Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:58 pm 

Heard good things about this band if i want brutal and technical death metal. So please tell me their best, fastest and heaviest albums?

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:18 pm 

I always feel like Annihilation of the Wicked will always be considered their classic and I can't say I disagree.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:47 pm 

Annihilation of the Wicked is a great album - easily their most widely celebrated and famous album, but I also love their debut Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka, it's not as epic or majestic as their later stuff, but it's way more straight forward and to the point - extremely brutal, violent skull-crushing death metal. Plus, it has probably the best vocal performance of any of their albums due to Karl handling like 60-70% of the vocals on there. Another favorite of mine is Those Whom the Gods Detest - it rarely gets mentioned but is loaded to the brim with some of their best riffs and features their best songwriting, along with the massive and utterly spell-binding epic '4th Arra of Dagon'. Not a single second is wasted on that album.

Lord_Jotun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:58 pm 

Seconding the love for Catacombs, such a fine blend of brutality and atmosphere in an intense, concise package. I'm also fond of In Their Darkened Shrines for its shameless epic pomp - I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff but many hate it for the exact same reason, so your mileage may vary.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:59 pm 

One of the strongest US Death metal bands as well would you say? Ive checked out Deicide and Immolation in the last year, im fairly new to pure death metal having being more into black but i should know death metal better too I feel. And the lyrics are about ancient egypt? How unusual!

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:14 pm 

Annihilation is great but I'd also put In Their Darkened Shrines out there. That's the first album where they really nailed the quintessential Nile sound in my eyes. Polished production, epic sound, and more memorable songwriting than their earlier stuff. "Unas, Slayer of the Gods" is particularly monstrous. The shouted vocals that lead from the ambient break into the metallic conclusion is one of the greatest moments in metal, ever.

"HISSSS EXISTENCE... IS EVERLASSTTTTTTTINNNGGGGGG!!!"

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:51 pm 

For me nothing can beat Annihilation of the Wicked. It was one of the first brutal death metal albums I heard and I still spin it on a regular basis. Did I forget to mention that it absolutely crushes?

However!!! Their best riff by far is the one in "Kafir!" that starts at 05:40, it just hits me like a ten thousand ton sledgehammer every time. The song is from Those Whom The Gods Detest, coincidentally another one of their best albums.

As a first timer I would definately go with Annihilation of the Wicked though.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:18 pm 

shrines and annihilation are the clear top 2 for me. while sethu is by far the weakest

The Red Tower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:29 pm 

I consider Catacombs to be better than anything else they've released so far however I cannot make a real decision between their first four albums. They're all top notch.

lordcatfish
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:31 pm 

Annihilation of the Wicked and Those Whom the Gods Detest would be my top picks. The first two (Catacombs and Black Seeds) are also great as well.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:39 pm 

Annihilation and Black Seeds are my favorites. However, I have to mention that unlike most people, I enjoyed At the Gate of Sethu. Ithyphallic however sucks donkey balls.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:28 pm 

true_death wrote:
Annihilation of the Wicked is a great album - easily their most widely celebrated and famous album, but I also love their debut Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka, it's not as epic or majestic as their later stuff, but it's way more straight forward and to the point - extremely brutal, violent skull-crushing death metal. Plus, it has probably the best vocal performance of any of their albums due to Karl handling like 60-70% of the vocals on there.

This is about how I feel. AotW is the Nile sound while the debut is a nice slab of thrashier death metal that is pretty enjoyable on its own.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:40 pm 

Annihilation was my first and easily the most memorable to me. A great start if you want to get into Nile. Work your way backwards from there since Darkest Shrines is another good one.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:00 pm 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
However, I have to mention that unlike most people, I enjoyed At the Gate of Sethu. Ithyphallic however sucks donkey balls.

Haven't heard Sethu, but I thought the newest one What Should Not Be Unearthed was pretty lame. I enjoyed it when it came out but now I think it sounds super uninspired and forced. Ithyphallic tends to be a controversial one, I personally thought it had a few great tracks, namely "The Essential Salts" and "Language of the Shadows" which are two of my favorite Nile songs.

Gunslinger21
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:47 pm 

They're all pretty good, but ITDS is fucking great for lifting weights.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:41 am 

My favorite when I was really into Nile was Those Whom the Gods Detest. It just felt like the natural culmination of everything they'd done beforehand, mixed with their best production job ever. That and it has the heaviest, most headbangable song ever, 4th Arra of Dagon.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal

soverysorry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:20 am 

Yeah Annihilation of the Wicked and Those Whom the Gods Detest have to be Nile's best. Anything that came before and after is great in it's own way too, but I feel like they "peaked" and perfected the quintessential Nile sound with these 2 albums. The songwriting, the brutality, the epicness, it's unmatched on these 2 (save for themselves). IMO not a single weak track on either of them.

