Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:07 am 

Children Of Bodom founding drummer Jaska Raatikainen, bassist Henri Seppälä, and keyboardist Janne Wirman have all announced they're making their December 15 show at the Black Box in Helsinki, Finland their final one with the band. According to statement from the band, guitarists Alexi Laiho and Daniel Freyberg will continue on as Children Of Bodom.

"It is with heavy hearts that we announce that 2019 will be the last for Children Of Bodom with this lineup.

"After almost 25 years with BODOM, thousands of shows and 10 albums, it is time for Henkka, Janne and Jaska to step back and change direction within their lives. All three will miss the fans and supporters in every city in every country the band ever played.

"The last show of this lineup will be on the 15th of December at Helsinki Ice Hall. Tickets still remain for some of the Finnish shows in December.

"Alexi and Daniel will have further announcements about their plans to keep creating new music in the future.

"Thanks again for everything."

The final tour dates with Raatikainen, Seppälä, and Wirman can be found below. According to Blabbermouth, the band's special Hate Crew Deathroll show at Tuska is cancelled. Which makes sense considering Laiho is now the only guy in the band that played on the album.

Children Of Bodom have only had two previous lineup changes, both guitarists – Alexander Kuoppala left in 2003 and was replaced by Roope Latvala, who left in 2015 and was replaced by Freyberg.

Temple Of Blood
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:50 am 

Shocking, but will they really be missed? Seems like a lot of amateur/local musicians would jump at that gig and could do a fine job.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:26 am 

I honestly didn't think Bodom had that many original members left. It's always been seen as Laiho's band and I'm sure he could replace people without too much difficulty, but like...who really wants them to?

BlackHussar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:02 pm 

What the actual fuck?! What happened? That's like the least expected thing to read ever from this band. I've been following them since "Are You Dead Yet?", it's one of most important bands for me ever, a gateway to more extreme metal. They always seemed to have a great chemistry and strong friendship with each other. It feels really weird to me... I can't see different lineup work in any way. This really sucks.

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:37 pm 

I don't think anything strange happened. They've been doing this continuously since 1997 (1993 if you count Inearthed) and probably want to move in a different direction. They're all around 40 years old after all.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:15 pm 

All of them quitting at the same time would usually indicate that something has happened suddenly behind the scenes, added to the fact that they're cancelling their special Tuska show about a week after announcing it. Who knows though. I know Jaska had back surgery for a long standing issue, and I'm pretty sure he has two kids as well, so either of those could've played a part. Janne I feel has had a diminished role for at least 15 years now, and I could never shake the feeling that he's looked a little bored on stage for a while.

TafferLad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:24 pm 

Wow that's pretty massive after they've had a pretty stable lineup for 20+ years

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:03 pm 

Wow, that's a huge surprise. Thought the original guys would have endured till the end.

Well, I bet the guys from Norther are still looking for a job. Considering how them and COB have been closely linked since the '90s it wouldn't surprise me if one of them joined (Freyberg himself was part of the final line-up).
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Lord Diabolus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:57 am 

According to Finnish metal news outlet, I don't think they split up in such friendly mood after all.

https://kaaoszine.fi/children-of-bodom- ... amerkkiin/
Google translate:
Quote:
Children Of Bodom pattern makes it interesting, that owned Raatikainen, Seppälä and Wirman Children Of Bodom things taken care AA Sewira & Consulting Ltd has been a company applied for on 28 June PRH - Patents and Registration of Government for authorization to Children Of Bodom use the trademark. The use of the name has been granted for a period of five years from 1 October.

If you understand the rough translate, Laiho currently does not own the Children of Bodom trademark.

Raatikainen, Seppälä and Wirman have registered the COB trademark for themselves and Laiho is not part of that group who got the rights for it and the trademark will be effective for the next 5 years.

I do not know if Laiho and Freyberg will be able to continue under the "Children of Bodom" registered trademark name, at least for the next 5 years. Maybe they are in friendly terms, I don't know, but it sure is interesting turn of events considering they have applied for the trademark in june of this year - without Laiho.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:25 am 

Losing Janne is the biggest blow. I can't think of too many keyboard players who are close enough to his level to replace him.

