Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Airflla
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:37 pm 

You could just use last.fm for that :thumbsup:

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:38 pm 

the16th6toothson wrote:
March 28th 2007...

Decapitated-The Negation

Okay, that's cool. I do like Decapitated. :thumbsup:

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:54 pm 

This thread should just become The Official 'Ask the16th6toothson what he listened to on your birthday' Thread.

Waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:56 pm 

Airflla wrote:

no

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:15 pm 

Airflla wrote:
Haha, yeah, I use that to plan what I play sometimes (ie, to get certain bands/albums to certain play goals, etc).

I always play full albums, sometimes fixating on certain bands, etc. I usually go on my impulses... if I get (positive) "earworms", I'll play those albums when first convenient, etc. Sometimes I'll look over my mp3 collection, my CD list, my CD rack, etc to determine what to play as well (eg, "oh, I haven't played Battlerage in awhile, lets play them!") Whatever leaps out at me and whatever my subconscious mind "orders" me to play. Sometimes reading posts on this board will spur me on to play certain albums (esp. if its something I haven't played in awhile). New downloads and CD orders I'll play too (sometimes in a mechanical manner). CD orders obviously take paramount priority, but unfortunately I tend to play albums once, file them, then forget about them.

I rarely/never schedule a list of albums to play for a day, usually once I get to the 2nd or 3rd album, I'll usually want to completely deviate and play something else. Usually, I'll get sick of albums/bands/genres real fast, so I find I have to mix things up a lot.

[edit] I'll also play via assocation or "chaining". Like one album will compel me to listen to another album with a certain element (whether it be vibe, lyrics, musical, country of origin, what I'm doing, nostalgia, etc). For example, going from Scanner to Gamma Ray to Iron Savior to Paragon to Grave Digger to viking-era Bathory to Einherjer to Vinterland to Unanimated to Eucharist, etc is a logical chain. Let me explain: Scanner through to Iron Savior is style/theme, Paragon reminds me stylistically of Grave Digger, Grave Digger's "Rheingold" is Norse-themed, Einherjer and Vinterland I got into the same year (1998 - nostalgia, I guess), and I received Vinterland, Unanimated, and Eucharist's CDs on the same CD order (nostalgia).

Last edited by ~Guest 76452 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Airflla
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:31 pm 

the16th6toothson wrote:
Airflla wrote:

no

Well technically you can, it's possible to look up your charts of tracks played for any retrospective week, and from working backwards on the recently listened list. So yeah, gimme a date and I'll tell you what I scrobbled on it :p

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:33 pm 

I think he's saying he doesn't like last.fm.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:31 am 

exactly MikeyC

lastFM...what the fuck is that RUBBISH!!?
...careful adam, easy man.... don't start to rant and rave about ipods, lastfm, metal thieves, posers, metal "collections" behind gigs of ram and what not,... it's ok... not everyone get's it, it's ok deep breaths...

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:33 am 

the16th6toothson wrote:
exactly MikeyC

...careful adam, easy man.... don't start to rant and rave about ipods, lastfm, metal thieves, posers, metal "collections" behind gigs of ram and what not,... it's ok... not everyone get's it, it's ok deep breaths...

Well, I don't use last.fm, either, and I don't download (on some cases I do), but I do have an iPod. So I'll see ya later. :oh shit:

ZarathustraHead wrote:

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:38 am 

the16th6toothson wrote:

Well, you're partially right, but don't forget, there are metal fans out there who do buy lots of CDs, make mp3s of them, and then play those. Last.fm is pretty much for those obsessed with stats though. :p

Grynfisher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:40 am 

the16th6toothson wrote:
...careful adam, easy man.... don't start to rant and rave about ipods

What's wrong with iPods?

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:42 am 

i'm gonna take the high road here, and just say "as long as you BUY the albums i can't hit you too hard"

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:54 am 

the16th6toothson wrote:
i'm gonna take the high road here, and just say "as long as you BUY the albums i can't hit you too hard"

Yeah, I buy the albums, but as Perdition666 said, I rip the mp3's from the CD and put them on the iPod. So what I'm doing is still legal. :)

This is kind of veering from the topic, though.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Boomhower
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:40 am 

I find it is all dependent on my mood. Though generally when I am outside my house listening to my iPod I just put it on shuffle, unless I am really wanting to hear something specifically.

