Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:12 pm 

Hopefully this thread works out the way I want it to.

What’s the popular opinion on Candlemass? I found Epicus Doomicus Metallicus to be metal as fuck, but a little corny. Is their work generally seen in a positive eye?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:34 pm 

Candlemass are one of the most legendary names in doom metal. Their "classic era" is from 1986-1989.

My choice is also Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, Johan was amazing in those days. It's too bad when he finally joined Candlemass as an actual member decades later his voice has radically changed.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool
Edgy Metal Noob Catchphrase Dispenser

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:41 pm 

Why is progressive metal so popular? It's boring with few exceptions.

recyclage wrote:
Anyone who writes "The Deftones" isn't trustworthy.

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:33 pm 

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool wrote:

I wouldn't say it's that popular, but I think part of the appeal with prog metal is that many people find the compositional skills to be pretty cool without being extreme; there's also somewhat of a theatrical vibe to some bands, which isn't too cheesy like power metal, or over-the-top like symphonic metal. Personally, I am not that huge of a fan of most prog metal since I feel like many bands are just being complex for the sake of complexity rather than strictly focusing on songwriting; I'm generally more of a man of simplicity, though I do enjoy me some Devin Townsend. The other problem is that this label has become so vague recently that almost any metal song that's over seven minutes could be considered "prog."

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:50 pm 

How big is the underground South American scene in Europe?

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:51 pm 

Out of curiosity, what are your exceptions? If you can count these as prog, mine would be Gojira and late Death, although I am quite unfamiliar with the genre as a whole.

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:52 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
How big is the underground South American scene in Europe?

I have no idea, but your signature is based.

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:57 pm 

Why is a hat turned backwards and ear gauges always a sign of bad "death" metal?

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:06 pm 

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt wrote:
Why is a hat turned backwards and ear gauges always a sign of bad "death" metal?

Finally, a question that is actually specific. I'd say it's associated with nu metal/deathcore fashion. Not "standard metal" like leather jacket and long hair. Then again, for death metal specifically, it's really just cargo shorts and black shirt.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:01 pm 

Progressive metal is popular with a subset of fans that get into the technical aspects of the music more so than the aesthetic aspects. In other words, the people who will hear a song and think, "they pulled off that 11-count beat perfectly while transitioning between Mixolydian and Phrygian mode and jumped from the key of D to C sharp" as opposed to "That rhythm works great with that melody, and the song really gets me moving."

Candlemass- my personal favorite of theirs is the 2005 self-titled "White album" but their 80's stuff is good too; though some of their early stuff kind of drags too much for me.

Why are backwards hats and ear gauges a bad sign? Sometimes you can judge a book by it's cover- and a band by their fashion statement. Same way a lot of people think bands dressed in black clothes, scary-clown makeup and spikes is a good sign. Backwards hat and ear gagues seem to be associated more with deathcore and nu-metal bands, though not exclusively.

I can't speak to the popularity of South American bands in Europe; I don't live in Europe.

Footless
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:18 pm 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
Then again, for death metal specifically, it's really just cargo shorts

Need to get my ass a pair…

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:49 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Progressive metal is popular with a subset of fans that get into the technical aspects of the music more so than the aesthetic aspects. In other words, the people who will hear a song and think, "they pulled off that 11-count beat perfectly while transitioning between Mixolydian and Phrygian mode and jumped from the key of D to C sharp" as opposed to "That rhythm works great with that melody, and the song really gets me moving."

That's a gross oversimplification. Records like V: The New Mythology Suite, The Odyssey, Twilight In Olympus or The Damnation Game by Symphony X, or Images and Words, by Dream Theater, are amazing records beyond their technical aspects, odd time signatures and whatnot. These are masterfully crafted records with amazing songwriting.

Bands like Leprous, Fates Warning, Caligula's Horse, Opeth, Angra, maudlin of the Well, Voivod, Devin Townsend Project, Pain of Salvation, Nevermore, and Hammers of Misfortune are all bands with progressive metal records in their discography, revered for their quality song-writing and aesthetics.

There's people in it for the over-the-top technical stuff, but you can't assume that all the people who like prog don't care about aesthetics and songwriting, not with the high quality prog metal there is out there.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:09 am 

Footless wrote:

What’s the popular opinion on Candlemass? I found Epicus Doomicus Metallicus to be metal as fuck, but a little corny. Is their work generally seen in a positive eye?

