2 - Power Of The Triforce
3 - Kingdom Of Steel
4 - Burning Heart
5 - Space Marine Corp
6 - Prelude To Darkness
7 - Killer Queen
8 - Doomsday Party
9 - Pixel Prison
10 - Wildest Dreams (Dragonforce's Version) (Taylor's Version) (CD Bonus Track)
11 - Astro Warrior Anthem (feat. Matt Heafy and Nita Strauss) (Bonus Track)
12 - Burning Heart (feat. Alissa White-Gluz) (Bonus Track)
13 - Doomsday Party (feat. Elize Ryd) (Bonus Track)
14 - Power of the Triforce (instrumental version) (Bonus Track)

Astro Warrior Anthem is probably the most Dragonforce-sounding song so far. Doomsday Party is pretty cheesy, but I like it. My favorite track so far is Wildest Dreams, but Space Marine Corp sounds promising.

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:36 pm 

ordered blindly on vinyl, XXIth c consuming

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:38 pm 

Didn't like the first couple singles (I especially disliked "Doomsday Party" - awful fucking song). "Astro Warrior Anthem" is indeed very very Them™ and it's fun. I haven't even bothered listening to the Taylor Swift cover because... well, I'll be blunt here: I just don't want to.

We'll see how the album is. I'm worried about it being another "Reach Into Infinity"... or them going too far into the jokey meme side of power metal (do not become another Victorius, DF!). It's fine to have a sense of humor (and they've always been a bit tongue-in-cheek) but goddammit I have limits, lol.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:05 pm 

Dragonforce covering Taytay wasn't something I had in my 2024 list, but it happened.

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:17 pm 

yes they're bordeline, I just discovered them while getting out of thrash-death-grind by my friend's tastes, it's just limit to me but still ok & I can go to fun listening them. Dion's cover was good because I knew it, wish it or not, the one by Swift can't touch me that far so it's not so bad this one isn't on the LP (and it's a single one, no fear for too much fillers)

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:02 pm 

I'm kind of surprised to see it took this long for someone to bring up the album. It was announced as far back as October of last year. Don't get me wrong, I don't exactly picture the MA users as DragonForce fans, but at the same time it only takes one person to bring up the topic. I myself only found out about it because YouTube had recommended a music video for one of their singles. I do get some enjoyment from their pre-Extreme Power Metal releases, but the newer stuff turns me off.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:03 pm 

The first two singles were so depressingly bad and phoned in. They really did used to be a good band on the first few albums anyway...

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:17 pm 

Another band that totally lost me when they changed vocalists.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:38 pm 

They've definitely taken a downturn since losing ZP, but I've kept semi-regular tabs on them since and they're still largely getting the job done. Then again, I'm pretty amenable to what Victorius has been doing lately so my tolerance for overt goofiness might be higher than most. They'll never top their first three albums absent getting ZP back, but they've been fairly consistent in the years since.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

DarkSkiesGreyWaters
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:08 am 

I can't even remember the last time I thought about Dragonforce, let alone listened to them.

Were they always this goofy and cheeseball or have they doubled/tripled down over the years?

LtLemonade
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:56 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
They've definitely taken a downturn since losing ZP, but I've kept semi-regular tabs on them since and they're still largely getting the job done. Then again, I'm pretty amenable to what Victorius has been doing lately so my tolerance for overt goofiness might be higher than most. They'll never top their first three albums absent getting ZP back, but they've been fairly consistent in the years since.

Marc is a good singer, even if he's not ZP. Victorius has been pretty bad ever since they started chasing meme metal, which is something I'm hoping that Dragonforce doesn't try to do.

Also, do you plan to review Clear Cold Beyond by Sonata Arctica? I haven't had the chance to listen to it yet.

LtLemonade
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:58 am 

Empyreal wrote:
The first two singles were so depressingly bad and phoned in. They really did used to be a good band on the first few albums anyway...

Listen to Astro Warrior Anthem. It's like if OGAP and Revolution Deathsquad were on Ultra Beat down.

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:44 am 

LtLemonade wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Listen to Astro Warrior Anthem. It's like if OGAP and Revolution Deathsquad were on Ultra Beat down.

