Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:58 pm 

Heard good things about this band if i want brutal and technical death metal. So please tell me their best, fastest and heaviest albums?

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:18 pm 

I always feel like Annihilation of the Wicked will always be considered their classic and I can't say I disagree.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:47 pm 

Annihilation of the Wicked is a great album - easily their most widely celebrated and famous album, but I also love their debut Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka, it's not as epic or majestic as their later stuff, but it's way more straight forward and to the point - extremely brutal, violent skull-crushing death metal. Plus, it has probably the best vocal performance of any of their albums due to Karl handling like 60-70% of the vocals on there. Another favorite of mine is Those Whom the Gods Detest - it rarely gets mentioned but is loaded to the brim with some of their best riffs and features their best songwriting, along with the massive and utterly spell-binding epic '4th Arra of Dagon'. Not a single second is wasted on that album.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:58 pm 

Seconding the love for Catacombs, such a fine blend of brutality and atmosphere in an intense, concise package. I'm also fond of In Their Darkened Shrines for its shameless epic pomp - I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff but many hate it for the exact same reason, so your mileage may vary.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:59 pm 

One of the strongest US Death metal bands as well would you say? Ive checked out Deicide and Immolation in the last year, im fairly new to pure death metal having being more into black but i should know death metal better too I feel. And the lyrics are about ancient egypt? How unusual!

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:14 pm 

Annihilation is great but I'd also put In Their Darkened Shrines out there. That's the first album where they really nailed the quintessential Nile sound in my eyes. Polished production, epic sound, and more memorable songwriting than their earlier stuff. "Unas, Slayer of the Gods" is particularly monstrous. The shouted vocals that lead from the ambient break into the metallic conclusion is one of the greatest moments in metal, ever.

"HISSSS EXISTENCE... IS EVERLASSTTTTTTTINNNGGGGGG!!!"

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:51 pm 

For me nothing can beat Annihilation of the Wicked. It was one of the first brutal death metal albums I heard and I still spin it on a regular basis. Did I forget to mention that it absolutely crushes?

However!!! Their best riff by far is the one in "Kafir!" that starts at 05:40, it just hits me like a ten thousand ton sledgehammer every time. The song is from Those Whom The Gods Detest, coincidentally another one of their best albums.

As a first timer I would definately go with Annihilation of the Wicked though.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:18 pm 

shrines and annihilation are the clear top 2 for me. while sethu is by far the weakest

The Red Tower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:29 pm 

I consider Catacombs to be better than anything else they've released so far however I cannot make a real decision between their first four albums. They're all top notch.

lordcatfish
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:31 pm 

Annihilation of the Wicked and Those Whom the Gods Detest would be my top picks. The first two (Catacombs and Black Seeds) are also great as well.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:39 pm 

Annihilation and Black Seeds are my favorites. However, I have to mention that unlike most people, I enjoyed At the Gate of Sethu. Ithyphallic however sucks donkey balls.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:28 pm 

true_death wrote:
Annihilation of the Wicked is a great album - easily their most widely celebrated and famous album, but I also love their debut Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka, it's not as epic or majestic as their later stuff, but it's way more straight forward and to the point - extremely brutal, violent skull-crushing death metal. Plus, it has probably the best vocal performance of any of their albums due to Karl handling like 60-70% of the vocals on there.

This is about how I feel. AotW is the Nile sound while the debut is a nice slab of thrashier death metal that is pretty enjoyable on its own.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:40 pm 

Annihilation was my first and easily the most memorable to me. A great start if you want to get into Nile. Work your way backwards from there since Darkest Shrines is another good one.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:00 pm 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
However, I have to mention that unlike most people, I enjoyed At the Gate of Sethu. Ithyphallic however sucks donkey balls.

Haven't heard Sethu, but I thought the newest one What Should Not Be Unearthed was pretty lame. I enjoyed it when it came out but now I think it sounds super uninspired and forced. Ithyphallic tends to be a controversial one, I personally thought it had a few great tracks, namely "The Essential Salts" and "Language of the Shadows" which are two of my favorite Nile songs.

Gunslinger21
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:47 pm 

They're all pretty good, but ITDS is fucking great for lifting weights.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:41 am 

My favorite when I was really into Nile was Those Whom the Gods Detest. It just felt like the natural culmination of everything they'd done beforehand, mixed with their best production job ever. That and it has the heaviest, most headbangable song ever, 4th Arra of Dagon.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal

soverysorry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:20 am 

Yeah Annihilation of the Wicked and Those Whom the Gods Detest have to be Nile's best. Anything that came before and after is great in it's own way too, but I feel like they "peaked" and perfected the quintessential Nile sound with these 2 albums. The songwriting, the brutality, the epicness, it's unmatched on these 2 (save for themselves). IMO not a single weak track on either of them.

That said I do love all Nile albums, I even like At the Gates of Sethu. Not their best but an interesting shake-up nonetheless. I agree with an earlier sentiment that I really enjoyed What Should Not Be Unearthed when I first heard it, but after more listens it does sound a bit uninspired and forced. That said, I do like it. Negating the Abominable Coils is particularly nice. In Their Darkened Shrines is their 3rd best album for me, it was the rubberstamping of the "Nile sound" and has quite possibly one of the greatest death metal tracks ever in "Sarcophagus". The sheer simplicity but masterful execution of that song is incredible.

Nile make me hard. You can't go wrong with any of their albums really, but At the Gates and What Should Not are probably the last 2 I'd check out. Annihilation and Those Whom definitely the first ones! What a band.

TheConqueror1
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:42 am 

I think I have listened to every album by Nile. In Their Darkened Shrines is the best.
Our temple of denial

nekrosonic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:54 am 

In Their Darkened Shrines and Annihilation of the Wicked are both perfect to me but I slightly prefer Shrines because of nostalgia - it was brand new when I first discovered Nile and all the rage and I became obsessed with it so listening to it now makes me super reminiscent. Plus I prefer the moldy basement production on that one to Annihilation’s slick polish, and Shrines has the two best Nile songs - Sarcophagus and Unas, Slayer of the Gods. Both albums are 100%ers though.

Reply to topic