Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:51 am 

Bolt Thrower - In Battle There Is No Law

It's insane how obscenely good this album is.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:18 am 

Subrick wrote:
King Diamond - The 7th Day of July 1777

I mentioned previously that I feel Abigail is the best metal album ever made, but this is my favorite song off it. Absolute magic from minute one to minute done.

Yeah, though I can't do a King Diamond wail I always try when I listen to this masterpiece.

:np: Mercyful Fate - Nightmare

The first album I ever heard with the King, won it in a bet, and I was immediately hooked. This guitar tone is like a razor slicing your flesh.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:04 am 

Immortal - Withstand the Fall of Time

Did someone turn the temperature down? :headbang:

TestChamber
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:09 am 

Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky

Summer's finally over and it's getting colder where I live, so now's a better time than ever to play some Darkthrone.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:18 am 

TestChamber wrote:

Summer's finally over and it's getting colder where I live, so now's a better time than ever to play some Darkthrone.

That has been my thought process as well. October is mostly King Diamond/Mercyful Fate and black metal.

Darkthrone - To Walk the Infernal Fields.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:46 am 

Edenbridge - At First Light

This is their best album in 14 years. The best song of the album is the last few minutes of the multi-part epic.

Make of that information what you will.

anamelessghoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:14 pm 

Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth
Perfection

j_bentley12885
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:20 pm 

Pestilence - Testimony of the Ancients. I don't like it as much as Consuming Impulse but this is really good.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:20 pm 

Pinkish Crown - Utopia

Not bad. Their name sucks, though. Also, amusingly, yet another all-female power metal band with Destrose lineage.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:39 pm 

Razor - Taste the Floor

The fucking chainsaw sounds really are like the chef's kiss for this. They should've done it on even more songs than they did.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:50 pm 

Dark Moor - Walhalla

The recent discussion made me aware that I've never actually heard their debut album before. Indeed, sounds rough yet quite intriguing so far.

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:13 pm 

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Instant happiness guaranteed.

Non Euclidean
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:46 pm 

Right now, Zeal & Ardor (self-titled 2022). I don't like it as much as their earlier albums though it has its moments. Not loving the groove/nu metal unfluences, but whatever.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:59 pm 

Paul Chain - Park of Reason

This is maybe some of the furthest "outsider music" I have. Every other song is pure ambient and the rest of the songs are crushing doom metal. Final song's 15 minutes long and contains two songs, each played individually on two headphone channels. It's brilliant chaos. There's nothing likable about it. I resisted going back for a while. But it's genius shit.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:19 am 

Iron Maiden - If Eternity Should Fail

The Book of Souls was the new Maiden album I was most doubtful about. All it took was one good and hard listen after a loooong time, and now I'm starting to warm for it. Some songs rose from there which I didn't notice before, namely The Great Unknown, Death and Glory and Shadows of the Valley. Even Tears of a Clown and The Man of Sorrows are just good, honest Maiden tracks. Speed of Light seems still too light-hearted, but the rest of the stuff is pretty good.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:19 am 

LordStenhammar wrote:
Iron Maiden - If Eternity Should Fail

The Book of Souls was the new Maiden album I was most doubtful about. All it took was one good and hard listen after a loooong time, and now I'm starting to warm for it. Some songs rose from there which I didn't notice before, namely The Great Unknown, Death and Glory and Shadows of the Valley. Even Tears of a Clown and The Man of Sorrows are just good, honest Maiden tracks. Speed of Light seems still too light-hearted, but the rest of the stuff is pretty good.

The reception to this one confuses me a bit - people always wanted them to do more short songs and this one has the most of them that they've done in years. It's only so long because of a couple of very long tracks.

Conception - Missionary Man

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:12 am 

I was one who also sometimes shouted for shorter songs (not so much anymore because I heard Senjutsu), but with TBOS I don't know. There are good shorter songs like Death or Glory and Tears of a Clown, and then there are many longer ones. Think that album has good balance.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:49 am 

I always found it a lot of fun. Not as many true standouts as some of their stuff but it's consistently enjoyable.

