Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:18 am 

With all the album ranking threads going around, I figured I'd start on with one of the biggest names in the genre that is now "retired" (who knows for sure. There could always be reunions, despite what anyone says).

Anyway, instead of just listing your favourites and reasons why, I thought I would introduce a kind of mini-poll, where I will update this main post with the standings from each user's post (in other words, don't PM me your list). There are 12 Slayer full lengths, so I have to amend the point system BastardHead uses slightly to the following:

1 = 30 points
2 = 25 points
3 = 20 points
4 = 18 points
5 = 15 points
6 = 12 points
7 = 10 points
8 = 8 points
9 = 6 points
10 = 4 points
11 = 2 point
12 = 1 point

Question I have for the participants: Should I include ballots which do not rank all 12 albums? Like, if you only like 4 Slayer albums, should that ballot still be included? I am leaning toward yes, as I did with the Non-Archives albums of 2020 poll in The Tavern.

To save the first post from getting confusing with mentioning the albums twice, I will save my own vote for a little bit. I have an idea that Reign In Blood will end up at #1, but interested to see how the rest shakes out.

CURRENT STANDINGS:
Spoiler: show
1. Reign In Blood - 923
2. South Of Heaven -805
3. Hell Awaits - 757
4. Seasons In The Abyss - 754
5. Show No Mercy - 716
6. Divine Intervention - 344
7. Christ Illusion - 276
8. World Painted Blood - 233
9. Undisputed Attitude - 222
10. God Hates Us All - 192
11. Diabolus In Musica - 120
12. Repentless - 98

Last edited by jimbies on Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:52 am, edited 9 times in total.
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:31 am 

Can we include crucial stuff like Haunting the Chapel? What about live albums? Undisputed Attitude?

https://soundcloud.com/user-800688188 - Eerie Evaluation Episode 1: Discussing Cold Lake/Vanity/Nemesis era Celtic Frost...

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:53 am 

jimbies wrote:
Question I have for the participants: Should I include ballots which do not rank all 12 albums? Like, if you only like 4 Slayer albums, should that ballot still be included? I am leaning toward yes, as I did with the Non-Archives albums of 2020 poll in The Tavern.

I think you should because I definitely can't rate them all. I can only remember half of them (the ones I like).

1 = Reign in Blood
2 = South of Heaven
3 = Seasons in the Abyss
4 = Christ Illusion
5 = Hell Awaits
666 = Show No Mercy

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:09 am 

EDIT: Updated following clarification on Haunting the Chapel

01 South of Heaven
A nice mix of thrash and more moderately paced songs, all wrapped up in a gloomy atmosphere.

02 Seasons in the Abyss
Bit of an inferior retread of SoH for me, but still delivers the goods (and has some great solos). The slower songs still haven't won me over completely though.

03 Reign in Blood
Succint thrash with some killer riffs.

04 Hell Awaits
Interesting songwriting and an effective, hellish atmosphere.

05 Show No Mercy
Good, NWOBHM infused debut. Some classic tracks as well as loads of great deep cuts.

06 World Painted Blood
The most consistent album post Seasons.

07 Christ Illusion
Solid album, some cool tracks, including "Flesh Storm", which is probably my favourite post 1990 Slayer song.

08 Divine Intervention
I find a few of the songs quite forgettable, but still has its fair share of good material.

09 Diabolus in Musica
Different, doesn't always hit the mark but some decent ideas and songs.

10 God Hates Us All
Starts really well (first 3 proper songs would've made a great little EP), but then becomes very patchy.

11 Repentless
2-3 songs that are OK, but mostly crap.

12 Undisputed Attitude
Don't care about this at all.

Last edited by lordcatfish on Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:43 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
Can we include crucial stuff like Haunting the Chapel? What about live albums? Undisputed Attitude?

In keeping with the rules of what M-A considers a "Main" album, Haunting The Chapel and Decade are not eligible, but Undisputed Attitude is.

Pincushion
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:49 pm 

1. Hell Awaits
2. Reign in Blood
3. South of Heaven
4. Show No Mercy
5. Seasons in the Abyss
6. Christ Illusion
7. Divine Intervention
8. God Hates Us All
9. World Painted Blood
10. Undisputed Attitude
11. Repentless
12. Diabolus in Musica

Hell Awaits is one of my favorite metal albums of all time, so that's an easy #1 pick. The second half of the list is a meh-fest, but a couple hold nostalgic value for me.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:14 pm 

1. Reign in Blood
Anybody who dismisses this album for how short it is between the opener and closer are missing the point. Still a top 5 album for me, period, and if that mosh riff in "Angel of Death" doesn't grab you then check your pulse.

