Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Itheus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:19 pm 

I would strongly suggest The Amenta.

http://www.myspace.com/theamenta

I've taken a special liking to them lately.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:47 pm 

For all those who likes something more original I can recommend The Wicked from Finland, album Sonic Scriptures of the End Times.
It can be described as industrial avant-garde black metal.
http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=7110

very good stuff...

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:50 pm 

One album I have been enjoying is Havoc Unit's h.IV+, and I've always enjoyed industrial black metal ala Mysticum and Diabolicum. Frontline Assembly is also an addiction of mine, even though the newer stuff is more electronic than industrial..

----------------
Now playing: Dethklok - 24 i'm just a rock 'n' roll clown (dr. rockso)
via FoxyTunes

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:31 pm 

Another good monolithic industrial metal act for your ears:

Halo (http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=30752)

Slow, punishing, harsh noise mixed with the fuzz of a bass guitar and drums... a two man band originally from Australia which usually varies from harsh vocals to clean shouts. It really makes you feel like you're in the middle of a corporate-filled environment with factories reaching the sky and reeks of human hatred. It's droneful industrilal hatred.

Link to myspace: http://www.myspace.com/haloau

My eBay page which usually has rare OOP metal shirts and CD's: Click Here

diabolikon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:33 pm 

I like Hanzel Und Gretyl quite a bit, but their new album is iffy.

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:08 pm 

Fear Factory's "Obsolete" is easily one of my favorite albums. It had great music, then I read the booklet with the story behind it, and now it has so much more meaning. The only thing I'm really not a fan of are the obviously triggered drums, though I suppose it adds to the "Industrial" sound of it.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:17 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
One album I have been enjoying is Havoc Unit's h.IV+

Yeah, I'm probably going to be getting this one in the very near future myself. I've heard a couple of tracks and I liked it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

eViLbOrIs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:41 pm 

I would recommend Disillusion's Gloria cd. Amazing atmospherics, it feels like you're watching a movie with your ears.

And then of course there's Strapping Young Lad, whose City and Alien cds are essential.

frozenaeons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:30 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
One album I have been enjoying is Havoc Unit's h.IV+

Yeah, I'm probably going to be getting this one in the very near future myself. I've heard a couple of tracks and I liked it.

That album is very good. Easily one of my favorites within the genre. Can't wait to see what they put out in the future.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:16 am 

Fear Factory's "Demanufacture" album is the only Industrial Metal release I really own. Although I'm not even sure the electronic sounds on that album come from Industrial as much as they do Gabba and other electronic genres. I could be completely wrong, though. I'm not that well versed on electronic music.

Anything similar in sound to Demanufacture? I found that when I play that album really loud it effects me mentally - my thoughts become a lot clearer, I can focus on things better, etc.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:11 am 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
Fear Factory's "Demanufacture" album is the only Industrial Metal release I really own. Although I'm not even sure the electronic sounds on that album come from Industrial as much as they do Gabba and other electronic genres. I could be completely wrong, though. I'm not that well versed on electronic music.

Anything similar in sound to Demanufacture? I found that when I play that album really loud it effects me mentally - my thoughts become a lot clearer, I can focus on things better, etc.

You are lucky man. I have it opposite. when I started listening to metal I failed at university...

Architect696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:49 am 

Fear Factory and SYL really owns :thumbsup: Has anybody ever heard of a french band known as Dagoba ? the last album is aural punishment.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:36 am 

slavonic777 wrote:
TheUglySoldier wrote:

You are lucky man. I have it opposite. when I started listening to metal I failed at university...

Really?! Demanufacture was one of the albums I always used to listen to full-blast whilst studying/working, and will continue to do so next year. I think Glen Tipton's "Baptized By Fire" might have a similar effect.

Back on topic, one problem I find with getting into Industrial Metal is that there seem to be a lot of crap bands (True of every genre.) that aren't really metal, which is quite frustrating. I remember Metal Hammer called NIN "The Sound Of Future Metal" or something retarded like that. I don't read Metal Hammer as much anymore.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

superfetus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:04 pm 

Give Black Comedy from Norway a try. The riffs sounds a lot like Fear Factory riffs. However, I find the choruses pretty cheesy, and the band overall end up like a guilty pleasure for me...

Also, check out Miksha, another Norwegian industrial metal band...

diabolikon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:27 pm 

Now, I don't know if these guys count, but Deathstars has some appealing industrial metal. (Sorry if they aren't considered metal...)

Dismal_Deity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:20 pm 

Funeral_Shadow wrote:
Foxx wrote:
ForNaught wrote:
Early Pitchshifter is excellent. Industrial and Submit particularly are brilliant releases, such an incredibly opressive atmosphere. Like being in a factory, being pounded by jackhammers or something.