Skullview - The Night of Metalkill

Been ages since I heard this. Pretty fuckin cool old trad metal in the mode of Twisted Tower Dire, Omen, etc.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:05 am 

Tyrant - Hereafter
Absolutely stellar mix of doom and traditional american metal with Rob Lowe on vocals. It's more straightforward metal than doom, but fans of doom will surely feel the vibe the genre emits.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:12 am 

Darkthrone - Leave No Cross Unturned

I love the vocals on this one. Plus a speedy underlying track.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:13 am 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Tyrant - Hereafter
Absolutely stellar mix of doom and traditional american metal with Rob Lowe on vocals. It's more straightforward metal than doom, but fans of doom will surely feel the vibe the genre emits.

As good as it is, I liked their original singer more, gotta say.

Skullview - Kings of the Universe

Nice galloping, thundering old school shit.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:14 am 

LordStenhammar wrote:
I was one who also sometimes shouted for shorter songs (not so much anymore because I heard Senjutsu), but with TBOS I don't know. There are good shorter songs like Death or Glory and Tears of a Clown, and then there are many longer ones. Think that album has good balance.

The only issue I had is the shorter tracks were all pretty mediocre. I'm trying to remember any parts of them right now and I'm coming up blank other than bits and pieces of lyrics and Bruce's singing. That album blew for me.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:22 am 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
LordStenhammar wrote:

The only issue I had is the shorter tracks were all pretty mediocre. I'm trying to remember any parts of them right now and I'm coming up blank other than bits and pieces of lyrics and Bruce's singing. That album blew for me.

I thought like that too (if we're talking strictly about TBOS) before listening to it yesterday. I think the short songs work well except for Speed of Light, which is on the same poor level as something like Wildest Dreams. Opinions.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:59 am 

Destroyer 666 - Cold Steel

The thread on the new album got me spinning some older stuff. Love the guitars and KK sounds great.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:19 am 

Rainbow - Deutchland Tournee 1976, Nurnberg 28 Sept.
Live 70s Rainbow was a force of nature.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:39 am 

TestChamber wrote:

I use Darkthrone especially Under a Funeral Moon in August to refresh temperature…lol

Now listening BlackBraid I

This guys make some noise and I must admit that is a fantastic album

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:04 pm 

Ozzy era Black Sabbath.

The original side A of Sabotage ranks among the best the band ever did, with any line-up. Megalomania is such a masterpiece that almost anything will sound tame after it even if I like it, so I commited tracklist blasphemy again by moving it to the end, also removing the unnecessarily "Stonehengy" Supertzar which hinders the album's flow. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is fantastic as it is, only the post-applause bass and drums coda of Spiral Architect is unnecessary, so I removed it with Audacity. Fuck you, I do what I want with my legally obtained mp3s! :) The placement of Planet Caravan on Paranoid is baffling, it belongs in the end of "side A", so I moved Electric Funeral to the third spot, with Iron Man opening "side B". Yes, I still think in terms of tape sides although I don't even use physical formats anymore. Fuck you! :) Oh, and the original side B of the debut pretty much sucks with the exception of Sleeping Village, so I just take those two covers out and put Wicked World in the end. You know what to do. :)

So, the Ozzy era albums rank as follows in terms of corrections needed:

1. Master of Reality (none)
2. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (one tiny change)
3. Paranoid (one switch)
4. Sabotage (one switch and one deletion)
5. Black Sabbath (two deletions and one outside addition)
6. Vol. 4 (two deletions and a whole bunch of switches)

I've never listened to Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die and I never will. :) Shut up, you're drunk and stupid.

