Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:40 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I never got how any fan of any of their albums after the first two didn't like Ninth Hour. It had some more studious moments but Tony sounds amazing and the melodies and songs are the same kinds of stuff they've been doing for years. But for some reason it got really singled out as bad.

It's because The Ninth Hour is slow and dull and undercooked. I wrote a review of it a while back, though it was rejected for being a track-by-track, but here it is anyway:
Spoiler: show
I decided to give <i>The Ninth Hour</i> some time to ferment, to let it grow on me with time. I didn't like it at all when it first released, but I had hoped that giving it some space and letting myself grow accustomed to it would mean that I would eventually come around and like it. This did not occur. <i>Pariah's Child</i>, while inconsistent, was nonetheless a good time on the whole, so I really, really wanted to like <i>The Ninth Hour</i> because I really, really like Sonata Arctica. But if the excellent <i>Pariah's Child</i> was inconsistent, <i>The Ninth Hour</i> is downright schizophrenic on top of being gibbering insane, but not the energetic brand of manic insanity--rather, the subdued, burbling kind of insanity where the subject sits idly in the corner of the room, saliva bubbles oozing and bursting at the corners of its mouth. And the saddest part is that this madness has glints of promise and potential all throughout, and frustratingly refuses to act on almost all of them. Let's embark on a journey through the insanity, shall we?

The album starts off on an admittedly decent foot with "Closer to an Animal," a mid-paced anthem that showcases the band's trademark Euro-power metal styling tinged with arctic keys overlaid with Tony Kakko's smooth vocals. It's exactly what you'd expect from a modern Sonata Arctica tune, and for what it is, it's fine. The lyrics are a bit cringe-y (and this is coming from somebody who doesn't pay much attention to lyrics), and I'm not a fan of the key change halfway through, but otherwise, it's serviceable. There's no reason to be worried just yet. Track #2, "Life," however, is pretty sucky. The chorus feels like a subdued version of itself that could've been grand in a better song, but is unfortunately attached to a mishmash of different verse ideas that make the whole song feel disjointed. However, there are some evocative melodies throughout, including during the solo, so it's not a total waste. With some more time, "Life" could've been honed into a bigger, grander song that puts butts in seats, but that's not quite what we got. The verses needed to be tighter and the chorus needed more punch. Next up, "Fairytale" tries its damnedest to impress with a more upbeat tempo and plenty of crowd-pleasing melodies. It somewhat succeeds. Again, I'm not sure about the odd key change section that occurs at the two-thirds mark, but for the most part, another competently pleasant track. From here on out, <i>The Ninth Hour</i> nosedives. Hard.

"We Are What We Are" is the inevitable first ballad of the album, and it goes for a folky atmosphere with its use of whistles (provided by Nightwish member Troy Donockley), but the song itself is entirely flaccid. Go-nowhere melodies, bare-bones drumming and guitars, and an interminably sluggish tempo take what should've been an inspiring ballad and turn it into an absolute bore. With that dose of the worst morphine on the market over with, "Till Death's Done Us Apart" tries hard to get our blood pumping again, and puts up a good effort a few times with some double-bass action on top of rousing melodies, but as seems to be customary for the album, it loses focus several times in its pursuit of...I don't know what. Yet another song with promise that fails to deliver. And then there's "Among the Shooting Stars," and it sucks all the way through. The band is on auto-pilot at this point, presumably with instruments strapped to their bodies as they slept one night and this track is the recorded result. And it just kinda...ends. No fanfare, no reason. It's just done.

And then, miracle of miracles, the dry spell is broken! "Rise a Night" bursts onto the scene, double-bass pounding and guitars roaring right out the gate, with a powerful chorus to boot. If it weren't for the fact that Tony sounds so utterly and completely bored, this would be a pretty damn great Sonata Arctica song, but alas, such is not the case. Still pretty good, though. Next on our little journey, "Fly, Navigate, Communicate" keeps the tempo up but flounders around aimlessly--that is, until the song dramatically changes after the 2:40 mark, with some soft keys segueing into a terrific flurry of renewed vigor, on top of the song's limp chorus finally getting some bite to it. So far, the second half of "Fly, Navigate, Communicate" is easily the best thing on <i>The Ninth Hour</i> but (spoilers!) it will soon be dethroned.