That song is so much fun that when I think about it now, I get to forget how mid the whole album is.

It's clear they had fun, there are some fun moments, but overall, eh... still at least better than most of the Napalm Records rank and file, but not by much.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:45 am 

LtLemonade wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

That one was certainly better... I'll try the album later and hopefully more of it is like that.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:04 pm 

There are some solid tracks here but holy shit, Space Marine Corp is one of the most cringey pieces of fucking garbage I have ever heard in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBf-Nwhm3KQ

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:18 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
There are some solid tracks here but holy shit, Space Marine Corp is one of the most cringey pieces of fucking garbage I have ever heard in my life.

It causes me an undue level of annoyance that they spelled it "corp" instead of the correct "corps" lol

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:16 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

Holy shit, that was fucking awful. I lasted 2 minutes, what a terrible song.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:34 pm 

Wow, they really put a shitty ballad as track 3, huh.

"Burning Heart" and "Space Marine Corp" are both trying to do some new stuff for them but the problem is it's just kind of awkward and bad. Sort of a rock and a hard place thing.

OK, wait, just hit the spoken-sung army chant part of "Space Marine Corp" - holy fuck that's bad.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:04 pm 

I'm surprised with the overall negative tone that this thread has regarding Marc Hudson and the material the band has been releasing since the departure of ZP. To be honest, the band had already been losing speed before ZP left. Ultra Beatdown was a very average album, and while I'm not a big fan of the first three albums with Hudson, Extreme Power Metal is a truly solid album! The songwriting is on point, it's fun, entertaining, uplifting power metal with a touch of humor and geek culture, and it has a lot more variations in tempos and relies much less on flashy guitar solos, and has way more hooks, good catchy choruses, etc. etc. etc. Overall, Extreme Power Metal is a much more mature album and shows that these guys have quite a few tools in their toolbox. And I mean... how could anyone blame Hudson for the quality (or lack thereof) in the music... it's not like he or ZP composed anything.

Anyway. This new album is a bit cheesy for sure and it has weaker moments, but so far the first three songs are ranging from great to decent. Nothing terrible here. But maybe Doomsday Party is terrible. I'll tell you when I get there :P

Edit: Yeah, the Space Marine Corp song is trying something different, but it's awkward and doesn't land well.

I don't dislike Doomsday Party. It's supposed to be a bit of a goofy rock anthem, and it works in that regard.

Last edited by HeavenDuff on Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:08 pm 

Extreme Power Metal was a good album since it recalled the older albums a lot more. This one seems to be trying some stuff but just not pulling it off well, and something about songs like "Power of the Triforce" and "Kingdom of Steel" just feels so undercooked and weak. Dunno - just the melodies, everything, feel a little rote.

KeeperOfTheMissingLink
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:31 pm 

I can see why people don't like Doomsday Party, but man, I love Power of the Triforce. I listened to it multiple times in a row when it first released. I love that chorus and the infectious guitar melodies with just a pinch of the flash you would normally find in some of their longer songs. It even inspired me to start playing Twilight Princess, which is saying something as I've mostly outgrown video games.

Color me confused, but I don't know exactly what people feel like that song is missing.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:35 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

I haven't taken the full plunge with the album as of yet, planning to do it soon, but I listened to this song and it took a massive nosedive when they threw in that marine chat section. The most ridiculous moments on Alestorm's latter day albums can't touch how cringe that was, though apart from the overuse of gang vocals I was generally digging the rest of the song.

LtLemonade wrote:
Marc is a good singer, even if he's not ZP. Victorius has been pretty bad ever since they started chasing meme metal, which is something I'm hoping that Dragonforce doesn't try to do.

Also, do you plan to review Clear Cold Beyond by Sonata Arctica? I haven't had the chance to listen to it yet.

I don't have much of an issue with Marc's vocals per say, in fact, I was planning on giving his solo album a fairly glowing review soon. My gripe is more that Dragonforce dialed things back at the same time they took him on as ZP's replacement, though I will admit that I have a nostalgic attachment to ZP that goes all the way back to 2001 when I first heard the DragonHeart demo on mp3.com (yeah, I've been a Dragonforce apologist for over 20 years now lol).

