Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:15 am 

DrommerOmDod wrote:
To contribute, I think a lot of brutal death and death/grind bands ruin what could have been a somewhat-decent sound with their ultra-guttural sub-sonic throat rattling, which I refer to fondly as Toilet Vocals. Wormed comes to mind.

I mentioned that on the last page, with Wormed as an example. The music is good and all, but the so-called "Toilet Vocals" are, as you say, ruining what could've been a decent album.

It's actually a pity when referring to Wormed, because the lyrical themes are very unique and sophisticated.

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:33 am 

Marblebog - Csendhajnal

Painfully annoying, nothing really "hateful" about that performance. The vocals on Forestheart were so much better.

lolocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:31 pm 

some of gahhls vocals ruin gorgoroth. particularly live (black mass krakow)

keep of kalessins clean vocals arent very good either (armada)

1349s vocals can be a bit shitty sometimes (hellfire)

dont like dark funerals vocals either (diabolis interum)

arckanums vocals piss me off, theyre good but too much fucking reverb. (fran marder)

immortalsvocals sometimes make me laugh (battles in the north)

BURZUM!! (burzum, det som en gang var, aske) though they were good on HLTO and filosofem

thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:04 am 

I don't dislike Baloff's vocals, and they certainly don't ruin Bonded by Blood, but I may like Fabulous Disaster best, and I think Zetro is a very good thrash vocalist on the other hand. Anyone else think he sounds similar to Bobby Blitz? I've always kind of compared their vocal styles as being similar.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:35 am 

thrashfan07 wrote:
I don't dislike Baloff's vocals, and they certainly don't ruin Bonded by Blood, but I may like Fabulous Disaster best, and I think Zetro is a very good thrash vocalist on the other hand. Anyone else think he sounds similar to Bobby Blitz? I've always kind of compared their vocal styles as being similar.

I actually like the vocals on Bonded by Blood better than Fabulous Disaster.

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:41 am 

Avaddons_blood wrote:
thrashfan07 wrote:

I actually like the vocals on Bonded by Blood better than Fabulous Disaster.

Me too, Zetro reminds me of whoever it is of AC/DC attempting thrash :lol: Baloff has some weird shit going on with his voice on BBB but that's part of why I like it.

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:44 am 

Baloff's whole schtick was that he sounded genuinely crazy. The way he accents his words on the end is fucking awesome.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:09 am 

- Anything by Hirax
- Anything by Cross Examination
- Early Destruction

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:11 am 

Wra1th1s wrote:
I agree with Vio-Lence, Sean Killian just blows.
I know a lot of people will shit on me but

BALOFF

Seriously I like his ideals and all but he was crap. His Bonded by Blood performance was below average in my opinion and he wasn't much better on Another Lesson in Violence.

It took me a while to get my head around "Bonded by Blood" because of the vocals, but I've grown to like them now.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:15 am 

A lot of post-hardcore. Many of those vocalists are not only untrained and aurally challenged clean singers, but also incompetent harsh vocalists. Their clean singing techniques that are often closer to melodic shouting rather than singing are also quite cringeworthy.

Musically, there's a lot of innovative and interesting post-hardcore though.

caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:19 am 

Diamond Head and Megadeth would be high on my "great musicians, absolutely excruciating vocalist" lists. Lightning to the Nations for DH in particular, and pretty much any Megadeth album pre-Risk (which suck, regardless of dave's vocal skills),

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:57 am 

Nolan_B wrote:
Baloff's whole schtick was that he sounded genuinely crazy. The way he accents his words on the end is fucking awesome.

Abso-fuckin-lutely. That's the appeal of him, he's not great but he clearly doesn't care. He's just shouting crazily with little regard for quality, which is as thrash as it gets.

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:19 am 

DrommerOmDod wrote:
Me too, Zetro reminds me of whoever it is of AC/DC attempting thrash :lol: Baloff has some weird shit going on with his voice on BBB but that's part of why I like it.

A friend of mine thought Bobby Blitz on "Elimination" kinda sounded like Bon Scott or Brian Johnson.

I'll see if I can think of anything...I don't think I've ever had a band ruined by vocals.

Thulsa_Doom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:58 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
A lot of post-hardcore. Many of those vocalists are not only untrained and aurally challenged clean singers, but also incompetent harsh vocalists. Their clean singing techniques that are often closer to melodic shouting rather than singing are also quite cringeworthy.

Musically, there's a lot of innovative and interesting post-hardcore though.

I agree with this. I think Isis would be an amazing band if they got someone else to do vocals. Turner's clean vocals are really off key and his harsh vocals aren't all that impressive either. I can't stand Cult of Luna because of the vocals either.

