equal and comparable to the Nazis running around right now. Both might've caused trouble for some people, but they're not the same thing.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: The House That Jack Built

Top
 Profile  
ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:23 am
Posts: 161
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:50 pm 
 

Empyreal wrote:
Yeah, this is all true. Not to mention this idea that antifa is equal and comparable to the Nazis running around right now. Both might've caused trouble for some people, but they're not the same thing.


Let's see how you feel when the violent antifa thugs are tipping over YOUR trash can.

Top
 Profile  
joppek
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:36 am
Posts: 1531
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:53 pm 
 

Empyreal wrote:
Hahaha no, that is wrong and you should read more about these issues.

ingmar birdman wrote:
Also, lol at the "Nazis were actually leftists" argument above.


you guys care to elaborate?

of course they weren't hardcore communists, but the party was built atop the german worker's party, and drove for things like free government expropriation of private land, and nationalization of industries. pretty much the definition of leftist politics. i'm hardly an expert on these things, but it seems pretty obvious to me

just for the record, i don't think the left-right political spectrum has fuck all to do with racism/bigotry, and i'm very much in the left myself (even for a finn) when it comes to economics, so don't think i'm trying to white-wash stuff here, or anything like that
_________________
All the best bands are affiliated with Satan. -Bart Simpson

Top
 Profile  
ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:23 am
Posts: 161
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:01 pm 
 

joppek wrote:
you guys care to elaborate?

of course they weren't hardcore communists, but the party was built atop the german worker's party, and drove for things like free government expropriation of private land, and nationalization of industries. pretty much the definition of leftist politics. i'm hardly an expert on these things, but it seems pretty obvious to me

just for the record, i don't think the left-right political spectrum has fuck all to do with racism/bigotry, and i'm very much in the left myself (even for a finn) when it comes to economics, so don't think i'm trying to white-wash stuff here, or anything like that


Well, I'm not going to pretend to know much about Nazi Germany's economic policies, but as I see it, the staples of the Nazi party (intense nationalism/economic protectionism and persecution of immigrants and minorities) are more closely aligned with modern "right wing" parties than any left wing/labor parties. I know it's more complicated than that, but those superficial similarities seem obvious. "America First" and "Britain First," etc.

But I agree, there's not much value in both sides calling the other Nazis like it's a game of hot potato.

Top
 Profile  
ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:23 am
Posts: 161
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:14 pm 
 

I appreciate you clarifying your point though. My kneejerk reaction was to scoff because in America there's currently an epidemic of right wingers trying to find creative ways to say "Republicans abolished slavery, it's actually Democrats who are the racists" and "Socialists are the real Nazis" and similar bad-faith arguments.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 25785
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:58 pm 
 

joppek wrote:

you guys care to elaborate?

of course they weren't hardcore communists, but the party was built atop the german worker's party, and drove for things like free government expropriation of private land, and nationalization of industries. pretty much the definition of leftist politics. i'm hardly an expert on these things, but it seems pretty obvious to me

just for the record, i don't think the left-right political spectrum has fuck all to do with racism/bigotry, and i'm very much in the left myself (even for a finn) when it comes to economics, so don't think i'm trying to white-wash stuff here, or anything like that


Most of the people being called Nazis now identify as right-leaning and are espousing racist views, sometimes including bearing Swastikas and repeating Nazi talking points about race, etc. So it's not just some arbitrary insult thrown around.

What you brought up about them being leftists is often said to disparage Democratic socialist politicians in the U.S., as if to associate them with Nazis with no real bearing. Labels change over time and cultural/social stigmas twist and distort all of this. Those on the right would take your examples and conflate them with the kind of racist, Jew-killing regime the Nazis are most known for. It is all very toxic.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: The House That Jack Built

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
cisgender

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 7609
Location: Spahn Ranch
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:03 pm 
 

joppek is correct that there was a lot of support for far-left policies in the NSDAP, but apparently he forgot (or never learned) that shortly after their gaining power, something called the "night of the long knives" happened and all the supporters of these policies within the NSDAP were arrested or executed.
_________________
https://entkunstete.blogspot.com/ - Logos & art

Top
 Profile  
HaPoStaPu
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:20 am
Posts: 52
Location: Armenia
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:17 pm 
 

So, their plan was to use these concerts to shake off the shackles of the Versailles treaty, to stop the communists in Bavaria and Berlin and so on from taking over, to unite all Germanic tribes in Europe incl those minorities then stuck in neighbouring countries, create jobs, end debt slavery, to remilitarise Germany, to kick out the Jews and so on? Wow!

