Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
KolmeNoitaa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:42 pm 

Necroghast wrote:
Honestly, sewing is one of the easiest things you can possibly do. Just pin the patch on and go in and out with a needle and thread all the way around.

Then you haven't seen my sewing jobs...

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:30 pm 

the_raytownian wrote:
inhumanist wrote:
Any ideas how to get rid of the remnants of iron-on patches that have been removed?

Put a patch over it! :thumbsup:
Useless advice, but I think it works... Or just learn to appreciate the character it adds to your jacket.

I've never attempted it, buy maybe you can put an iron on the glue and then try to scrub it up with a damp towel or a rough sponge while it's still tacky from the iron. Something to try, anyway.

Problem is, I removed them because I decided those spots didn't need any patches. I tried heating the stuff with a lighter but that just fused it to the fabric even more. I guess I'll just blacken the crap with a marker so at least it fits the color of the jacket.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:20 pm 

This is basically mine:

All bands pretty well known, excepting the 'Ogre Tattoo' patch. I'm planning on getting another jacket and put a Varathron or an Arghoslent huge back patch on it.

phillychease
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:49 am 

Hi guys! I just ordered my vest and some patches and am going to make my first vest!
How will I sew on a embroidered patch? Do I sew inside the border?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:55 am 

Kveldulfr: Awesome jacket. Simple but sweet.

KolmeNoitaa wrote:
Necroghast wrote:
Honestly, sewing is one of the easiest things you can possibly do. Just pin the patch on and go in and out with a needle and thread all the way around.

Then you haven't seen my sewing jobs...

I sewed a patch onto my vest while wearing it on a moving train and it looks alright!

phillychease wrote:
Hi guys! I just ordered my vest and some patches and am going to make my first vest!

Depending on the colors of the patch/border/thread, I'll sew it on the border if the thread matches that, or just inside of that if it matches the background. I've used black thread for everything.

AsinineUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:35 am 

the_raytownian wrote:
inhumanist wrote:
Any ideas how to get rid of the remnants of iron-on patches that have been removed?

This ain't 1980, and I don't think any of us are living in a slum. Dental floss as an alternative to an actual good, quality thread is really pointless and absurd in this day and age, plus it reeks of so much phony Punk posturing (and mint). Seriously, go to any craft/fabrics store. Thread is cheap! It's really not even worth whatever pennies you'd maybe save using dental floss.

I mean, floss might be cheaper/better value if you get your crappy thread from the ridiculously limited selection available at Wal-Mart, but an actual fabrics store has an incredibly wide variety of threads in all types and price ranges, and none of them have waxy coatings on them...

Yeah, speak for yourself. Plus, it's usually just lying around the house, so it's readily available.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:51 pm 

phillychease wrote:

For best results, I sew inside the border, right at the edge of the embroidery, and then sew in a loop around the embroidered border.
Holds great, and it looks a lot sharper than having the edges flopping up, and they will eventually start to do that if you don't sew a loop to hold down the border section.

I just use a really thin thread that matches the border color. You can't even see it, really.

Last edited by the_raytownian on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:58 pm 

AsinineUsername wrote:
Yeah, speak for yourself. Plus, it's usually just lying around the house, so it's readily available.

I'm speaking for, I'm pretty sure, most people who aren't 16 year old suburban punk rawkers who think using floss makes them feel like they're somehow giving the finger to the establishment because it's "unorthodox" and "more DIY" to use gummy tooth-cleaning floss bought at the store over actual thread bought at the same store. But yeah, whatever, man. Up the punx.

I have more thread than I do dental floss, personally. Ever tried flossing with thread? I have. Not fun.

Simple fact is: You don't live in a slum, of that I am sure. So just use thread, geez! Floss frays terribly anyway.

Either way, I'm not trying to insinuate anything about you, so don't take it that way, please. But I think most anyone's going to think you're a clueless PUNXROCK Casualties fan if you mention sewing your shit together with dental floss in this day and age. I also know for a fact that sewing with dental floss sucks, and I feel people (including yourself) could benefit from being told there's better options than using dental floss. Thick, synthetic thread is so cheap. and you can get hair-thin embroidery thread that won't snap before making your fingers bleed if you try to break it forcibly...

PS: I just snapped a strand of dental floss with my fingers (yes, I floss right at my computer desk, so I had it on hand. not shitting), and my fingers aren't bleeding.

AsinineUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:20 pm 

the_raytownian wrote:
AsinineUsername wrote:

I'm speaking for, I'm pretty sure, most people who aren't 16 year old suburban punk rawkers who think using floss makes them feel like they're somehow giving the finger to the establishment because it's "unorthodox" and "more DIY" to use gummy tooth-cleaning floss bought at the store over actual thread bought at the same store. But yeah, whatever, man. Up the punx.