...But not by "Candle Lawns." "Candle Lawns" fucking sucks. It's another low-effort ballad that insults the Sonata Arctica legacy of excellent ballads, going for a radio-humping arena ballad aesthetic, and is markedly worse than "We Are What We Are." Moving on!

No, the true highlight of the album is "By the Grace of the Ocean." Finally, a consistently-great track! It only took 47 minutes of mediocrity to reach one! Richly atmospheric, sprawling and melodic, with masterfully woven keys and orchestral elements and a dramatic build-up, "By the Grace of the Ocean" finally puts the last nail in the album's coffin by showing us the sweeping majesty <i>The Ninth Hour</i> could have been full of but decided not to try to achieve. And once the galloping guitars come into play, the song builds and builds to an epic crescendo that almost makes the nearly hour-long slog worth it. Absolutely triumphant and worthy of the Sonata Arctica name. Too bad "On the Faultline (Closure to an Animal)" comes along to fuck it all up. Acting as a reprise to album opener "Closer to an Animal," this abomination is, no question, the worst song that Tony and the gang have vomited out in their entire careers. The garbage heap called <i>Unia</i> points and laughs at "On the Faultline," with its sickeningly derivative listen-to-how-important-this-song-is two-note piano chords and faux-melancholy melodies as Tony, nearly passed out, warbles on about nothing in particular for nearly six agonizing minutes. As much as I rag on this album, every song on it could have been polished into (or already is) something really great, except for "On the Faultline." And "Candle Lawns." Both songs could have and should have been removed entirely, and nothing of value would have been lost.

And so our journey comes to its conclusion. <i>The Ninth Hour</i> is largely a meandering, confused mess that, if given more time in the studio, could have been hammered out into another rock-solid modern Sonata Arctica album (minus the two tracks mentioned earlier), but that's not what we got. If <i>Pariah's Child</i> was misleading in that we were teased with the prospect of a classic SA album and got a good modern SA album instead, <i>The Ninth Hour</i> is misleading in that we were teased with the prospect of another good modern SA album and got an undercooked mess instead. Rewrites are a necessary evil, kids, or else your shapeless blob of musical ideas ends up being aimless and directionless auditory sludge, and that's <i>The Ninth Hour</i> in a nutshell. Except "By the Grace of the Ocean," that song's cool, be sure to grab it.

And no, I will not call it "White Pearl, Black Oceans II." And neither should you. Stop that. It's a great song, yes, but "White Pearl, Black Oceans" is a goddamn national treasure, and "By the Grace of the Ocean" doesn't deserve its moniker. Maybe it can carry its jockstrap, but that's it.

It wears the skin of a good modern Sonata Arctica album, shambling about grotesquely masquerading as a continuation of their previous works, but the hide hasn't been tanned properly and the sutures were only half-finished, so the slabs of its skin-suit are sloughing off slowly as it prances about before its disgusting finale where the whole thing just falls apart and splats onto the floor.

I gave it a 36%. Some parts of the skin-suit were decently made.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:44 pm 

Divine Heresy - This Threat is Real

This band is a strange case for me. They were one of my very first extreme metal bands when I was in high school, and I remember not being able to get enough of them at the time. I listened to Bleed the Fifth for the first time in almost a decade the other day, and I found myself completely and utterly underwhelmed by it. The title track was the only song that was as good as I remember it being, and everything else was just boring and uninteresting. It's an album made up entirely of metal cliches designed to get a crowd hyped up at a live show, and I'm sure these songs sounded better in that setting than on the album, because there's almost nothing here anymore.

