Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lordcatfish
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:01 am 

So Tobi's announced the next Avantasia album Moonglow will be released in January next year, with tour dates already confirmed (in tags below). It will be a new story after Ghostlights concluded the last one. No guests are known yet, although I've read on the Edguy board that Bob Catley will (unsurprisingly) be featured (cracking singer).

Any hopes / predictions for guest spots? I think Geoff Tate is a certainty, with Tobi seemingly going on about him constantly on social media. Kiske and Lande I imagine are locks. I'd like to see Noora Louhimo (Battle Beast) and Timo Kotipelto (Stratovarius), maybe Erik Gronwall (H.e.a.t). I'm sure Tobi will be after a big name who has never featured before, not sure who he could (realistically) get though. Dickinson will always be the dream guest, but that'd be highly unlikely. Halford maybe? Not sure how feasible that'd be either.

Guests (*hinted at but not confirmed as far as I know):

Bob Catley
Candice Night
Eric Martin
Geoff Tate
Hansi Kürsch
Herbie Langhans (backing vocals)
Jorn Lande
Michael Kiske
Mille Petrozza
Ronnie Atkins

Tour dates and image (maybe a hint of the artwork)
Spoiler: show
30.03. GER - Kaufbeuren, All Karthalle
31.03. IT - Mailand, Alcatraz
02.04. CZ - Prague, Forum Karlin
03.04. GER - Berlin, Huxley's
05.04. GER - Ludwigsburg, Arena
06.04. GER - Bamberg, Brose Arena
08.04. GER - Fulda, Esperanto Halle
09.04. GER - Saarbrücken, Saarlandhalle
10.04. FR - Paris, Olympia
12.04. GER - Osnabrueck, OsnabrückHalle
13.04. GER - Hamburg, Mehr! Theater
14.04. GER - Oberhausen, Koenig Pilsener Arena
16.04. UK - London, The Forum
18.04. GER - Offenbach, Stadthalle
19.04. CH - Pratteln, Z7
20.04. CH - Pratteln, Z7
24.04. ES - Bilbao, Santana 27
26.04. ES - Barcelona, Razzmatazz 1
27.04. ES - Madrid, Palacio Vistalegre

Last edited by lordcatfish on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:51 am 

For years he's alternated Edguy/Avantasia/Edguy/Avantasia. I guess "Monuments" fulfilled his Edguy quota and we won't get a studio album for a while.

Avantasia can be hit or miss but their last one was pretty good.

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:20 am 

Seems like the 2019 album of the year is already locked down.

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:03 am 

I missed Andre Matos and Ralf Zdiarstek on the last couple albums. I hope they return.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:43 am 

Geoff Tate has confirmed in an interview here that he'll be on the album. Big surprise!

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=140125

Also, I haven't been following any of his solo/Operation: Mindcrime stuff, so I can't comment on his voice in recent years; but he played Seduction of Decay last year with Avantasia and sounded perfectly fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcwA0rqw6d4 (skip to 4:30 for a taste of Tate)

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:10 pm 

Since Sammet resurrected Avantasia back in 2006, Edguy has slowly been dying. If I had to choose between a bloated symphonic rock super-group and one of the world's best power metal bands, I would certainly chose the latter. It's a surprise the other Edguy band members haven't left yet. My hopes that Sammet would hang Avantasia up after the conclusion of the first trilogy back in 2010 have been shattered as he keeps working on new conceptual albums. I will give Moonglow a shot but I must say I'm disappointed.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:34 pm 

MawBTS wrote:
For years he's alternated Edguy/Avantasia/Edguy/Avantasia. I guess "Monuments" fulfilled his Edguy quota and we won't get a studio album for a while.

Alternatively, Avantasia makes Toby more money.

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:17 pm 

Obviously, Avantasia is wayyy more profitable than Edguy but keep in mind that it's also way more expensive, you have to pay additional instruments, mixing etc and also a shit ton of musicians.

I saw the poster tour and I follow quite closely Tobi on Facebook, the album isn't even finished yet, he's still intensely writing it. I was disappointed because once again they play only in Paris and it's far from my home, I will miss them. :(

As for kluseba's thoughts I quite agree on the fact that Edguy is slowly dying but it's older and more "regular" like they never really changed their style like Avantasia did, so I guess Tobi is fed up on doing the same thing for years, maybe he has done everything he wanted, they have ten albums... Also maybe his musical tastes are slowly changing (as we saw it with the musical evolution of Avantasia) and he doesn't recognize himself anymore in Edguy!