The early old stuff is great but yeah some of it is kinda cheesy now. Tales of Creation is their most underrated album...like, it's so good.

Solitude Aeturnus (early) invokes that majestic otherworldly epic doom that first Candlemass hinted at. Try them out.

Cirrus uncinus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:57 am 

A pattern that I've noticed way too often in my experience: why is it that if a band has one female member (so excluding all-female bands and bands with 2+ female members) and she's not the lead vocalist, about 80% of the time she's the bassist?

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:35 am 

In my experience the token female member is more often the vocalist. The beauty-and-the-beast aesthetic is common, especially for power metal, symphonic metal, and gothic metal.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:58 am 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
In my experience the token female member is more often the vocalist. The beauty-and-the-beast aesthetic is common, especially for power metal, symphonic metal, and gothic metal.

reading comprehension fail

Cirrus uncinus wrote:
A pattern that I've noticed way too often in my experience: why is it that if a band has one female member (so excluding all-female bands and bands with 2+ female members) and she's not the lead vocalist, about 80% of the time she's the bassist?

they all want to be jo bench?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:38 am 

That's not even a specifically metal thing. I noticed it myself when I was a kid in the 90s. I even remember Beavis and Butthead joking about how every woman in a rock band plays bass. I have absolutely zero idea why this seems to be the case BUT I've also never really looked into it to see if it's actually disproportionate or if I've just been confirmation biasing myself for decades.

Shoutout to Maximum the Hormone for being one of the only bands I can think of where the lone woman is the drummer (also a vocalist, songwriter, and one of the two lasting original members) but they're kind of a tough sell here, lol. I believe Gorod had a female drummer for a few years but I don't remember if she ever actually wound up on an album.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:34 am 

Lamp of Thtoth and Arkham Witch both have their sole female member as the drummer.

When you get into bands in genres like gothic metal or folk metal, chances are if there's a female non-vocalist in the band, rather than more than likely being the bassist, she's more than likely the keyboardist, flautist, violinist, etc.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:39 am 

i was gonna say ekpyrosis too (italian incantation worship band i saw live some years ago), but looks like they've switched to a guy behind the kit

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:21 am 

If Geoff Tate both spits and pisses into a 30 MPH gust at the same time, what gets wet first: Tate's shoes, vest, or Scott Rockenfield?

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:40 am 

KrigareTjovane wrote:
If Geoff Tate both spits and pisses into a 30 MPH gust at the same time, what gets wet first: Tate's shoes, vest, or Scott Rockenfield?

The answer to this question holds significant ramifications on the future of Western civilization.
As an aside, Rockenfield was a cancer on that band, a blemish on the face of their stellar career, and Tate's act of spitting in his face was absolutely heroic and shines as a beacon of justice to all and sundry.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:45 am 

Benedict Donald wrote:
KrigareTjovane wrote:

The answer to this question holds significant ramifications on the future of Western civilization.
As an aside, Rockenfield was a cancer on that band, a blemish on the face of their stellar career, and Tate's act of spitting in his face was absolutely heroic and shines as a beacon of justice to all and sundry.

Can someone explain this one to me? The only Queensyche lore I know about was Geoff's split with the rest of the band.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:52 pm 

This is quite dumb, often involves bands I've never really listened to, and might be easily cleared up by a Google search I'm too lazy to do, but ... I don't understand repetitive album titles within the same band's discography. Best example is Iced Earth.

1998 - Something Wicked This Way Comes
2007 - Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked - Part 1)
2008 - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked - Part 2)
Shouldn't "Something Wicked This Way Comes" be "Something Wicked Part 1"? Making the other albums parts 2 and 3 despite the official titles?

Other examples include bands re-using words (not common ones like "the" and "of") over the span of just a few albums: Burn My Eyes and The Burning Red, Hatebreeder and Hate Crew Deathroll, Peace Sells But Who's Buying and Rust in Peace. Part of me pictures the band members saying "Ah yes, that word repetition was a deliberate choice to emphasize the thematic link between our artistic statements." And the other part imagines "Oh crap, we didn't even notice that, yeah we got lazy didn't we?"

Again I admit this is all silly and not legitimate grounds for disliking any band. In fact my most-listened-to band Cradle of Filth used the "[Blank] and [Blank]" template three times in a four album span.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:59 pm 

Cirrus uncinus wrote:

Men are often too insecure to have a woman in the band handle the "manly instruments".

thereflectingskin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:38 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
Cirrus uncinus wrote:

Men are often too insecure to have a woman in the band handle the "manly instruments".

