Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:06 am 

I've been thinking about making a jacket or vest for a while now, probably a jacket cause I'm not much for vests, as I've got a few patches and nothing else to do with them. Plus I like the idea of having one. Where do y'all pick up decent denim jackets from? I saw someone mention Forever 21 men's department but I was there the other day while my wife was shopping and I didn't see anything close to denim.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:55 am 

I randomly found my denim jacket at some local hippy dippy used clothing store. Otherwise, just keep hitting up thrift stores. You're bound to find a vest/jacket eventually.

Don't make it a big thing, mane. Let fate decide and the jacket will find you. It's way more metal that way.
There's also eBay!

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:55 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
I've been thinking about making a jacket or vest for a while now, probably a jacket cause I'm not much for vests, as I've got a few patches and nothing else to do with them. Plus I like the idea of having one. Where do y'all pick up decent denim jackets from? I saw someone mention Forever 21 men's department but I was there the other day while my wife was shopping and I didn't see anything close to denim.

This is the one that I got at the store although it was a little cheaper.

http://www.forever21.com/Product/Produc ... VariantID=

The guy working said nobody buys them so maybe they decided to stop carrying them in stores. I've had luck on ebay and in thrift stores in the past so they are out there. You just have to be patient. And if you find the right jacket but wrong color you can always dye it. I've done that before as well.

untappd: patrick_g

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:07 pm 

Thanks guys, I think I'll take the thrift store route and let fate decide. I want to be more metal as it is going to be an awesome patch jacket. :metal:

Love what you wrote Ray. Laughed my ass off.

Azmodes wrote:

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:39 pm 

Just finished printing some patches for a new jacket. Unintentional Icelandic BM theme. Man I'm gonna miss having access to a professional print studio.

Brainded Binky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:50 am 

Mine might not be all that complete, but here it is.

Spoiler: show

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:54 am 

Pretty decent! I have the same Voivod and Blind Guardian patches. The Destruction backpatch is solid but I think you could have found a better main back patch, this is a bit plain.

Nightwish though :gay: :-D

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Brainded Binky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:58 am 

Hey, I happen to like Nightwish (the Tarja albums, that is). I was planning on getting a Twisted Sister patch, but then I decided against it. Maybe I should've gone with Twisted Sister instead of Nightwish. :grumble:

Thanks for the compliment on the Destruction backpatch, by the way.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:02 am 

http://www.noecho.net/features/backpatc ... -deathfest

My fav:

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:37 am 

The cats, the most metal thing of MDF.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:49 am 

I just realised i never prob posted my thing here.
Its not really a kutte, its a leather jacket. I just refuse to wear a normal leather jacket when lots of trendy girls wear leather jackets.

For years i have sorta vague idea in the back of my head to do a patch jacket but I don't really know what i'd do with it as i want my own to be quite distinctive and not just "hey i like these bands everybody else likes too!"

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:05 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
http://www.noecho.net/features/backpatches-of-the-2015-maryland-deathfest

Sweet I was wondering where these were going to be. Good stuff. There I am between Tankard and the Motorhead/Baphomet.

Brainded Binky wrote:
Maybe I should've gone with Twisted Sister instead of Nightwish. :grumble:

Wear it with pride!

Brainded Binky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:31 pm 

Alsandair wrote:

Brainded Binky wrote:
Maybe I should've gone with Twisted Sister instead of Nightwish. :grumble:

Wear it with pride!

Thanks for the advice.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:09 am 

I realized my first vest ended up being all USBM , so I decided to make a Euro BM vest to go with it. Pretty happy with it so far.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:25 am 

That Gummo/kittens vest is so stupid, it's actually really quite badass, and I'm not kidding. I mean, that's got to take some balls and/or amphetamines to convince yourself of.

Sometimes I imagine people probably scoff at the homemade Smiths patch I put on my "kutte", even though they're my favorite band... It wasn't some "hip" attempt at irony, y'know? I just don't know if people really buy that when it's under a Napalm Death patch, though... :tinfoil:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:43 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
I realized my first vest ended up being all USBM , so I decided to make a Euro BM vest to go with it. Pretty happy with it so far.

2 Enslaved patches? APPROVED! Do you plan to put something else ahead of the backpatch?

Also, Japan moved to the European continent? :-D

BlackHussar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:02 pm 

Brainded Binky wrote:
Hey, I happen to like Nightwish (the Tarja albums, that is). I was planning on getting a Twisted Sister patch, but then I decided against it. Maybe I should've gone with Twisted Sister instead of Nightwish. :grumble:

Man, why are you trying to explain yourself? It's your vest, with patches of bands you enjoy listening to. Changing your mind just because someone told you that it's gay is quite strange :ugh:

Nice Morbid Angel patch btw.

pressingtoplead13 wrote:
Songs like "Meathook Sodomy" and "Addicted To Vaginal Skin" are some of my favorite songs all time to karoake [...]

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:31 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
2 Enslaved patches? APPROVED! Do you plan to put something else ahead of the backpatch? Also, Japan moved to the European continent? :-D

I'm conflicted, I want another big one up top but my hair covers that whole part so it feels like it would be kind of a waste. Although if I could find that big embroidered Enslaved backpatch it would make it even better :)

Haha I know, but my love of Sigh is stronger than my self-imposed geographical vest rules.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:12 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
2 Enslaved patches? APPROVED! Do you plan to put something else ahead of the backpatch? Also, Japan moved to the European continent? :-D

I'm conflicted, I want another big one up top but my hair covers that whole part so it feels like it would be kind of a waste. Although if I could find that big embroidered Enslaved backpatch it would make it even better :)

Haha I know, but my love of Sigh is stronger than my self-imposed geographical vest rules.

Shave your head like I did, problem solved! Yeah, I want the old Enslaved logo as a backpatch for my next one to go with a ReverendB one. I used to have Blodhemn as a backpatch but the patch wasn't very nice so I changed it.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:18 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

Heh, I was about to point out Sigh and Melechesh.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:22 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

Heh, I was about to point out Sigh and Melechesh.

To be fair, Ashmedi has been living in Europe for a while! I think he's moving a lot but he lived in the Netherlands.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:52 pm 

I didn't knew he lived there, I thought he was somewhere in US/Canada... I guess that is fair then. :|

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:54 pm 

He's been in Amsterdam since the late 90s. Just like Inquisition they try to use their "exotic" birthplace as a marketing tool even though they live very comfortable lives in the West and have for most of their lives.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:02 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
He's been in Amsterdam since the late 90s. Just like Inquisition they try to use their "exotic" birthplace as a marketing tool even though they live very comfortable lives in the West and have for most of their lives.

because black metal bands are only allowed to be influenced by scandinavian folk.

belsen44
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:14 am 

"Just like Inquisition they try to use their "exotic" birthplace as a marketing tool even though they live very comfortable lives in the West and have for most of their lives."

They "try"?, its a basic fact inquisition started in colombia in the 80s. I dont think dagon moved there as a kid from the states(yes they were both born in the US) just to be cool or to generate market value. Is it bad they live good lives after decades of hard work? Should they lie about their history? Is it even a marketing tool in the first place?

I'm actually having trouble understanding what your comment is intended to purvey

You might want to think before you degrade yourself with ignorent comments, just a head up; you only come off as sounding bitter or jealous

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:26 pm 

He was just saying that Inquisition is clearly an American band, not Columbian. They were there for like two demos but released every album in the USA.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:56 pm 

^Right. Sorry for taking the thread off topic, I just meant that it's frustrating seeing gig posters for Inquisition that say "Inquisition - From Colombia" when the dudes live a couple miles away.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:58 pm 

I am fairly sure that everyone around them hypes them up so on purpose. A gig promoter thinks he will sell more tickets by advertising them as Columbian.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:12 pm 

It's odd because country of origin conveys nothing about a band's quality or sound, but I guess they need to write something in the promo material. By the way, fellas, the demonym for people from Colombia is "Colombian". Just throwing that out there.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:27 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
For years i have sorta vague idea in the back of my head to do a patch jacket but I don't really know what i'd do with it as i want my own to be quite distinctive and not just "hey i like these bands everybody else likes too!"

I completely agree. If it happens accidentally, that's one thing, but as long as you have a layout that suits your personal taste (minimalism is just fine, I don't know why people plaster their shit over like that's the only way to do it) and you're repping bands that you genuinely feel, that's the end of it. It's entirely possible to have a purposeful and legit jacket without a single Death patch on it.

Metal garb can start to look pretty "clone army" so, as generally works best, be yourself.

Rex Maskimus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:19 pm 

Here's an update on my jacket, finally got the right backpatch for it and made a few minor changes.

The Hell backpatch found its way onto a charcoal vest I'm working on. This one will probably end up with more patches than the blue denim jacket.

And here's another thing I made recently. Yes, it seriously needs to go under the iron press but whatever.

I got a white one with half sleeves that I'll be painting stuff onto eventually as well.

HOT_DOG_DAY_89
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:22 pm 

Started to get some patches on mine. Not much, but it's a start.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:49 pm 

I like the pins and the look of the vest but damn, this Pleasure to Kill backpatch is such a generic choice. I swear 10% of all patched vest on Earth has it.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:09 pm 

Is there anywhere to order custom patches from? If so is it crazy expensive and how's the quality?

Azmodes wrote:

HOT_DOG_DAY_89
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:06 pm 

I really love Pleasure to Kill and I love the cover, so I don't mind it being a generic choice.

Also I would love to know where to get custom patches. I want a Cirith Ungol patch.

Brainded Binky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:01 pm 

BlackHussar wrote:
Brainded Binky wrote:

Man, why are you trying to explain yourself? It's your vest, with patches of bands you enjoy listening to. Changing your mind just because someone told you that it's gay is quite strange :ugh:

Nice Morbid Angel patch btw.

Sorry, I tend to be a little cynical when it comes to criticism.

Thanks for your compliment on the Morbid Angel patch by the way. I got that when I first saw them in Minneapolis.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:10 pm 

This is the vest I started earlier this year, more or less exactly a year after the black one with the velvet, which is posted in here somewhere. I found that it was constantly shedding studs, which made it a bit irritating to wear casually, so this one is aimed more at being a friendly, blue-demin "summer-catalogue" type thing, with slightly more emphasis on fun bands. Visually, I went for the theme of only using black-and-white embroidered patches, to give it a consistent and simplistic aesthetic, which definitely appeals to me. Likewise, no studs or badges, to make it a soft, comfortable and easy-to-maintain.

There's room for a couple more patches, but I'm waiting to discover which bands rise to the top of my "would buy a patch" list over time, to avoid the jacket being a snapshot of just one small window of what I was listening to.

ImageImage

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:22 am 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
Is there anywhere to order custom patches from? If so is it crazy expensive and how's the quality?

Regarding custom patches, someone linked to this European site some time ago:
http://www.over-zone.com/toppestandarduk.html
I've been meaning to save up money for a few different custom orders for ages, but more important expenses and simply not having much disposable income keeps things like this on the back burner indefinitely.

Maybe some folks who are mutually interested in one or several patch designs could split the expenses and the batch or something, though. That'd make the cost substantially lower for the folks involved, especially if you can get a lot of folks interested in splitting the expense for multiple copies of a design.

I haven't found anything that seemed more promising than the Over-Zone site since it was posted here, which is unfortunate, because the shipping from EU doesn't help to make things any more affordable to people in other parts of the world.

Really, though, if you're just dying to have a unique and otherwise unobtainable design embroidered without getting a batch made, I think you just have to be willing to bite the bullet and pay a premium for one-offs.

Personally, I'd just take the plunge on a medium-sized batch and try to make back some of the investment by selling and trading the extras myself, with various online distros and with local shops, because I'd feel pretty silly taking the easy option of spending a boatload on one measly patch for the sake of making a fashion statement.

Actually, perhaps someone who's used the service before can comment on this, but the site technically offers batches "for your band" and offers the one-off option to provide patches for "personal use", but I don't imagine they're the sort of people to ask too many questions if you request a batch of patches featuring some even remotely obscure band's logo, whether it's "yours" or not. Even it is a relatively well-known band that's just not commonly represented in the world of embroidered band patches, I wouldn't imagine having too much trouble with a batch order.

Speaking of which, who wants to throw down on some Sparks, Leatherface and Гражданская Оборона logo patches?!
(Not really, I am incredibly broke... just tossing it out there.)

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:06 am 

I would love a Гражданская Оборона patch, or a Янка patch or a Егор и Опизденевшие patch, or all three! Send me a message if you ever end up ordering any of those.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:42 pm 

Sweet, thanks Ray! 10 Euro for a custom patch is nothing to me so I'll definitely be taking that deal at some point in time. I just have to get not poor (buying a new house and basically doubling my mortgage payment is seriously draining my superfluous cash) and find a jacket/vest + buy a shit ton of normal patches and y'know learn how to sew!!!!!

Azmodes wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88  Next