I've decided this is the only kind of collection in the world that matters.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:34 pm 

eh, no big deal really. They've been stale for almost 10 years. Better them than someone like Insomnium, Omnium Gatherum or Wolfheart who still have tons left in the tank.

I will credit Follow the Reaper as being a gateway album for me when I was getting into extreme metal. I still think it's their best and one of the genre's best albums.

LycanthropeMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:40 pm 

I actually thought "Hexed" was their most enjoyable, fun album since HCDR. I suppose it wasn't as good as the classic first 3 albums, but I at least enjoyed myself while it was on and never found myself particularly bored. I'd say it's about on par with HCDR, actually. This is kind of disappointing.

TadakatsuH0nda
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:33 pm 

While it's a shame, perhaps new blood could bring some nice ideas to the table too.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese Metal Forum

Lane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:53 am 

TadakatsuH0nda wrote:
While it's a shame, perhaps new blood could bring some nice ideas to the table too.

Exactly. Maybe guys have seen it all already, you know? And got bored with the music business. Who knows, except they.

However, I think these changes will feel strange. I think it was always a great rhythm section.

Gunslinger21
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:27 am 

It's sad, but who knows what the guys can pull out in the future with a few new members. I'm sure these dudes will go on to awesome things as well, it will be interesting to see. They've always been a sick band, I enjoyed a lot of stuff from AYDY, HCD, BD. Those were some killer albums.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:54 am 

Lane wrote:
TadakatsuH0nda wrote:

However, I think these changes will feel strange. I think it was always a great rhythm section.

I agree. I've said elsewhere that I think Jaska is a fantastic drummer. Not overly flashy, just a really fluid player who keeps the songs flowing nicely.

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:15 pm 

Lord Diabolus wrote:
If you understand the rough translate, Laiho currently does not own the Children of Bodom trademark.

Raatikainen, Seppälä and Wirman have registered the COB trademark for themselves and Laiho is not part of that group who got the rights for it and the trademark will be effective for the next 5 years.

I do not know if Laiho and Freyberg will be able to continue under the "Children of Bodom" registered trademark name, at least for the next 5 years. Maybe they are in friendly terms, I don't know, but it sure is interesting turn of events considering they have applied for the trademark in june of this year - without Laiho.

Going behind a fellow band member's back to trademark the name before disbanding is a pretty low move to do. It will be interesting to see how things unfold from this point on.

I strongly agree that if three of the four remaining founding members all decided to call it a day at the same time, something must have happened behind closed doors.

I hope there won't be any drama surrounding this. I've not been a fan of CoB for the last 12 years or so, but still, they were one of the bands who got me into metal. Their early material is still top notch. Follow the Reaper is a masterpiece. I have a nostalgic love for this band, and it would suck to see such an important band go out with a pity legal fight between former bandmates...

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:10 pm 

How the fuck does Alexi not own the name to his own fucking band?

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:45 am 

maybe he owns only 1/4 of the name XD

Lord Diabolus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:25 am 

Laiho has commented the new trademark situation and the current circumstances surrounding the band in finnish music news outlet:
https://www.soundi.fi/jutut/alexi-laiho ... OO-aw-7QoM

Google translate (with some minor translation corrections by myself):
Quote:
Question: Under what name will your new lineup work? Children of Bodom trademark rights appear to belong to a company in which you are not a member.

Laiho: - Yeah, I left that company and at that point I was so tired that I wound up keeping that name if you want. Now the name is open. It may be that the name of our new lineup needs to be tweaked a bit in some direction. Or maybe it could be just Bodom or the name of one of our songs. Legally, it might not be a good idea to continue with exactly the same name. But it must be a name that suggests that it is the same band.

Question: Is it possible that Children of Bodom will continue without you?

Laiho: - I've realized that the lads do not intend to proceed with anything, but I do not know. And this is not the right time to say anything about this, so that there will be no unnecessary schism.

