Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:19 am 

Anyone big into European metal in the 90s and early 2000s has seen at least one show that took place at the TV studio Studio Telewizji in Krakow, Poland in their lifetime. It's a very unmistakable venue, with its translucent, brightly lit from below stage floor and extended platform at the front of the stage for vocalists to walk out on. As it was a TV studio, it shot pretty much every show that came through it, airing the concerts on Polish TV and allowing the footage to be used for several well-known live concert DVDs, such as Behemoth's Live Eschaton, portions of Cannibal Corpse's Monolith of Death 96-97, and, most infamously, Gorgoroth's Black Mass Krakow 2004, the show that got the band kicked off of Nuclear Blast due to allegations of blasphemy and animal cruelty. The studio also had a sister studio, Studio Krzemionki, also in Krakow, that held many concerts of its own, and also producing professionally shot concert films such as My Dying Bride's For Darkest Eyes and Anathema's A Vision of a Dying Embrace. Both studios seem to have stopped running shows in the mid-2000s without any real notice or reason as to why. There's almost no info about these studios currently on the internet, so I'm interested in any information those here more in the know of the Polish metal scene might have as to the history of these two venues, why they ran metal shows, and why they ultimately stopped.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Last edited by Subrick on Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:42 am 

Can't add to your quest for knowledge, but i'll chime to mention Yattering's contribution to that venue's legacy. Their Creative Chaos DVD is immense. That venue helped.

Lane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:33 am 

Some DVD's shot there have totally lazy crowds!!! They partly manage to ruin the "home sofa" experience.

But yeah, nice lightning for sure!

interstellar_medium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:11 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Gorgoroth's Black Mass Krakow 2004, the show that got the band kicked off of Nuclear Blast due to allegations of blasphemy and animal cruelty

I can understand even an alleged animal cruelty thing being a problem, but blasphemy?? In 2004??

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:31 pm 

Poland has laws against religious offense that are so vaguely worded that they're essentially laws banning criticism or negative depictions of Christianity. Nergal from Behemoth was actually tried in court for blasphemy after he tore up a Bible onstage in 2007. The charges were dropped, but if he had been found guilty he could've gone to prison for up to two years. Poland still levies fines equivalent to tens of thousands of US dollars against people who even so much as parody Christian figures.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

interstellar_medium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:22 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Poland has laws against religious offense that are so vaguely worded that they're essentially laws banning criticism or negative depictions of Christianity. Nergal from Behemoth was actually tried in court for blasphemy after he tore up a Bible onstage in 2007. The charges were dropped, but if he had been found guilty he could've gone to prison for up to two years. Poland still levies fines equivalent to tens of thousands of US dollars against people who even so much as parody Christian figures.

I'm sort of speechless now. Thanks for explaining!

Reply to topic