Yeah, I really like those releases as well. Industrial in particular is such a primitive release but the music is monolithic. I've actually been trying to find some more bands which are in the vein of those two releases but I've not been very successful in finding a lot :(

Swans (not in the Archives)

If you really love Godflesh, Pitchshifter and those affiliated monolithic style bands, Swans is to blame for that phenomenon. All, or at least most of the bands grabbed influences from Swans because arguably, they were one of the first groups to really play a slow, guitar driven and often doomy sound... at least on their first three releases. They also helped shape industrial music... the old school of it when industrial wasn't about being electronic driven. It's drone-ful, noisy, and reeks of a hatred of mainstream society. I highly suggest getting the albums Cop, Filth, Young God... and even their later apocalyptic folk orientated stuff is pretty good as well. Yeah, they're not metal but forget that for a moment and realize they possess a heaviness that most metal bands can't even reach.

Let it be known that Godflesh was pretty much a Swans-worship band... at least their self titled and Streetcleaner was all predominantly Swans influenced. Check out these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLnpFo8yPoM
Raping A Slave song... sums up their best times during their old school sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWkNlkyT2yE
First album "Filth" uploaded as parts with the full length CD. This is one of their rawest albums which has somewhat of a unpolished style, but you can hear the direction their music will take in future albums. You can definitely hear a lot of self titled EP Godflesh in this album as well.

Hope this stuff helps for those of you looking to get into more Godflesh/Pitchshifter sounding stuff.

Isn't the fact that Godflesh was influenced by Swans and Throbbing Gristle pretty well known?
Anyway, praise be to Swans. One of my favourite bands

For more Swans worship give Halo a go:
http://www.myspace.com/fearhatelies

GermanicusCaligula
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:11 pm 

I've never been a huge fan of this genre. Just kind of seems to lack skill. Kind of an excuse to play music(if you can even call it that) for talentless people. Ministry and Skinny Puppy are half way decent.

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:09 pm 

GermanicusCaligula wrote:
I've never been a huge fan of this genre. Just kind of seems to lack skill. Kind of an excuse to play music(if you can even call it that) for talentless people.

So guitar wanking makes music better you're saying? And at that it is actual music then? Hmmm... sounds very plausible.

GermanicusCaligula
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:08 am 

Funeral_Shadow wrote:
I've never been a huge fan of this genre. Just kind of seems to lack skill. Kind of an excuse to play music(if you can even call it that) for talentless people.

So guitar wanking makes music better you're saying? And at that it is actual music then? Hmmm... sounds very plausible.

Nah, I just prefer music to be, well, music. Samples and redundant looping, in my opinion, is not music.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:13 am 

Just discovered Infravision. Electronic-influenced modern death/thrash. Not bad at all.

6Ev6iL6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:54 pm 

Thanks! Never heard of that group you mentioned though.

One more group came to mind about similar Godflesh-worship groups:

Sonic Violence (http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=87904)

They're mistakenly labeled in their entry as "industrial thrash/grind" but anyway...

Definitely one of the best groups to check out from Britain with the Godflesh touch other than old school Pitchshifter. If you really really REALLY like repetitive and minimal music, then it goes no further than old school Sonic Violence with their first album "Jagd" in 1990 which in each song has very few chords, repeats through the song, reverb style drums pounding and lyrics are repeated a lot. The best thing about that album is their "buzzsaw" sounding guitar ala Entombed which makes it sound very gritty and heavy. Definitely worth checking out but fucking hard to find their stuff for download.

***If you're really interested, PM me for a download of the album because I recently found a link to it. And the thing is totally OOP so good luck trying to buy it.

Their later albums became more electronic oriented and lost the metal vibe. Still even that stuff is worth checking for some dark and repetitive goodiness.[/quote]

Strange you should mention this one. I have the old Hard 'N" Heavy Grindcore Special video on VHS and this band is "profiled" somewhat. The section on Sonic Violence makes me cringe, because I personally think they were absolutely awful, but to each their own. My point is that I remember that their "buzzsaw wounding guitar" actually comes from the use of two basses which are both heavily distorted. Now, it may be that I was strictly turned off from these guys based solely on the content of their appearance, which was just one live song with one main riff dronning over and over and over in several cut scenes. They may be a lot better, but this section would have been a poor representation of any band, unless they actually are that bad.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:22 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
One album I have been enjoying is Havoc Unit's h.IV+, and I've always enjoyed industrial black metal ala Mysticum and Diabolicum. Frontline Assembly is also an addiction of mine, even though the newer stuff is more electronic than industrial..

----------------
Now playing: Dethklok - 24 i'm just a rock 'n' roll clown (dr. rockso)
via FoxyTunes

I much preferred their last two albums as ...And Oceans. Those were electronic metal heaven. Their work as Havoc Unit is just really creepy and noisy which, for the most part, has prevented me from ever getting through h.IV+ fully.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:05 pm 

TheUglySoldier wrote:

You should really check out the first two Static-X albums. I know, I know, not "metal" as the Archives sees it, but I get the same vibe off of them as you are talking about them - they make the perfect sort of music to listen to to hone in on what you're doing, such as studying.

