Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheConqueror1
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:09 am 

What are some releases that come to mind? My choice would be Entombed's Left Hand Path. I just don't understand what the big deal is. I'd probably give it no more than 79%. I'm not really trying to say I dislike the album, it's just not that good to me. I also think it's extremely overrated too.
Our temple of denial

KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:16 am 

I completely agree about Left Hand Path. It's pretty good but it's not great.

As for me, I've always found Killers to be relatively mediocre compared to Iron Maiden's s/t. While the debut is chock full of classic tracks one after another, Killers only has about 3 or 4 songs that engage me. The rest is forgettable.

TheConqueror1
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:19 am 

KrigareTjovane wrote:
I completely agree about Left Hand Path. It's pretty good but it's not great.

As for me, I've always found Killers to be relatively mediocre compared to Iron Maiden's s/t. While the debut is chock full of classic tracks one after another, Killers only has about 3 or 4 songs that engage me. The rest is forgettable.

Jesus, I am so fucking glad that you agree with me about Left Hand Path. I was starting to feel like an outsider!
Our temple of denial

SixGun
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:44 am 

I'd take Clandestine over LHP any day of the week. I might be in a minority here but Unleashed's Where No Life Dwells might be my favorite old school Swedish death metal release.

TheConqueror1
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:51 am 

SixGun wrote:
I'd take Clandestine over LHP any day of the week. I might be in a minority here but Unleashed's Where No Life Dwells might be my favorite old school Swedish death metal release.

I just don't understand at all why LHP has received such good ratings.
Our temple of denial

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:57 am 

Oh hey! It's an unpopular opinions thread!

SixGun
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:10 am 

After the monolithic title track, Left Hand Path kind of blends into itself. As others have mentioned, the Nihilist demos are more filthy and rotten sounding.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:20 am 

Nah, Left Hand Path is a classic - perhaps my favorite death metal album at this time. We all know the legendary opening track, but an album full of such tracks would have been too much. The non-stop aggressive approach works really great and while Clandestine is cool as well, I wish it was a bit more of a ''go for the throat'' album.

LordStenhammar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:27 am 

Have a feeling I've said it here a hundred times. And it's not just a feeling, but the truth: Hall of the Mountain King doesn't move me, apart from couple of tracks.
To this storm called rock and roll!!!

SculptedCold
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:30 am 

schizoid wrote:
Oh hey! It's an unpopular opinions thread!

Hehe, qft.

And lets continue the anti LHP cascade; sign me up. Clandestine just has better songwriting and flow. The sound coupled with its time, I can understand why Left Hand Path has its status, but like others say, those songs just blend together and make it less an album and more a showcase. I'd honestly sooner listen to most other Entombed albums, so Left Hand Path is no classic for me. =)

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:49 am 

Count me in among those who prefer Clandestine over LHP! Clandestine was the first album I ever heard from Entombed, actually one of the first death metal albums I ever heard actually. So for the longest time I chalked it up to sentimentality on why I preferred it over LHP. Granted, the first track of LHP was absolutely crushing, but like one poster above said, the rest of the album blends into itself. And while LPH pounds you with its ferocity, I especially like the varied tempos and slow moments in Clandestine. It certainly broke the monotony.

TafferLad
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:06 am 

I never feel the urge to listen to LHP after the title track, like Burn My Eyes it's an album where the rest of the songs never reach the greatness of the first track

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:30 am 

KrigareTjovane wrote:

Finally, someone else who agrees with me on this. I don't think Killers is a bad album but with a handful of exceptions it's mostly songs from the early Maiden repertoire that weren't strong enough to go on the debut, and you can tell. Lacks an epic a la Phantom Of The Opera as well, which would give it a ratings boost otherwise. It's an alright album but not a classic.