I was planning on hitting the new Sonata Arctica pretty soon as well, it's basically on par with Reckoning Night in terms of quality and is musically quite similar to Silence, especially the first half. I had a feeling since hearing "First In Line" when it dropped on YouTube that they were turning the clock back about 20 years, and I was ecstatic when that was confirmed. Now all I need is for Edguy to reform and take a stab at recapturing their pre-Hellfire Club sound and I'll be stoked.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:42 pm 

KeeperOfTheMissingLink wrote:
Color me confused, but I don't know exactly what people feel like that song is missing.

Yeah, I'm with you on this one.

But what I'm gathering from most of the posts in the thread, is that the people who hate it are people who don't like DragonForce or haven't liked them in ages so it's like... does it really matter?

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:45 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
"Burning Heart" and "Space Marine Corp" are both trying to do some new stuff for them but the problem is it's just kind of awkward and bad. Sort of a rock and a hard place thing.

OK, wait, just hit the spoken-sung army chant part of "Space Marine Corp" - holy fuck that's bad.

:lol: Honestly I'm confused as to who the supposed audience is for what they're peddling here. Some intersection of power metal, tween pop, and delayed-adulthood Disney Channel fans.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:47 pm 

Well, I can certainly say I enjoyed the songs "Astro Warrior Anthem", "Killer Queen" and "Pixel Prison"... probably because those are the most classically DragonForce songs on the album. "Burning Heart" is alright. The T. Swift cover certainly exists (but their power metalized take on "My Heart Will Go On" is better). Undercooked is a good way to describe "Power of the Triforce" - neither the worst nor best thing I've heard from them but pretty in one ear and out the other.

"Space Marine Corp"... hoo boy, yeah, that's as bad as everyone says. The chanting part was almost physically painful to listen to. I still think "Doomsday Party" is awful. I think both these songs are strong contenders for 'worst DF song ever' but I can't decide which one wins that glorious title.

Overall, a mixed bag. It's definitely disappointing in comparison to "Extreme Power Metal"... as well as Marc Hudson's solo album "Starbound Stories".

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:50 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

:lol: Honestly I'm confused as to who the supposed audience is for what they're peddling here. Some intersection of power metal, tween pop, and delayed-adulthood Disney Channel fans.

That's what I've been thinking about the whole time I was listening. Sonic Firestorm was my second metal album ever - I still think it's great. I liked some songs off the first two Hudson albums and thought Extreme Power Metal was a good album too. But yeah the whole thing with this band is so goofy... I'm going to do a review about it eventually, just what the hell the audience is supposed to be anymore, etc.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:10 pm 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
Overall, a mixed bag. It's definitely disappointing in comparison to "Extreme Power Metal"... as well as Marc Hudson's solo album "Starbound Stories".

Meh, I prefer DragonForce taking creative risks on Warp Speed Warriors over Hudson going all DragonForce Lite on his solo album.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:53 pm 

I'm going to give it a second listen soon, but on the first listen my thoughts are somewhat polarized. I'm not going to say it's their most experimental record, because I think Reaching Into Infinity was also experimental but in a different way (with harsher vocals/more brutal parts). I liked some songs a lot, and nothing was outright bad other than that strange part in Space Marine Corp. This is another instance of a band that might be doing good things, but it not necessarily being what I want out of them. I think it will be a grower once I get past the mental block of wanting it to be fast all the time (and to be fair, the Marc albums already were suggesting they would slow down eventually).

This ties in with the discussion of the singers and eras but I really thought they found their sound on the first two Marc albums. They compacted their classic sound into something more palatable. Instead of a 3-minute solo section, they'd do a 1-minute one. There was more mid-paced stuff without resorting to outright ballads to achieve it (Cry Thunder and Three Hammers). I understand the decision to pull back even further - these guys need stuff they can still play for 90 minutes as they get older - but it doesn't necessarily mean I have to like it.

