Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
raspberrysoda
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:51 pm
Posts: 916
Location: Edgystan
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:19 pm 
 

LordStenhammar wrote:
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven

The riffs.


The album.

NP: Bark Psychosis - Hex

I slept like shit tonight. Fits the mood
_________________
does it djent?

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

Top
 Profile  
forestcorpse
Veteran

Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:06 pm
Posts: 3929
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:35 pm 
 

Pagan Hellfire - Of Wind and Storm

One of the best BM bands these days.

Top
 Profile  
colin040
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:00 pm
Posts: 5647
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:11 pm 
 

Paradise Lost - Widow

Might as well be their best album for me nowadays. Greg and Nick were on top of their game back then.

Top
 Profile  
LycanthropeMoon
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:53 pm
Posts: 257
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:36 pm 
 

Bad Religion - Let Them Eat War

This has been one of my favorite Bad Religion tracks for many years, it's certainly one of their most unique ones. The part from Sage Francis actually works quite well.

Top
 Profile  
Rippingheadache
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:42 pm
Posts: 919
Location: Vietnam
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:10 pm 
 

Spite Extreme Wing - Vtra

Fuck. Some of the sickest black metal I've heard. Reminds me a lot of the more upbeat and pastoral elements of Peste Noire and Volahn. I can see myself getting drunk to this album soon.

Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 8207
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:42 am 
 

Cannibal Corpse - A Skull Full of Maggots

BastardHead had the best line ever in regards to people that think this band is bad: "If you don't like Cannibal Corpse, you don't get to pretend you like death metal."
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
I'm just perpetually annoyed by Sean William Scott and he's never been in a movie where I wasn't rooting for his head to sever by strange means.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Top
 Profile  
Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 am
Posts: 1516
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:07 am 
 

Rippingheadache wrote:
Spite Extreme Wing - Vtra

Fuck. Some of the sickest black metal I've heard. Reminds me a lot of the more upbeat and pastoral elements of Peste Noire and Volahn. I can see myself getting drunk to this album soon.


Im so glad to see appreciation for this album! It's a top ten ever for me and it has some damn beautiful lyrics :)
The ones before it are also not far behind in terms of quality, i love this band

Enslaved - The Sleeping Gods (ep)

The variety of the songs is staggering, this band is excellent at any style they try

Top
 Profile  
raspberrysoda
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:51 pm
Posts: 916
Location: Edgystan
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:18 am 
 

Idle Hands - Give Me to the Night

I see myself digging this. A lot.
_________________
does it djent?

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

Top
 Profile  
~Guest 375902
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:36 am
Posts: 445
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:56 am 
 

Necronomicon - Through the Door of Time
Holy smokes! Diving into this album and it lives up to the hype. Melodic, crushing chunkiness.

Top
 Profile  
Raindream
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:56 pm
Posts: 230
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:07 am 
 

Ali Jihad Racy & Simon Shaheen - Taqāsim: Improvisations in Arab Music

Been more in the mood for non-metric and improvisatory stuff. Easier to get ‘lost in’ than songs atm.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26739
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:28 am 
 

Radiohead - 2 + 2 = 5

Hail to the Thief is a hot mess of an album; not as catchy or atmospheric as their previous ones, but damn, the talent shines through anyway. Sprawling and eccentric as fuck.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Joker

Top
 Profile  
deopisi
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:14 pm
Posts: 281
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:49 am 
 

Warning - Watching from a distance

Best doom record ever? Maybe

Top
 Profile  
colin040
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:00 pm
Posts: 5647
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:19 am 
 

Paradise Lost - Frailty

Remains one of the band's more interesting recent albums. I wouldn't mind hearing some of these kind of riffs mixed with their recent doom/death flavor again.

Top
 Profile  
Rippingheadache
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:42 pm
Posts: 919
Location: Vietnam
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:39 am 
 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Im so glad to see appreciation for this album! It's a top ten ever for me and it has some damn beautiful lyrics :)
The ones before it are also not far behind in terms of quality, i love this band


I'm definitely keen on checking out the rest of their discography! Shame they called it quits.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26739
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:48 am 
 

Sanhedrin - The Poisoner

Always a pleasure when a new band just gets it right with the guitar tone and epic, no bullshit writing. It's music free of any trends.

Possessed - Dominion

New album sounds real good actually - some diabolical shredding shit. They've lost nothing to time.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Joker

Top
 Profile  
~Guest 375902
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:36 am
Posts: 445
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:57 am 
 

Angel Dust - Gambler
Speed Metal Attack. 7 minutes of fastidious outbursts.