Tunes of Steel - Reviews and writing stuff website. Latest: Paradox - Pangea
Metalhertz, French Youtube radio channel

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:20 pm 

Andreas_Hansen wrote:
Also maybe his musical tastes are slowly changing (as we saw it with the musical evolution of Avantasia) and he doesn't recognize himself anymore in Edguy!

I feel like this gives too much credit to modern Edguy. They haven't really played power metal since 2004. To me, both bands play fairly similar music, but Avantasia is slightly more experimental and has more freedom to do whatever they want.

Even though I like some later Edguy, Tobi has definitely been writing his best music for Avantasia since 2008.

tobi is an animal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:24 am 

I can only handle Tate's vocals in small doses so hopefully he doesn't ruin the album too much. Tobi definitely needs Jorn on there again as he is always the highlight vocally. I would like to see the return of Russell Allen to the Avantasia family. I always enjoy Ronnie Atkin's vocals; and Bob Catley and Michael Kiske are always solid. For some possible fresh blood Simone Simons, Hansi Kursch, Noora Louhimo, Erik Mårtensson, Tommy Karevik, and Elize Ryd. Maybe someone like Sebastian Bach as an attainable name equal to Tate and Snider. On a side note I've noticed a lot of Tobi's guests are on Frontiers Records.

We'll probably see a new Edguy album middle/end of 2020, Tobi's made it quite clear Edguy is not done.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:52 pm 

Cool, always love a new Bon Tobi album. They always have awesome guitar solos and as a fan of musical theatre I dig all the guest vocalists and duets.

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:40 pm 

Hansi Kursch and Tommy Karevik would fit so well in Avantasia, I hope to see them as well.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:34 pm 

Andreas_Hansen wrote:
Hansi Kursch and Tommy Karevik would fit so well in Avantasia, I hope to see them as well.

Hansi did guest vocals with Orphaned Land, of all people, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.
Made in Abyss
After That: Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond and Golden Boy

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:43 am 

Quote:
Hansi did guest vocals with Orphaned Land, of all people, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Well, at least we know Michael Kiske will sing a Helloween throwback song, Bob Catley will sing on a huge overwrought album ender, and Ronnie Atkins will sing on an uptempo rocker.

Avantasia could kinda stand to mix things up a bit. As opposed to Edguy, which I think has the opposite problem.

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:03 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Andreas_Hansen wrote:

Yes and by the way his performance was really nice!

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:31 pm 

Oh boy I can't wait to hear more symphonic "epics" with (insert singer from bland, super-polished European "modern AOR meets metal" band here) on guest vocals!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:42 am 

Ghostlights was the kind of thing that pretty much represented everything he could do with the style and honestly if he stopped at that one I'd be fine with it. I hope he either changes it up for this one or puts out more Edguy soon.

Muthafuca
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:57 am 

Mustaine, Kursch, Adams, Tony Moore, Lawless, and the girl from Jinjer would stir things pretty well!

Muthafuca
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:59 am 

And, if Toby stuck with original Metal Opera Pt 1 and 2 plan, Avantasia would be legendary by now and I wouldn't miss anything with exception of maybe Allen.

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:15 am 

Yeah it would be really nice if he does something more in the vein of the two Metal Operas. I also like this new "AOR-influenced" symphonic power genre but a return to roots would be nicer.

Muthafuca
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:04 am 

Andreas_Hansen wrote:
Yeah it would be really nice if he does something more in the vein of the two Metal Operas. I also like this new "AOR-influenced" symphonic power genre but a return to roots would be nicer.

What I meant was, He should have stuck with only two albums and then called it a day. This was the original plan at least.
With Edguy he hasn't released anything worthwhile since Hellfire Club, they were the Power Metal 1A league coming down to hard rock - "organic" production - silly lyrics bullshit. He should get rid of Sascha and employ somebody like Andy Sneap or Mathias Kupiainen for production of both Avanasia and Edguy albums to get Power Metal feeling back.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:19 pm 

Thing is, Sascha does a lot of songwriting and arranging together with Tobi, so he's become integral to the sound that Tobi wants beyond the production. As far as I've read in a couple interviews, anyway.

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:36 pm 

Yes, Sascha Paeth is one of the two stable members with Michael Rodenberg. Tobi can't get rid of them so easily!

Muthafuca
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:43 pm 

I know Sascha is basically the mastermind behind Avantasia, but he produces Edguy too. Power metal is not music for warm, organic sound, sound has to be cold and mechanic. Like Stratovarius nowadays, or Dragonforce, or what Flemming Rasmussen or Charlie Bauerfiend used to do.
Tobi should bring Edguy to old Power Metal glory and he can do with Avantasia whatever he wants, with or without Sascha.
BTW, I looooooved old Sascha's band, Heavens Gate, great stuff!!