Behemoth (Pol)
Violence
I agree with the poster who said Revelation\Against Nature. I saw AN live and they we're really good but I guess due to the sound setup I couldn't make out the vocals too well (or maybe I'd had a few pints too many) but I was pretty turned off by the vocals.

Bad vocals can ruin bands for me in ways that bad guitar playing or drumming can't.

Omnivore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:07 pm 

Amesoeurs. One minute you're listening to a quite enjoyable mix of post-rock and some black metal influence, next thing you know it sounds like some guy was getting the worst ball torture imaginable. I think Neige is a talented vocalist, but his vocal style as a black metal musician is for my case unbearable.

Was Vincent standing beside you while you wrote that, threatening you with sodomy?

Bass_Hero_90
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:53 pm 

agentsteel666 wrote:
I think black and death metal vocalists ruin the music with their voices.

there are a few exceptions (keywod: few) but as a whole i agree fully, and i thank you for saying it

CertainDeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:05 pm 

lolocaust wrote:
BURZUM!! (burzum, det som en gang var, aske) though they were good on HLTO and filosofem

I somewhat agree and on a side note, imagine some Burzum stuff with clean vocals? I think some songs would sound great with it (namely Det Som En Gang Var).

skyforestblaze
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:18 pm 

F.O.A.D.

agentsteel666
(Short) Buspass Holder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:39 pm 

Bass_Hero_90 wrote:
agentsteel666 wrote:

there are a few exceptions (keywod: few) but as a whole i agree fully, and i thank you for saying it

So there are some people that agree with me. To tell the truth, most people I talk to about music agree on this subject. I can think of at least 8 people I know and we all agree that everything is cool about death metal, just not the singing. We hear the guitars and everything but we just don't like the vocals.

But I'd also just like to point out that death metal can be good music to mosh to. I think I have to be in a certain mood to enjoy that type of music. I have to be really pumped up and full of adrenaline and I can get a type of rush from the intensity of the music.

By the way I took the time to listen to Morbid Angel's "Altars of Madness" in its entirety. I certainly cannot deny the awesomeness of this album. My favorite songs on it were Chapel of Ghouls and Suffocation. That said, it felt like a chore for me to finish it and it started to make me go a little mad as I got to the end. My feelings are mixed and they are fighting with each other; part of me thinks it is totally kickass but part of me is just turned off by it...it's like I want to like it but I get turned off by it involuntarily...It's like I love the feelings in the music, but I don't like the way it sounds. You can quote me on that...see if anyone can understand what I mean.

FateMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:12 pm 

The Great Southern Trendkill is a really good album...Pantera's best since Cowboys From Hell but Phil sounds like a right asshole.
Vulgar Display Of Power displayed a better vocal perfomance!

trueMunchies
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:42 pm 

Also, not really horrible and not that metal, but I can't imagine how much better would the Brian Johnson ACDC albums sound with Bon Scott instead.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:22 pm 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
Nolan_B wrote:

Abso-fuckin-lutely. That's the appeal of him, he's not great but he clearly doesn't care. He's just shouting crazily with little regard for quality, which is as thrash as it gets.

facks
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:14 pm 

the lead singer of hypothermia on Veins. there's one point in the first song where he squeals three times in rapid succession, and it sounds like a pig being stabbed with a red-hot blade.

Cephalopod
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:06 am 

Obituary without a doubt. Memorable (dare I say infectious) riffs, but I can't see anyone listening to this band except for humor. Tardy sounds like he has severe cerebral palsy.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:07 am 

Cephalopod wrote:
Obituary without a doubt. Memorable (dare I say infectious) riffs, but I can't see anyone listening to this band except for humor. Tardy sounds like he has severe cerebral palsy.

His vocals are extreme and they're supposed to be that way; can't have every band sounding like Amon Amarth's vocals. ;)

balkonas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:08 pm 

A lot of Japanese thrash band's has this problem,music is awesome but when the vocals come in.....I start laughing.I just can't stand it :D

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:12 pm 

Bass_Hero_90 wrote:
agentsteel666 wrote:

Death and black metal would clearly work with clean, melodic singing. Definitely.

_Aargh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:56 pm 

vashts80 wrote:
Death and black metal would clearly work with clean, melodic singing. Definitely.

Now that I think of it, Bolt Thrower's Realm of Chaos might be really awesome with John Cyriis doing all the vocals. I'm not kidding.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:52 am 

vashts80 wrote:

You would have to find the "right" singer, but I 100% agree...

WindsOvCreation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:55 am 

Any Nevermore album...thought the vocals are starting to grow on me somewhat.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:58 am 

Stratovarius "Dreamscape". This album has some of their most interesting music, but its hamstrung by particularly weak vocals.