That said I do love all Nile albums, I even like At the Gates of Sethu. Not their best but an interesting shake-up nonetheless. I agree with an earlier sentiment that I really enjoyed What Should Not Be Unearthed when I first heard it, but after more listens it does sound a bit uninspired and forced. That said, I do like it. Negating the Abominable Coils is particularly nice. In Their Darkened Shrines is their 3rd best album for me, it was the rubberstamping of the "Nile sound" and has quite possibly one of the greatest death metal tracks ever in "Sarcophagus". The sheer simplicity but masterful execution of that song is incredible.

Nile make me hard. You can't go wrong with any of their albums really, but At the Gates and What Should Not are probably the last 2 I'd check out. Annihilation and Those Whom definitely the first ones! What a band.

TheConqueror1
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:42 am 

I think I have listened to every album by Nile. In Their Darkened Shrines is the best.
Our temple of denial

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:54 am 

In Their Darkened Shrines and Annihilation of the Wicked are both perfect to me but I slightly prefer Shrines because of nostalgia - it was brand new when I first discovered Nile and all the rage and I became obsessed with it so listening to it now makes me super reminiscent. Plus I prefer the moldy basement production on that one to Annihilation’s slick polish, and Shrines has the two best Nile songs - Sarcophagus and Unas, Slayer of the Gods. Both albums are 100%ers though.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:10 am 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
Annihilation and Black Seeds are my favorites. However, I have to mention that unlike most people, I enjoyed At the Gate of Sethu. Ithyphallic however sucks donkey balls.

Ithyphallic is one of those rare albums where the music doesn't grab me but the lyrics absolutely do. Then again, reading the book that the lyrics are based on (and in some cases, quote word for word) kinda made it all around obsolete for me.

On further reflection, I'm gonna have to join the Those Whom The Gods Detest bandwagon. Kafir and 4th Arra of Dagon are among the band's best ever songs, the latter's climax hits me every time.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:27 am 

come to think of it, i kind of view nile's discography as a set of twos, grouping together every two albums as similar to each other - am i being totally weird, or does someone else see what i mean?

Ezadara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:41 am 

It may just be nostalgia at play-- it was the first Nile album I got into, and that was pretty early in my first forays into death metal-- but I'd have to say Catacombs of Nephren-Ka. As others have said, it's not nearly as grandiose as the records to come, but it manages to capture a uniquely 'Egyptian' atmosphere of brutality that they never really caught onto again. And it riffs like hell.

Other than that, Annihilation of the Wicked and Ithyphallic are great but the rest is varying shades of decent to mediocre for me. I'm actually kind of surprised to see so much love here for Those Whom the Gods Detest, which I thought was kind of a low point in their discography.

BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:01 pm 

A lot of people were lukewarm on Those Whom the Gods Detest when it was new but I'm glad to see people have softened on it, because I always liked it plenty.

What most people here are saying is pretty much exactly what I think. Amongst the Catacombs is the most "normal" of their stuff but it's a good record for sure (if hyped up a bit by oldheads), Shrines is where they really found their niche and it has a few bangers on it for sure (though personally Karl's mega deep vocals on that one irk me for some reason, I don't know why), Ithyphallic has a few good tracks but is otherwise meh, and Sethu is one of the few truly different sounding ones because they went even more clean on the production and tried to be super techy but just wound up being super boring. Annihilation truly is their best though. It solidified the Karl/Dallas/George lineup that wound up arguably being the most heralded of their ensembles, pretty much every single song is a hit, from the long and epic ones to the short blast-tastic barnburners, it's just peak Nile for me. Everything they were, everything they would become, it all coalesced into one beautiful snapshot in time right there and it's widely considered their best for a reason.

kochujang
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:10 pm 

Annihilation and Shrines are my favorites.

demonomania
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:50 pm 

Also agreed on the AotW and TWtGD bandwagon. If I could only listen to ten metal songs for the rest of my days, it is possible that "Utterances of the Crawling Dead" would make that list.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:24 pm 

thanks very much for all your help so far....so it looks like as a mostly black metal head like myself im set to be quite impressed by these guys it seems? :)

Five_Nails
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:36 pm 

It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to see that word 'Annihilation' keep popping up. That's such a great place to start.

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:59 pm 

In Their Darkened Shrines has long been regarded as their most definitive album, in the sense that it set the template for the "Nile sound." I've not listened to anything after Those Whom the Gods Detest but Shrines is far and away the best of their first six albums, followed by Black Seeds of Vengeance (even if it does have the muddiest production). I think "To Dream of Ur" is still the best song they wrote. Regardless, it indisputably has their best guitar solo.

Karl Sanders went on the record several years ago to state that Annihilation of the Wicked was written to be a more normal death metal album. The band got tired of being called a gimmick band and wanted to write something more generic (albeit highly competent) to prove that they could. It shows, and for the life of me I don't see why people prefer it to the three albums that came before it. I will say the songs sound much better live than they do on the record, but...that being said "Lashed to the Slave Stick" is not even a Nile song. It's the song the band hates to play but has to play at every show because every non-Nile fan likes it.

I could never really get into Those... and Ithyphallic, apart from a song or two. Honestly, the latter made almost no impression on me at all, and the former was just slightly less generic than Annihilation.