Also, aside from one bonus track, they didn't really lean into the deathcore sound that much until their second album. This album just comes across as typical Fear Factory syncopation tremolo riffs played in a kinda-metalcore style with some full on death metal riffs in there rather than a full on deathcore album.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:43 am 

Bad Religion - Recipe for Hate

The whole day has been all Stranger Than Fiction. Got to try out this recipe now. Tastes good. Generator and Suffer still waiting in the mail...

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:46 am 

Probot - Probot
Lee Dorrian is slaying it on the vox. Great soaring vibe amid the doom atmosphere he has been lent on his feature.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:09 am 

Grand Belial's Key - The Shitagogue

Killer stuff, and awesome song title!

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:33 am 

Sylosis - Leech
Josh Middleton's riffing >>>

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:42 am 

Master's Hammer - Pád modly

Classic, Ritual is such a cool album!

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:52 am 

Summoning - Menegroth
The laid back melodies of Oath Bound make it an everlasting back to back masterpiece. A huge, huge shift and difference from Summoning's demo days.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:07 pm 

Masters Hammer - Věčný návrat

Might be my favorite on the album, love the riffs here!!
And the vocals, unique and awesome.

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:28 pm 

Sithu Aye - Pale Blue Dot
Supposed to make happy music, the artist. But this just hits the feels. Buried a cousin today, and when I compare that to a picture of the pale blue dot off Voyager long before we were born, I truly realize man is but a fleck.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:52 pm 

Negative Plane - Stained Glass Revelations

Still remains one of the most audacious USBM I've heard. Absolutely love the cathedral-like ambiance of this album.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:42 pm 

Rippingheadache wrote:
Negative Plane - Stained Glass Revelations

Still remains one of the most audacious USBM I've heard. Absolutely love the cathedral-like ambiance of this album.

Nice, great band!

Moonsorrow - Sankarihauta

Perfect springtime music.
Love the folky melodies.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:52 pm 

Mötley Crüe - Five Years Dead

GGG is a pretty good record and this is one of the highlights.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:03 pm 

Anathema - Serenades

rip anathema

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:29 pm 

Black Sabbath - Hole in the Sky

Fucking amazing, I never get tired of this.
So good.

Playing my dad's tape he bought back in the 70's/80's

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:19 pm 

Strawberry Switchblade - Another Day

80's <3
Best vocals ever.

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:23 pm 

Smoulder - Times of Obscene Evil and Wild Daring

It's out on bandcamp, everybody... Fate calls a champion!

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:35 pm 

Strawberry Switchblade - Go Away

Such a mellow and sad feeling in this song, love it!

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:39 pm 

(1995) Burzum - Burzum + Aske.

:bow: .

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:40 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
(1995) Burzum - Burzum + Aske.

kvlt

NP: Unholy - The Second Ring of Power

hated it the first time, liked it the second, and love it as I'm listening to it for the third time. I really dig the avant-gardeness of it.

stainedclass2112 wrote:

BastardHead wrote:

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:45 pm 

Tønes - Maxitaxi

Folk/something stuff from as guy not to far away from my area.
Really good stuff.
Going to see him live in a few weeks!

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:37 pm 

raspberrysoda wrote:
kvlt

:beer:

(1993) Burzum - Det Som Engang Var.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:20 pm 

(1994) Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:35 pm 

LordStenhammar wrote:

The whole day has been all Stranger Than Fiction. Got to try out this recipe now. Tastes good. Generator and Suffer still waiting in the mail...

Ayyy I see you took my recommendation! I think my personal favorites are still No Control and Against the Grain, and if you like Suffer when you get it then I recommend getting those two as soon as possible. They're basically the same thing but faster while remaining equally as catchy.