This thread will get locked if we try and make it into a list thread or don't offer some constructive debate, so I'll bring up my usual answer which is Rust In Peace - an album which would have made a great 4 track EP if you took the first two songs, Tornado and Polaris. This is my review for it and I still stand by pretty much everything I said:

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Megadeth/Rust_in_Peace/593/Cosmic_Equilibrium/339629

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:38 am 

If I remember right, every song on Killers was written in the late 70s around the same time as the debut's material. As much as I love the album and enjoy forcing a narrative on it that doesn't actually exist, it is admittedly disjointed and haphazard at times. At the very least, it leans more on punk tinges than any other Maiden album.

I've never been sold on Paradise Lost's Icon. It's not a bad album but I find it to be an awkward transitional album. Everything it does, Draconian Times does better.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:53 pm 

I'm always sad that Killers seems to get regularly mentioned as the worst 80's Maiden album when the actual "worst" one is Somewhere in Time. :(

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:12 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
I'm always sad that Killers seems to get regularly mentioned as the worst 80's Maiden album when the actual "worst" one is Somewhere in Time. :(

Quite right.

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:18 pm 

For me it has to be British Steel. Never liked Rob Halford's vocals to be honest. Breaking the Law is pure cheese, United is a mainstream rock plodder (and was used as the theme tune for a television programme about a team I dislike), and Living After Midnight follows a similar vein.

When I first started getting into metal, bands like Priest and Maiden were all described the pejorative term ""gumbies" and it wasn't the in thing to like them. Thankfully I saw the light with Maiden. I don't think I ever will with Judas Priest.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:20 pm 

I wouldn't say I dislike the album, per se, but I've always held the belief that the second side of Piece of Mind is woefully uninteresting and boring, minus The Trooper, but I've been completely sick of that song for years now. Side one is quite possibly the single best metal album ever made, and then it totally falls off a cliff the moment Die with Your Boots On ends.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:59 pm 

Subrick wrote:
I wouldn't say I dislike the album, per se, but I've always held the belief that the second side of Piece of Mind is woefully uninteresting and boring, minus The Trooper, but I've been completely sick of that song for years now. Side one is quite possibly the single best metal album ever made, and then it totally falls off a cliff the moment Die with Your Boots On ends.

I disagree, to me Still Life is the best song on the entire album. Absolute masterpiece, that one.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:14 pm 

Somewhere in Time is Maiden's best album. I can't pick a weak track and the whole thing is them at the peak of their powers.

As for the actual thread... early Halloween isn't all that great and they got more refined and daring once Deris joined up. They had some good songs in the old days and there's nothing wrong with those albums per se, but I guess for me it's a matter of personal interaction with the music, since I started out listening to so many bands that improved on Helloween's formula later on.

And I don't think In Flames have ever recorded a good album or even a good song really. Can't stand them.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:50 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Somewhere in Time is Maiden's best album. I can't pick a weak track and the whole thing is them at the peak of their powers.

I honestly agree. The album doesn't really have stand-out hits in the same way Powerslave or Seventh Son... does, but it's a gift that keeps on giving. I never tire of it like I eventually do after other Maiden albums I binge on. The musicianship is impeccable, the production perfect, and Bruce Dickinson is at the absolute height of his powers. I still can't really call it my favorite Maiden album because that's just too hard of a call for me, but I still identify it as their peak, if that makes any kind of sense.

As for the thread itself, I've just never been into Metallica or Megadeth. I don't mean to be a hater, but it's just not the sort of thrash I'm into. Way more of a teutonic thrash kinda guy, not to mention Slayer. I still consider Metallica's early albums "good" but it's just not something I ever put on in my own time. Megadeth, on the other hand, is just a solid no-go for me under any circumstances. Even the "classic" albums sound shitty to me, and the latter half of their career is outright cringe-inducing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:59 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I honestly agree. The album doesn't really have stand-out hits in the same way Powerslave or Seventh Son... does, but it's a gift that keeps on giving. I never tire of it like I eventually do after other Maiden albums I binge on. The musicianship is impeccable, the production perfect, and Bruce Dickinson is at the absolute height of his powers. I still can't really call it my favorite Maiden album because that's just too hard of a call for me, but I still identify it as their peak, if that makes any kind of sense.