Question: Unless you find something good about the Children of Bodom situation, the upcoming tour will become even more interesting. What is the chemistry between the band on the brink of disintegration?

Laiho: We're in pretty good terms with the members of the band who are leaving I don't think any drama will come from it. Besides, you have to be a professional. You can't show negative personal feelings on stage. So, as before, we will do our best to have the band have fun and enjoy some good music. People have to give the show what they have come to see. That's the only thing that means something to me. If you have to act, then act.

There is some other stuff which I will not quote here (feel free to google translate the rest of article), but seems that Laiho already has new lineup and guys waiting to play with. It might be a situation where they will continue with some familiar name simply such as "BODOM" for coypright issues in the future if there comes no agreement.

Temple Of Blood
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:42 pm 

Ridiculous. How can they possibly take the name from him. So shady.

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:48 pm 

It doesn't sound like they took it from him in a malicious way though? Laiho threw it up for grabs on his own account after he left the company.

And to add, the guys that left have been in the band as long as Laiho has. Janne has been just as essential to their sound, although less so in modern times, and all of them have spend a huge part of their lifes making the band as large as it is. I don't like the sentiment that they "took the name away from him".

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:35 pm 

eagerly awaiting for the collaboration band children of bodushka

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:57 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
And to add, the guys that left have been in the band as long as Laiho has. Janne has been just as essential to their sound, although less so in modern times, and all of them have spend a huge part of their lifes making the band as large as it is. I don't like the sentiment that they "took the name away from him".

Well, maybe we phrase it that way because Laiho seems to want to keep going, while the other guys are leaving. So if they leave, don't keep performing under the name Children of Bodom and refuse to let Laiho perform under the name, it really does feel like they are taking the name away from him. Plus, if that means the new embodiment of the band with Laiho and Freyberg won't be able to play the older music, released under the name Children of Bodom, when they play live... than the three guys who left would have really taken the name and the band away from him...

Methuen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:11 am 

joppek wrote:
eagerly awaiting for the collaboration band children of bodushka

Luca Turilli's Children of Bodushka

With 'Oliver / Dawson / Tate Operation: Denim & Leather' opening on their tour

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:40 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
henkkjelle wrote:

Well, maybe we phrase it that way because Laiho seems to want to keep going, while the other guys are leaving. So if they leave, don't keep performing under the name Children of Bodom and refuse to let Laiho perform under the name, it really does feel like they are taking the name away from him. Plus, if that means the new embodiment of the band with Laiho and Freyberg won't be able to play the older music, released under the name Children of Bodom, when they play live... than the three guys who left would have really taken the name and the band away from him...

I mean, even if this worst case scenario turns out to be true - and we don't know if the guys are going to prevent Laiho from playing the old stuff, I'd argue that if 3 out of 4 remaining founding members of the band decide to quit the band and take the name with them, then that could be a defendable decision depending on their reasons. Maybe Laiho is holding back for now to prevent drama, but right now he's saying that things are more or less friendly between them and I don't think this characterization of the leaving members is warranted right now.

If in two months it comes out that Janne and the gang went behind Laiho's back and are continuing CoB with a new frontman I"ll swallow my words.

Vigintiseptem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:11 am 

In the Finnish article above, Laiho says about his new band: "The same familiar songs and the same familiar show with two new faces."

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:20 am 

A theory... We all know Alexi is an absolute trainwreck so, could this have been a ploy of the other band members to make sure that he doesn’t do anything crazy with their legacy? The fact that Alexi seems so blasé about the whole situation and says that they are all on good terms may be that he’s negotiating with them for how this will all work. Maybe they give him the license to the name?

The whole thing seems odd for sure... But since they are all founding members, it seems like they did what they thought was necessary to protect themselves and the band name in spite of not wanting to continue on with Alexi any longer... As I said, these are just theories I have from reading the thread.

That said, the band went off a cliff after HCDR - which is a shame. They were a band that really stood out to me and made me like some power metal but I haven’t listened to much of anything since Bloodrunk because it seemed they’d lost “it”.

