Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Konig_ov_Hel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:13 pm 

Some recent deal's:

Darkspace - I & II: $15 a piece
Darkspace - III (Digipack): $20
Ildjarn - Ildjarn is Dead: $16

My CD Collection (Not Complete)
http://www.metal-archives.com/usercol.p ... nig_ov_Hel

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:56 pm 

Napalm Death - Noise For Music's Sake ($15)
over 30 tracks of there best material. clearly worth the price.

Ghoul - Splatterthrash ($8)
awesome album.

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
I refuse to listen to a genre using an onamatapoeiac descriptor.

Motion to change "Death Metal" to "EEURRRGHHH"

DeathByTheSword
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:35 am 

Demoliton Hammer "Epidemic Of Violence" and Municipal Waste " The Art Of Partying" for 10 euros each.

Also all of Dream Theaters old albums (including Change Of Seasons" for 8 euros each.

6Ev6iL6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:54 am 

I just got a couple of awesome deals over this weekend

Watain - Rabid Death's Curse full length, brand new in shrinkwrap - $5
Malefactor (Brazil) - 3 of their full lengths used - $2 apiece
Morgoth - Eternal Fall/Resurrection Absurd - Original pressing used - $4

I generally don't shop at Hot Topic, but I am a huge Cannibal Corpse fan, and they had a deal on the new album - You can get Evisceration Plague and any CC shirt in the store for $20. Had to do it.

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:29 am 

My best finds aren't on the scale of others here, but anyways...

Around here you used to occasionally find bins with cheap tapes or cds in them. They would have had power tools used on them. The tapes would have marks on the spine that looked like they had been run over a table saw with the blade just high enough to go through the plastic case and not hurt the tape. The cds would have a hole drilled in the spine of the case so it would miss the disk. The story that I was told (can't verify the accuracy) was that these were like the "stripped" books you read about on the inside paper backs (sold without the cover, reported unsold and destroyed). These tapes and cds were supposed to have been destroyed.

In one of these bins I found Omen - Teeth of the Hydra. It's a best of. I hadn't heard Omen yet but for $1 I decided to take a chance. Not bad, I definitely got my moneys worth. In another I found, for $5, a double disk NWOBHM collection put together Ulrich and some guy from Kerrang. I bought it mainly to hear the Diamond Head tracks but there was a lot good stuff on there.

6Ev6iL6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:47 am 

neonchipmunk wrote:

Around here you used to occasionally find bins with cheap tapes or cds in them. They would have had power tools used on them. The tapes would have marks on the spine that looked like they had been run over a table saw with the blade just high enough to go through the plastic case and not hurt the tape. The cds would have a hole drilled in the spine of the case so it would miss the disk. The story that I was told (can't verify the accuracy) was that these were like the "stripped" books you read about on the inside paper backs (sold without the cover, reported unsold and destroyed). These tapes and cds were supposed to have been destroyed.

Anytime you see the holes drilled/notches cut that means that they are overstock CD's or tapes. You will find that on releases by labels that have gone belly up, or releases that simply didn't sell well upon release and go out of print right away. The only exception to this that I know of will be promo releases for press or in-store play. I have often found scads of these to be exceptional albums, but sometimes they are just garbage. It's a crap shoot as to what you will get.

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:01 pm 

6Ev6iL6 wrote:
neonchipmunk wrote:

Anytime you see the holes drilled/notches cut that means that they are overstock CD's or tapes. You will find that on releases by labels that have gone belly up, or releases that simply didn't sell well upon release and go out of print right away. The only exception to this that I know of will be promo releases for press or in-store play. I have often found scads of these to be exceptional albums, but sometimes they are just garbage. It's a crap shoot as to what you will get.

So why are they drilled/notched?

6Ev6iL6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:34 pm 

neonchipmunk wrote:
6Ev6iL6 wrote:
neonchipmunk wrote:

So why are they drilled/notched?

They are called "cutouts". When they are sent to the bargain bins, they are no longer being sold as "new" or current.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:15 am 

I haven't got a lot of great metal deals, but I did score this a few months ago...

Judas Priest - Sin After Sin (Vinyl) $4

Slats
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:51 am 

6Ev6iL6 wrote:
I generally don't shop at Hot Topic, but I am a huge Cannibal Corpse fan, and they had a deal on the new album - You can get Evisceration Plague and any CC shirt in the store for $20. Had to do it.

Fuck, I need to get on that. Does anyone know how long that deal will be running?

GVOLTT
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:18 am 

The most recent deal I can think of is getting Impaled's The Dead Shall Dead Remain for only $8.74 on eBay back in November. Back in September, I managed to get Mastodon's Lifesblood for only $5 (used). I also picked up Napalm Death's Bootlegged in Japan for $4.99 at an FYE (even though it said $7.99 on the tag). The best deal I've gotten, not including free stuff from regular metal distros, is also from FYE, where I picked up The Sword's "Gods of the Earth" for approx. $1.30. The price tag did say $11.99 or $12.99, but I got it for what was left on my gift card, and even then I said I should be paying the rest of the regular price, but apparently it was all paid for.

Reborn_Satanist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:30 am 

Cyber Records' 'Appointment With Fear' comp at my local Hellraiser for only £1. Some great demo quality death really.

6Ev6iL6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:16 am 

Slats wrote:
6Ev6iL6 wrote:

Fuck, I need to get on that. Does anyone know how long that deal will be running?

Through the month of February, I believe. I got mine the week before Valentine's Day

Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:05 pm 

Reid wrote:
I haven't got a lot of great metal deals, but I did score this a few months ago...

Judas Priest - Sin After Sin (Vinyl) $4

That's actually about average. I bought mine for $5.

TheYardstick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:12 pm 

Atheist vinyls for about $2-3 each.

My Last.fm

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:29 pm 

Mysticum - In the Stream of Inferno, 8 bucks.

Fuck yeah.

Imret
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:39 pm 

Fucking awesome album, doesn't get the respect it deserves.

-WhiskeyRebel

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4