Yup... these days I think it's alongside a lot of the later 80s very polished, artful kind of albums like Operation Mindcrime and Transcendence and such. Metal was at a very good place then, I think. Their early albums were great too but I appreciate how much they refined themselves by SIT. The songs are just jam-packed with interesting, deft melodies and I can never turn it off.

Lane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:08 pm 

Conan Troutman wrote:
For me it has to be British Steel. Never liked Rob Halford's vocals to be honest. Breaking the Law is pure cheese, United is a mainstream rock plodder (and was used as the theme tune for a television programme about a team I dislike), and Living After Midnight follows a similar vein.

'British Steel' was a real disappointment, when, after years and years, I finally got it. 'Painkiller' is the sole JP albums that really fully does it for me, to tell the truth. 'Turbo' is another disappointment.

Tastes vary...

Ozzy's solo work is something I don't really care about. Some of his earlier albums are legendary, I suppose, but I find only some good songs in them. His voice got far worse during time (meaning from BS to his solos).

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:25 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Megadeth, on the other hand, is just a solid no-go for me under any circumstances. Even the "classic" albums sound shitty to me, and the latter half of their career is outright cringe-inducing.

I like most of their '90s output, but I really struggle with the three albums from the '80s. I like maybe 5-6 songs between them. Rust in Peace was a remarkable step up from what came before.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:45 pm 

How is rating a classic death metal album almost an 8/10 equivalent to disliking it? That grade immediately puts it way ahead half of the shit that's out there.

TheConqueror1
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:51 pm 

CrippledLucifer wrote:
How is rating a classic death metal album almost an 8/10 equivalent to disliking it? That grade immediately puts it way ahead half of the shit that's out there.

I guess because I don't think Left Hand Path deserves such a good rating. Eh...,I really don't know
Our temple of denial

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:52 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

My boss is a "metalhead" but literally only listens to the first 3 or 4 slayer/metallica/maiden albums over and over and over. I was talking to him about Maiden once and he said Somewhere in Time sucks and that's when they got bad. I was just like wtfingfuck. I never really got into the first couple Maiden and Megadeth albums, but I wouldn't say I quite dislike them, they just always bore me when I give them another chance.

I could never really get into Suffocation or Immolation much either and I remember reading how amazing Left Hand Path was also, but it always did nothing for me. I tried some Immolation again a few months ago and it was still nothing special for me.

Edit: I'm sure there's more, but for black metal I really don't like Emperor at all, like any of their albums.

Last edited by Sick6Six on Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flem Clone
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:55 pm 

If you're writing off Priest after listening to British Steel, then you're going about it the wrong way. Try an album from the '70s, like Sad Wings of Destiny.

DecemberSoul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:03 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
And I don't think In Flames have ever recorded a good album or even a good song really

"Stand ablaze" is the only song of theirs that really impresses me.

AllHallowsEve
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:14 pm 

Fuck that the first three In Flames albums are all classic.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:16 pm 

AllHallowsEve wrote:
Fuck that the first three In Flames albums are all class. Their old melodies and harmonies are untouchable.

Their super old stuff wasn't too awful but it did nothing for me... as soon as you got to Clayman or whatever else, that shit is pretty much unlistenable for my tastes. Awful vocals, very basic, dull melodies. I've come from more of a PM background and listened to stuff with all sorts of evocative melodic touches for years... so coming to IF much later just left me unimpressed I guess.

AllHallowsEve
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:22 pm 

Jester Race was actually the first extreme metal album I ever heard so I’m a little biased. I do agree they became unlistenable shite after the fourth album.

299796kms
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:52 pm 

Number of the Beast: A couple great songs and the rest is filler. Run to the Hills is on my list of overplayed songs I never want to hear for the rest of my life.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:27 pm 

I'm not too keen on Scream Bloody Gore, I much prefer Leprosy.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:38 pm 

I agree with the assessment of Maiden's "Piece of Mind." I actually really like that album, but to elaborate, I really like only like five of the tracks, the others (Quest for Fire, for example) sound like filler to me. Or rather, tracks that are trying to be "epic" but just aren't quite there. I love all of "Killers" though. Only the more mellow "Prodigal Son" doesn't really do it for me as much. As mentioned, it is a bit more punkish than either the debut or the Bruce Dickenson albums that followed, and you can definitly hear more of a 70's influence on some of the tracks like 'Twilight Zone" and "Drifter" for example. But I dunno... I just love that album and always will. Ah well to each his own.