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:29 pm 

Meh, I don't really like this new production sound modern PM bands got. Especially for Dragonforce where it sounds so overproduced that it sounds almost like a music software... nothing is natural (I wrote a review on it if you want more). I like this old, fat sound like on Walls of Jericho or basically every Iron Savior albums. If Tobi gets back with older influences, this type of sound would fit in well.

And hell yeah, Heaven's Gate. Great band. Livin' in Hysteria has become one of my classic power metal songs that run on my phone.

tobi is an animal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:08 am 

Mysticaloldbard wrote:
Thing is, Sascha does a lot of songwriting and arranging together with Tobi, so he's become integral to the sound that Tobi wants beyond the production. As far as I've read in a couple interviews, anyway.

I only ever noticed a songwriting credit for Sascha on one Avantasia track.

lordcatfish
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:33 pm 

Jorn Lande has now been confirmed for the album, but I'm sure we all expected that.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:20 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
Jorn Lande has now been confirmed for the album, but I'm sure we all expected that.

Wow, he is really pulling out all the stops with surprise guests...

tobi is an animal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:39 am 

lordcatfish wrote:

I think Tobi learned his lesson after leaving Jorn off The Mystery Of Time album and won't be making that mistake again.

lordcatfish
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:17 pm 

Mille Petrozza announced for the album. Didn't expect that, although I guess we could use the alt version of "Mysteria" as a reference point.

Tobi also seems to confirm Eric Martin in the comments section.

LycanthropeMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:08 pm 

I thought "Ghostlights" was pretty damn fantastic, his best since at least "Angel of Babylon". I can't even think of any songs on there I disliked. I even kinda dug Geoff Tate's performance in "Seduction of Decay", which I wasn't expecting. My expectations are fairly high after that one, so I'm hoping for the best with "Moonglow".

lordcatfish
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:06 am 

Candice Night now confirmed.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:58 am 

lordcatfish wrote:
Candice Night now confirmed.

This album just got upgraded to a must buy.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:56 am 

Mille Petrozza is an interesting one. Might be a different curveball of a song with him on it - here's hoping for some more experiments.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:56 pm 

I hope we get something soon--I wanna hear what this new album's gonna sound like. D:
Made in Abyss
After That: Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond and Golden Boy

lordcatfish
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:06 am 

Hansi Kürsch now confirmed.

MatsBG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:57 am 

Cover art, tracklist, and release date released!

From their facebook:

Quote:
TRACKLIST AND ALBUM COVER OF NEW ALBUM MOONGLOW REVEALED!

Here is the official press release of The record label:

The wait is finally over! Tobias Sammet is pleased to announce the release of the upcoming AVANTASIA masterpiece »Moonglow« on February 1, 2019 through Nuclear Blast. Comprising 11 tracks, the new opus once again features several guest vocalists. This time round, Tobias worked not only with well-known faces such as Ronnie Atkins, Jørn Lande, Eric Martin, Geoff Tate, Michael Kiske or Bob Catley but also with new singers like Candice Night, Hansi Kürsch as well as Mille Petrozza who help to vitalize the new AVANTASIA record. Its cover artwork was created by Alexander Jansson.

Comments Tobias Sammet, "It's alive! After more than two years of hard work - and what felt like 71 overnight shifts back to back recently - we're ready to unleash »Moonglow« upon the universe. I believe it's the most adorned and detailed album we've ever produced. Not over ambitious, but there is a lot of love for detail in there. AVANTASIA is the ultimate playground for a musician's wildest fantasies to come true: Celtic elements, world music elements, big choirs, atmopsheric stuff, amazing guest vocal performances and of course all that wrapped up in what I consider to be the typical AVANTASIA sound. Someone in the music business just told me that the embellished nature of the sound makes it hard to market it, it doesn't fit in the contemporary musical landscape and "if you take a look around, no one really sounds like that." - EXACTLY! THANK YOU! I can't wait to release »Moonglow«, take my friends of the AVANTASIA family and hit the road for the big »Moonglow World Tour«."