"Just play the one nobody cares about so I can maintain my ego."

No, jk, idk if it's that and I don't really know the cause behind this pattern (or if, like BH said, it truly is a pattern), but I'd bet there's a good chance it has to do with misogyny somehow.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:15 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Other examples include bands re-using words (not common ones like "the" and "of") over the span of just a few albums: Burn My Eyes and The Burning Red, Hatebreeder and Hate Crew Deathroll, Peace Sells But Who's Buying and Rust in Peace. Part of me pictures the band members saying "Ah yes, that word repetition was a deliberate choice to emphasize the thematic link between our artistic statements." And the other part imagines "Oh crap, we didn't even notice that, yeah we got lazy didn't we?"

I'll have to admit I never once noticed that Megadeth had the word "peace" in the title of two of their records before you pointed it out, and I think the reason behind it is that they aren't used in a way to form some kind of thematic continuity, because they are two completely different uses of the term peace. One is about world peace, or peace between nations, as in an absence of war, while the other is a play of word on "rest in peace" which is more about inner peace, individual well-being.

As for Children of Bodom and their use of the word "hate" it's definitely a thematic thing. They have a lot of songs about hate, violent emotions, and they refered to themselves as "The Hate Crew". With the Reaper appearing on all their album artworks, I'd say it was a defining trait of the band to have a continuity within their themes throughout their discography.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:25 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:

Kreator:

Violent Revolution
Enemy of God

Gods of Violence

With regards to Children of Bodom, they also had Chaos Ridden Years (live album/DVD) and I Worship Chaos, along with Blooddrunk and Halo of Blood (plus Bodom After Midnight's EP being called Paint the Sky with Blood).

Last edited by lordcatfish on Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thereflectingskin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:28 pm 

I think if there's a naming convention for Megadeth it's their first three albums having long, sloganistic sentences or phrases as titles:

Killing Is My Business... and Business Is Good!
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
So Far, So Good... So What!

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:27 pm 

And after a few decades of avoiding that format, they sort of returned with The Sick, the Dying... and the Dead!

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:32 pm 

Footless wrote:

Epicus is still the greatest epic doom metal album of all time IMO. It shits all over everything they did after it, a lot of which is still very good.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:39 pm 

Why do a lot of metal lyricists abuse thesauruses? I'd argue writing lyrics using "intellectual" vocabulary clashes with the campiness of most metal.

recyclage wrote:

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:53 pm 

Why do a lot of metal lyricists abuse thesauruses? I'd argue writing lyrics using "intellectual" vocabulary clashes with the campiness of most metal.

Doesn't it rather contribute to the campiness, nerdiness and other such attributes? I will have that over Rob Flynn / Max Cavalera styles of writing any day.

LongHairIsSoFuckingCool

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:01 pm 

Footless wrote:

Out of curiosity, what are your exceptions? If you can count these as prog, mine would be Gojira and late Death, although I am quite unfamiliar with the genre as a whole.

These are the two good prog metal albums.

recyclage wrote:

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:51 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Lamp of Thtoth and Arkham Witch both have their sole female member as the drummer.

When you get into bands in genres like gothic metal or folk metal, chances are if there's a female non-vocalist in the band, rather than more than likely being the bassist, she's more than likely the keyboardist, flautist, violinist, etc.

Forgot to mention Acid King is led by vocalist/guitarist Lori S.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:20 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
Cirrus uncinus wrote:

Bass looks more "phallic."
CreepingDeath16 wrote:

Doesn't it rather contribute to the campiness, nerdiness and other such attributes? I will have that over Rob Flynn / Max Cavalera styles of writing any day.

Rob Flynn's lyrics are crap. But I'll endorse Max Cavalera's style. Sometimes, motherfuckers, they don't understand, all my hate, rage, and pain.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:38 pm 

I don't mind more intellectual lyrics, especially when compared to the gore and hate lyrics that were a staple lyrical theme for so long. Plus, I acknowledge that English is a second language for some bands, so it's fine if they don't always get it right.

That said, I dare you to read any of the lyrics to Grieving Age. This takes thesaurus abuse and pounds it into the ground repeatedly, forever.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:06 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
That said, I dare you to read any of the lyrics to Grieving Age. This takes thesaurus abuse and pounds it into the ground repeatedly, forever.