Also do my B-Day lol.
Nov 21

Leechmaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:43 am 

After reading this thread this morning I decided to ditch the itunes shuffle habit and listen to all albums in order. So far today I've listened to:
Decrepit Birth - Diminishing Between Worlds
All Shall Perish - Awaken The Dreamers
Karl Sanders - Saurian Meditation
Aborted - The Archaic Abattoir
Emeth - Telesis (currently listenig to it)

I have to say that this method is much more enjoyable because it is soooooo much better when the songs link perfectly together. I used to on occasion listen to CD's on the computer in order, but that would only be for brand new CD's I had just got. I am no longer going to have my Itunes on shuffle and will always listen to albums in order :headbang:

SabFan1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:43 am 

Quote:
How do you listen to your metal?

Either on my computer in the evenings before bed, or on my MP3 player when I go to bed. I also use my MP3 player while driving around at work.

Quote:
Do you choose a band at a time to listen to?
Listen to albums in chronological order?
Genre by Genre?
Always have the random setting on?

I play music based on the mood I'm in at the time. If I'm feeling angry/pissed off then Death Metal is a good choice. If I'm full of energy and need a good release then Thrash usually takes care of it. When I'm feeling stressed out then Doom fills the need. If I'm in a happy/good mood then Traditional or Power Metal is a good choice. As far as what bands and albums I choose depends also. Sometimes I know exactly what I want to listen to, and other times I just search my music library until I find a band/album that seems to hit the spot. Sometimes I'll listen to compilations of different bands, sometimes I'll listen to different albums by different bands in the same genre, and other times I'll listen to a bands discography. It depends on the time I can devote to the music.
Find out I'm the chosen one,
Now it’s too late my life is done!!!

http://www.myspace.com/sabfan1

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:25 am 

I just grab a CD based on what I feel like. If I'm just sitting at home, doing nothing, I'll go over to my collection, decide on an album and away I go.

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:23 am 

Perdition666 wrote:
the16th6toothson wrote:

Well, you're partially right, but don't forget, there are metal fans out there who do buy lots of CDs, make mp3s of them, and then play those. Last.fm is pretty much for those obsessed with stats though. :p

Yeah I only just signed up the other day to see what the fuss was all about. Now I'm obsessed with stats...

I agree with the ipod statement. Macs in general actually, but that's another story for another time.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:30 am 

steady666 wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:

Yeah I only just signed up the other day to see what the fuss was all about. Now I'm obsessed with stats...

I agree with the ipod statement. Macs in general actually, but that's another story for another time.

Its sad that I don't even own an Ipod (or a Zune). I used to have some shitty Rio-Volt mp3-player that played CDrs /w mp3s on 'em 6-7 years ago. Once that piece of shit died, I never replaced it. More often than not, I do see the utility of a portable mp3-player, so I'll probably address that need eventually. I'm one of the few people who is content with 5 gigs or less though.

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:41 am 

Perdition666 wrote:
steady666 wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:

Its sad that I don't even own an Ipod (or a Zune). I used to have some shitty Rio-Volt mp3-player that played CDrs /w mp3s on 'em 6-7 years ago. Once that piece of shit died, I never replaced it. More often than not, I do see the utility of a portable mp3-player, so I'll probably address that need eventually. I'm one of the few people who is content with 5 gigs or less though.

Yeah I got some cheap iRiver from Japan for like 80 bucks a couple of years ago and I've listened to it maybe 10 times. Don't really like this whole trend of walking around with earbuds in your ears. Pissing me off to be quite frank. Plus now days I'm really worried about damaging my hearing and apparently those little earbuds do wonders... And people have them up so damn loud. I don't want to hear your shitty indie music when you sit next to me on the train!!!

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:47 am 

To be honest, I'm too paranoid to walk around in public with headphones these days. I prefer to have all my senses readily available. Funny, back when I was a teenager, I used to have my discman on me at all times, nowadays, you couldn't pay me to do that. I'm too paranoid of getting hit by a vehicle or something, or too neurotic of getting my CD damaged by the CD player.