Slough Feg - New Organon
I haven't been posting in this thread as much because I just can't be fucked to bother trying little blurbs for whatever nonsense I've been listening to, but I've gotta say this is probably the happiest I've been to see a promo in my inbox. This isn't their best album by any stretch but it's a huge step up from Digital Resistance and sounds like a midpoint between Atavism and Hardworlder. Only track I don't really care for is Sword of Machiavelli, but the rest of it is pretty awesome and ranges from good to great. Headhunter, Being and Nothingness, and the title track all grabbed me right away, and Uncanny is a lot of fun and has somebody who isn't Mike handling the vocals (though I have no idea who since Slough Feg has never even had backup vocals before).
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:02 pm 

Pig Destroyer - Prowler in the Yard

Can someone do a full length concept video set to this album? It'd make an excellent horror movie.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

WiNDiR999
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:22 am 

Death - Sacrificial :D

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:26 am 

Falls of Rauros - Retracing Our Lineage

Raw and beautiful.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:26 am 

BastardHead wrote:
LordStenhammar wrote:

Ayyy I see you took my recommendation! I think my personal favorites are still No Control and Against the Grain, and if you like Suffer when you get it then I recommend getting those two as soon as possible. They're basically the same thing but faster while remaining equally as catchy.

Thanks for the tips. Planning to get most of them. RfH and STF might remain among my favorites. Gone through their stuff from YouTube like hell for the past few days.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:39 am 

Korn - Take A Look In the Mirror

sludgy bass and killer grooves

stainedclass2112 wrote:

BastardHead wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:29 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Slough Feg - New Organon
I haven't been posting in this thread as much because I just can't be fucked to bother trying little blurbs for whatever nonsense I've been listening to, but I've gotta say this is probably the happiest I've been to see a promo in my inbox. This isn't their best album by any stretch but it's a huge step up from Digital Resistance and sounds like a midpoint between Atavism and Hardworlder. Only track I don't really care for is Sword of Machiavelli, but the rest of it is pretty awesome and ranges from good to great. Headhunter, Being and Nothingness, and the title track all grabbed me right away, and Uncanny is a lot of fun and has somebody who isn't Mike handling the vocals (though I have no idea who since Slough Feg has never even had backup vocals before).

Well that's great to hear. Reminds me of when I used to get jealous of people for some promos. The title track definitely had a rougher sound going on, like a mix of their old production style with their newer songwriting.

The Rolling Stones - Shake Your Hips

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:19 am 

Motley Crue - White Punks on Dope

New Tattoo is a serviceable record I think. Up to the classic era? No, but worth an occasional spin I think.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:29 pm 

Moenen of Xezbeth - Into the Black Mist

Filthy doomy black metal with some nice synth.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:32 pm 

Grand Magus - He Sent Them All To Hel

"Wolf God" isn't too bad. It's not my favorite thing they've done, but it's mostly pretty fun.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:12 pm 

1349 - Hellfire

Never has an album title been so apt. A pure inferno of a record.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:21 pm 

Angel Sword - Lords of Thunder

Love this. such a great laidback atmosphere.

CarlLSanders
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:08 pm 

Leviathan Scar Sighted
not his best, though still well worth hearing. Gosh! 2015. I hope he's due.
***I can't find this split of covers: In the Valley of Death, Where Black Metal Is King I want it!

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:21 am 

Lurker of Chalice - Vortex Chalice
Ruined by the slaughter sounds at the middle of the track, amidst some weird spokens rasps.

~Guest 375902
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:05 am 

Nanotech Ltd. - Northern Darks
Blood pumping, fist thumping trancey techno-industrial.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:17 am 

Obliteration - The Distant Sun (They Are the Key)

Not quite as busy sounding as Cenotaph Obscure was, but still very cool stuff. Definitely one of the better retro death metal bands.

Sang Dalang Abu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:20 am 

Seasons of the Wolf - Once in a Blue Moon
Listen to this masterpiece again again and again.

Lustmord - Paradise Disowned

Lustmord - Heresy :eek:

Sutcliffe Jügend - Death Mask :eek:

Dream Theater - The Number of the Beast [bootleg] (Iron Maiden cover)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 2232, 2233, 2234, 2235, 2236, 2237, 2238 ... 2914  Next