I have more thread than I do dental floss, personally. Ever tried flossing with thread? I have. Not fun.

Simple fact is: You don't live in a slum, of that I am sure. So just use thread, geez! Floss frays terribly anyway.

Either way, I'm not trying to insinuate anything about you, so don't take it that way, please. But I think most anyone's going to think you're a clueless PUNXROCK Casualties fan if you mention sewing your shit together with dental floss in this day and age. I also know for a fact that sewing with dental floss sucks, and I feel people (including yourself) could benefit from being told there's better options than using dental floss. Thick, synthetic thread is so cheap. and you can get hair-thin embroidery thread that won't snap before making your fingers bleed if you try to break it forcibly...

PS: I just snapped a strand of dental floss with my fingers (yes, I floss right at my computer desk, so I had it on hand. not shitting), and my fingers aren't bleeding.

How the fuck would you know? I like you Ray, but you make some shitty fucking assumptions about people sometimes...

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:22 pm 

Well for one thing you post on a metal forum. :oh shit:

AsinineUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:50 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Well for one thing you post on a metal forum. :oh shit:

"While the audience for metal is mainly “white, male, lower/middle class youth"

Besides, you're assuming I'm not sitting in a McDonalds, using the free wifi.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:24 pm 

Why the hell is there an argument about sewing with dental floss? Why the fuck would anyone even suggest sewing with dental floss as anything other than an emergency fix for something? What are you, MacGyver without a cause?

You own a vest/jacket and somehow acquire patches, yet you can't get a spool of thread and a needle? Either you order patches online, or you get them at stores/shows. You can come across a spool of thread and a needle for under five dollars in those adventures. It's really, really easy to find some basic black thread, you can probably even find it in most supermarkets and convenience stores in one form or another. You need to acquire stuff from these stores in one form or another to survive. If you don't have the three dollars to buy a spool of thread and a few sewing needles to sew on those patches that cost more than it, then you should certainly already have thread to fix clothes that inevitably need repairs. Most of this rant is egregious, but are you really that dumb?

Advocating for using dental floss instead of thread is like preaching that everyone should open their beer with a toothbrush instead of spending a couple bucks on a bottle opener. You're already using this as a means to use a product that likely costs more than the tool you're eliminating, that most households already have, and can be purchased just about anywhere.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:37 pm 

But it's not trashy and DIY bro!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

AsinineUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:42 pm 

It's really not a big fucking deal, it's just easier to do. You people are making way too big a deal out of this.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:06 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Advocating for using dental floss instead of thread is like preaching that everyone should open their beer with a toothbrush instead of spending a couple bucks on a bottle opener..

:lol: this made my night! thank you

Rex Maskimus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:54 am 

So the dental floss thing is also going here? Funny this weekend I was talking with a vagrant punk and he went so deep in it that he suggested I use dental floss in my sewing machine! I doubt we can say THAT is easier. :lol:

Perfect thing to give a messy cross-stitch look to patch borders, but otherwise... real sewing thread will slice you open and not break. Anyway it only becomes DIY when you've rolled in bear crap and built a shelter out of your trousers and fishing line while eating raw porcupine. :nods:

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:32 am 

So guys, I just got my first vest and I have a few questions.

What are the most reliable websites to get patches from? I know Hell's Headbangers, but what about Metal Devastation? Or any other good ones based in the US that don't charge a fuckton for shipping?

I have access to a mother, a sister, and a girlfriend so sewing is not gonna be a problem.

bloodmyst
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:47 am 

Metal Devastation is good. Also check out Abyss Records, and just plain eBay with PayPal. I recommend a seller there named "mextremista".

A quick testament to PayPal: I ordered a Venom patch not long ago, and the ad claimed 4"x4" in size, but it ended up being only about half that size. PayPal made sure I got my money back, and I even got to keep the patch.

Do yourself a favor and sew it on yourself though. Making some woman do it lends nothing to the credibility of the vest, and you won't have the same feeling of pride for taking the time and effort to hand sew.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:07 am 

Yeah, using women as sewing machines because you are too lazy/moronic (in that case you probably can't be trusted to tie your shoes or wipe your ass either) is fucking lame.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:53 am 

inhumanist wrote:
Yeah, using women as sewing machines because you are too lazy/moronic (in that case you probably can't be trusted to tie your shoes or wipe your ass either) is fucking lame.

Whoa, someone finally expressed my opinion on this better than I ever could have. Thanks.
I'm not even sure if the poster was just joking or not, but still.

Eh_Timeghoul
Be gentle, I was... Born This Way

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:40 pm 

the_raytownian wrote:
inhumanist wrote:

Whoa, someone finally expressed my opinion on this better than I ever could have. Thanks.
I'm not even sure if the poster was just joking or not, but still.

