Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:44 am 

Rotting Christ will release a new album via Season of Mist.

01. In the Name of God
02. Vetry Zlye (Ветры злые)
03. Heaven and Hell and Fire
04. Hallowed Be Thy Name
05. Dies Irae
06. I Believe (ΠΙΣΤΕΥΩ)
07. Fire God And Fear
08. The Voice of the Universe
09. The New Messiah
10. The Raven

Gunslinger21
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:40 am 

Hell yeah man. Haven't listened to this guys for about four or five years, will be keen to hear this one.

Lord_Jotun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:58 pm 

They're haven't been sleeping on the laurales of their 30th anniversary celebrations. Will definitely check this out.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:10 pm 

Last few releases were incredible and loved watching them live in 2016. This is nothing but good news

Bates
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:14 pm 

Can't wait. Should be awesome.

SculptedCold
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:52 pm 

No thanks! Band's been treading water for four albums now I reckon. I have more than enough monotonous chants and repetitive guitar work in my RC collection by now.

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:00 pm 

Return to the old logo and some artwork that maybe is telling me this will harken back to a more orthodox RC black metal record? Either way I’m in even though I wasn’t blown away by the last couple.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:31 pm 

Holy Piss, I love that cover art.

doomicus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:24 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
Return to the old logo and some artwork that maybe is telling me this will harken back to a more orthodox RC black metal record? Either way I’m in even though I wasn’t blown away by the last couple.

I was thinking this might end up being the case as well. Especially since there has been a large growth of new bands playing the hellenic style of black metal, along with a lot of the originators putting out really strong albums as of late (Thou Art Lord, Agatus, Zemial, Varathron ect).

Nothing Rotting Christ have done post Triarchy of the Lost Lovers has done a thing for me, so I'm certainly hoping for a more old-school sound.

CannibalCorpse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:00 am 

doomicus wrote:
I was thinking this might end up being the case as well. Especially since there has been a large growth of new bands playing the hellenic style of black metal, along with a lot of the originators putting out really strong albums as of late (Thou Art Lord, Agatus, Zemial, Varathron ect).

This.

The new Varathron has absolutely crushed my expectations - pure Hellenic black metal! The recent Agatus CD is breathtakingly beautiful. Not that hot on the latest Zemial and Thou Art Lord releases, but they're certainly not failures either. Katavasia is also a great, great reincarnation of early HBM.

So yeah, there's hoping that the new Rotting Christ will return to more fruitful shores. I've been a huge fan of Sakis & company for almost 15 years, but their latest two or three albums have turned them into a repetitive, unmemorable beast that fails to evoke greater emotions. Theogonia was a great example of how to summarize a career in the best way, so there's me hoping for something kind of like that record.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork - NEW music video!
Adder's Fork - NEW EP stream!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:30 am 

I think the Greeks are doing very well at the moment, generally, especially when compared with a lot of the other older black metal scenes (the Norwegians in particular seem a bit lost at the moment). I've not heard the last Varathron - but their previous few releases have been great so I have no reason to doubt this one. Again, I'm less familiar with post-2000 Rotting Christ, but I thought Κατά Τον Δαίμονα Εαυτού was a strong release and even the stranger, more experimental tracks such as ' Cine iubește și lasă' (essentially like a Romanian spurned lover's curse put to music) worked very well and, somehow, fit in with the band's aesthetic. Agatus and Zemial both had very strong releases of late. Agatus, in particular, really knocked it out of the park with their last album (although, it had very little to do with Greek BM).

I hope Rotting Christ can manage something good here, I have no reason to doubt them. The cover and the themes seem interesting, too.

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

exsiccation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:23 am 

That's a cool cover and a nice-sounding track listing. Huge fan of this band.

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:14 am 

Great cover artwork!!!

The logo, painting and album title indicate that RC could return to a more classic sound. The new songs published in 2018(but not included in the new album if I am not wrong) indicate an atmospheric and darker approach which I think it would be great. We will see!

Acidgobblin
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:53 am 

Love these guys, such a unique black metal sound. Really the only melodic bm I can stomach and with pleasure too. I was relistening to Genesis today, an album that is really never mentioned- massively underrated, some fucking great riffs there. Pretty much every album has its high points and parts you will wanna repeat; I'm pretty excited to hear of a new album.

Reply to topic