I definitely prefer the ZP era, but I view this more like Savatage or even Helloween, where a band had multiple great singers that each represented a different chapter of the band. We can argue over which one is better, but in these cases, I find each era integral to the band's catalogue.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:49 pm 

To be honest, this kind of disney cartoon metal was never really my thing but...I've always had a love-hate kind of relationship with this band. I admire the heck out of the technical skills of the guitarists. It's fun to listen to them shred and go off, but beyond that, it's also not really my first go-to for metal enjoyment, so to speak. I can handle a track or two before it gets old. I listened to three of the above. They're all good, awesome shred metal, but really... I think if I was still like 11 or 12 years old, this would quite honestly be my favorite band. Now it's just like- It makes me want to dig out my old Yngwie Malmsteen albums and listen to them instead.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:49 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
LycanthropeMoon wrote:

Meh, I prefer DragonForce taking creative risks on Warp Speed Warriors over Hudson going all DragonForce Lite on his solo album.

I'm all for power metal bands taking risks and trying new things (I like post-"Reckoning Night" Sonata Arctica for the most part as an example... and I like some of the weirder stuff Blind Guardian did after "Nightfall in Middle Earth") - I just think the risks on this particular album didn't pay off very well.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:58 pm 

This album seems to be in two halves instead of an integrated whole, which is my main issue with it. I thought Extreme Power Metal was more consistent at least.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:52 pm 

Space Marine Corp? A 40k song? Just read the lyrics and yep, a total Warhammer 40k cut. I will have to listen to it based on that alone.

Anyway, it seems like they have dove headfirst into everything over the top silly about their music.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:39 pm 

Having finally gotten around to listening to the entire album a couple of times, it's a generally solid album with a few glaring flaws, most of them isolated experimental elements that don't really work well. As a whole package, it's roughly in the same league as The Power Within, which is still my least favorite Dragonforce LP, though it reaches that rank less by being a generally safe, watered down version of their early stuff and more so because it's a mix of stuff that is almost purely in the older style and a few quirky moments that are out of place.

The opener "Astro Warrior Anthem" is an absolute masterpiece, possibly the best song I've heard out of them since the ZP days. "Burning Heart", "The Killer Queen" and "Pixel Prison" are also very well done and showcase this band's ability to shred with the best of them. Other shorter songs like "Power Of The Triforce" and the ballad "Kingdom Of Steel" are generally solid, though I think they should have put the latter a little bit later in the track-listing as it interrupts the flow of things. "Doomsday Party" and the Taylor Swift cover are not terrible, but are a little by the numbers, and while I'm all for power metal bands exploring Warhammer 40k in their lyrics, Wind Rose did it far better than "Space Marine Corp", which is way too corny even for a staunch power metal apologist like me.

Honestly, I think Marc Hudson's solo album was slightly better than this.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

ChoujuX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:39 am 

Pretty solid, but definitely not one of their better albums. The first three and The Power Within will likely forever be their best work.

Apparently I'm alone in loving (most of) "Space Marine Corp." Could do without the call-and-response part but otherwise it's probably one of the tracks I've played the most so far.

7stringbuttplug
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:24 pm 

I'm going to go out and embarrass myself and admit Space Marine Corp was the only one I liked. Something about this band fully embracing how corny they are these days just has a charm for me. That said this band CAN do more serious stuff like Black Fire, Soldiers of the Wasteland and Inside the Winter Storm.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:33 pm 

This is a weird one.

I'd heard the first two DragonForce albums and liked the second more, but neither truly grabbed me or made me want to explore further. Power metal isn't my preferred genre anyway. I listened to WSW on a whim.

And I find myself enjoying most of it. I like the cover song. I like the Elize from Amaranthe appearance. And what I gather are the typical DF songs like Killer Queen are quite fun.

democracyiscringe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:01 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Seems like they're going for that genre dudes who discovered Dio through Jack Black movies (you know, "dude! Metal! METAL! Epic! Chuck Norris! METAL!"), aspiring twitch streamers and "haha, the eighties, am I right?" synthwave kids.
They weren't exactly striking the iron while it was hot with that "aesthetic" in 2019, let alone this year. Surreal to remember how big this band used to be in the 00s.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:08 pm 

The aesthetic of Extreme Power Metal was so bad that it was surprising that a lot of those songs were so good. They kept it simple and fun. The new one is just all over the place. I played Sonic Firestorm and the new one today and it's like night and day really.

Playing some of the 2019 album again and I really do like this. Something in the newer album is so completely awful and disgusting to me. Just repugnant.

Reply to topic