+how can one take pride in work they didn't do with one's own hands? it's sewing, it's simple as fuck....humanity's done it for a couple thousand years, get with program-DIY OR DIE. getting other people to sew your patches is the same convenience-oriented shitheadery that brought on horseshit like pre-ripped jeans......fuck that

question: been meaning to make a backpatch out of an extra Timeghoul longsleeve i got, found a nice, thick material-ed, jacket at a second hand store that i'm planning on using to reinforce it and give it some strength....my question is, as i was gonna glue it on the material before sewing it, is superglue a good idea? or should i make the effort to actually find some legit fabric glue? i ask cause i got a bunch of superglue lying around (for matters of ETERNAL WAR) but i can't remember if that's a no-no

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:38 pm 

I personally would use fabric glue as the super glue will probably leak through the tshirt material and make crusty spots.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:45 pm 

It was a joke, I know how to sew, no worries.
Just thought it would fit in the the whole dental floss discussion going on.

What is a good price for a backpatch? I know you can't put a price on your favorite bands, but is 16 bucks usually the running price? I'm thinking of ordering from Metal Devastation, they have some amazing patches in there.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:04 pm 

Depends on the quality. I bought my embroidered and logo-shaped Immortal and Bathory backpatches for similar prices, exchange rate considered.

bloodmyst
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:00 pm 

TheMysticWombat wrote:
What is a good price for a backpatch? I know you can't put a price on your favorite bands, but is 16 bucks usually the running price? I'm thinking of ordering from Metal Devastation, they have some amazing patches in there.

Yep. 16 bucks is about right usually. Of course there are exceptions.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:19 pm 

Got a backpatch in the mail. Thinking about something like this layout on the back. First I need an other vest. This ones too big.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:30 pm 

Whole new batch or patches, Negura Bunget, Agalloch, Gris, Altar of Plagues, Fen, Sombres Forets, Amesoeurs, Lantlos and Austere. I'll post some pictures soon

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:37 pm 

Almost had a panic attack, couldn't find old Betsy, but lo and behold she was hiding at the bottom of the closet again. Here she is, missing a lot of pins/badges:

ImageRL]

Lord Insanus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:41 pm 

waiguoren wrote:
Almost had a panic attack, couldn't find old Betsy, but lo and behold she was hiding at the bottom of the closet again. Here she is, missing a lot of pins/badges:

ImageRL]

Why did you put a bear-face pin on it? :D

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:56 am 

Lord Insanus wrote:
Why did you put a bear-face pin on it? :D

Bear-face pin??? That's not a bear-face pin, that's Carlito The Cowardly! My best friend and drinking partner.

phantaz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:51 am 

gotta love that bloody f0cking back patch :D

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:36 pm 

As much as I adore the cover art of Storm of the Light's Bane, the patches with it are really off. :|

Good vest, anyhow.

666Emperor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:58 pm 

Here's my leather at the moment. I'm probably going to add Ildjarn and Tenhi logo patches to it and change the Falkenbach logo to a white one.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:06 pm 

That Archgoat backpatch <3 I always wanted a leather vest but I think I'll prefer a black denim one.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:41 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
As much as I adore the cover art of Storm of the Light's Bane, the patches with it are really off. :|

Good vest, anyhow.

that and a good portion of woven patches look like garbage. i just stick to embroidered myself..which i seem to be collecting for, fuck the apocalypse or something.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:51 pm 

Putting together a whole new batch of patches: Cormorant, Alda, Horn, Alcest, Les Discrets, Nest, ColdWorld, Irminsul, Dordeduh, Panopticon and Drudkh. Once I've got those I will post definitely post pictures.

CuernosdeChivo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:10 am 

these are mine jackets.

The first one:

In Brazil is hard to find patches of quality and with a affordable price, then the solution was to paint most of my patches, like misfits, slayer, kiss, Judas Priest and others.

The army jacket

I decided to keep it simple just with the Impaled Nazarene Backpatch

The Leather Jacket

With the backpatch of my band FETO.Originally the band was just the reason for the reunion of a few friends.as we are all big fans of venom and beer, we had the idea of ​​making our logo as the venom, with the detail of the goat being drunk. as the band grew and began to releasing works, we later changed the logo, but some pieces with the old logo still exist.

The new jacket

Still in progress...

Hope you like it. Stay Metal.

666Emperor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:14 am 

Necroghast wrote:
Putting together a whole new batch of patches: Cormorant, Alda, Horn, Alcest, Les Discrets, Nest, ColdWorld, Irminsul, Dordeduh, Panopticon and Drudkh. Once I've got those I will post definitely post pictures.

WHERE did you get a Nest patch???

AsinineUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:04 am 

I'll never understate the appeal of leather vests...

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:02 am 

Did you mean "understand"?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 88  Next