2. Seasons in the Abyss
Probably their most solid release start to finish, honestly, but the weaker songs lack the brevity of my #1 pick. Ask me a decade ago and I'd put this at #1 without question.

3. South of Heaven
This one had to grow on me during my formative years, honestly, and I still find the production too "clean," per se.

4. Show No Mercy
TORMENTOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRR

5. Hell Awaits
Solid album that cemented the direction they'd take for the next decade, but I always HAAAATED the guitar tone.

6/7. Christ Illusion/World Painted Blood
Some returns to form after the way they closed the 90s and opened the 00s, but lousy production and retread songwriting hampers them. Interchangeable, in my eyes, but the tracks "World Painted Blood" and "Flesh Storm" have some of the most SLAYER-y riffs ever in them.

8. Undisputed Attitude
Damn do I love a few of these covers, some even more than the originals.

9. God Hates Us All
A handful of decent tunes, shyte production, mostly forgettable.

10. Divine Intervention
I like "Dittohead."

11. Repentless
Not as awful as everybody says, but completely forgettable.

12. Diabolous in Musica
Fuck outta here.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:22 pm 

1. Reign In Blood
2. Seasons In The Abyss
3. South Of Heaven
4. Hell Awaits
5. Show No Mercy
6. Divine Intervention
7. Undisputed Attitude
8. God Hates Us All
9. Diabolus In Musica
10. Repentless
11. World Painted Blood
12. Christ Illusion

1, 6 & 7 are the only ones firm on my list. The others could shift around a bit. 8 to 12 could disappear from my collection and I probably wouldn't even notice they were gone.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:23 pm 

1. Reign in Blood
2. Seasons in the Abyss
3. Christ Illusion
4. South of Heaven
5. God Hates Us All
6. World Painted Blood
7. Undisputed Attitute
8. Diabolus in Musica
9. Repentless
10. Hell Awaits
11. Divine Intervention
12. Show No Mercy

I don't have meticulous reasons why. That's just how it comes out in my album rankings. I haven't listened to some of those in a while.

Clearly I'm not a fan of of the two early proto-Slayer albums, then they've been kinda hit or miss since then.

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:30 pm 

1. Reign In Blood - The idea that this is 2 classics with a ton of filler is tripe. This is pure energy and rage for 28 minutes. All time classic.
2. South of Heaven - Slowed it down and still evil and heavy as fuck. My favorite dumming performance on a Slayer record. All time classic.
3. Hell Awaits - More progressive and intricate Slayer. All time classic.
4. Seasons In The Abyss - Perhaps the culmination of Slayer until that point. Some total classics. Great over all but not quite to the level of 1-3.
5. Divine Intervention - IMO the only Bostaph era album you need. Angry as fuck! Great but not a classic.
6. Show No Mercy - The start of it all. Some classics and a different tone than later as they were not a pure thrash at this point, a lot of influences showing. Great debut but they would get better.
7. World Painted Blood - A good record but not great. Shitty production. An OK album.
8. Christ Illusion - Lombardo's return. Blast beats on a Slayer record! But maybe 3 good songs. A mediocre album.
9. Repentless - Mediocre, nothing stand out.
10. Diabous In Musica - the opener and closer are great, but the rest...a lot of shit. Stain of Mind sounds like Manson fronting Slipknot and not in a good way. Nu-Slayer. Point and Bitter Peace are sweet though.
11. God Hates Us All - More Slayer meets Slipknot riffs I guess. A lot of chug riffs and lame lyrics. 3 good songs, not a single great song and a lot of tripe. more Nu-Slayer.
12. Undisputed Attitude - Covers, don't really consider this a "Slayer" record. Meh, I'll pass.

Raped Christ
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:26 pm 

1. Reign In Blood - not for everyone, but if it's for you, it's an album for ages.
2. Show No Mercy - a 10/10 debut album.
3. Hell Awaits - my almost introduction to them, an acquired taste like Reign only harder to appreciate probably, extremely creepy.
4. Seasons In The Abyss - between this and South Of Heaven, I listen to this more often.
5. South Of Heaven - at its best it gets better than Seasons, but some parts bring it down a bit IMO. Maybe I'm still on my way there like I was with Hell Await for years.
6. Undisputed Attitude - my introduction to them. Probably my favorite cover album ever.
7. Divine Intervention - I really like some songs, don't like the production. I can more or less sit through it in entirety.
8. World Painted Blood - kinda like Divine Intervention, only I'd skip a few tracks.
8. Christ Illusion - cool production, a like a few songs, but I never listen to it in entirety.
9. God Hates Us All - in a Hatebreed way it works when I'm doing stuff like renovations.
10. Diabolus In Musica - listened to it the other day, it's ruined by a few completely unnecessary Korn-isms, they didn't know what they were doing on this album and deserve the shit they've got for it IMO.
11. Repentless - I heard it when it came out and never revisited actually.

