Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:07 pm 

Bruitiste wrote:
Speaking of tricky sewing... what do you guys do when putting a patch over a pocket? Is it a futile endeavor to try to keep the pocket functional, do you just sew right through them? Sorry if this was answered earlier in the thread, I'm still catching up...

For the breast pockets it's pretty much a futile endeavor, but with the pockets in the bottom of the front you can usually keep the pocket functional in my experience. You just have to hold the pocket open and make sure you don't sew through it as much as possible.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:09 pm 

Titty-pox: If you don't mind using a little fabric glue, that can work to keep patches in place. It's still a bitch to sew, but that will make the process ten times easier to manage.

It also may be useful to get some curved needles (you can get those in just about an store)... I never owned a thimble, but if sewing over a pocket without sewing it closed, I think a thimble would really come in handy when pushing the needle through thick fabric with little maneuvering space.

It's still a bit of a PITA, but you can definitely keep the waist pockets functional. My jacket has pockets inside and outside, and it's made in such a way that you have to put your hand into the INSIDE pocket to keep from sewing the outside pocket closed... Something to make sure you check before beginning...

PS: Depending on the size, shape, area of the pocket the patch covers, you may only have to avoid sewing down the upper portion of the pocket. I think the hardest part not to sew down is generally also the least concern, because, even with a little less space, the pocket is still functional if it's spacious enough to hold a wallet or something.

Bruitiste
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:18 pm 

Good tips and smart thinking all around in these last couple posts, thanks.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:02 pm 

analog_winter wrote:
Bruitiste wrote:
Speaking of tricky sewing... what do you guys do when putting a patch over a pocket? Is it a futile endeavor to try to keep the pocket functional, do you just sew right through them? Sorry if this was answered earlier in the thread, I'm still catching up...

For the breast pockets it's pretty much a futile endeavor, but with the pockets in the bottom of the front you can usually keep the pocket functional in my experience. You just have to hold the pocket open and make sure you don't sew through it as much as possible.

Yeah I agree. I have kept them all functional on one of mine, but I raged a lot throughout as I stabbed myself, sewed it badly and had to redo, etc. From now on I don't bother with the breast pockets but I do keep the front ones functional and I have been glad I did.

cahuich
Chemical Sexican

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:40 pm 

I keep the front pockets functional, they're good for holding spare change, tickets, etc.
I use a sewing machine to sew the patch below the bottom of the pocket and then hand sew the remaining.

Natskygge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:42 am 

Bruitiste wrote:

I don't think it was as hard as others have said. Hard, yes, but definitely not impossible. Just use plenty of pins to keep it in place while sewing. But in the end it probably depends on how used you are to sewing.

Bruitiste
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:09 pm 

As I don't think I'm going to use the breast pockets anyway, I've decided to sew through them (also I hadn't sewed in forever before starting this so I'm no way an expert.) I plan on keeping the regular pockets functional though.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:41 am 

You can keep the breast pockets functional, just use the shortest needle you can find. Depending on the size of the patch you can either align it with the bottom of the pocket so you can sew all the way through at the bottom of the patch and not affect the pocket's functionality or just sew the sides and top of the patch well and leave the bottom unsewn.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:41 pm 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
You can keep the breast pockets functional, just use the shortest needle you can find. Depending on the size of the patch you can either align it with the bottom of the pocket so you can sew all the way through at the bottom of the patch and not affect the pocket's functionality or just sew the sides and top of the patch well and leave the bottom unsewn.

Good points, I've been using standard length needles, and yeah leaving the top or bottom of a pocket patch unsewn can save time.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:28 pm 

Got myself a nice leather jacket a few days ago, works perfect with my vest. My vest is now filled with patches, and i have a few pins and buttons on it to:

New patches since my last post should be the Sabbat and Sigh patch.
One pin on each of the pockets, ''Drowning the Light'' and ''Graveland''

New here is the Goatmoon, Panopticon and Summoning patch.
The Summoning patch was given to my good friend in Poland when I was visiting here about a month ago. So it means a lot to me, and of course it's an amazing band!

Will add more buttons and pins from now on I think, I have a ''Horna'' pin I need to find a nice place for.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:35 pm 

That is a very cool vest and jacket forestcorpse, I especially like the Panopticon, Drudkh, and Bathory patches.

FastAsAShark
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:38 pm 

just started my vest last night, and this is what ive got done so far

Have to wait until payday so i can buy more

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:48 pm 

Here's my pretty much complete vest, I might change a few things around from time to time, but probably not much:

I'm kinda bummed though because I lost my Gilead Media pin sometime during Tyr's set Friday night.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:34 pm 

Nice, we have the same Lake of Blood patch. What's the one above the upper left pocket, though?

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:36 pm 

iAm wrote:
Nice, we have the same Lake of Blood patch. What's the one above the upper left pocket, though?

It's a Panopticon patch from the "...on the Subject of Mortality" box set.

BoltTheGates
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:10 pm 

My updated vest:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:36 pm 

The back is quite beautifully arranged I find. Patch layout really is an artform. Oh, and mo'fucking epic Asphyx patch :metal:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:53 am 

It's simply great, man. These 4 backpatches are awesome! Well done!

I ordered a The Chasm patch and 2 pins (Electric Wizard and Asphyx's logo) for my future 2nd vest. I'm still in the process of choosing my backpatch(s), I'll probably use my Cathedral - FoE tshirt since it's so trashed. I should put some studs on it too.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:02 am 

Also chiming in to commend BolttheGates aesthetic sense. Especially with the spikes surrounding the Bolt Thrower patch, nice touch.

BoltTheGates
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:17 am 

Thank you all for your kind words.

