Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gullhryndr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:25 pm 

When I was younger, I knew a guy who ran a label that distributed for Ætergap Produktion (Fettered Redwoods). I think they also distributed some of Nordvis' stuff (and if not, I was still listening to them a lot). I was lucky to get to go from only knowing about the classic 90's "start here" black metal to getting to listen to really good but more underground bands like Panphage, Nawaharjan, Arckanum, Jarnvidr, Hexenwald, etc. I also got to see some cool examples of people really doing their own thing, like Wulkanaz, Wagner Odegard, and Mirkwijaz. I appreciated how personal things felt, good examples of this are Ætergap's website, Mirkwijaz's special edition "Þata Wilþeis Laíks" ritual box release, and some of the shirts Wagner Odegard has printed. It was really cool to get to see some of this stuff as it was happening, and because of that, Ætergap, Fettered Redwoods, and Nordvis will always seem much cooler than some other labels. What are some smaller labels you appreciate, and why?

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:44 pm 

Noise Records; their legendary roster, highly influential original bands and mostly high-quality releases. From Helloween and Mania in the 80's to Gamma Ray and Stratovarius in the 90's and so many more.

Limb Music; Focused on some great trad metal in the 90's. Angra and Rhapsody.

I admire Dragon Heart, Underground Symphony and Sentinel Steel for the same reason as Limb. Great trad metal in the 90's.

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:59 pm 

Some random ones that are still running off the top of my head-

Sepulchral Voice Records

No Remorse Records

Cruz del Sur Music / Gates of Hell Records

Cult Metal Classics / Sonic Age

Divebomb Records

Into It Records

Jawbreaker Records

Buried By Time and Dust Records

Journey's End records

Invictus Productions

Nuclear War Now! Productions

Doomentia Records

Iron Pegasus Records

Iron Tyrant
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:45 am 

Cruz del Sur might me my favorite label ever, especially for metal. It seems like literally everything they release is high quality, and they mostly focus on a couple of my favorite metal sub-genres: Epic heavy metal and traditional doom metal.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:24 am 

Me Saco Un Ojo
Transcending Obscurity
I, Voidhanger
NoEvDia

Not sure of they count as small, tho...

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:37 am 

therealvivs wrote:

I figure anything smaller than 20 Buck / Profound Lore (or on a bigger scale, Relapse / Metal Blade / etc.) is fair game. Underground is on a sliding scale- what might feel obvious to diehards is still something that most people have never heard of or ordered from!

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:27 am 

Satanik Royalty out of Seattle is a great new up-and-comer and doing a lot for the PNW scene. They also run Disemboweled God Fest which is happening next week and becoming one of the best death metal festivals in the country.

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:28 pm 

Stoked for Disemboweled God Fest for sure! We're headlining Sunday I think. Come say hi!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:25 pm 

Crucial Blast

They have an interesting array of weird extreme metal along with some industrial/noise stuff that I can dig like Gnaw Their Tongues and a handful of T.O.M.B. albums, but my favorite thing is catching Adam setting up an in person store front at certain shows around here and seeing his impressions display of vinyl, cds, cassettes, and even movies (on dvd and vhs) set up. Lots of fun to dig through during down time.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:58 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Satanik Royalty out of Seattle is a great new up-and-comer and doing a lot for the PNW scene. They also run Disemboweled God Fest which is happening next week and becoming one of the best death metal festivals in the country.

Oh, shit! I'm glad I checked this thread; this looks fucking awesome.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

TheArchivist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:59 pm 

Blood Harvest - They have a tasteful collection of both new and old obscure gems.

Destruktion Records - The dude behind this label had totally ditched his online shop and now conducts transactions strictly through email and blog. He despises the pathetic commercialization of metal and is trying to keep the spirit of the underground pure and undiluted. His label is also a great source for fanzines, patches and other merchandise.