A mp3 player would indeed be fantastic for doing housework and crap like that. (vacuuming with a stereo sucks since the machine drowns out the music)

I also go into horrible phases where I NEED silence (sometimes lasting weeks to months), so that's when I tend to do housework. :p

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:59 am 

Boomhower wrote:
I find it is all dependent on my mood. Though generally when I am outside my house listening to my iPod I just put it on shuffle, unless I am really wanting to hear something specifically.

Also do my B-Day lol.
Nov 21

sure thing, its almost 2 weeks from now, so time to dig back into 2007:

Dead Infection-A Chapter of Accidents
Hypocrisy-The Final Chapter
Morbid Angel-Altars of Madness
Napalm Death-Utopia Banished
Nile-Ithyphallic
Pungent Stench-Praise the Names of the Musical Assassins

the bands of the week were Dead Infection, Hypocrisy & Pungent Stench

LVB
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:04 pm 

I just go by what sounds good to me at the moment. Sometimes I'll just turn off a record that's perfectly good by any measure just because I feel like listening to something completely different. However, once I find this particular mood, I tend to draw it out over several days, weeks, or possibly longer.

There was a time not long ago when I listened to JS Bach constantly for about six to eight months with no break. I did listen to other stuff on the side, but it was mostly Bach.

NexusofThecrisis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:38 pm 

I used to always listen to the whole album all the time, but nowadays I only sit through an entire album without changing about five percent of the time. Last full album I listened to (besides in my car where i just pop in a cd and drive) was Rocka Rolla about a week ago, where I started to listen to one of the songs, and then just listened to the whole thing on accident really. Other than that, I usually listen to like three or four songs from the album and then get something else, especially with more extreme genres I get bored after 2 or three songs, so I'll probably never listen to a whole death metal album without interspersing it with other music.

O wait today I think I listened to all of Led Zeppelin 3, but not in order... go figure lol.

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:20 pm 

I usually listen to full album whenever I can. Sure, sometimes I get bored or realise that's not the album/band/genre I want to listen to but it doesn't happen that often.

As for keeping track of what I listen I tend to use itunes' last played date and the number of plays. The whole log idea is really cool though, I'm actually tempted to start one of my own. Also, the16th6toothson, could you please tell me what you listened to on my birthday (august 1st) and on august 15th 2007?

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:22 pm 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
As for keeping track of what I listen I tend to use itunes' last played date and the number of plays.

Yeah, I do that, too. I know what album I've listened to recently, the most played album, albums that have 0 plays so far, and so forth. That's good enough for me, I reckon. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Gothus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:23 pm 

Normally, for me, it's just close your eyes, point at your collection, and play the album you point at. Sometimes, if I'm craving some random CD, I'll just play that. I used to have an iPod, but I decided to fuck it after losing it twice ( :( ). Sometimes, when I don't have my laptop with me, I'll use a CD player+headphones.

slammysamman wrote:
HOW IZ IT DETH METIL WITOUT BREAKDOWNZZZ????

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:30 pm 

I don't really have a system. Sometimes I'll really be into an album and play it several times in a row.. sometimes I'll get a riff or lyric stuck in my head and decide to listen to that particular album...

Today at work, for example, I listened to Immolation's "Close To A World Below" 5-6 times, then Origin's "Antithesis" 5-6 times as well.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:04 pm 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
I usually listen to full album whenever I can. Sure, sometimes I get bored or realise that's not the album/band/genre I want to listen to but it doesn't happen that often.

As for keeping track of what I listen I tend to use itunes' last played date and the number of plays. The whole log idea is really cool though, I'm actually tempted to start one of my own. Also, the16th6toothson, could you please tell me what you listened to on my birthday (august 1st) and on august 15th 2007?

My birthday is the 11th! hooray for leos! we're lazy yet arrogant!

August 1st 2008:
HellHammer-Satanic Rites demo
Malevolent Creation-Retribution
Rigor Mortis-Rigor Mortis
Slaughter-Strappado

bands of the week: Dissection, Prostitute Disfigurement, Sotajumala ...though not represented by this particular day

&

August 15th 2007:
Benediction-The Grotesque+Ashen Epitaph
Dead Infection-Surgical Disembowelment
Gorguts-The Erosion of Sanity
Machetazo-Carne de Cementerio
Pungent Stench-For God Your Soul, For Me Your Flesh
Thanatos-Emerging from the Netherworlds

bands of the week: Gorgasm... though, again not represented by this particular day!

fun stuff!!!

