Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:07 pm 

From the bands FB:

A message from Czral. Some of you knew this, a lot of you didn't. What can one say really? Thanks for all the fish!
- Einz
"Good evening y’all. Or good morning or afternoon, depending on where you are in the world which is made up of time-zones and landslides. We are now into our 18th year of existance, and as you all know, in 1918, in plymouth, Charlie Chaplin forgot his drivers-license at the chemist's while simultaneously thinking about tunafish and batteries. An odd moment, yes, but it has reminded us (in Virus) that it’s time to throw in the towel.. It’s been 4 full-lengths, a demo and a mini-album and a few handfuls of gigs, plus the odd whale-shark encounter. Einz has become voivod of bulgaria (1155-1299), Plenum has become the prime minister of Equador while simultaneously working as a paediatrician in Ukraine. Czral has become a well known Elvis -and Bret Michaels-impersonator whilst working as a moped-vendor machine-operator in birmingham. So that’s why we’ve decided to lay down our deplorable riffs and beats and bass-lines, rather than being «on ice, don’t know what’s happening» -mode, for an unforeseeable future... You know, you can’t devour an apple more than three times: the time you buy it, the time you put it on your kitchen-counter, and the time you decide to throw it away because it’s gone bad. Only thrice. But I digress.. My point is: at some point, you realise that what you set out to do has now been done, now, so now.. Thank you, bye bye, we were Virus.. "

Man... I am emotional. I really loved them, seen them live 2x, especially the Roadburn show I really enjoyed.
As much as I like Aura Noir, I just hope that Czral will still be involved in some new weird project, I will never get enough of that VBE and Virus weirdness.

Dragunov
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:32 pm 

Damn, was wondering if they were planning on putting out more music for next year...guess not. RIP.

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:56 pm 

That's a real bummer. The Agent That Shapes the Desert is a legit masterpiece and I still listen to it once in a while.

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:30 am 

Damn. The last two albums where insanely good and 'ive never managed to see them live... what a shame :(

They had one if not the best rhythm sections in metal and some of the most creative crazed riffs out there. I hope it's not the last time we hear something from them, even if not as a band

KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:54 am 

I've been spinning Aura Noir quite a bit these past few days. Unbelievably, I was just made aware of Virus earlier today while doing some various internet clickies while researching Aggressor/Czral. Seems like quite the coincidental bummer, but it also seems like they have some great material worth checking out.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:30 am 

prob my fave virus gig was when i saw em with 3 guitarists back in 2011. Great and unique band and will be missed.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:38 am 

I wonder if this has anything to do with the recent activity in the Cadaver camp. Anders Odden is recording a new album, maybe Czral is involved in a new lineup?

BasqueStorm
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:05 am 

slavonic777 wrote:
From the bands FB:

Thanks! :beer:

https://www.facebook.com/virusnorwayofficial/posts/2177813509096860

What a weird statement! :eek:

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:13 pm 

Hopefully now they're on their way to being better appreciated! The Black Flux is definitely one of the better rock albums of this millennium. As long as Carl puts his energies into Aura Noir, I'm fine with this, though. Weirdly enough, it felt like Virus's writing style was more linear for him than Aura Noir's is, ha.

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:15 am 

Not cool :(
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:19 am 

slavonic777 wrote:
"
Thank you, bye bye, we were Virus.. "

Man... I am emotional.

As ridiculous as it sounds, and as weird and wonderful as that statement was, I wanted to cry reading that ending. These guys were absolutely magical. There was something incredibly deep and moving within the layers of weird rhythms, demented crooning and warped riffs. Tracks like 'Road', 'Bandit', 'Shame Eclipse', 'Strange Calm' and 'Call of the Tuskers' are incredibly emotionally evocative.

I'll admit I wasn't as enamoured with Memento Collider - although I feel like the New York live show did the songs more justice. It has all the individual pieces, but somehow it doesn't produce the same results as the first three albums for me. I've been speaking to Einar, the drummer, and he told me that it has been a long while coming, but they were waiting for the right time to make the announcement, which might explain my experience of the last album. I presume that they waited with the announcement until after the re-release of the first three albums, so that the whole thing wouldn't look like a cash grab.

Man, it still stings so much.

gasmask_colostomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:27 am 

slavonic777 wrote:
Einz has become voivod of bulgaria (1155-1299), Plenum has become the prime minister of Equador while simultaneously working as a paediatrician in Ukraine. Czral has become a well known Elvis -and Bret Michaels-impersonator whilst working as a moped-vendor machine-operator in birmingham.

Now that's how you tell your fans that it's over.

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:58 pm 

I hate that I only really check out certain bands once they've broken up. This is one of them. Just played "The Agent..." and was very impressed. Ah well, better late than never, for sure.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:35 pm 

BeholdtheNicktopus wrote:
I hate that I only really check out certain bands once they've broken up. This is one of them. Just played "The Agent..." and was very impressed. Ah well, better late than never, for sure.

Definitely check out The Black Flux as well then, which I find to be their most consistent work, and of course Carheart as a wonderfully bizarre introduction.

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:05 am 

Quote:
Well, here's what Czral said in the interview of my latest issue of Arise! zine:

"I’ve started a new band with drummer Kristian Valbo (Obliteration, Void Eater, ex-Aura Noir live-drummer). As of now we can describe it as dark and sonic jazz... We don’t have a name yet, but the hyenas are coming!"

So when one road ends, another begins...

Source:
http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... l&start=15

Reply to topic