To GravityLapse, I envisioned replicating what I did in the Bolt Thrower section on the other side with the Conqueror patch. I sewed on that patch, then started to add the studs. It was looking nowhere near as nice as the other side, so I gave up on that idea. I had the Incantation patch for another jacket, but decided it would look good underneath the Conqueror patch in that section. I'm quite satisfied with the asymmetry that that one studded section brings to the vest. It also brings more attention to the Bolt Thrower patch, which is one of my favorites.

Orbliis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:54 am 

About to start my first vest. I don't have anything planned out yet except for a Dissection back.

I think I might just do an "atmospheric" vest. Bands that take me to other worlds and places mentally. Dissection is one of those bands fortunately(Storm of the Lights Bane at least).

Sorry for the content-less bump.

Drahkarg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:20 am 

According to Canada Post, my primary shipment of patches will be here on Wednesday. However, I've noticed that they like to add a day on their predictions. So hopefully Tuesday!

For my battle jacket, I've decided to do something I think is kinda unique with it.

A few months ago, I got my hands on a surplus Canadian Forces load-bearing vest (no official UPC, and no IR coating so I can legally do whatever the smeg I want with it). CADPAT camo'd with dark green webbing and back MOLLE, 4 mag pouches, NV pouch, canteen pouch, etc. for airsoft. Not too long ago, I phased out the vest in favor of a lightweight belt. So, I decide to cut all the pouches except for the NV pouches clean off, and get it ready for my patches. Unfortunately, the back is far too narrow for a full sized back patch. I was hoping for a Reinkaos one, but it looks like I'm shit out of luck in that department!

Front and NV pouches
Spoiler: show

Back and Sides
Spoiler: show

On the back I'll have the Deus Est Mortuus baphomet patch and either the Slayer or Dissection patch.

This shipment will be the first of many, and probably the largest as well, considering I haven't been collecting patches. I haven't even had an interest in them until about a month ago. On the way I have...

A Deus Est Mortuus baphomet patch, a Carcass - Necroticism patch, a Children of Bodom logo patch, a Darkthrone Panzerfaust patch, a Death Spiritual Healing patch, a Pantera logo patch, a Mayhem Ordo ad Chao patch, a Meshuggah In Space patch, Dissection - Reinkaos, Korpiklanni - Happy Little Boozers, Amon Amarth - Viking Dog, Motorhead - Inferno, Rotting Christ - AEALO, In Flames logo, Job for a Cowboy - Flower, Cannibal Corpse - Kill, Slayer logo, and one I'm especially exited for... Strapping young Lad - Hell Yeah you Fucking Suck patch.

I also decided to pick up a Motorhead Snaggletooth pocket ashtray because, well why the hell not.

I'll post pictures when the order gets here, and then again as the vest progresses.

Last edited by Drahkarg on Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:23 am 

Cool, dude. What's your backpatch? Are you gonna keep the sleeves? I ordered a The Chasm patch + 2 pins recently and I'm thinking of ordering 4 more soon, including a huge Gris patch. My 2nd vest will be finished before the winter, I hope, at least.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Headless_Cynic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:14 am 

my old vest

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:58 am 

THIS just happened! :)

Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

toxikwalts
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:43 am 

Vest 1

toxikwalts
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:07 am 

Vest 2

Drahkarg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:40 pm 

My patches have arrived, and my battle jacket is now currently UNDER CONSTRUCTION! I should have made some decent progress by tonight, although I have to admit, I'm no seamstress :lol:

toxikwalts
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:02 am 

Drahkarg wrote:
My patches have arrived, and my battle jacket is now currently UNDER CONSTRUCTION! I should have made some decent progress by tonight, although I have to admit, I'm no seamstress :lol:

It's not difficult once you get the hang of it. Over and under a bunch of times, use black upholstery thread for durability and then tie it off with a knot at the end.

GloomBlood
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:31 am 

Just started this jacket, nothing special but here it is.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:00 am 

I wish I was more into Morbosidad. I love their logo!

satiros
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:41 am 

finished the first vest over the summer, the black one is a current work in progress:

FastAsAShark
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:13 pm 

Making some progress! Just got the Bathory, Darkthrone, And Beherit patches sewn on

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:37 am 

I have always wanted to do a denim jacket. I just don't have money to buy patches and I suck at sewing. Maybe we should include backpacks too? :lol:
Well, I did get a huge inverted cross patch, and will be sewed in the back. You know? The sunday jacket! If at least I was brave enough to get close to a church, it could do wonders.

:lol:

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:27 am 

Sit in the back and light a cigarette when you do where it to one.

Turtle_Factory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:56 am 

I know this is going to sound corny, but sewing is actually pretty fun! And to think I learned how do so by sewing patches on my jacket. To anyone who has never even picked up a needle, do not despair. My first patch was a complete disaster. But you learn to get better.

I am currently working on a patch jacket but I feel it's too empty and sad to put here :( Also the lack of a back patch. I might put up pics when my order arrives! By the way, I love all the jackets/vests here. It's like someone said, good patchwork is really an art.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:46 pm 

Here's some pictures of my updated vest:

Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:31 pm 

lolwut.

I found that in searching for a Flames logo patch [ http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Flames/11532# ], and I thought it was funny, so I decided to pass it along. It doesn't even make sense... Are Korn a Power Metal band now or something? IDK...

Anyway, I had no luck finding a Flames patch, so does anyone know if there are any out there in the world?

Thanks.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:44 pm 

Zerberus wrote:
I wish I was more into Morbosidad. I love their logo!

:ugh:

That's kind of a shallow reason to "want to like" something. Why not just get a Mutiilation patch, then? Looks like they took some inspiration from it... Like if Mutiilation's and Beherit's logos had a retarded baby together or something...

Stone69
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:54 am 

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 88  Next