Top
 Profile  
exsiccation
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:49 pm
Posts: 331
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:46 am 
 

Anubis Gate - Anubis Gate (album)

Still love these guys. The compositions are prog with a far more atmospheric angle than you usually see, and Henrik has such a distinctive and effective voice.

Top
 Profile  
Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:30 am
Posts: 1017
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:58 am 
 

Cradle of Filth - Hammer of the Witches

Love this drummer, love the guitars and riffage. And Dani is sounding great.

Yep, I'm in a CoF "phase" now. Picked up Cryptoriana last night and that fucker slays too. What a later career comeback. Time to fill in more of the classics. I think Cruelty and the Beast is up next.

Top
 Profile  
LycanthropeMoon
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:53 pm
Posts: 257
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:53 pm 
 

Fields of the Nephilim - Laura II

So that's what it'd be like if The Sisters of Mercy were in a Western flick.

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Cradle of Filth - Hammer of the Witches

Love this drummer, love the guitars and riffage. And Dani is sounding great.

Yep, I'm in a CoF "phase" now. Picked up Cryptoriana last night and that fucker slays too. What a later career comeback. Time to fill in more of the classics. I think Cruelty and the Beast is up next.

"Hammer of the Witches" and "Cryptoriana" are textbook examples of artistic rebirth. It's kind of amazing, considering how steep their decline was.

Top
 Profile  
colin040
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:00 pm
Posts: 5647
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:54 pm 
 

Salem - Kaddish

This is really fucking cool stuff - foreign sounding black/doom metal with tortured vocals interesting riffs. I also like how the band isn't afraid to speed the hell up sometimes.

Top
 Profile  
~Guest 375902
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:36 am
Posts: 445
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:14 pm 
 

Monuments - Phronesis
First time cranking this djent release. First couple songs are shite (a bad Periphery overdive), though Vanta and its follow up are a slight relief.

Top
 Profile  
Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:30 am
Posts: 1017
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:29 pm 
 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
Fields of the Nephilim - Laura II

So that's what it'd be like if The Sisters of Mercy were in a Western flick.

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Cradle of Filth - Hammer of the Witches

Love this drummer, love the guitars and riffage. And Dani is sounding great.

Yep, I'm in a CoF "phase" now. Picked up Cryptoriana last night and that fucker slays too. What a later career comeback. Time to fill in more of the classics. I think Cruelty and the Beast is up next.

"Hammer of the Witches" and "Cryptoriana" are textbook examples of artistic rebirth. It's kind of amazing, considering how steep their decline was.


I've got Thornography, the only one in between Dusk and Hammer, and to say it sound a bit light is an understatment. Though I do like Foetus of a New Day Kicking.

Top
 Profile  
raumr
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:11 pm
Posts: 1271
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:03 pm 
 

Black Sabbath - A National Acrobat

Not the greatest Sabbath song by far, but Ozzy's vocals are really powerful in this one!

Top
 Profile  
~Guest 375902
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:36 am
Posts: 445
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:10 pm 
 

Dopamine - Dying Away in the Deep Fall
The post-rock parts make me want to dive back into the genre. The lack of melancholy here is wanting.

Top
 Profile  
ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:52 pm
Posts: 715
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:54 pm 
 

Galneryus- Dream Place

Such a good song, such a good chorus, not as fast paced as the other songs but its catchy as hell like most Galneryus songs.
_________________
I'm Greek. My body produces feta cheese.

Top
 Profile  
Sang Dalang Abu
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:18 am
Posts: 417
Location: Esoteric-rcm;3-15
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:21 am 
 

John Zorn - Naked City
:thumbsup:

John Zorn - Nani Nani (collab. w. Yamantaka Eye) [Collaboration]
:thumbsup: this is crazy

高橋アキ - Xenakis · Works for Piano (A. Takahashi) ·
:eek:

Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
:bow: :bow:

Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
#1

Iced Earth - Night of the Stormrider
#2

Radiohead - OK Computer
Re-listen. What an amazing album.

Radiohead - Kid A

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26739
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:02 am 
 

Angel Dust - Let Me Live

There's a genuinely sorrowful and angry bent to this album, with the heaviness being really menacing and full of emotion - it's very far from any kind of 'let's rock out' vibe like other bands have usually had.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Joker

Top
 Profile  
LordStenhammar
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:46 am
Posts: 1671
Location: The 9th Circle of Hollola
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:06 am 
 

Venom - Poison

Welcome to Hell loudly playing, me very much enjoying.
_________________
I live in METALLIC FURY, in the wake of METALSTRÖM.