WompRat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:35 pm 

i just look through my collection and then decide. more or less its usually some kind of power metal.

FragKrag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:31 pm 

I flip a coin; if heads I go with Thrash, if tails I go with Death.

secretninja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:45 pm 

Usually I let my day progress, and whenever I feel a specific feeling, a play a song to support that mood.
i.e. When I'm feeling all philosophical, I'll play Enslaved's "Heir to the Cosmic Seed".

P.S.
Can you do my b-day please? December 9th, thank you very much :)

Cephalopod wrote:
He thinks the gorillas 4 arms and dexterity will save it. I'm skeptical

Hollywars
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:01 pm 

For me, it usually goes thrash, death, black, speed and then starts over again. I always listen to a lot of thrash and black, but I don't usually listen to much death or speed metal.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:04 pm 

secretninja wrote:

Aeternus-Shadows of Old
CrypticuS-Dedicated to the Impure
Deceased-Luck of the Corpse
Desultory-From Beyond the Visions of Death
Divine Eve-As the Angels Weep
Merciless-The Awakening
Napalm Death-From Enslavement to Obliteration
Throneaeon-With Sardonic Wrath

bands of the week: Aeternus, Deceased, Desultory, Malevolent Creation, Merciless, Napalm Death & Throneaeon

....damn GREAT day and a killer week that was!!!

mordecai66696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:40 pm 

you gonna like it when you listen all the songs from that album

FiZzZiKaL
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:58 pm 

I just go through my collection and whatever catches my eye, I listen to.

P.S. Can you check my birthday? August 14th.

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:21 pm 

FiZzZiKaL wrote:
I just go through my collection and whatever catches my eye, I listen to.

P.S. Can you check my birthday? August 14th.

gonna do the last two years for ya on that one

2008:
Banished From Inferno-Banished From Inferno
BlastMasters-Twisted Metal
Monstrosity-Rise to Power
Severe Torture-Sworn Vengeance
The Crown-DeathRace King

bands of the week: Monstrosity & The Crown

2007:
Cerebral Turbulency-Germ of Error
Gorgasm-Stabwound Intercourse
Gorguts-Considered Dead
Obituary-Slowly We Rot
Pestilence-Malleus Maleficarum
SinisteR-Cross the Styx

bands of the week: Gorgasm

secretninja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:47 pm 

the16th6toothson wrote:
secretninja wrote:

Aeternus-Shadows of Old
CrypticuS-Dedicated to the Impure
Deceased-Luck of the Corpse
Desultory-From Beyond the Visions of Death
Divine Eve-As the Angels Weep
Merciless-The Awakening
Napalm Death-From Enslavement to Obliteration
Throneaeon-With Sardonic Wrath

bands of the week: Aeternus, Deceased, Desultory, Malevolent Creation, Merciless, Napalm Death & Throneaeon

....damn GREAT day and a killer week that was!!!

Indeed, that is quite awesome. :)
Napalm Death kicks ass, btw.

Cephalopod wrote:
He thinks the gorillas 4 arms and dexterity will save it. I'm skeptical

GSZX1337
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:54 pm 

When I listen to a new band, I get their whole discography and listen to their albums in chronological order. It allows me to see (...or hear) how the band has evolved to the band they are today. However, if I hate a fair amount of their discography I'll look at some reviews, forum posts, etc. to see which albums I should listen to.

As far as listening to whole albums and not skipping songs, I prefer to listen to full albums (especially albums that tell a story [like Judas Priest's Sad Wings of Destiny Album)], but when I don't the time (i.e. I'm on the bus, or just waiting for a patch to download) I just listen to the "highlights" of the album.

MaliciousAwesome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:22 pm 

For me it's usually a phase sort of deal. One week or couple of weeks I'll be in the mood for sludge maybe.. then grindcore, then prog.. all back to DM. Whatever I feel like basically.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next