Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:23 pm 

Saber Tiger - Devastation Trail

Definitely not one of my favorite bands or anything, but it's pretty remarkable how this band still manages to release quality prog/power so late in their career.

pikesteriff71
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:56 pm 

Whipstriker - These Grey Days

I can identify with the song title.
We have them all year round.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:07 pm 

Primordial - Lain With The Wolf

Hopefully a new Primordial album shows up somewhere this year...I miss them.
As you stand there totally still (because you're too hip and cool to headbang, except ironically) you feel yourself elevating to a more superior and higher plane as you over intellectualise your reactions to the aural wallpaper emanating from the stage.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:21 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Primordial - Lain With The Wolf

Hopefully a new Primordial album shows up somewhere this year...I miss them.

Great song, Primordial rocks!

Black Sabbath - Trashed

I love the ''Born Again'' album.
So many great songs!

pikesteriff71
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:49 pm 

Aura Noir - Hell's Lost Chambers/The Obscuration

I'm glad they went out on a high like this.
These two finish off side A but the other side is just as good.
Shaping up to be my favourite album from them.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:35 pm 

Coldbound - Slumber of Decay

Checking this out since Liv Kristine's a part of it.
Never heard this band until now. This song's pretty cool - nice gothic vibes. Better than the last two Leaves' Eyes albums and more similar to Theatre of Tragedy than them (though not quite the same of course).

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:45 pm 

This insane version of "Natural Science" by Rush from a 90s tribute album, with James Murphy on guitar and Devin Townsend doing Devin Townsend things with his voice.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Burning_Missive
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:47 pm 

The Ruins Of Beverast: The Thule Grimoires

Can't call it yet since it's still early in the year, but it's very hard for me to imagine this won't be my Album Of The Year. I've already lost count of how many times I've listened to it and it hasn't overstayed its welcome or gotten the slightest bit boring. About the only band I listen to that could possibly come along and usurp it would be if my favorite current band Godspeed You! Black Emperor decides to drop an album later this year. It has been almost four years since Luciferian Towers came out, so I'd say they're due for a new album anyway. Considering the type of music they play and the pandemic we've been living in for a year now, I can only imagine the premium quality of new music they would come up with; possibly even something that will go down in history as one of the finest albums ever put to tape. Here's hoping.

Roxyben
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:11 pm 

Burning_Missive wrote:
The Ruins Of Beverast: The Thule Grimoires

Can't call it yet since it's still early in the year, but it's very hard for me to imagine this won't be my Album Of The Year. I've already lost count of how many times I've listened to it and it hasn't overstayed its welcome or gotten the slightest bit boring. About the only band I listen to that could possibly come along and usurp it would be if my favorite current band Godspeed You! Black Emperor decides to drop an album later this year. It has been almost four years since Luciferian Towers came out, so I'd say they're due for a new album anyway. Considering the type of music they play and the pandemic we've been living in for a year now, I can only imagine the premium quality of new music they would come up with; possibly even something that will go down in history as one of the finest albums ever put to tape. Here's hoping.

Same here the album just flows. Im 10+ times through it and still slightly undecided about it but every further journey through it it makes more sense. Totally different to previous efforts. Should it work? I'm not sure but it does!

NP-Esoteric-Metamorphogenesis
Been on a major funeral doom binge recently so revisiting all of Esoteric's back catalogue.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:21 pm 

Accept - Teutonic Terror

Mark Tornillo is the fucking MAN. This dude deserves to be remembered as one of the great metal singers in history.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:15 am 

The Interrupters - This is the New Sound

Dunno how new this sound is exactly since it essentially sounds like what would happen if Rancid had a female vocalist, but I definitely like it a lot so it doesn't matter anyway.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:26 am 

Cadaver Inc - Murderhead

Total neck snapper. Discipline is a very cool album.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:48 pm 

My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans (the song)

