Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
camjr01
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:36 pm 

Not sure if someone already posted about this, but I did an (admittedly short) search of the forums and didn't find anything about this topic yet. Last year's April First event was posted in Music Talk, so I think this is where Iḿ supposed to put this. SORRY IF THIS IS A DUPLICATE THREAD.

The moderator Azmodes just announced a total site shutdown at 24:00 to dedicate the Metal Archives' computational powers to two research efforts utilizing the external computers of private citizens to fight the Corona Virus. View the full news post here: https://www.metal-archives.com/news/view/id/268

I want to hear your thoughts.

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.

MDL
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:41 pm 

My thoughts are that this was the weakest April fools joke to date. Bring back the black metal captchas.

camjr01
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:53 pm 

Youŕe right that this is a little weak, but the idea itself is good though. A stronger prank could have consisted of shutting the entire site down for a day and leaving nothing but that news post. Also if they're feeling generous, a forum to complain in.

Also, I get it's a joke, but at the same time I wouldn't be that surprised if they actually shut the site down at 24:00 EST. Pretty much everything else in my life has shut down, so why not this too?

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.

TheLoneForest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:53 pm 

The best one was the government shutdown notice about piracy seal that popped up when you loaded the site or PENIS METAL

This year sucked. Hope next year it's the opposite

Korpgud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:25 pm 

MDL wrote:
My thoughts are that this was the weakest April fools joke to date. Bring back the black metal captchas.

I want to hear more about this.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:51 pm 

Yeah, I need more of *that*

KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:36 pm 

Normally the pranks are a lot of fun but this year's just serves as a reminder of how shitty the world is so... thanks for that I guess.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:20 pm 

I thought metal being over was pretty funny.

MDL
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:54 pm 

Korpgud wrote:
MDL wrote:

I want to hear more about this.

About what? The captchas?

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:19 pm 

MDL wrote:

That was pretty great, though nothing beats the Nickelback year. Top rated similar artist - Enbilulugugal :lol: :lol:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:31 pm 

The Korn (edit: originally thought it was Nickleback) AF was especially notable for much detail the mods put into faking their arguments and factions, culminating in Nightgaunt's beautifully-acted storming off for a day.

I was a pretty big fan of the "no moderation for the review queue" from 2016 (I think?) just due to the sheer day of complete anarchy it entailed.

"Nuking the Tavern and Symposium" was pretty good for when the mods called everyone's bluff and actually left the Symposium dead.
In the end- in life- aren't we all sort of wearing corpse-paint in front of a crowd of strangers? Or is that the most pathetic metal-themed analogy ever uttered? I cannot tell, but I feel a bit ashamed now.

NEW Valcove album: https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge

Last edited by Smoking_Gnu on Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:37 pm 

I still maintain that Penis Metal year was the best because we got the review community involved and left a lasting impact.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:38 pm 

For those who wanted to see what the Nickelback and captcha ones looked like, here you go (spoiler for size).

Spoiler: show
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Juno_A
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:36 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
For those who wanted to see what the Nickelback and captcha ones looked like, here you go (spoiler for size).

I lurk just about all the time, nowadays, but seeing Burzum in the recommended list amongst all the other 'recommendations' made me laugh way more than it had any right to. Just thought I would mention that.

Also, black metal captchas? I think it's genius -- I wish I had visited the site that particular day to have seen that, heh.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:56 pm 

I remember my first days of lurking the site and thinking to myself "what the fuck..." when I saw those captchas, hahaha. But I agree, the best so far was lack of moderation in the review queue. Some of those reviews were pure gold, for sure.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:37 pm 

This one may have been a bit light on the laughs. But it draws attention to an easy way people who can or are inclined to help out and donate their computing resources for potentially important work.

Everyone knows an April Fool is coming so rather than just going full in on a prank this year, right now, I think the staff and mods had a very good idea.

Azmodes wrote:
As many of you likely already gathered one way or another, the site isn't going anywhere. Happy April Fools' Day!

However, the projects we linked to in the previous post are very much real and doing actual valuable work you can contribute to. If you elect to donate your computer's resources, we'd be happy to see you joining the official Metal Archives teams (#237115 on Folding@Home and simply "Metal Archives" on Rosetta@Home). Happy crunching! \m/

Reply to topic