Yeah, "Run to the Hills" is overplayed. But so what- it's a great song and that is one album I can honestly say I love each and every song on. (Sorry bunchofnumbers kms)

I also gotta disappoint you guys and say I love "Left Hand Path" just as much as "Clandestine" sorry guys.

So what do I DISlike? Well, "De Mysterriis Dom Sathanas" is rightfully a classic album and I will always respect it for what it is, and it's place in metal history. Its not that I "Dislike" it but rather it doesn't quite do it for me, I wish it had more variation of rhythm and tempo (too much tremolo picking) and more guitar solos on it. "Freezing Moon" and "Life Eternal" are utterly classic black metal tracks though, no matter how you slice it- I still enjoy the album for those two tracks (partly, I suppose, because they have guitar solos and variations of tempo in them.)

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:04 pm 

I am a total blasphemer when it comes to this topic. I'm an extreme metal fan, so very few albums outside of black/death/thrash sound good to me. Therefore, every album by

Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Megadeth

...is over rated in my opinion. Especially Black Sabbath. Ozzy's voice sucks imo.

That's the list of big names. As far as other over rated classics, I'd agree with Left Hand Path. I'd also say with some of the Death albums are way too over rated.

Draehl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:41 pm 

While Ride The Lightning is a solid album, it kind of feels like a transition between the more fun, youthful energy sound of KEA and matured songwriting/style of MoP. Always felt like it was overrated because of this identity crisis. Plus it has some less than stellar filler tracks.

Bloody Nine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:00 am 

Draehl wrote:
While Ride The Lightning is a solid album, it kind of feels like a transition between the more fun, youthful energy sound of KEA and matured songwriting/style of MoP. Always felt like it was overrated because of this identity crisis. Plus it has some less than stellar filler tracks.

The only song on RTL I would call "filler" is the song "Escape." It isn't horrible, but I see it as well below the quality of the rest of the album. Aside from that, the title track itself I've always found kind of boring. Rest of it is killer, though. IMO.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:39 am 

"Escape" is a filler song by most accounts. I actually read somewhere that this song, along with "Trapped Under Ice" and "For Whom The Bell Tolls" were the last songs written for the album and were put together fairly quickly, just to finish up with a full length's worth of material. "Trapped Under Ice" is actually comprised of reconstituted Exodus riffs from unreleased tracks from Kirk's former band. (Some old Exodus demo tapes contain the songs "Impaler" and "Hells Breath" where you can hear it for yourself.) But "Trapped Under Ice" is still a great song though. As for "Escape," it is the single biggest let-down out of all three of the Cliff Burton-era Metallica albums, but ironically this song is the template for what Metallica songs would sound like in the 1990s.

Yeah I get it- Ozzy is not, technically speaking, a great singer. But you know why his solo albums, particularly the first two, are such classics? It's the guitar work, all the way. Heck, "Diary of a Madman" is probably THE single album that got me into metal in the first place- and it certainly wasn't because I loved the way Ozzy sang on it. Whereas with Sabbath, it was the riffs and the songwriting.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:30 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
As for "Escape," it is the single biggest let-down out of all three of the Cliff Burton-era Metallica albums, but ironically this song is the template for what Metallica songs would sound like in the 1990s.

I'm going to ruin my "metal cred" here, but whatever...not only is Escape my favorite song on Ride the Lightning, it's also one of my all-time favorite Metallica songs. It's the perfect crossroads between the dirty & raw spirit of NWOBHM with the finesse and heaviness of the burgeoning thrash metal scene, it feels like a beefed up and heavier Tygers of Pan Tang and it's just beautiful. Plus, it's easily one of the strongest and most memorable choruses on the entire album, alongside Creeping Death.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next