Top
 Profile  
~Guest 375902
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:36 am
Posts: 445
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:56 am 
 

Empyreal wrote:
Angel Dust - Let Me Live

There's a genuinely sorrowful and angry bent to this album, with the heaviness being really menacing and full of emotion - it's very far from any kind of 'let's rock out' vibe like other bands have usually had.

It sure is a (downer?)kicker, lent a hand by the synth work, though I love them at their speed element more.

Godmother - Eyes Bleached
Badass riff imbues at the fourth minute. Really awesome, before an effect of the song deteriorating outros the track.

Top
 Profile  
deopisi
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:14 pm
Posts: 281
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:31 pm 
 

Sarcofago - I.N.R.I.

Some primordial stuff

Top
 Profile  
~Guest 375902
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:36 am
Posts: 445
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:52 pm 
 

Deadtide - Begin the Dream
Talk of solid destruction of any idolatry at the Gothenburg altar.

Top
 Profile  
Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:30 am
Posts: 1017
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:54 pm 
 

Mayhem - Freezing Moon

Raw, brutal, powerful, unholy.

Top
 Profile  
Xenophon
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:07 am
Posts: 1019
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:07 pm 
 

Chevalier - Destiny Calls

An improvement over their earlier works imo. I think the production could be improved, but this is quite a fun riff-fest, with the drumming and vocal performances being noticeably above-par for this style of music.

Top
 Profile  
LycanthropeMoon
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:53 pm
Posts: 257
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:03 pm 
 

Social Distortion - Another State of Mind

Seeing these guys in September, should be fun. I'll also say I love the documentary named after this song.

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
LycanthropeMoon wrote:
Fields of the Nephilim - Laura II

So that's what it'd be like if The Sisters of Mercy were in a Western flick.

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Cradle of Filth - Hammer of the Witches

Love this drummer, love the guitars and riffage. And Dani is sounding great.

Yep, I'm in a CoF "phase" now. Picked up Cryptoriana last night and that fucker slays too. What a later career comeback. Time to fill in more of the classics. I think Cruelty and the Beast is up next.

"Hammer of the Witches" and "Cryptoriana" are textbook examples of artistic rebirth. It's kind of amazing, considering how steep their decline was.


I've got Thornography, the only one in between Dusk and Hammer, and to say it sound a bit light is an understatment. Though I do like Foetus of a New Day Kicking.

You've definitely gotta get "Cruelty and the Beast" and "Midian" next to wash away the bitter aftertaste of "Thornography", lol.

Top
 Profile  
Raindream
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:56 pm
Posts: 230
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:21 pm 
 

Type O Negative - October Rust

:bow:

Top
 Profile  
Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:30 am
Posts: 1017
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:50 am 
 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
You've definitely gotta get "Cruelty and the Beast" and "Midian" next to wash away the bitter aftertaste of "Thornography", lol.

Doh, I do have Midian. I should have wrote that isntead of Dusk. Midian was the first CoF record i got back when it was new. Dig it big time.

NP CoF - The Twisted Nails of Faith.

Good tune but fuck do those drums sound like shit. I may wait for the remix that is supposed to be out this year.

Top
 Profile  
LordStenhammar
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:46 am
Posts: 1671
Location: The 9th Circle of Hollola
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:25 am 
 

Totengott - Satan Beside You

Would be nice, if they had one idea of their OWN. Even the lyrics seem to be copied from CF. I get it's some kind of a tribute act, but...
_________________
I live in METALLIC FURY, in the wake of METALSTRÖM.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26739
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:42 am 
 

Riot City - Burn the Night

Pretty stock, standard stuff. Not exciting me all that much. They got a lot of energy though.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Joker

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 9205
Location: St. Charles, Illinois
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:35 am 
 

Holy shit, big thanks to MutantClannfear for finding this gem in the band queue. The music is good and all but please for the love of all that is good, stop what you're doing and skip to 0:54 for the absolute funniest god damned vocals you'll hear all year. It's the best-worst-Arnie-as-Conan impression I've ever heard.

Youtube: show
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: Everfrost - Winterider
The Outer RIM - Uatism: The dogs bark in street slang

Top
 Profile  
forestcorpse
Veteran

Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:06 pm
Posts: 3929
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:47 pm 
 

Goatmoon - Pure Blood

Raw and melodic, killer band.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 2239, 2240, 2241, 2242, 2243, 2244, 2245 ... 2287  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: doomicus, Google [Bot], Kerrick, Velmu and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group