Last edited by CreepingDeath16 on Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:00 pm 

Brutality - Sempiternity

This comp is the definition of a mixed bag. 2 new songs kick it off and are fuckin awesome as expected and they left me wanting more.
Then there's 2 re-recordings from 2018 which are OK, but the production takes a dive from the new tracks, ultimately they're absolutely pointless as the originals were totally fine in the first place.
Finally we get 4 live tracks from Maryland Death Fest 2019, now normally I don't give a shit about the live tracks tacked onto these sorta things but fuck these sound great and the band are on fire, wish I coulda been there!
So yeah, a mixed bag but damn the songs are awesome and it really does show off how fuckin great Brutality are!

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:11 pm 

Paradise Lost - Symphony For the Lost
Been on a huge PL kick (no surprise, as the leaves are changing). I never gave their live material much time, but this is quite good.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:49 pm 

Marduk - Christraping Black Metal - Fist Fucking God's Planet

This is like having your head put in a car door that is being repeatedly slammed. Not much subtlety in its approach. A purity in its intentions.

Last edited by Ace_Rimmer on Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:58 pm 

Immolation - Acts Of God

Anything new here? Nope. Did we need a new album? Probably not. Is it awesome? You fuckin betcha!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:42 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
Ozzy era Black Sabbath.

Just finished listening to Sabotage. To me, that's easily their most cohesive record, even if has its flaws.

NP: Paradise Lost - No Passage for the Dead

I've come to the conclusion that this PL's best album; even surpassing Gothic and Icon. 'Blood and Chaos' is crap, but everything else is pure doom and gloom!

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:53 pm 

King Diamond - "Them" and "Abigail"
LaRoque puts on a clinic for how to solo. Never get tired of listening to his playing.

ShunSacer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:44 pm 

Been playing Laaz Rockit - "Know your enemy" for weeks. What a gem. Mind you, I have a preference for extreme metal (from classic death metal to war metal, raw black metal and more) but well executed thrash hits a soft spot. From the skillfully played instruments (including a filthy Bruce Dickinson twin) to the compositions, what a classic. So glad I discovered this vinyl in some 2nd hand store bin years ago. Every song is worthy of attentive listening, but can I just call your attention around the 3:35 slot in 'Most dangerous game'? This feels like a combination of Testament era - "The legacy" and a filthier Iron Maiden. The twin solos are lively and breathtaking, communicating with each other energetically but gracefully, while at 04:03 the guitars are chugging aggressively underneath the ever-talking solos, supported by a very aggressive but playful drum gallop (pay attention to the prominent hi-hat and snare, what a control!). Man, this is true metal art. The vocals are top notch, high heavy metal shrieks, but still maintaining that aggression we want in our thrash.

See here for this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir_tAdFVW_E

See here for the entire album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw1yB4Z7f20

Wanted to share this with my metal brothers here.

firelord_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:15 pm 

Riot City - Eye of the Jaguar

Excellent single, really been looking forward to the full length since getting hooked on the debut. These guys seem to consistently do everything just right, from the vocals to the instrumentation. Can't wait!

Wargus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:35 pm 

Wewelsburg - Gott mit uns

So Put(a)in is still busy with the denazification of Ukriane, right...

Catchy song though.

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:28 pm 

Autopsy - Morbidity Triumphant

The guitars here are just unhinged. Good gory fun.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:41 pm 

Metallica - Mercyful Fate

From one of the 30th anniversary shows where (most of) the original lineup of MF joined them onstage for this medley.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:47 pm 

Numenorean - Adore

Saw them being mentioned on a different thread. Pretty good stuff but after reading the guys behind it are involved in really some serious shit kind of ruins the experience.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:05 pm 

Demolition Hammer - Time Bomb

I fuckin love this album! The opening trio of songs absolutely crush, other highlights include Blowtorch, the title track and a rather bizarre choice of a cover of Devo's Mongoloid. The Steve Evetts production is killer too.
The pits would've been total fuckin chaos!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 2699, 2700, 2701, 2702, 2703, 2704, 2705 ... 2910  Next