"Outside the pusillanimous half wide open windowpane, A Garrulous merriment gloats, why are you sewing me? Her skin ranted... I'm shrouding, please tolerant my needle scourging..."

Half wide open? Please tolerant? Also: "In Aloof Lantern, Thy Bequeathed a Wailer Quietus..." English isn't my first language but no way in hell does that mean anything.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:34 pm 

thereflectingskin wrote:
CreepingDeath16 wrote:
Cirrus uncinus wrote:

"Just play the one nobody cares about so I can maintain my ego."

No, jk, idk if it's that and I don't really know the cause behind this pattern (or if, like BH said, it truly is a pattern), but I'd bet there's a good chance it has to do with misogyny somehow.

There's this amount of duets of symphonic and gothic metal bands, in which the mainman plays everything, writes everything and probably even has some spare time to play basketball, while some cute-y lady is used to be the vocals and the nice, commercial face of the band (since it also happens that the sole guys in those projects tend to use and abuse of that grumpy, angry, don't fuck with me-type of facial gesture in promotional pictures).

It's surely not the type of misoginy of saying that women are diabolical and should be destroyed for the good of mankind, but it is in the sense of perceiving them pretty much just as the nice and attractive element of the band, that would give the project some slight attention, and as some inferior peer that should not be able to hold any other tasks than the vocals. Kind of like an equilibrium game, for the moment the band is projected to the masses:

"They'll appreciate the lady for her looks and for the voice... so, to be deemed as important as her, I and uniquely I must hold all the other tasks to make the band alive. And to switch the witch out if I find a better looking gal somewhere in the future" - says the guy who holds the tasks of lyrics, songwriting, and of playing the guitars, bass, drums, keyboards, piano, saxophone, theremin, banjo, AK-47 and Nintendo 3DS.

Kinda like in this reasoning.

That's why I like bands like Trocaria, where you have a lady singing and playing all instruments and there's even a song with a guest male vocalist, where she helds all the instrumental tasks.
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Tr ... 3540346476

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:10 pm 

MDL wrote:
There's this amount of duets of symphonic and gothic metal bands, in which the mainman plays everything, writes everything and probably even has some spare time to play basketball, while some cute-y lady is used to be the vocals and the nice, commercial face of the band (since it also happens that the sole guys in those projects tend to use and abuse of that grumpy, angry, don't fuck with me-type of facial gesture in promotional pictures).

It's surely not the type of misoginy of saying that women are diabolical and should be destroyed for the good of mankind, but it is in the sense of perceiving them pretty much just as the nice and attractive element of the band, that would give the project some slight attention, and as some inferior peer that should not be able to hold any other tasks than the vocals. Kind of like an equilibrium game, for the moment the band is projected to the masses:

"They'll appreciate the lady for her looks and for the voice... so, to be deemed as important as her, I and uniquely I must hold all the other tasks to make the band alive. And to switch the witch out if I find a better looking gal somewhere in the future" - says the guy who holds the tasks of lyrics, songwriting, and of playing the guitars, bass, drums, keyboards, piano, saxophone, theremin, banjo, AK-47 and Nintendo 3DS.

Kinda like in this reasoning.

That's why I like bands like Trocaria, where you have a lady singing and playing all instruments and there's even a song with a guest male vocalist, where she helds all the instrumental tasks.
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Tr ... 3540346476

Have you heard White Crone? More heavy metal than gothic metal, but it's a solo project by Lisa Mann, a gal on the older side but surprisingly has little experience being in metal bands (surprising mainly because she's really fucking good at making metal :lol:), judging by her artist page on MA, anyway. In White Crone Lisa handles all the vocals, guitars, and bass except for a few guest spots on guitars, and she has a session drummer as well a a guest spot from Vinnie Appice. Other than a venom cover, she does all the songwriting. She has a very powerful deep voice (I actually suspect her being older helps her here) and writes very good riffs and solos. Definitely check em out if you haven't already. She also recently became the new lead singer for Splintered Throne, and while good, I really wish she'd focus on more White Crone instead, lol.

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/White_Crone/3540464053

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:16 am 

MikeyC wrote:

I've reviewed these guys. The funniest thing to me was they could actually make pretty bruising doom/death if they kept those songs to comfortable lengths. The lyrics would not be much in the way then because you wouldn't make them out anyway. But they stretch these songs out so unbearably lol.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next