Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:46 am 

Does anyone else here love Chicago's Novembers Doom enough to be anticipating a new record by them?
I am a huge fan of the band's initial stretch of albums from Amid Its Hallowed Mirth to The Pale Haunt Departure and especially their sophomore album Of Sculptured Ivy and Stone Flowers with its well sculpted (sorry) atmosphere and riffing. Everything that has come since has sort of flown in one ear and out the other. I can't believe how they moved away from their swelling and deep/emotional well of doom to something rather nondescript. UK's My Silent Wake currently scratches the itch ND left much better. I thought Aphotic had a few strong songs; like that numblingly somber duet with Anneke van Giersbergen. The Opeth meets My Dying Bride sheen they had over most of the music has since given way to something more desperately akin to Swallow The Sun, I find.

Anyway, a new album called "Nephilim Grove" drops November 1st. The artwork is their best in years.

Spoiler: show
1 - Petrichor
2 - The Witness Marks
3 - Nephilim Grove
4 - What We Become
5 - Adagio
6 - Black Light
7 - The Clearing Blind
8 - Still Wrath
9 - The Obelus

Thoughts?

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:51 am 

I tried their early stuff again some days ago, but they're just not my kind of doom/death metal band. ''Aurora's Garden'' is a great track though.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:08 am 

colin040 wrote:
I tried their early stuff again some days ago, but they're just not my kind of doom/death metal band. ''Aurora's Garden'' is a great track though.

I'm not sure exactly what albums you checked out, but you should know their sound evolved a lot between the Amid Its Hallowed Mirth debut and the For Every Leaf That Falls ep. I would suggest starting with Of Sculptured Ivy and Stone Flowers.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Does anyone else here love Chicago's Novembers Doom enough to be anticipating a new record by them?

Yes, I have all their work excluding their demo and live video. Likewise I enjoy their earlier doom albums most, but their newer albums are still enjoyable.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:11 am 

Byrain wrote:
colin040 wrote:

I'm not sure exactly what albums you checked out, but you should know their sound evolved a lot between the Amid Its Hallowed Mirth debut and the For Every Leaf That Falls ep. I would suggest starting with Of Sculptured Ivy and Stone Flowers.

I'm aware of the change. I had tried their first two full length albums, the demo and the EP. None of it really clicks.

Substantia_Nigrae
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:23 am 

Amid Its Hallowed Mirth is the only Novembers Doom album I need.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:27 am 

They have a pretty solid discography, in my opinion. I definitely agree that The Pale Haunt Departure was their final masterpiece and the stuff afterward has gotten a little samey and predictable, but it's all listenable and they've yet to put out a truly bad album, in my opinion. I felt that Hamarita was a pretty strong step in the right direction, changing things up with a more melodic and clean vocal-oriented approach, and Paul Kuhr has been really hyping up this new album the past few months, he seems genuinely excited about it and is saying it's the best album of his entire career so far, so I'm definitely curious to hear what they come up with this time. Cover art is fucking awesome, yeah.

I also consider Kuhr to be one of the most inspirational figures in metal, not just for his vocal and lyrical talents, but the simple fact that he's been able to maintain a 30+ year career (for those unaware, he has an incurable degenerative spine disease that basically leaves him in constant pain) with all the shit he's been through is honestly outstanding. He also managed to pull of a really amazing and impressive weight loss transformation (from 360lb to 180lb) in the last few years.

Anyway, it's hard to pick a favorite but Amid it's Hallowed Mirth, The Pale Haunt Departure, and Of Sculpted Ivory and Stone Flowers are all tied as my favorites - all three are 10/10 masterpieces. The Knowing and To Welcome the Fade are also fantastic.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:34 am 

One of their old songs has an amazing solo in it - I'm totally forgetting which one because it's been more than a decade since I've listened to it. Other than that, I've always felt that the best part of this band is their awesome album names.

exsiccation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:57 am 

I enjoy all of their albums, but found Hamartia kind of dragged and felt like it was going through the motions. I really enjoyed Aphotic and Bled White before it, though. They haven't put out a bad release so I'm definitely looking forward to this new one.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:15 pm 

For some reason Aphotic is the only ND album that has ever really clicked with me. Every time I try to check out a different record I find the songwriting a bit too meandering; never found anything else from them that has that same tightness and melodic sheen.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:54 pm 

The Pale Haunt Departure is a legit great piece of metal with a shitload of atmosphere. Haven't kept up with them much over the years, but nothing has compared to it of the albums I did hear.

Rosner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:56 pm 

LOVE this band! As everyone said, The Pale Haunt Departure is an incredible album, and so is The Novella Reservoir. I really liked Aphotic's progressive hints, and Bled White could be the band's best (though not my favourite by any means). Hamartia was a step in the wrong direction: the clean vocals weren't as good as on previous albums, and they were really loud in the mix. Not very good songwritting on that album either...

Wasn't aware they had a new album in the making! Hope is as good as the cover art, and hope they regain some of the progressive quality Aphotic had!

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:22 am 

Empyreal wrote:
The Pale Haunt Departure is a legit great piece of metal with a shitload of atmosphere. Haven't kept up with them much over the years, but nothing has compared to it of the albums I did hear.

Pretty much my feelings on ND although I have certainly enjoyed their other material here and there; that album just stands out and stands out in that genre in general.

Zephirus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:59 pm 

would love to hear a new album. the early material is excellent

if they could crank out some more tunes of this quality i'd be a happy chappy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Dkq6qa56w

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:05 pm 

I'm hoping their upcoming album turns out well. I have a major soft spot for The Pale Haunt Departure and Aphotic in particular, but the last couple seem to be getting more and more nondescript.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:52 pm 

Title track out
https://youtu.be/QabIdDVlnDM

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:15 pm 

Quite enjoyed that, will have to pick this up.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:11 am 

Huh. This was a pleasant surprise.

Reply to topic