Gullhryndr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:56 pm 

HighwayCorsair wrote:
Some random ones that are still running off the top of my head-

Sepulchral Voice Records

No Remorse Records

Cruz del Sur Music / Gates of Hell Records

Cult Metal Classics / Sonic Age

Divebomb Records

Into It Records

Jawbreaker Records

Buried By Time and Dust Records

Journey's End records

Invictus Productions

Nuclear War Now! Productions

Doomentia Records

Iron Pegasus Records

Iron Tyrant

Just found NWN! as they stock some of Nordvis's stuff. They've got a great catalogue.

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Cruz del Sur might me my favorite label ever, especially for metal. It seems like literally everything they release is high quality, and they mostly focus on a couple of my favorite metal sub-genres: Epic heavy metal and traditional doom metal.

I was surprised at how good some of their stuff is, even though I really don't like clean vocals hardly ever. Stygian Crown is rad, although I'm a sucker for anything Conan related.

HighwayCorsair wrote:
therealvivs wrote:

I figure anything smaller than 20 Buck / Profound Lore (or on a bigger scale, Relapse / Metal Blade / etc.) is fair game. Underground is on a sliding scale- what might feel obvious to diehards is still something that most people have never heard of or ordered from!

Agreed. I was just recently thinking about this with some black metal band- Taake or Windir or something. Most people who listen to black metal know them, but that makes up such a small percentage of most groups of people. Same for labels. To me, Nordvis is bordering on big, but compared to plenty of other labels they're still pretty small. So I guess "small" is in the eyes of the beholder.

narsilianshard wrote:

Good to know! Thanks for the heads up! If I'd known beforehand I definitely would have considered going.
Wilytank wrote:
Crucial Blast

They have an interesting array of weird extreme metal along with some industrial/noise stuff that I can dig like Gnaw Their Tongues and a handful of T.O.M.B. albums, but my favorite thing is catching Adam setting up an in person store front at certain shows around here and seeing his impressions display of vinyl, cds, cassettes, and even movies (on dvd and vhs) set up. Lots of fun to dig through during down time.

That sounds super comfy, and a service to the terminally introverted like myself. I'd love to dig through old media between bands. Any good finds?

TheArchivist wrote:
Blood Harvest - They have a tasteful collection of both new and old obscure gems.

Destruktion Records - The dude behind this label had totally ditched his online shop and now conducts transactions strictly through email and blog. He despises the pathetic commercialization of metal and is trying to keep the spirit of the underground pure and undiluted. His label is also a great source for fanzines, patches and other merchandise.

It's cool that the guy behind Destruktion is so dedicated. I appreciate that I can stream pretty much whatever music I want, but I do appreciate (and kind of miss) the older way of doing things; tape trading, waiting for mail orders and hoping that whoever recommended the band had good taste, etc etc. His page kind of reminds me of Aetergap's; theirs is just a scan of a photocopied page with a hyprelink to their one-page, pictureless catalogue. https://www.aetergap.com/

reimdaase
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:00 am 

Grimestone Records
Aftermath Music

quickbeam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:45 am 

Nordvis is fantastic; I'm a proud supporter.

In the Netherlands, I have only good things to say about New Era Productions and Heidens Hart; they are always willing to throw in a couple freebies for decent orders. Plenty of weird and old-school black metal to choose from here.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:37 pm 

Me Saco Un Ojo
Invictus Productions
Sepulchral Voice
Pulverised

All super labels with great people behind them. Support.

CelestialEmissary
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:33 pm 

Not sure if they exactly count as a record label putting out newer stuff, as all the stuff I've gotten from them is great reissues from older bands, but Hammerheart Records is fantastic. I have their Pestilence reissues of Malleus and Spheres and they're top notch. I've gotten a few other fantastic reissues by them as well. Lots of bonus tracks, beautiful slipcases, nice liner notes etc.

abyss696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am 

Norma Evangelium Diaboli: great band rooster and the editions are high quality.
Throne Records: Lavish vinyl editions and reissues of cult classic albums.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 am 

I've bought quite a few albums by the following and I always try to check out their releases.

Unspeakable Axe
Xtreem Music
Edged Circle Productions
Divebomb Records
Cruz del Sur
Νo Remorse
Blood Harvest

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen