Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SmallPoxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:23 pm 

Most metalheads know the existence of Pissgrave, A death metal band from Philadelphia. They shocked everyone with their nasty and filthy (in a good way) music accompained by gruesome artworks of real photos of dead people. But something that I always have wondered is "Do these guys have lyrics?". I always wondered why these guys don't reveal their lyrics.
I decided to nosedive into this and see if this guys have actual lyrics or not. First of all, the way the guy sings make it really unintelligible. So he could literally just scream in a way that it sounds like actual lyrics but it's just screaming.
But, there are more hints that this band uses actual lyrics. For example an interview with the band in which one of the members says that the lyrics are a "whirlwinds of aimless destruction" and that "The lyrics are a tool to inflict pain and have a hateful, careless perspective about life."
Also, at the end of song "Mass Cremation", you can hear a small portion of isolated vocals at the end of the song. It's still unintelligible but at least you can actually try to decipher what is he saying.

Anyways, what is your opinion on this? Do you think they use lyrics? Have you deciphered any lyrics from any song?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:44 pm 

The thread title made it sound like they have songs with My Dying Bride type of lyrics.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

SmallPoxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:37 pm 

droneriot wrote:
The thread title made it sound like they have songs with My Dying Bride type of lyrics.

lol, it's a reference to "The second sorrowful mystery"

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:19 am 

The interview response makes it sound like the lyrics are just improvised violent imagery. That's a pretty intuitive way to go about lyrics for any kind of relentlessly brutal music, where the moment's intensity in the performance is more important than carrying a carefully crafted message. The message is the violence itself. Memorising lyrics and focusing on delivering them correctly and consistently might just detract from the performance, when you really just want it to be an adrenaline-fueled rampage of anger.

I totally didn't get the reference in the thread title. :P

SmallPoxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:10 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
The interview response makes it sound like the lyrics are just improvised violent imagery. That's a pretty intuitive way to go about lyrics for any kind of relentlessly brutal music, where the moment's intensity in the performance is more important than carrying a carefully crafted message. The message is the violence itself. Memorising lyrics and focusing on delivering them correctly and consistently might just detract from the performance, when you really just want it to be an adrenaline-fueled rampage of anger.

I totally didn't get the reference in the thread title. :P

I don't know honestly, I took the interview's meanings as way to express what are they singing about.
Maybe they write them but they don't sing it fully on studio and live recordings

leaving
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:05 am 

I can definitely make out the singer wailing "fields of scattered bones" in that particular song but that's about all I've been able to glean in casual listening.

Anmeggz
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:22 pm 

I mean it is possible that they could have actual lyrics but maybe its like Converge where they just repeat a few sentences over and over again and then claim them mean something else.

MoScoper
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:17 am 

I think they do write lyrics, but they just write it for themselves. Maybe the lyrics are to brutal to share with anyone and its just for their own enjoyment. It also adds to the band creepy image.

Reply to topic