Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
RB2610
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:50 pm 

I found this just now while browsing plugins for Firefox and it seems a good idea as I often find bands on Last.fm and don't like to rely on the tags people give them which are often incorrect and MA usually has more in-depth information and discographies.

Anyway here is the link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3136

Hope others find it useful.

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:26 pm 

Did not take up any window-space at all, which is good because Firefox addons are often overstocking the window. Installed it already, let's see if it comes to any use.

sixhundredand66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:46 pm 

wow, this will be extremely useful for me, thanks for posting

FragKrag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:53 pm 

That is a very very good addon. Nice find, but I wonder why nobody ever mentioned it here!!

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:27 pm 

Funny because today I was looking through last.fm and kept checking MA for reviews on bands.
And this is pretty handy.

Last.fm

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:36 pm 

This is a nice, handy add on. Thanks for sharing.

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:08 am 

a buddy of mine sent me the link a few months back. Has been a little useful i guess.

Metal4ever88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:40 am 

I think I've had that add-on before on my old computer. Glad to have it again, thanks dude.

If God gives you lemons, YOU FIND A NEW GOD!

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:04 am 

Is there any way I can use this add-on for Wyzo? Wyzo is almost identical to Firefox, made using the same source code, I think..

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:06 am 

this is an awesome add-on, thanks a lot for sharing it with us. although i often have both the Metal Archives and Last.fm web pages open together, this is still very convenient. say goodbye to searching! (could there be one that worked for albums, songs, genres, etc. as well? 0_o )

also, has a thread been previously done where everyone on the MA forum who use last.fm post links to their profiles for everyone's viewing? i notice there are many aside from myself who also use last.fm, and i'm always interested in seeing what kinds of metal (and other music) people listen to.

Spenot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:06 am 

Wow, this is really handy, thanks!

Eurnonymous, yes, indeed there was, here it is: http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... light=last

Hmm, is it just me, or is the compatibility system completely fucked up? I'm getting very high and super compatibility with almost anyone who listens to metal.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:14 am 

Last.FM recently fucked up their previously awesome compatibility system.

FenrirsWrath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:29 am 

Thanks for the link, great download. Yea, my compatibility is fucked as well.

diabolikon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:02 pm 

This is really helpful! Thanks.

RB2610
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:47 pm 

Spenot wrote:

Eurnonymous, yes, indeed there was, here it is: http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... light=last

Hmm, is it just me, or is the compatibility system completely fucked up? I'm getting very high and super compatibility with almost anyone who listens to metal.

It's probably because all metal and a load of stuff that isn't has been tagged 'metal' with no sub-genre specified so anyone who has music with that tag will get a good compatibility regardless of preferences of subgenre.

redeemerofchaos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:39 pm 

FUck yes! Now i don't need to copy and paste into google to find it.

Spenot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:30 pm 

Damn, it seems that there are problems with bands whose names contain non-English characters, such as Negură Bunget.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:14 am 

Spenot wrote:

cool, thanks. and they were tweaking with it last i heard. i wondered the same thing. i knew i had some artists in common with a few people, but not THAT much in common.

also, regarding the add-on tool, a lot of bands and artists that are not metal or don't have a page on Metal Archives still have the logo next to them. i think it's a matter of clicking and finding out who has one, or if you already know they have one then using it as a shortcut. it's still a cool tool that i have already used several times.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:52 am 

Wow, I use Firefox, Last.fm and Metal Archives a lot, so this helps combine the three. Thanks for the heads up. Incidentally, everyone here should have a program called Metal Ad (Current version: http://metalad.knorf.de/urlcreator.php). Just type in your user name, select 20 logos and see what the result looks like. It's so pretty.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:29 am 

ENKC wrote:
Wow, I use Firefox, Last.fm and Metal Archives a lot, so this helps combine the three. Thanks for the heads up. Incidentally, everyone here should have a program called Metal Ad (Current version: http://metalad.knorf.de/urlcreator.php). Just type in your user name, select 20 logos and see what the result looks like. It's so pretty.

there is actually a new one that has ALL of the MetalAd logos plus artist and bands outside of the metal genre even, and it allows you to have 2 rows together of logos and a max of 25 displaying at once. the site link is below:

http://h3xstream.e3b.org/bandlogos/

on that page, there are even more extension tools for last.fm and also you can view the full list of logos offered through that site. there are always more being created too, but practically any artist it seems is on it. i believe it updates once a week or so, where as the other one you mentioned updates almost instantly.

Balth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:03 am 

Eurnonymous wrote:
ENKC wrote:

there is actually a new one that has ALL of the MetalAd logos plus artist and bands outside of the metal genre even, and it allows you to have 2 rows together of logos and a max of 25 displaying at once. the site link is below:

on that page, there are even more extension tools for last.fm and also you can view the full list of logos offered through that site. there are always more being created too, but practically any artist it seems is on it. i believe it updates once a week or so, where as the other one you mentioned updates almost instantly.

Indeed, that site is far superior to the one previously mentioned. There are more metal logos, plus logos of bands outside of metal.

Now that we seem to be on the topic of Last.fm add-ons, damn I miss OMI. :(

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:10 am 

Balth wrote:

whatever happened to it? i used to have one on my page, but it disappeared. i wasn't sure if i had ever deleted it or if it was taken off due to the add-on no longer existing. i think i would have taken it off sooner or later anyways, but i do have enough add-ons at the moment.

also, if anyone is interested, there is a Last.fm 'Stats' group you can join. there are also links and descriptions of many different tools you can use regarding last.fm and your page, plus more. http://www.last.fm/group/Stats

RB2610
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:30 pm 

Balth wrote:

Yeah, I found it amusing how I had a better OMI than a supposedly open minded non-metal friend (who now listens to metal :D ) although most of what I scrobbled was metal, obscure sub-genres ftw!!

Balth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:30 pm 

Eurnonymous wrote:
Balth wrote:

whatever happened to it? i used to have one on my page, but it disappeared. i wasn't sure if i had ever deleted it or if it was taken off due to the add-on no longer existing. i think i would have taken it off sooner or later anyways, but i do have enough add-ons at the moment.

I'll quote the creator of OMI here:
Quote:
sorry OMI is down at the moment, caused by to many regeneration requests and the server comming to a limmit, we have a Monthly data transfare of 10-20Gb of data and just with the small graphics we need to think now about a solution or finding a single server just for this service SORRY!

and
Quote:
a server with fast disks and 4 gig memory would help but i cant afford that on my own

I would've thought that, with so many OMI users and fans, somebody would have helped him with the expenses by now. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:01 pm 

Balth wrote:
Eurnonymous wrote:
ENKC wrote:

Indeed, that site is far superior to the one previously mentioned. There are more metal logos, plus logos of bands outside of metal.

That's funny, I'd looked at that site the other day and couldn't find the logo generator page. I'm not sure I really want a bunch of rock and punk logos chucked in with all my awesome metal logos though.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.