I read they wrote the music to the lyrics for this and not the other way round so I went and checked 'em out. Very descriptive frightful stuff full of brutal agony and longing as per usual.... except this was the band in their prime - riffs for days, that ancient weepy violin, wretched growls, a monument of a song.
As you stand there totally still (because you're too hip and cool to headbang, except ironically) you feel yourself elevating to a more superior and higher plane as you over intellectualise your reactions to the aural wallpaper emanating from the stage.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:00 pm 

Belzebuth - Untitled

Dark and obscure, great project.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:32 pm 

Orden Ogan - Gunmen

It occurs to me these guys have basically had their own style since the beginning - doesn't really sound like they copied much of anything except for vague elements. This album pretty much holds up. Not as exciting as some of their old ones but a solid album of PM. "Fields of Sorrow" - what a tremendous fucking song.

Pig Destroyer - Prowler in the Yard

This was always a band I'd meant to check but just never did until recently. Kicking myself for it. Absolute top tier extreme metal in general. Brilliant riffs and writing, along with piercing, warped lyricism.

Last edited by Empyreal on Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:40 pm 

Kommandement - Verpiss dich!

Great stuff from Belgium!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:29 pm 

Saber Tiger - Endsville

It's remarkable how this band keep on going. Granted, I could do with a bit more risks involved, but most of their modern stuff seems solid-as-hell prog/power that doesn't let disappoint in the riff-department.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:42 pm 

Drowning the Light - Cursed Below the Waves

Nice to see a homegrown band flirting with themes surrounding Lovecraft and thalassophobia, something that scares the absolute shit out of me.
Previous album was called "From the Abyss". Don't go in the fucking water, we don't yet know what's in there
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:49 pm 

Orden Ogan - This Is

'Vale' is really quite different from how streamlined and Wacken-ish they got later. I miss the prog leanings and weird choices.

Orden Ogan - Til the Stars Cry Out

Last stop for now on the re-listening train - this thing is a fucking monster of PM. Great guitar tone, cool as fuck melodies. I might have even underrated this one a bit.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:12 pm 

Ulver - Kveldssanger

It's a neofolk night for me!

Check out my reviews

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:18 pm 

Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult - Necrovision

Digging the fact that the vocalist is a chick, which I assume is a rare thing in Black Metal

Edit: Just listened to Asagraum too, now I'm obsessed with finding more female-fronted groups in the genre
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:15 am 

Twilightning - Plague House Puppet Show

I gave this a really low rating a long time ago. I guess I can see why now, but I also like poppy rock a lot more now than I did then. It's kind of fun. An unabashed weird good time.

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:32 am 

gestapothrash wrote:
...which I assume is a rare thing in Black Metal

Edit: Just listened to Asagraum too, now I'm obsessed with finding more female-fronted groups in the genre

There is a list of black metal bands/projects with female singers on RYM:
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/drowned_ ... k_metal/1/
Spoiler: show
(it was compiled by a male listener of black metal music, so if you are a female fan of black metal I advise you to skip that author's intro/description at the beginning of the list because, to me, it looks a little weird, but when it comes to the bands'/projects' BM subgenres, it seems they're quite accurate and informative)

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:55 am 

sjal wrote:
gestapothrash wrote:

(it was compiled by a male listener of black metal music, so if you are a female fan of black metal I advise you to skip that author's intro/description at the beginning of the list because, to me, it looks a little weird, but when it comes to the bands'/projects' BM subgenres, it seems they're quite accurate and informative)

Cheers!

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:55 am 

AFI - Three Reasons

Fast and pissed off hardcore punk. "Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes" is where things started getting darker, though the goth elements hadn't quite shown up yet. Still, the humor present on the two albums before this is completely gone here. A rager from beginning to end.

interstellar_medium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:24 am 

sjal wrote:
gestapothrash wrote:

One band missing from that list is Arsenic Addiction - the archives list their genre as "gothic", but it's heavily blackened "gothic", if it's gothic at all.
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ar ... 3540352291

LordStenhammar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:59 am 

Spiritus Mortis - Holiday in the Cemetery

Holiday coming in few months! Though it changes nothing in my everyday life...