»Moonglow« - Track Listing:

01. Ghost In The Moon
02. Book Of Shallows
03. Moonglow
04. The Raven Child
05. Starlight
06. Invincible
07. Alchemy
08. The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
09. Lavender
10. Requiem For A Dream
11. Maniac
Bonus Track
12. Heart

Tobias Sammet, hailing from Fulda, created the rock event AVANTASIA in 1999 and celebrated its live premiere in 2008. With over 3,5 million records sold, he is one of the most successful musicians from Germany and has worked with Alice Cooper, Klaus Meine and Rudolf Schenker (THE SCORPIONS), Bruce Kulick and Eric Singer (KISS), Eric Martin (MR. BIG) as well as many other stars from the international music business. For a long time Tobias Sammet's AVANTASIA has been considered an insider tip. But after countless headline performances at some of the world's largest rock festivals (Sweden Rock Festival, Québec Music Festival, Barcelona Rock Fest etc.), gold awards and several top 10 positions in the world charts, the upcoming AVANTASIA - »Moonglow World Tour 2019« can only be considered the biggest rock event of the year!

AVANTASIA - »Moonglow World Tour 2019«

30.03. D Kaufbeuren - All-Karthalle
31.03. I Milan - Alcatraz
02.04. CZ Prague - Forum Karlín
03.04. D Berlin - Huxleys Neue Welt
05.04. D Ludwigsburg - MHPArena
06.04. D Bamberg - Brose Arena
08.04. D Fulda - Esperantohalle
09.04. D Saarbrücken - Saarlandhalle
10.04. F Paris - Olympia
12.04. D Osnabrück - OsnabrückHalle
13.04. D Hamburg - Mehr! Theater
14.04. D Oberhausen - König-Pilsener-Arena
16.04. UK London - Forum Theatre
18.04. D Offenbach - Stadthalle
19.04. CH Pratteln - Z7
20.04. CH Pratteln - Z7
24.04. E Bilbao - Santana 27
26.04. E Barcelona - Razzmatazz 1
27.04. E Madrid - Palacio Vistalegre
02.05. S Stockholm - Arenan *NEW*
04.05. RUS Moscow - Glavclub Green Concert *NEW*
06.05. H Budapest - Barba Negra Track *NEW*

More dates to be announced soon...!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:36 am 

Man I really hope the Celtic and world music elements are played up and integrated into more songs than just a ballad or the beginning of an 11-minute song.

Great cover and cool titles. I'm sure it'll be fun to listen to.

Also - amazed it took Tobi this long to have a song called "Starlight."

tobi is an animal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:22 am 

Carl Begai from Bravewords.com heard the album

"Simply put, Moonglow is the most diverse Avantasia record since The Scarecrow (released in 2008). The ebb and flow of the album is captivating in that you have no idea where the songs are going to go. In fact, the only predictable moment is 'Requiem For A Dream', which is Tobi's expected high- speed Helloween fanboy entry trading vocals with Michael Kiske (who does what he does best at a level nobody can touch). Other than that... the way Sammet and Paeth shaped the songs using Hansi Kürsch (Blind Guardian), Candice Night (Blackmore's Night), Mille Petrozza (Kreator) and Geoff Tate (ex-Queensryche) is pure ear candy and not what you're expecting of the singers. For example.... no, Ms. Night does not go Celtic or sappy ballad on Moonglow. And Tate... he should put Operation: Mindcrime on ice and join Avantasia full time, as the material lets his voice shine. He hasn't sounded this good in 20 years. No small wonder he appears on three tracks on Moonglow.

Lead track 'Ghost In The Moon' is Avantasia's gradiose Meatloaf-esque moment, clocking in around 10 minutes, in contrast to the crushing metal of 'Book Of Shallows' featuring Sammet, Ronnie Atkins (Pretty Maids), Kürsch, Petrozza and Jorn Lande. 'The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn' is an equally rousing metal assault, while 'Invincible' and 'Alchemy' feature two sides of Tate back-to-back. Bets are on 'The Raven Child' becoming THE fan favourite on the record, which is Avantasia rock opera brilliance coupled with a Savatage-esque stomp that goes for miles. It doesn't feel like 11 minutes. As for the cover of 'Maniac'... yeah, well, to each his own."

It's disappointing if Maniac is really a cover song, I really thought that was going to be a frantic original with Mille and Hansi; and the bonus track Heart is probably a Pet Shop Boys Cover, yuck. Tate on 3 songs, 2 of which are back to back with him as the only guest, isn't something that excites me either. I'm sure the other 7 original songs will blow me away, and the 3 with Tate will at least be okay.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:35 am 

He must really like how Tate sounds now if he's putting him on three songs. Tate was OK at best at Ghostlights so he must've either really improved since then or Tobi is just that big of a fanboy...

Seems like a lot more long songs this time. Should be something.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next