Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
metljoe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:48 am 

I have seen Sabaton live probably five or six times over the years. I used to really like the band but I got bored of their style years ago, and most of the times I've seen them has been on accident because they were touring with bands I wanted to see. One thing I started to notice as I watched them play is that Broden's vocals would remain strong and clear no matter what he was doing or where the microphone was in relation to his mouth. I started to become suspicious that we wasn't actually singing the vocals, especially since he claims not to be a very good singer and yet he always sounded great live, but I was unsure.

That is, until about five years ago they were touring with Nightwish. I was at the show in Louisville, KY at Expo 5 and during the song "Art of War" at one point during the chorus, he dropped the mic all the way down to his side and yet the chorus continued to play loud and clear. I mean the mic was below his waist and the volume of his vocals didn't change one iota. I also happened to be standing behind the sound booth for that show, and watched as the sound guy queued up vocal tracks one after the other. I mean the tracks were literally labeled things like "Joakim Vocals Art of War" or whatever. These were not backing vocals being queued, which is pretty common for live shows. No, they were the LEAD vocals, the ones Broden was pretending to sing.

I have searched this forum, Reddit, and the internet in general and have never been able to find anybody else discussing this, but I know I can't be the only one who has ever noticed that Sabaton's vocals are lip synced. Chime in if you've ever witnessed anything to support this observation. I want to know if I am just crazy or if this is a real thing that a metal band is doing. Thanks.

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:15 pm 

Not too surprising

LycanthropeMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:28 pm 

I think I'm just going to call bullshit on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3_ol9bbae8
This is pretty clearly genuinely live - you can hear the imperfections in his voice, and it gets quieter when it gets farther from his mouth. Maybe it was an isolated incident at the show you went to, but I went to that same Nightwish/Sabaton/Delain tour and I certainly didn't notice anything like that. This is a little hard to believe, bud. As far as him claiming he's not a very good singer, he's probably just being modest. He's not the best but he's far from bad. The last album was shit but that doesn't have anything to do with his vocal abilities at least.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:39 pm 

even if this was true... you realize that their songs contains keyboards but they don't have a live keyboard player, right? where do you think those sounds are coming from?

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:43 pm 

^ That's not the same at all. There is no pretense or expectation of the keyboards being live when they don't use a keyboard player in their lineup, but there is when you have a guy standing there with a microphone.

That said, I don't think OP has a very convincing case here. If using a playback was the norm for Joakim Broden, then there should be more evidence around than one person's memory.

metljoe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:15 pm 

raumr wrote:
^ That's not the same at all. There is no pretense or expectation of the keyboards being live when they don't use a keyboard player in their lineup, but there is when you have a guy standing there with a microphone.

Well said. As I even noted, it's common to have backing vocals be prerecorded. Same goes for symphonic instrumentation. Having lead vocals be prerecorded is a totally different level of fake and terrible.

raumr wrote:
That said, I don't think OP has a very convincing case here. If using a playback was the norm for Joakim Broden, then there should be more evidence around than one person's memory.

I agree completely, which is why I made this thread. I want to see if anybody else in the metal universe can corroborate or if I am just crazy.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:50 pm 

It's also possible that he was sick or having an off-day and decided to lip-synch or use backing tracks instead of cancelling or giving a mediocre performance. I've seen them live twice (including that same tour) and his voice was definitely genuine both times.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:16 pm 

true_death wrote:
It's also possible that he was sick or having an off-day and decided to lip-synch or use backing tracks instead of cancelling or giving a mediocre performance. I've seen them live twice (including that same tour) and his voice was definitely genuine both times.

This sounds about right. Vocalists get sick, and cancelling a show due to a cold is kind of a dick move.
Mirai of the Future
After That: Mob Psycho 100 II and Martian Successor Nadesico

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:56 pm 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:

Not one but TWO goddamn guitars yet you can't hear a single riff... yeah, metal my ass. Guy lip syncing would be the least of my concerns if I attend a gig like this

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:12 pm 

blackmantram wrote:
LycanthropeMoon wrote:

Not one but TWO goddamn guitars yet you can't hear a single riff... yeah, metal my ass. Guy lip syncing would be the least of my concerns if I attend a gig like this

It could have just been bad acoustics, or the fact that you are hearing the sound quality through a phone. I do agree on both counts though. This is why I can't get on the Sabaton train.

Zodijackyl
Definitely Proportionate

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:25 pm 

I saw them once, and conveniently enough the whole show is on YouTube. I watched a few songs and there's no doubt he's actually singing, not lip-syncing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhjh5FWXB4A

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:36 pm 

Sabaton fucking sucks so badly and I hate them so much that I accept this thread as the absolute truth. I have no proof, but I have no doubts about it either.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:07 am 

Youtube is filled with live stuff where he clearly sings.

Reply to topic