Vanthos_Anasthasia
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:54 am 

I haven't thought about this band in some 15 years or so. I remember perhaps listening to an album of theirs in 2003.......Hatecrew Deathroll (had to google it). I loved the fast playing and intense feel of it all, but something about the very Europower metally moments that peeked through and Alexi's particular type of shriek placed it below a lot of other speed and thrash bands I liked. I could go on forever listing what vocalists I'd rather have fronting that band, and in a perfect world it'd actually be the current guys from Heathen and Artillery.

That all being said, the rhythm section of this band is incredible. Everytime I heard a snippet of a song in the years that followed it was obvious these guys knew what they were doing and could play in any band they wanted.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:50 am 

Quote:
We all know Alexi is an absolute trainwreck

I don't. What's wrong with him?

Quote:
Luca Turilli's Children of Bodushka

With 'Oliver / Dawson / Tate Operation: Denim & Leather' opening on their tour

Hopefully they'll enlist Thunderforce to play drums for them.

SilenceEater
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:39 pm 

MawBTS wrote:

I honestly don't know but I have been an avid fan of CoB my whole life, seeing them live (often catching mult shows of each tour) every time they hit the states in the early 2000s. I caught them again on their tour this year and while they still perform an incredible show Alexi is SCARY skinny and his energy level is way way down from their early days. I tried posting about it online after their last tour cuz I was genuinely concerned for Alexi's health but I couldn't find any answers nor interviews as to how he is holding up health wise. I know he has always been a small guy but he used to run around the stage with reckless abandon. This last time he barely moved from in front of the mic the whole time, and he just looked super gaunt and pale. Seeing that all the OG members have left AND have taken the rights only makes me worry even more that there is something going on with his health that no one is being open about. I hope he is able to pull it together!

Lord Diabolus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:06 am 

Laiho has given a new interview regarding the situation what led to the current copyright stuff and rumors surrounding Bodom in biggest newspaper of Finland...

https://www.hs.fi/kulttuuri/art-2000006302896.html
Some relevant picks from Google translate (with minor corrections by myself)
Quote:

“This was a mutual decision and it is in everyone's interest that we stop now. I have no desire to speak evil of anyone, ”Laiho says now.

According to Laiho, the story of copyright issues has given people false images.

“We had already agreed last year that the three would leave. I have no bad feelings for any of them. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to pull a big Christmas tour together. It also tells us that we are in a good spirits. Let's make a legendary ending with this lineup.

"It looked like I would have gotten kicked out from the band and the company, even though there was no such thing,"

The plans changed when the band was performing in Russia in Fall.

“We had fought a lot within the band, and I can honestly admit that those fights were mainly my fault. They always started with some devilish misconception, some sort of misunderstanding there might be between you and an ex-wife. ”

In Russia, the skis of the band members crossed so badly that for a moment it seemed that the band's story would end there. After the emotions had cooled down, the foursome settled their quarrel and decided to do their last tour in Finland.

“Fortunately, this did not mean that a tour somewhere in Russia was our last thing together. It would have become quite a letdown. Now we are ok and have agreed that we are touring together in Finland and that we will no longer have any stupid fights, ”Laiho says.

It is clear from the website of the National Board of Patents and Registration that the rights to the name "Children of Bodom" are held by AA & Sewira Consulting, which is in charge of Wirman, Raatikainen and Seppälä.

“When I signed out of that company, I knew I was going to lose that name. I understand that the other guys are not gonna continue making music, so I do not quite understand why they would like to keep the band name for themselves, but if they want to do that, they may keep it. " Laiho says

Laiho has several name options in mind for the new lineup.

“If the bands the members change, this is not a disaster. Sorry, but, but I have all the rights to those songs I've written, so I have the right to play them in the future live. The new lineup will be a really hard, new and fresher version of the current one. ”

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:03 pm 

This is so bizarre.