I would rank them:

1. Shrines
2. Black Seeds
3. Nephren-Ka
4. Ithyphallic
5. Annihilation
6. N/A

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

SculptedCold
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:16 pm 

I agree about Annihilation.. being a perfectly incredible album, and yet finding even at the time that it was more 'generic' an approach to Nile's relationship with death metal. I'd also agree that ..Shrines was the recognized, breakout album for them that got their identity onto the market for good. I don't think it "set the template" though. Black Seeds.. was the proper step away from the BDM of Catacombs into the more expansive compositions. That it sounded so muddy like you said, and initially incomprehensible, obscures that ..Shrines was built on its approach. Or template.

My personal favourite is Catacombs of Nephren-Ka. It has the epic-ness, the world flavour, the riffs etc, but compressed into a tight and efficient BDM assault. I just love Nile's take on straight BDM. But no-one can go wrong with the first four. Catacombs.. for the pithy BDM grooves; Black Seeds.. is a challenging listen, but absolutely worth persevering with; ...Shrines is dank and iconic, and of course Annihilation.. is just a perfectly executed DM album.

All the rest is worth listening to. Those Whom the Gods Detest especially. Ithyphallic and ..Sethu may give less returns to some. The former because of its simplicity, the latter because the sound simply sorely lacks heaviness. Haven't listened to the last one enough yet.. to even remember its name, eek.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:19 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
In Their Darkened Shrines has long been regarded as their most definitive album, in the sense that it set the template for the "Nile sound." I've not listened to anything after Those Whom the Gods Detest but Shrines is far and away the best of their first six albums, followed by Black Seeds of Vengeance (even if it does have the muddiest production). I think "To Dream of Ur" is still the best song they wrote. Regardless, it indisputably has their best guitar solo.

Karl Sanders went on the record several years ago to state that Annihilation of the Wicked was written to be a more normal death metal album. The band got tired of being called a gimmick band and wanted to write something more generic (albeit highly competent) to prove that they could. It shows, and for the life of me I don't see why people prefer it to the three albums that came before it. I will say the songs sound much better live than they do on the record, but...that being said "Lashed to the Slave Stick" is not even a Nile song. It's the song the band hates to play but has to play at every show because every non-Nile fan likes it.

I could never really get into Those... and Ithyphallic, apart from a song or two. Honestly, the latter made almost no impression on me at all, and the former was just slightly less generic than Annihilation.

I would rank them:

1. Shrines
2. Black Seeds
3. Nephren-Ka
4. Ithyphallic
5. Annihilation
6. N/A

Whats with the N/A as the sixth?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:41 am 

I haven't heard any of their other stuff in years, but I recently picked up Black Seeds of Venegeance for a bargain recently and I think it's cool. More Suffo-esque than some of their later stuff but also less "goofy" in terms of how it incorporates the Egyptian elements. Nice album.

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

BasqueStorm
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:03 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
I would rank them:

1. Shrines
2. Black Seeds
3. Nephren-Ka
4. Ithyphallic
5. Annihilation
6. N/A

Acrobat wrote:
I haven't heard any of their other stuff in years, but I recently picked up Black Seeds of Venegeance for a bargain recently and I think it's cool. More Suffo-esque than some of their later stuff but also less "goofy" in terms of how it incorporates the Egyptian elements. Nice album.

I do agree. (2000) Nile - Black Seeds of Vengeance and (2002) Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines.

I was into and could watch them live during this circa so... :love:

MetallicaTrueFan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:47 am 

Has to be In Their Darkened Shrines... it is by far their most dynamic album with two huge blistering epics to back it up. It also has possibly the best atmosphere of all the albums that feels truly nightmarish on every listen. The next best would have to be Black Seeds Of Vengeance which is just as good.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:22 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
[i]"Lashed to the Slave Stick" is not even a Nile song. It's the song the band hates to play but has to play at every show because every non-Nile fan likes it.

Is that your own speculation or do you have a source that they hate playing it?

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:35 pm 

Annihilation - easily. It's arguably one of the best death metal albums of the 00s - unbelievably pure, straightforward, brutal and catchy. Everything else is fine, but that album rips from back to back.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:59 pm 

Shrines was like the only Nile album that I actually really enjoyed listening to.

frostjunkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:39 pm 

1. Shrines
2. Black Seeds
3. Annihilation
4. Those Whom
5. Amongst the Catacombs
6. Ithyphallic
7. At the Gate/What Should Not

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:38 pm 

Acrobat wrote:

I love the song "Multitude of Foes" from that album. Awesome riffs without those annoying Egyptian scales.

Rippingheadache
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:42 pm 

I like all of their stuff, but Amongst is my favorite. Probably their darkest, most sinister album in my opinion.

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:54 pm 

Dembo wrote:
Earthcubed wrote:
[i]"Lashed to the Slave Stick" is not even a Nile song. It's the song the band hates to play but has to play at every show because every non-Nile fan likes it.

Is that your own speculation or do you have a source that they hate playing it?

Karl said it years ago on the Nile forum (well, he didn't say he he hated it, but that he hated being asked to play it at every damn show). And I'm not surprised, since it sounds like something a different band wrote.

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next