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:18 am 

Empyreal wrote:
trueMunchies wrote:
I agree about Manilla Road. The music sounds like it could be nice but then, the vocals are just horribly wimpy and unconvincing, and I'm someone who even likes Angel Witch... "ENTER THE CITY OF THE DEAD!!!" it sounds like some 12 year old on counterstrike teamspeak.

Just listen to "Epitaph of the King" and "Born Upon the Soul" and tell me his vocals are weak.

Or The Riddle Master or any of his vocals on Voyager or Spiral Castle or on Mark of The Beast or on....

LokiGoddess
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:41 am 

lolocaust wrote:
keep of kalessins clean vocals arent very good either (armada)
1349s vocals can be a bit shitty sometimes (hellfire)

...but isn't this thread supposed to be about good albums with shitty vocals?

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:24 am 

Cephalopod wrote:

:shock: Tardy's vocals are among the best (if not THE best) in death metal IMO.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:34 am 

agentsteel666 wrote:
So there are some people that agree with me. To tell the truth, most people I talk to about music agree on this subject. I can think of at least 8 people I know and we all agree that everything is cool about death metal, just not the singing. We hear the guitars and everything but we just don't like the vocals.

Saying that "most people" agree with you isn't a very good argument when it comes to a discussion of death metal. After all, "most people" don't like metal at all. We've all seen the "that's not real singing!" type, it's not too hard to imagine that 8 might exist.

You have to narrow it down to the opinions of actual devoted metalheads. And you'll find that most metalheads would not agree with you.

Lagartija wrote:
Cephalopod wrote:

:shock: Tardy's vocals are among the best (if not THE best) in death metal IMO.

Definitely not THE best, but yeah he's one of them.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:18 am 

agentsteel666 wrote:
Bass_Hero_90 wrote:
agentsteel666 wrote:

But I'd also just like to point out that death metal can be good music to mosh to. I think I have to be in a certain mood to enjoy that type of music. I have to be really pumped up and full of adrenaline and I can get a type of rush from the intensity of the music.

By the way I took the time to listen to Morbid Angel's "Altars of Madness" in its entirety. I certainly cannot deny the awesomeness of this album. My favorite songs on it were Chapel of Ghouls and Suffocation. That said, it felt like a chore for me to finish it and it started to make me go a little mad as I got to the end. My feelings are mixed and they are fighting with each other; part of me thinks it is totally kickass but part of me is just turned off by it...it's like I want to like it but I get turned off by it involuntarily...It's like I love the feelings in the music, but I don't like the way it sounds. You can quote me on that...see if anyone can understand what I mean.

This is absurd. It took me a while to get into a lot of power/speed metal because I used to not be able to stand falsettos and wailing and such, but I understand the context within the music after delving into it more.

I prefer the harsher stuff but that doesn't make me listen to Blind Guardian and insist that Hansi just completely changed his style.

It'd be like saying you'd absolutely love thrash but the stupid fast drums ruin it. I mostly hear this sort of thing from people I've been friends with who don't really like heavy metal but are being polite.

I'll give you this much, you definitely consulted the best in the death metal realm. If Altars of Madness doesn't do it for you, then I doubt much will.

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:24 pm 

Lyrici17 wrote:
vashts80 wrote:

You would have to find the "right" singer, but I 100% agree...

It's extreme metal. Clean singing doesn't work in extreme metal. See how that works?

trueMunchies
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:01 pm 

orionmetalhead wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
trueMunchies wrote:
I agree about Manilla Road. The music sounds like it could be nice but then, the vocals are just horribly wimpy and unconvincing, and I'm someone who even likes Angel Witch... "ENTER THE CITY OF THE DEAD!!!" it sounds like some 12 year old on counterstrike teamspeak.

Just listen to "Epitaph of the King" and "Born Upon the Soul" and tell me his vocals are weak.

Or The Riddle Master or any of his vocals on Voyager or Spiral Castle or on Mark of The Beast or on....

I'm sorry, I just listened to "Crystal Logic" again and the vocals ruin it. Mark Shelton is not unique, he just sucks.

Masked_Jackal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:10 pm 

trueMunchies wrote:
orionmetalhead wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
trueMunchies wrote:

I'm sorry, I just listened to "Crystal Logic" again and the vocals ruin it. Mark Shelton is not unique, he just sucks.
:nono:

One of the first that comes to mind is Annihilator's Alice in Hell. I love the speed/thrash riffs and solos but I'm not a fan of the vocals, they just don't fit with me. I think it would've been much better if they got a stereotypical Halford-mimicking thrash singer.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:15 pm 

trueMunchies wrote:
orionmetalhead wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
trueMunchies wrote:

No, he doesn't suck, he's quite good. One of the better metal vocalists around. I even said that CL is the wrong album to choose to get an idea of his prowess as a vocalist. Did you not read the posts you quoted?

I'd also like to add "Tree of Life" specifically to the vocals on Voyager that stand out.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next