My initial thoughts were that the other guys were trying to protect the name if Alexi's health takes a turn for the worse. But if this was planned for a while, why copyright the name now especially if they don't intend to continue making music. And why would Alexi sign out of the company that owns the copyrights to some of his albums in some markets.

In any case, not only does Alexi come across as dumb and/or ill-advised in business matters but he seems to want to continue to make mistakes. If he plans to keep making music with Daniel he needs to keep the COB name and buy his way into the company again and then buy the other guys out, or if everything is as smooth between them as they say then the transaction could take place without any money changing hands.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:16 pm 

Quote:
And why would Alexi sign out of the company that owns the copyrights to some of his albums in some markets.

That's very much my question too. What does Alexi gain from this?

He says he doesn't understand why the others are keeping the name even though they're not making music...like, dude, they can make MONEY from the name. If Hot Topic wants to do a million dollar t-shirt run involving COB trademarks, that's now money in Wirman's pocket, not Alexi's. Bands don't have to be active for the rights to be valuable.

Quote:
In any case, not only does Alexi come across as dumb and/or ill-advised in business matters but he seems to want to continue to make mistakes.

Obviously this isn't the first time he's had band name issues: the COB name exists because they needed to get out of a shitty record deal.

I wonder if he's allowed to start releasing music as Inearthed?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:32 pm 

This is reminding me of the situation Stratovarius went through +10 years ago. They were having that bizarre period where they were on again / off again, while Timmo Tolkki had the rights to the band name and songs. I'm looking at this as someone who wasn't a fan of the band at the time it was happening but he had to my knowledge all the power on his side. As in he could not lose. Yet with him having all the advantages, he gave away not only the band name, but also the royalties to the songs! He had everything in his favor and just gave it all away. Thankfully, the band carried on without him and has been doing great ever since.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

emperor_zola
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:23 am 

Quote:
Laiho: - .... Now the name is open. It may be that the name of our new lineup needs to be tweaked a bit in some direction. Or maybe it could be just Bodom or the name of one of our songs. Legally, it might not be a good idea to continue with exactly the same name. But it must be a name that suggests that it is the same band.

Grandchildren of Bodom

:evil:

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:30 pm 

Children of Bodom were a gateway drug band into more extreme metal for me. Back when I still needed to get used to the harsher vocals of death metal, melodeath did its job quite well. I can't be the only one with a similar story?

That being said, I haven't cared about them since Are You Dead Yet?. That album was quite mediocre, so CoB to me ends at Hate Crew Deathroll.

I'll always have a soft spot for them, though, since they were an important band of my formative metal music years. But oh well, everything comes to an end sooner or later. In many cases it's because a band member or two die. In this case the members just felt like they needed to do something different with their lives. I mean, 25 years is a lot. They probably started out quite young and had no idea they were gonna achieve as much success as they did, let alone still playing 25 years later. Sometimes people just need a change. Touring the world playing music probably gets tiresome after a while. Not saying that's the case Bodom are splitting up, but you don't just terminate a rather successful band out of the blue.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:15 pm 

MawBTS wrote:
Quote:
We all know Alexi is an absolute trainwreck

a few years back, blooddrunk promo tour I think, he decided the best way to make headlines was to say he made a suicide attempt once, woe is me, I'm an unloved alcoholic, etc.

///

I'm not a fan, though, so could a fan tell me, how the songwriting went in CoB? I thought it was 90% Lailho plus the keyboardist, in which case they can't take the name from him...

Temple Of Blood
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:22 pm 

Giving up your band name is the worst thing you can do. This is why labels push so hard for bands to keep the same band names even after radical lineup or style changes.

Most metalheads just follow the band names and care little about who is actually in the band ESPECIALLY if the singer hasn't changed.

Giving away the band name for a metal band where you were the star to your KEYBOARD PLAYER is absolutely insane no matter how much of an alcoholic you've ever been.

I wonder how many CoB fans could actually name a band member besides Alexi.

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:30 pm 

CoB smoked the times I've seen them live. But its fucked up the only "key" member is now out and has no control over the name. :lol:

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next