I don't think the real National Socialists would have written apologetic messages though but would have taken on the communists in a beer hall or in the streets. They were hardened, disgruntled WWI soldiers after all.

Top
 Profile  
joppek
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:36 am
Posts: 1531
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:48 pm 
 

ingmar birdman wrote:
I appreciate you clarifying your point though. My kneejerk reaction was to scoff because in America there's currently an epidemic of right wingers trying to find creative ways to say "Republicans abolished slavery, it's actually Democrats who are the racists" and "Socialists are the real Nazis" and similar bad-faith arguments.


that's understandable - i haven't been aware of the existence of those kinds of arguments (which are obviously utter shit)

looking at the usa as a scandinavian, i don't really see much left-wing politics - i was hoping sanders would change that, but alas, here you are with the orange one (not that we don't have our fair share of terrible politicians here as well :) )

Empyreal wrote:
Most of the people being called Nazis now identify as right-leaning and are espousing racist views, sometimes including bearing Swastikas and repeating Nazi talking points about race, etc. So it's not just some arbitrary insult thrown around.

What you brought up about them being leftists is often said to disparage Democratic socialist politicians in the U.S., as if to associate them with Nazis with no real bearing. Labels change over time and cultural/social stigmas twist and distort all of this. Those on the right would take your examples and conflate them with the kind of racist, Jew-killing regime the Nazis are most known for. It is all very toxic.


like i said, i have no knowledge of this kind of thing being brought up against democrats - if i lived in the states, i'd be voting for democrats (who from my finnish perspective are still a bit too right-leaning :) )

some right-wing nazi sympathizer twisting what i say into their fucked up narrative is what's toxic, not talking about historical facts

droneriot wrote:
joppek is correct that there was a lot of support for far-left policies in the NSDAP, but apparently he forgot (or never learned) that shortly after their gaining power, something called the "night of the long knives" happened and all the supporters of these policies within the NSDAP were arrested or executed.


a violent move to retain maximum power (that has nothing to do with any policies) in the middle of a war, only a year before the dissolution of the whole party hardly defines the party's political leanings
_________________
All the best bands are affiliated with Satan. -Bart Simpson

Top
 Profile  
HaPoStaPu
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:20 am
Posts: 52
Location: Armenia
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:11 pm 
 

Hitler did kill off the more socialist leaning types but even high ranking people like propaganda minister Goebbels believed in socialism until the end. It's in his diaries. Obviously not internationalist socialism but nationalist socialism for Germanic people only. Jobs, support for families, classless society, stuff like that. Universal health care? Can't remember. They obviously had policies that appealed to people and didn't campaign with the motto Lets have a war!

Trump is an American capitalist, civic nationalist, not anti-Semitic (how could he be if his grandchildren are Jewish), reality tv presenter who might or might not have been groomed by Putin lol

Top
 Profile  
severzhavnost
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:16 pm
Posts: 2300
Location: Ottawa
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:29 pm 
 

Well, the political detour in this thread has been mind-numbing, and partly my fault. Sorry about that! :D But about Uada, I would really rather not believe they’re getting the nazi brush because they previously played with an almost-certainly-not-real-nazi band like Inquisition. That’s too feckin’ dumb!
A slightly less dumb explanation could be that the Antifa jerks are lumping in anyone with “paganism” in their lyrical themes with the nazis, because of the Third Reich’s ambiguous quasi-supportive attitude toward paganism. But that’s also quite dumb, because:
A) Nazi Germany encouraged interest in paganism as a purely academic study of Germanic heritage. Hitler had no time for the religion itself - his thoughts on that subject can be summed up as “Might makes right, and the pagans lost, so they must have been wrong.” So it follows that real believers in pagan revival have no reason to ally themselves to nazi politics.
B) It is quite likely that Uada do not even subscribe to old-style pagan revival anyway. The paganism that is common in the Portland black metal scene is an essentially atheistic new age nature worship - something that folks like Antifa should have no problem with.
_________________
Apteronotus wrote:
Mütiilation. There should be a missing I, not an extra one. Really a missed wordplay opportunity.

Top
 Profile  
HaPoStaPu
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:20 am
Posts: 52
Location: Armenia
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:44 pm 
 

Again, the NS were a mixed bag. There was interest in reviving Germanic paganism. SS soldiers were expected to leave (soft, Semitic) Christianity behind, for example. The couldn't openly go against then still popular mainstream Christian churches for the same reasons every POTUS has to pretend to love Jesus. People like Jung wrote about NS being a return of Wotanism, Hitler representing the Wotan archetype and so on.

Paganism in Germany (and I'd assume other European countries) has always been seen as a bit suspect by anti- fa types for the reasons you've mentioned and also used to be popular with neo-Nazis and such. Varg being a current example. Of course you also get the more pot smoking, tolerant, hippie type of paganism. No different than other religions really. Some people see Nazism in everything. Waving a flag during a sports game, military service, you name it. Funnily enough not in green politics (NS was quite green, into wind farms), anti-smoking (NS started first anti-smoking campaign), animal rights (NS against vivisection, on animals at least), vegetarianism (Hitler didn't eat meat) or indeed landscape painting.

Top
 Profile  
Natskygge
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:49 am
Posts: 73
Location: Denmark
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:58 pm 
 

joppek wrote:

droneriot wrote:
joppek is correct that there was a lot of support for far-left policies in the NSDAP, but apparently he forgot (or never learned) that shortly after their gaining power, something called the "night of the long knives" happened and all the supporters of these policies within the NSDAP were arrested or executed.


a violent move to retain maximum power (that has nothing to do with any policies) in the middle of a war, only a year before the dissolution of the whole party hardly defines the party's political leanings

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you're talking about. The Night of the Long Knives took place in 1934.

Top
 Profile  
tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:05 am
Posts: 4723
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:24 pm 
 

the nazi and fascist in general economic views can be summarized quite briefly in that the economy has to support the nation state. So yes its not extremely right wing free for all libertarianism, however this does not even make it remotely similar to actual socialist or leftism.

Top
 Profile  
Somar
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:01 pm
Posts: 262
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:04 pm 
 

So long as there are men, the idiots shall rule.
_________________
favorites of 2018 (so far)
Asphagor - The Cleansing
Vow - Gentle Decline
Autokrator - Hammer of the Heretics
Avslut - Deceptis
Svartidauđi - Revelations of the Red Sword

Top
 Profile  
Zodijackyl
Definitely Proportionate

Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:39 pm
Posts: 7291
Location: Longmont Potion Castle
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:30 pm 
 

Politics and history aren't directly relevant here, because this is a band that obviously is not aligned with the politics they are accused of having. It is absurd how accusations with no credibility have been accepted as a valid basis for bullying bands.

Top
 Profile  
Five_Nails
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:34 pm
Posts: 446
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:20 pm 
 

Zodijackyl wrote:
It is absurd how accusations with no credibility have been accepted as a valid basis for bullying bands.


What's sad is that it's becoming so much more popular. Well, maybe not more popular, but vocal enough to garner more press.

It's always been an easy way to ruin a comedian or a politician, and at least the politician ends up with words shoved into his mouth once in a while. How many comedians have been screwed over because of the words they said without the sarcastic tone to drive home the absurdity of their humor or the context in a bit?

Dry humor doesn't work in a culture where the written word is de facto and, even with the ability of anyone to pull racism out of any art they see, is the reality that someone who says outlandish things as a joke because they are outlandish gets so easily demonized just shows how skewed the line was in the first place.

I think it's interesting when it comes to the context of a comedian. Plenty of bands are so absurd that they are comical to those who don't take their music or lyrics seriously but when it comes to a comedian, even when they are saying something worth demonizing because it is outlandish enough to be demonized to point out its own absurdity, they get lambasted for it.

I'm not saying one band here or another comedian there is for or against anything, I think looking at art itself through such a serious scope is too easy a way to misunderstand what is essentially a show that people pay for.

Nowadays some people have to be so up front about the fact that they're not that thing they're portraying. Don't get me wrong, it's always been done before and there have been plenty of vocal critics of such a thing. I just had been under the misapprehension that society had grown up a little. Little did I know, it's just as dumb as when I was a teenager being an asshole pointing out the idiosyncrasies of society while the goalposts have moved, but I'm too busy trying to make some money to waste my time on every new complaint in a world where a hashtag is now a headline. When is it going to get to the point that playing a terrible person in a movie is enough to ruin your career every time someone plays the villain instead of simply typecasting an actor?

Like comedians, musicians should only really be torn apart for sucking or stealing. That's not the case though when sucking tops the charts, stealing is a genre, and movies cost too much for what little epicness they show when a computer can make massive detailed scenes happen.
_________________
I'm Nobody! Who are you?
Are you - Nobody - too?
-Emily Dickinson

Top
 Profile  
Grimbeard
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:09 pm
Posts: 159
Location: South Carolina
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:18 am 
 

Here Nazi, there Nazi, everywhere Nazi Nazi.

Top
 Profile  
Bates
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri May 18, 2018 11:28 pm
Posts: 74
Location: PDX
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:20 am 
 

Quote:
" Uada " should appear in Montreal in 2016, among other things, with the völkisch bands " Graveland " and " Forteresse " (*) and have not distanced themselves from it, but on the contrary, they complain about preventing the concert by Canadian antifascist. For us, such "Grey Grey" connections are a no-go, which is why we have assembled with the people of Swansea Constellation to clarify the facts personally.


From the Facebook translate of the post the band had linked to when talking about the initial German show cancellation.
https://www.facebook.com/PlaqueEV/posts/2383229968418956

Yeah, seems a fucking stretch.
_________________
Last.fm
Dreary Racket - A Collection of Bad Ideas

Top
 Profile  
Xenophon
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:07 am
Posts: 880
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:41 am 
 

Bates wrote:
Quote:
" Uada " should appear in Montreal in 2016, among other things, with the völkisch bands " Graveland " and " Forteresse " (*) and have not distanced themselves from it, but on the contrary, they complain about preventing the concert by Canadian antifascist. For us, such "Grey Grey" connections are a no-go, which is why we have assembled with the people of Swansea Constellation to clarify the facts personally.


From the Facebook translate of the post the band had linked to when talking about the initial German show cancellation.
https://www.facebook.com/PlaqueEV/posts/2383229968418956

Yeah, seems a fucking stretch.

Ha, so I was right, it was the Messe De Morts post!

Top
 Profile  
Five_Nails
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:34 pm
Posts: 446
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:22 am 
 

So is this "music-political 'minefield'" a thing or is it a witch hunt? I get it. There's complaints by both groups. Anyone want to try their hand at calling Nazi and anyone want to rebuff? Can I get some actual links that support the Nazi sentiment because that really intrigues me. Not because I'm a Nazi but really because I'd like to see just how 'controversial' the band's stuff is.

At the end of the day, I'm of that group that saw 'evil' as something intriguing. It's sad that it's gone so far the other way that, like a few comedians have said, the'll be bitching at their kids to turn off their lame garbage hippie music, put on something like Motely Cure, and will be worrying why their kids won't go out of their ways to disturb them. Pussification is something that Carlin seems to have gotten right in some ways.
_________________
I'm Nobody! Who are you?
Are you - Nobody - too?
-Emily Dickinson

Top
 Profile  
Xenophon
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:07 am
Posts: 880
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:50 am 
 

Five_Nails wrote:
So is this "music-political 'minefield'" a thing or is it a witch hunt? I get it. There's complaints by both groups. Anyone want to try their hand at calling Nazi and anyone want to rebuff? Can I get some actual links that support the Nazi sentiment because that really intrigues me. Not because I'm a Nazi but really because I'd like to see just how 'controversial' the band's stuff is.

At the end of the day, I'm of that group that saw 'evil' as something intriguing. It's sad that it's gone so far the other way that, like a few comedians have said, the'll be bitching at their kids to turn off their lame garbage hippie music, put on something like Motely Cure, and will be worrying why their kids won't go out of their ways to disturb them. Pussification is something that Carlin seems to have gotten right in some ways.

Actually, aside from "Snakes & Vultures" using "fuck" a few times, their lyrics seem to be totally G-rated. Like, this band's stuff isn't any more offensive than freaking Sesame Street.

Top
 Profile  
MeltedFace
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:29 am
Posts: 491
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:00 am 
 

Are there any specifics as to WHO is saying UADA is a "right leaning/nazi affiliated band"? This actually sounds like an open/shut case of libel/slander.
_________________
ngwoo wrote:
Cyrax666 wrote:
I also wonder what the reward would be for it? Perhaps a drinking session with them? A stroll through the woods with Abbath perhaps?


A free set of broken equipment

Top
 Profile  
CrippledLucifer
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 5:08 am
Posts: 388
Location: Denmark
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:23 am 
 

Bates wrote:
Quote:
" Uada " should appear in Montreal in 2016, among other things, with the völkisch bands " Graveland " and " Forteresse " (*) and have not distanced themselves from it, but on the contrary, they complain about preventing the concert by Canadian antifascist. For us, such "Grey Grey" connections are a no-go, which is why we have assembled with the people of Swansea Constellation to clarify the facts personally.


From the Facebook translate of the post the band had linked to when talking about the initial German show cancellation.
https://www.facebook.com/PlaqueEV/posts/2383229968418956

Yeah, seems a fucking stretch.



Just chipping in to say I loved how the german to english translator worked in correcting "NSBM" into "völkisch".

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group