Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:42 am 

Not sure how many of you guys follow the Lykathea Facebook page, but they recently posted an interview with Tomas Corn about his upbringing into metal drumming and his time in Lykathea Aflame (he briefly touches on Cult Of Fire as well, but only in passing comments). It's a fucking LONG interview, 2.5 hours, and it's in Czech so you have to read the subtitles which are shoddy as hell, but still get the gist across. But if you're one of those cult fanatics of Elvenefris, you'll probably find this intriguing.

Note - it's only the first 90-ish minutes where it's really about Lykathea Aflame, after that Tomas and the interviewer start to ramble about other stuff.

Around the 1-hour mark is when the topic of a 2nd Lykathea Aflame record is brought up, and while the subtitles aren't fully accurate, from what I gather is that it was planned for the early 2010s, but Petr didn't have a lot of time over the past decade to commit to the project. Tomas then got tired of waiting, and that's around the time he formed Cult Of Fire. Petr then had the time, but Tomas didn't because Cult Of Fire took off and they were touring, writing, recording, etc. and that's where he claims he truly found his calling. Then Tomas retired from drumming in 2022 :ugh: and that really put the kibosh on a new record.

As it turns out, apparently Petr already has an hour+ long album (at least the compositions, no professional studio recordings or anything). Tomas says that Petr has his blessing to do it with another drummer, but I gather that Petr doesn't want to do it without Tomas, and Tomas pretty bluntly states that he's the reason why a new album hasn't come out in all this time. I may be misinterpreting this, but I get the impression that Petr resents him for this.

That said, I wouldn't fully place all the blame on Tomas - as much as it sucks that your preferred choice of a drummer has called it quits, the album has become enough of a cult classic at this point that I'm sure there are other drummers who would immediately jump at the opportunity to do the sophomore record, perhaps even trying to emulate a bit of what Tomas did on Elvenefris if that spastic, sporadic style is so crucial to the vision. I get it, you have a vision, but Tomas is a grown man who's allowed to do what he wants and if your vision is so important and you want to put it out there, start looking for other folks who would love to be a part of it! I think at this point, Petr may be just as responsible.

--

Anyways, I'm not complaining about why there isn't a new record - I'm just sharing my thoughts based on what I heard in the interview. I'm also not 100% sure how much of this was already well known, as I got into Lykathea Aflame very late to the party - only within the last couple of years, yet it's become one of my favourite death metal records of all time - whereas I know there are some folks here who probably heard it the year Elvenefris was released. Maybe a lot of this is common knowledge.

Overall though it's a great interview and it's fascinating to hear about how strong of a vision Petr had, and the odd way it was recorded and pieced together. Worth checking out if you're a fan!

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:37 pm 

Yeah, I saw this posted on their Facebook, the other day. I didn't watch it though, since it's nearly 2 and a half hours long. Thank you, for summing it up, as far as the new album goes. Bummer to hear all this, but I can't say I'm at all surprised. Especially after so many years, of nothing really happening with it. I didn't realize that Tomas retired from drumming in 2022, or knew he was no longer in Cult of Fire anymore, for that matter. I see they have a new drummer now listed on here.

Reply to topic