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:30 pm 

1. South of Heaven - This was the moment when Slayer proved that they weren't just a one trick pony and cemented their status as one of metal's greatest bands. Some of Dave Lombardo's best drumming is on display here.
2. Reign In Blood - Just pure sonic rage that never lets up.
3. Hell Awaits - Slayer at their most progressive. I do wish they persisted with this direction a little bit more than they did.
4. Seasons In The Abyss - The last essential Slayer album. The title track alone makes this one worth having.
5. Divine Intervention - Production hurts this one but this was my first Slayer album so I'll always have a soft spot for it.
6. World Painted Blood - Like Divine Intervention, this suffers from poor production but this is otherwise a very solid effort.
7. Show No Mercy - A fun listen but still a bit rough around the edges. Fight Till Death and Crionics are both underrated gems.
8. Christ Illusion - Some good stuff on here and even a few new things for the band (blastbeats!) but a lot of mediocrity too.
9. Undisputed Attitude - Fairly decent renditions of old-school hardcore but the sole original song puts me to sleep.
10. Diabolus In Musica - Could actually have been a half decent album if the worst songs (Death's Head, Stain of Mind, Love To Hate) were dropped and one of the bonus tracks (Unguarded Instinct) was added instead.
11. Repentless - Arguably the best production of their post-Seasons albums but only 2-3 songs are worth listening to.
12. God Hates Us All - Aside from the first two songs, this album is a complete waste of time.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:56 pm 

Alright, then:

1. Reign in Blood - read my review if you want my full thoughts on the matter.
2. Hell Awaits - Sinister, spooky, creepy terrifying. Slayer accidentally stumble on death metal.
3. South of Heaven - ominous onslaught and one of the most daringly atmospheric thrash metal albums.
4. Show No Mercy - this could have been higher, but today I'm just feeling SoH more today.
5. Seasons in the Abyss - played it last week and I was surprised at how well the whole thing stood up against a lot of its critics. Still great!
6. Divine Intervention - very, very respectable. The last decent Slayer album. Most every other thrash band had shat the bed by this point, so credit where it's due.
7. Undisputed Attitude - not bad, in honesty, quite fun... I dunno, just listen to the actual bands rather than the covers. Can't really remember the new song.
[...]
It's hard to order the others because they're all some degree of worthless.
8. God Hates Us All - it's shit and chatting up the nu metal zeitgeist, at least it makes me laugh.
9. Christ Illusion - holy fuck, it's the most boring Slayer album ever. I remember being depressed by this when I was 15.
10. World Painted Blood - awful production, meaningless crap... at least Psychopathy Red is decent.
11. Repentless - Who the fuck fucking cares? The title-track is okay, the production is very "un Slayer", Gary Holt isn't actually as good a fit as it might seem... but his contributions are minimal.
12. Diabolus in Musica - maybe it's not the worst, but to go from being good to nu metal-esque garbage in four years is embarrassing.

https://soundcloud.com/user-800688188 - Eerie Evaluation Episode 1: Discussing Cold Lake/Vanity/Nemesis era Celtic Frost...

Reid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:57 pm 

1. South of Heaven
One of the best albums of all time. The thrash side of Slayer was at its peak, but they also showcase some more unexpected musical directions coming off of Reign in Blood. Amazingly gloomy atmosphere, and somehow the Judas Priest cover fits right in??

2. Show No Mercy
I appreciate this album more and more for being such an oddball in their discography, but an extremely well done one at that. It's a melting pot of Priest, Maiden, and Venom that nonetheless rises above the mere sum of those influences and kind of represents a road not taken in their sound. It's one I come back to often.

3. Reign in Blood
What else is there to say? Just a stone-cold classic.

4. Hell Awaits
This was my favorite Slayer album in high school, and while I've listened to it less in recent years, it's still a massive release that has such a thick, claustrophobic, and hellish atmosphere. Lacks a bit of the energy found on SNM, but still an essential album.