Trouble - The Skull

This one has finally started to open. The guitars make a lot of this. Very heavy, and beautiful at times.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:18 pm 

Entombed - When Life Has Ceased

The be-all-end-all of Swedish death metal. You just can't beat this.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:24 pm 

Epica - Wings of Freedom

I prefer this cover over the original, not gonna lie.

sjal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:39 pm 

interstellar_medium wrote:
sjal wrote:
gestapothrash wrote:

One band missing from that list is Arsenic Addiction - the archives list their genre as "gothic", but it's heavily blackened "gothic", if it's gothic at all.
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ar ... 3540352291

interstellar_medium, thank you for the contribution and for the clarification about the band's genre. I've never heard of this band before so I'll check their songs/albums out. :)

*I apologize for the off-topic.*

Yes, I know there are a few more black metal-related bands/projects with harsh female vocals that were not mentioned on that list, but there is a wide variety of black metal subgenres on the list and there are quite a few bands/projects that represent these subgenres, so I think it can be quite informative for a listener of black metal music who wants to discover some female-fronted black metal bands/projects and who seems to have no information on where to start.
From my experience, many of those lists on RYM are really good, and they can save you time and make a process of searching/discovering new music a little easier. I would just prefer it if there was not such a subjective and overly generalized opinion/description about harsh female vocals (that they are "vicious" and "witchy"), because there are so many different harsh vocal styles and emotions+feelings they convey. Not to mention that even if the author's opinion about female vocals in black metal genre seems quite positive, some words in that description still look offensive for female fans of black metal music and female singers/musicians tbh, but what can you do... :(

NP: Fires in the Distance - Reflections in the Ice

Maybe it's just me, but the beginning of this song makes me think of the guitar playing on the song "A Meeting Place and Time" by Woods of Ypres.. Anyway, even if it sounds familiar and not very new/original for me, I really like the metal music and harsh vocals on this melodic doom/death metal album. <3
Some atmospheric non-metal elements sound a bit too 'modern' for me, but they are still enjoyable and they fit the mood and the style of metal music on the album.

Last edited by sjal on Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:54 pm 

Testament- The Formation of Damnation.

What an unbelievably middling to sub-par album. If it weren't for the thrash titans that are "More Than Meets the Eye" and "Henchmen Ride" this album would be utterly worthless. Thankfully Testament came back big-time with Dark Roots of Earth.

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:11 pm 

Subservient Perversity ‎– Subservient Perversity

This has been re-released this year with a brand new album layout and artwork on Satanic Skinhead Propaganda, really stoked to grab myself a copy.

Very good blast beat Black/Death/War that's in the same vein as Primitive Warfare

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:16 pm 

Krokus - Screaming in the Night.

Monday Night Metal on KSHE 95 is back on.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:23 pm 

The Chasm - Conqueror and Warlord

This has to be one of the most over the top, gluttonous death metal feasts ever. And my pick for best DM album personally. A thundering, winding catacomb of musicality.

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:04 am 

After a bunch of "metal" MNM is onto....

Dream Theater - Paralyzed.

Too bad the singer sucks, the music is OK.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:28 am 

The Dirty Nil - Done With Drugs

Absolutely excellent.
I already feel like "Fuck Art" will be my favorite punk album of 2021 even though it came out on January 1st, but y'know, we'll see.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:58 am 

Ulver - Nemoralia

What a fantastic song.

Burning_Missive
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:12 am 

Oathbreaker: Ease Me & 4 Interpretations

Love this band and completely transfixed on Caro Tanghe's voice.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:35 am 

Candlemass - The well of souls

Time to revisit the only doom metal band I could ever fully appreciate.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy the shit out of doom metal but Candlemass just has the perfect balance for me.

I got places I gotta be!

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:29 am 

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Love it! In addition to the singles I already knew I liked, most of it is great!)
Ted Nugent - Weekend Warriors (YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH!)
Joan Baez - Diamonds & Rust (Already loved the Priest cover version- I'd say I like this too!)
Traffic - Feelin Alright: the Very Best of Traffic (Great!)
Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy (Very good!)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 2461, 2462, 2463, 2464, 2465, 2466, 2467  Next