----------------
Now playing: Static-X - Push It
via FoxyTunes

Gompidge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:28 pm 

Rain (Pre Sybreed) and Sprawl are worth checking out.

Rain started off as Black Metal but gradually progressed into something slightly more extreme to what Sybreed are doing now. I cant stand Sybreed, mainly because of the vocals - I like Rain though. 'Starlight Extinction' was their last album

Sprawl are pretty mad 'Post' Black Metal, better than the majority of the 'Industrial' Black Metal going about.

Malignant Eternal's 'Alarm' may also be worth checking out.

Both Rain and Sprawl have band pages on here but their releases are quite difficult to get hold of.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:42 pm 

Funeral_Shadow wrote:

Nah, I just prefer music to be, well, music. Samples and redundant looping, in my opinion, is not music.

Music can be defined in any possible way one sees it. It isn't stuck to your rigid code of predefined attributes. That's a lazy excuse to not enjoy something and a perfect example of somebody who heard a band or two and automatically wrote off the entire subgenre based on a couple of assumptions. Come back when you can give a better argument.

Itheus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:23 pm 

Another industrial band I have been listening to lately is Laibach.

It seems I have seen a lot of extreme metal musicians mention Laibach as an influence, so I decided to take a listen. I like what I've heard so far, although their catalog is incredibly eclectic.

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:49 am 

I like some industrial music. Always liked Ministry, Fear Factory and White Zombie (Surprised nobody has mentioned them yet!). Nailbomb's Point Blank has some good stuff on it. Killing Joke basically started it all and they have some really good stuff too. I also like KMFDM and Skinny Puppy and was quite into Strapping Young Lad at one time. Never got into NIN or Rammstein although NIN's Head Like A Hole is a great song. Any other NIN recommendations? Perhaps I never really gave them a chance.

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:49 am 

enghell666 wrote:
MaDTransilvanian wrote:
Crick wrote:
Deathstars are fun, despite being fairly mainstream goth kiddy stuff. The fact that they used to be Swordmaster shows something for their melodic prowess and catchiness. The stuff after Wraths of Time was a crappy transition period if you ask me.

Plus, Deathstars' singer is Jon Nodtviedt's brother, and the drummer is Dissection's old drummer Ole Ohman. I like their second album alot, it rocks pretty well, especially when considering how gay a band with that particular image might sound.

It's not the singer that is Emil Nödtveidt, Jon Nödtveidt's brother, it's one of the guitarists.

My mistake. Either way, they're pretty damn good. Their overall goth imagine isn't incredible but the music rocks. I just heard their new single, Death Dies Hard, which despite the CG videoclip is a great song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWUmw2ITaFA

Architect696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:15 pm 

Anyone knows the french band named " Dagoba " ?

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:07 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Funeral_Shadow wrote:

Music can be defined in any possible way one sees it. It isn't stuck to your rigid code of predefined attributes. That's a lazy excuse to not enjoy something and a perfect example of somebody who heard a band or two and automatically wrote off the entire subgenre based on a couple of assumptions. Come back when you can give a better argument.

:thumbsup: Thank you! Know your shit before attempting to make a decent argument.

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:10 pm 

MorbidEarth wrote:
I like some industrial music. Always liked Ministry, Fear Factory and White Zombie (Surprised nobody has mentioned them yet!). Nailbomb's Point Blank has some good stuff on it. Killing Joke basically started it all and they have some really good stuff too. I also like KMFDM and Skinny Puppy and was quite into Strapping Young Lad at one time. Never got into NIN or Rammstein although NIN's Head Like A Hole is a great song. Any other NIN recommendations? Perhaps I never really gave them a chance.

NIN are alright here and there... a bit too pretentious of a musician if you ask me. I would say to check out "The Downward Spiral" which is their most popular album that features "Closer." But besides that song, that album does have a wealth of good music, like the first track "Mr. Self Destruct" that is a fast guitar driven track. But that album is nothing like "Head Like a Hole" or anything like that.

Something a bit similar to Head Like A Hole is the song "Starfuckers Inc"... aggressive rock with a great theme of celebrity worship.

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:26 pm 

Funeral_Shadow wrote:
MorbidEarth wrote:

NIN are alright here and there... a bit too pretentious of a musician if you ask me. I would say to check out "The Downward Spiral" which is their most popular album that features "Closer." But besides that song, that album does have a wealth of good music, like the first track "Mr. Self Destruct" that is a fast guitar driven track. But that album is nothing like "Head Like a Hole" or anything like that.

Something a bit similar to Head Like A Hole is the song "Starfuckers Inc"... aggressive rock with a great theme of celebrity worship.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check those songs out.

Naedra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:40 pm 

Architect696 wrote:
Anyone knows the french band named " Dagoba " ?

Yes they were the opening act for the In Flames concert my ex took me to about 2/3 years ago, I taught they were alright but nothing special.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:32 am 

Oh hai. Bump.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3