5. Seasons in the Abyss
One of those album that maybe suffers from "sounds too much like a greatest hits album" syndrome, in that it has less of its own identity compared to... well, any of the previous four albums. Still, Dead Skin Mask and the title track are the unquestionable high points of the album, and represent the perfection of the vibe Slayer were going for on the more involved slower tracks.

6. Divine Intervention
Recaptures a bit (albeit with a different feel) of the gloomy atmosphere they had on South of Heaven, making it feel like more of its own animal than Seasons. Some great tracks on here, with a bit more filler.

7. Undisputed Attitude
It's Slayer doing punk covers. Not adventurous, but it'd be hard for something like this to end up a complete failure.

8. Christ Illusion
There are a few tracks from this album I was really into when I first heard Slayer (2006ish), like Cult, Flesh Storm, and Jihad. The rest is pretty forgettable.

9. World Painted Blood
I was so hyped for this album when it came out-- it was the first release that came out after I became a huge fan of the band, but the reality was so disappointing. Absolutely atrocious production, and the same ratio of good-to-shit as Christ Illusion, only with more cringe (see "Playing With Dolls").

10. God Hates Us All
Maybe a decent song or two, but everything else is bad-to-forgettable.

11. Repentless
See above. Probably the only worthwhile song is the title track.

12. Diabolus in Musica
I have maybe listened to one song from this album one time, but nothing else beyond that. Wasn't compelled to check out the rest.

wraithlike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:58 pm 

1. South of Heaven
2. Reign in Blood
3. Hell Awaits
4. Seasons of the Abyss

can't say I care much for the rest tbh

Slater922
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:27 pm 

Now this is cool. We should use this type of ranking for Iron Maiden or Behemoth. Now onto my list:

BEST: Hell Awaits
2: Reign in Blood
3: South of Heaven
4: Seasons in the Abyss
5: Undisputed Attitude
6: Christ Illusion
7: Show No Mercy
8: Repentless
9: Divine Intervention
10: Diabolus in Musica
11: World Painted Blood
WORST: God Hates Us All

Everything from Divine Intervention and below is mainly forgettable and even poor. Repentless is okay, though I don't play it as often as I want to. Show No Mercy is good, but not as good as their other albums in my honest opinion. Christ Illusion and Undisputed Attitude are pretty underrated, and Seasons in the Abyss and South of Heaven still hold up. Reign in Blood and Hell Awaits are their magnum opus, though I like Hell Awaits a bit better.

Check out my reviews

megadeth93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:42 pm 

BEST: 1 South of heaven
2 Hell awaits
3 Seasons
4 Show no mercy
5 Christ illusion
6 World painted blood
7 Reign in blood

I haven't heard enough of the rest to comment so I hope my votes will still count. My actual top favorites are not on the list: 1 Decade of aggression, 2 Haunting the chapel.

As you can see I'm more of a Heavy Metal and melodic thrash fan - RIB is too extreme for me, lacking sufficient variation. My favorite song is probably the title-track to World painted blood.

Xytras71
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:07 pm 

1. Show No Mercy As I've mentioned in another thread, this my fave Thrash album...by miles. The unbridled enthusiasm on this debut is mind blowing...and not only that, I'd put it in top 10 Metal albums of all times.

2. Reign In Blood Reign in Blood to Show No Mercy is what Clandestine is to Left Hand Path...pick your poison, but its rare that one of my least fave sub genres (Thrash) manages to exude a level of raw emotions that is unmatched in the entire Thrash scene.

3. Hell Awaits Pheeeew, my two fave Slayer songs b2b: a title track and Kill Again...unfortunately the rest of an album doesn't measure up to those...nevertheless still damn good!

4. South Of Heaven A drastic change but it works! And heavy as fuck. More often than not, I'd dismiss it instantly if it was by any other band at a time. But kudos to Slayer for pulling it off effortlessly...a sign of a genius!

5. Season n Abyss OK, this is where the things get weird for me...Not a bad album but a good half of it are fillers imo, I mean I could do without boring Expendable Youth, Hallowed Point, Temptation and Born of Fire. But War Ensemble, Dead Skin Mask and a title track rock with the best of them

6. Diabolus In Musica I may be in minority on this one but I really dig it more than anything they've released after 80s.

7. God Hates Us All It's not as bad as most people make you to believe and certainly better than anything after DIM

8. Divine Intervention By this time I really got tired of Thrash which never been one of my fave subs to begin with. Almost feels like on autopilot trying to recapture the past glory days.

And the rest...I couldn't care less! Much more exciting DM/BM dominated my ears by then .

KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:22 pm 

Divine Intervention truthers unite! For a while I could not get enough of that fucking album (their best album art too, fight me). Still really love it and I used to have this tough internal argument over it or Hell Awaits as the best, but Hell Awaits has simply held up better as I've grown older.

Their discography can be broken into 4 tiers for me. Really the first 4 are the only albums I'd say I love. Seasons, Undisputed, and SNM are okay. As for everything else, well they've got a decent track or two but honestly who gives a shit. They're trash. But it's a clear cointoss between GHUA and DIM for worst. They're on another level of garbage.

1. Hell Awaits
2. Divine Intervention
3. South of Heaven
4. Reign in Blood

5. Seasons in the Abyss
6. Undisputed Attitude
7. Show No Mercy

8. Christ Illusion
9. World Painted Blood
10. Repentless

11. God Hates Us All
12. Diabolus in Musica

Last edited by KrigareTjovane on Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MetlaNZ
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:23 pm 

megadeth93 wrote:
5 Christ illusion
6 World painted blood
7 Reign in blood

Never thought I would see RIB below those stinkers.

"RIB is too extreme for me, lacking sufficient variation".

RIB is the unholy bible for how to play short, hard and fast songs (not tracks), that have nice memorable hooks with subtle nuances and variations. Few bands (including Slayer themselves!) have ever come close to matching it tho, let alone surpassing it.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:42 pm 

1. South Of Heaven
2. Hell Awaits
3. Show No Mercy
4. Seasons In The Abyss
5. Reign In Blood
6. Divine Intervention
7. Undisputed Attitude
8. Diabolus In Musica
9. God Hates Us All
10. Christ Illusion
11. World Painted Blood (This shit sounds like Death Magnetic)
12. Repentless

Definitely a case of diminishing gains post-Seasons

Last FM

Slater922
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:30 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
megadeth93 wrote:
5 Christ illusion
6 World painted blood
7 Reign in blood

RIB is the unholy bible for how to play short, hard and fast songs (not tracks), that have nice memorable hooks with subtle nuances and variations. Few bands (including Slayer themselves!) have ever come close to matching it tho, let alone surpassing it.

My god, he actually thinks World Painted Blood is better than Reign in Blood?! :fuck:

Check out my reviews

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:11 pm 

1. reign in blood; what can I say, it's probably the greatest thrash banger ever. brutal and concise, totally stripped down.
2. show no mercy; amazing debut and quite the oddball in their discography. other bands would dream of having such a top quality album ranked #2.
3. world painted blood, yeah right. to me it's the greatest "non-classic" slayer record ever. I never got why it's so hated. never got the complaints about its production either. fantastic record full of fantastic slayer riffs.
4. south of heaven; a great album and a welcome slowed-down successor to RIB. silent scream is one of my fave slayer songs ever.
5. christ illusion; I really really like the CI - WPB two-punch. this is very much a slayer record and has fewer lows than e.g. SITA. very solid album.
6. seasons in the abyss; this is where the grandeur of the early slayer magic started to slowly wear off. yeah I know, dead skin mask and all, but this is where I first thought, "well, this is not so great". still a good album.
7. divine intervention; this one steadily continues the downward trajectory from SITA. the first slayer record that's really so-so to me. less than a handful of really good tracks in my book.
8. undisputed attitude; probably a love it or hate it release depending on your own personal musical preferences/upbringing. I kinda like it, at least most of the time. tbh it's the one slayer album I can't really rank reliably, so it ended up #8. somewhat middle of the road to me.
9. hell awaits; yeah it's the one classic slayer album that never did anything for me. at all. I've tried to like it so often in more than 20 years, but it doesn't work for me. it's only #9 because everything below this is really really crap.

10. diabolus in musica; this is where the trinity of shit starts. don't know what to say about this turd.
11. god hates us all; trinity of shit pt. II, 'nuff said.
12. repentless; what a shameful and miserable farewell album for such a great, iconic band. it was even more disappointing to me after WPB, which I loved so much.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Demon Fang
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:02 pm 

Choosing the top two is pretty tricky since both #1 and #2 are perfect albums, for obviously different reasons. Anyway...

12. Diabolus in Musica
90s album full of 90sisms. Lame.

11. Repentless
Most mediocre thrash album ever made.

10. Christ Illusion
It's got its moments and some songs have pieces of what made Slayer pop, but it's an otherwise mediocre album.

9. Divine Intervention
Seasons of the Abyss, but without the good songs. It's okay.

8. World Painted Blood
7. Seasons of the Abyss
"War Ensemble" - tip top song to kickstart... a fairly uneven album, mixed between middling thrash and thrash almost as good as the worse of their first four albums. World Painted Blood hasn't got a "War Ensemble" to its name, but it's got the same thing going for it.

6. God Hates Us All
Honestly? The riffs aren't much to speak of, although it's out of the 90s frying pan and into a more thrashy effort with some of Tom's most pissed off vocal performance in a long time. There's just something so fascinating about this album, despite the prior two likely being "objectively" better but I just find this more enjoyable to listen to.

5. Undisputed Attitude
Fuck it, cover a bunch of hardcore - why not? I'm honestly not sure how else to explain that this is cool as shit, especially since everything since isn't even as good as them paying loving tribute to their more punky influences.

4. Hell Awaits
I know I know. Here's the thing - Slayer's at their best when they're riffing. Atmosphere's cool and all, but Haunting the Chapel kinda does it better and it drags just a bit here and there. Still, there's some strong ass riffs here, which is why it is absolutely a classic by all means.

3. Show No Mercy
Doing what Metallica did on Kill 'em All but even moreso, with a more steroided NWOBHM sound and some damn good songs made from those.

2. Reign in Blood
A relentless barrage of thrash. "Angel of Death" and "Raining Blood" are obvious classics, but everything else inbetween are some damn good burger filler that make for an absolutely tasty burger.

1. South of Heaven
The atmosphere of Hell Awaits meets the heaviness of Reign in Blood meets the out and out heavy metal of Show No Mercy to release a slew of songs that are so Slayer. Like a culmination of everything that they'd done up to that point, all refined to a glossy sheen.

jdagger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:17 pm 

1. Reign in Blood
2. Seasons in the Abyss
3. Hell Awaits
4. South of Heaven
5. Show No Mercy
6. Divine Intervention
7. Undisputed Attitude
8. Christ Illusion
9. World Painted Blood
10. Diabolus in Musica
11. Repentless
12. God Hates Us All

My top 4 has shifted over the years but this how I currently rank them. No knock on SNM and I love the album but it's just a hair below those records. 8-12 I haven't listened all that much, so I ranked them based on the number of songs I prefer to listen to from those records.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:48 pm 

I'll finally post mine:

1. Show No Mercy - The debut has always been my favourite since the first time I heard it.
2. Reign In Blood - stone cold classic.
3. Seasons In The Abyss - the first slayer album I ever heard.
4. South Of Heaven - so many classics.
5. God Hates Us All - I Have a soft spot for it. It was the first Slayer album to be released since I became a fan the year before
6. Hell Awaits - I do like it. However, I find it kind of stuck between Show No Mercy's sound and Reign In Blood's sound.
7. Repentless - Ah, fuck it. It has some songs on it I really like.
8. Diabolus In Musica - Love Bitter Peace, Stain of Mind and Screaming From The Sky.
9. World Painted Blood - Bland, but I really like the title track and Hate Worldwide
10. Undisputed Attitude - A couple songs littered throughout that I like
11. Divine Intervention - this one has just never clicked for me, even with repeated listens.
12. Christ Illusion - I honestly can't hum you one song from this, even though I've listened to it around 8 times.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:17 am 

Reign in Blood reigns at the top of my list and is frankly, one of the top five thrash albums EVER!

I'll go with "South of Heaven" as my second. It's a great mix of classic metal mixed with thrash, kinda the best of both worlds.

"Show No Mercy" is great- classic punkish early 80's metal, just loved the attitude and youthful aggression of it- number 3 for me.

"Seasons in the Abyss-" some cool thrash tracks, some cool atmospheric, almost doomish metal tracks, and overall a pretty good album. Like "South of Heaven" maybe not as consistently thrashy as the first three but that doesnt bother me, like "South of Heaven it is consistently METAL through and through. Fourth place.

"Undisputed Attitude" had some absolutely ripping cover tunes- love the Verbal Abuse and Minor Threat stuff especially, and it sounds frickin' killer.

"Hell Awaits" should probably be higher than sixth place. It certainly deserves to be. I dunno, I like it a lot but some of the production values sounded a bit muddy to me. Still an absolutely classic album though.

"Diabolus in Musica" is okay, but it doesnt stack up as much as the first five classics though. Seventh place.

"Divine Intervention"- same, it's decent but not consistent. 8.

"World PAinted Blood"- I kinda gave up on the band by this point, so to be fair, it could actually be as high as 7 or as low as 12.

"God Hates us All" Listened to it once, and was like "meh, this sounds like Slayer allright, but..."

"Christ Illusion" - I forgot all about this album. I couldnt even NAME one song off it. 11.

"Repentless"- same story; never really listened to this album. In one ear out the other.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:34 am 

1. Seasons In The Abyss (the first one I heard, so it sticked)
2. Reign In Blood
3. Divine Intervention
4. South Of Heaven
5. Hell Awaits
6. Show No Mercy
7. Christ Illusion
8. World Painted Blood
9. Repentless
10. God Hates Us All
11. Diabolus In Musica
12. Undisputed Attitude (just because it's a covers album, no amtter how ripping it is)

jugchord07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:02 am 

1. Show No Mercy
2. Seasons in the Abyss
3. Hell Awaits
4. South of Heaven
5. Reign in Blood
6. Christ Illusion

A good portion of the time debuts end up being my favorites and Slayer is not an exception. These are the only albums I return to near enough to give an informed ranking.

Review requests http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=74246

My blog http://foulfeast.blogspot.com

DeadKid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:40 am 

1. Seasons in the Abyss
2. Reign in Blood
3. Show No Mercy
4. Hell Awaits
5. South of Heaven
6. Divine Intervention
7. Undisputed Attitude
8. Christ Illusion
9. Diabolus in Musica
10. Repentless
11. God Hates Us All
12. World Painted Blood

South of Heaven gets off on the wrong foot with me from the get-go. A Slayer album opening with a slow song just seems wrong. Still better than most of what was to come though.

Undisputed Attitude is the last of the band's material that seems worth listening to for me. The rest I wouldn't touch with a bargepole if they didn't have Slayer's name on them. The overly modern production seems like a total mismatch for the band and especially Tom's vocals.

I haven't considered how I'd rate Haunting the Chapel relative to their albums but that's something I should get around to.

Slater922
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:50 am 

Lane wrote:
12. Undisputed Attitude (just because it's a covers album, no amtter how ripping it is)

Just because it's a cover album doesn't mean it's automatically bad. A lot of the covers on that album like I Wanna Be Your God are actually really good.

Check out my reviews

megadeth93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:56 am 

Slater922 wrote:
MetlaNZ wrote:
megadeth93 wrote:
5 Christ illusion
6 World painted blood
7 Reign in blood

My god, he actually thinks World Painted Blood is better than Reign in Blood?! :fuck:

Ok, how to explain this? it looks like I may become another Ultraboris with respect to his MOP review, but with me it will be RIB.

I guess I didn't take rankings too seriously as in 7 versus 6 or 5 versus 4, but a 2 is way above a 7. But first of all Hell Awaits I far prefer over RIB because songs are longer, there are far more interesting tempo changes and new riffs; the songs have more melody and room to breathe. I can't see RIB as an improvement over that.

Now the controversial part, WPB versus RIB? Let me say my high ranking for WIB is in large part due to the magnificence and excellence of the WPB title-track. The verse sections are beyond catchy and this is the element I like best about Slayer. I will even pick the song WPB over the song AOD as I personally find the lyrics to AOD unsettling and it ruins the song for me.

Remember that these are just preferences, I'm not saying one is "better" than the other in any objective sense.

As an example of the thrash I like most it would be Exodus - Impact is Immanent album.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:33 pm 

1. Reign In Blood (obvious)

2. Divine Intervention (criminally underrated, absolutely visceral)

3. Hell Awaits

4. Seasons In The Abyss (stuff like “Skeletons Of Society” and “Dead Skin Mask” drag this down quite a bit)

5. Undisputed Attitude (I’m sure this is disagreeable to many, but there is just palpable violent energy here, the songs are mostly punk classics which I rarely tire of, and “Gemini” deserves much more respect)

6. Show No Mercy (good, but very, very overrated)

7. South Of Heaven (too much plodding mid paced stuff)

8. God Hates Us All (just dumb, neandrathal fun and nothing more)

9. Christ Illusion (mostly forgettable)

10. World Painted Blood (only one truly good song here in “Psychopathy Red”, and some decent bits here and there that grab me on the rare occasion I put this on, but as a whole album it’s nearly entirely forgettable)

11. Diabolus In Musica (their foray into nu metal yielded mostly garbage, “Bitter Piece” and “Scrum” are decent though)

12. Repentless (complete trash)

This was harder to do than I imagined.

Fuck Tom Araya.
Obliteration

chuggingpus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:49 pm 

I only consider albums with Lombardo for this poll. Diabolus and God Hates are absolute trash pandering to trends anyhow and don’t deserve the Slayer name.

1. Hell Awaits. Haunting The Chapel was my introduction to Slayer but this was their first full length they released when I had become a fan. Both haunting the chapel and Hell Awaits changed the entire fabric of heavy metal and soon ushered in the death metal sound.

2. Reign In Blood. When this album came out, I remember meeting random burn out kids and it was a litmus test to ask “what do you think of reign in blood?” If you said anything but awesome, amazing or Slayer! you were likely to get into a fist fight.

3. Show No Mercy. Totally memorable songs, a marriage of hardcore punk and the better, heavier half of the NWOBHM and Mercyful Fate influence.

4. Seasons In The Abyss. This one has more boring/dragging parts than South Of Heaven, but the presence of Hallowed Point and War Ensemble puts this over South Of Heaven.

5. South Of Heaven. See above, quality Slayer with a couple less interesting moments.

6. Christ Illusion. Surprised this was as good as it was after the total fudge fests that were Diabolus and God Hates Us All. Slayer taking notes from Machine Head and other watered down 90’s dreck was a real surprise considering they had already solidified themselves as the influencers of so many bands.

7. World Painted Blood. Not too bad, recording is ruined by the modern loudness wars but the songs here are all fine.

8. Divine Intervention. No Lombardo but there were good songs here. This and the cover album were great fun but still missing Lombardo’s signature playing style which effected the song writing.

Discordant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:13 pm 

Some of the greatest thrash-songs ever, but never really that consistent even in their classic albums where the best and worst tracks can be worlds apart IMO...

1. Seasons In The Abyss
2. Show No Mercy
3. Reign In Blood
4. Hell Awaits
5. South Of Heaven

6. God Hates Us All
7. Christ Illusion
8. Divine Intervention
9. World Painted Blood
10. Repentless
11. Diabolus In Musica
12. Undisputed Attitude

One thing about Slayer, they NEVER had a bad opening track. Always started with a killer!

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:39 pm 

Discordant wrote:
One thing about Slayer, they NEVER had a bad opening track. Always started with a killer!

Agreed. Even on the weaker albums. A song like "Bitter Peace" is a great opener.

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:55 am 

1. Show No Mercy
2. Reign in Blood
3. Hell Awaits
4. South of Heaven
5. Seasons in the Abyss
6. Divine Intervention
7. God Hates Us All
8. Diabolus in Musica
9. Repentless
10. Christ Illusion
11. World Painted Blood
12. Undisputed Attitude

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:44 am 

I always rate Slayer's albums and eras based on whether Kerry King was wearing shinpads or not. Leather jumpsuit + shinpads = classic Slayer - perfect attitude, writing, production, and song speed.
Late 80s with shinpads but leather jumpsuit is replaced with t-shirts = still okay but their writing and testosterone is on the decline, more slow songs, production is cleaning up a bit.
On a side note, I put Haunting the Chapel above everything here - that is Slayer at a time where they're untouchable.

1. Hell Awaits
2. Show No Mercy
3. Reign in Blood
4. God Hates Us All
5. Undisputed Attitude
6. Seasons in the Abyss
7. South of Heaven
8. Christ Illusion
9. Diabolus in Musica
10. Divine Intervention
11. World Painted Blood
12. Repentless
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

draconiondevil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:06 pm 

Slayer are my favourite band of all time so I have to say that I am a bit biased. I genuinely don't think they have any bad albums. Sure they have ones that are weak compared to others but there are none that I don't actually like. That being said, of course I prefer the classic stuff to anything else they've done. I also don't normally count Undisputed Attitude as a full-length since it's a covers album, so I'd say they have 11 albums and not 12.

1. South of Heaven
2. Show No Mercy
3. Reign in Blood
4. Hell Awaits
5. Seasons in the Abyss
6. Divine Intervention
7. Christ Illusion
8. World Painted Blood
9. Undisputed Attitude
10. Repentless
11. Diabolus in Musica
12. God Hates Us All

Slater922
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:12 pm 

Geez, I'm actually surprised on how much hatred Repentless has on this site. While I don't consider it Slayer's worst album, it's nothing really special. Kinda a mediocre way to end their career if you ask me.

Check out my reviews

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next