Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:01 pm 

First new Cult Of Luna album since 2013's Vertikal! (excluding Mariner, the collaboration with Julie Christmas)

https://www.facebook.com/cultoflunamusi ... =3&theater

Personally anticipating an AOTY contender - Cult Of Luna's albums always have to grow on me a bit, but they're very immersive experiences that keep me pulled in once they've got a hold on me. Stoked!

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:19 pm 

Oh man I'm so stoked for this... can't imagine that it's something less than a masterpiece.

DrummingEdge133
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:27 pm 

Not a niche of metal I tend to listen to much or like very much, but Cult of Luna has always been an exception band for me. They're very good and create interesting immersive experiences with their albums. The Beyond and Salvation are great albums that can be very very heavy at times with memorable riffing, and feel very apocalyptic to me, almost like a quiet calm before the storm in Fallout 4 or something, pretty neat feeling. I'll be looking forward to this for sure.

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:23 pm 

They released a song from it a while ago:

Youtube: show

It's going to be great as always. Strangely enough though, as much as I love the band on their own, the Mariner with Julie Christmas has become my favorite thing they've been involved in.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:44 pm 

Yeah, I agree. Mariner is my favourite too, even though they haven't released a bad album. That album is a beast when it comes to songwriting. I hope that carried over to this one.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:08 pm 

I've listened to this band for years and yes, the Mariner collab is my favorite. They outdid their formula with that one. Cohesive, climactic, and a great mix of callous / calm.

Am excited to hear what they've got up next.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:00 pm 

I will have to go against the grain and say that the collaboration with Julie Christmas was a little bit of a disappointment to me. I might have to listen to it again, though, since it's been a while.

This new song is sounding pretty good, so I will definitely listen out for some more.

Gravetemplar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:26 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
I will have to go against the grain and say that the collaboration with Julie Christmas was a little bit of a disappointment to me. I might have to listen to it again, though, since it's been a while.

This new song is sounding pretty good, so I will definitely listen out for some more.

I kind of agree, Vertikal was a lot better than Mariner. Mariner is good too but Approaching Transition is pretty dull and boring (and it lasts 13 fucking minutes). That song really ruins the flow.

I'm not exactly sure why is Mariner so hyped. Salvation, Somewhere Along the Highway and Vertikal are so much better and a lot more cohesive imho.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:21 am 

MikeyC wrote:

I'll have to agree here, although the one song without Christmas on the album, Approaching Transition, is one of Cult of Luna's absolute best. What a masterpiece.

I've been a fan of Luna for more than ten years, and I only recently managed to see them live (will see them again soon, however). The new song sounded great, although it was a little bit even for them, and I'm really looking forward to the new album. The new stuff they played live sounded absolutely fantastic.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:17 am 

I'm a bit partial to the older albums since Salvation and The Beyond were a part of my entrance into this type of sound, and I also saw them live the first time during the SATH tour which made me a fan of "Dark City, Dead Man" till today. I've seen them also during the release shows for Vertikal and that album really excels live, and then I watched them play SATH in its entirety which was incredible. So yeah, I'm partial for those albums in comparison to the rest.

I have Mariner sure, I'm even jamming it right now, but while I enjoy the album I don't feel that it touches the sky like many of those before it. I'm really excited about the new one though because I want to see just how much they return to their typical sound with it. I'd love for them to put some dirtier tunes in there again.

InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:07 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
They released a song from it a while ago:

It's going to be great as always. Strangely enough though, as much as I love the band on their own, the Mariner with Julie Christmas has become my favorite thing they've been involved in.

I love Mariner. It is my favourite album by Cult of Luna by a wide margin (and I really like some of their other stuff also). But Mariner isn't just my favourite Cult of Luna album it is also one of my favourite extreme metal albums of all time. Therefore I'm quite excited about the news of this new release but I'm also cautious. I can't see how they can live up to the Mariner. I think the addition of Julies clean vocals, and insane screaming, brought a whole new dimension to the band. Not sure they can get the same effect without her (or someone like her).

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:55 am 

InnesI wrote:
I can't see how they can live up to the Mariner. I think the addition of Julies clean vocals, and insane screaming, brought a whole new dimension to the band. Not sure they can get the same effect without her (or someone like her).

Yeah her vocal performance jelled so well with their sound that it almost feels like the band has to now proof themselves after the departure of a sound defining member. But I know it's unwarranted because the new song sounds amazing, and the possibility exists that another album with Julie would pan out to be an album of disappointing diminishing returns. I don't think I need that, Mariner still gets regular spins from me and I enjoy it just as much as I did in 2016.

Gravetemplar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:56 pm 

There's a new video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6Yd_vpek1M

The house is the same as in this cover by Anekdoten, not sure why.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:08 pm 

What I really don't get is why bands choose to put albums below 80 minutes on two discs... Seems too much like a gimmick to me.

jthompson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:19 am 

androdion wrote:
What I really don't get is why bands choose to put albums below 80 minutes on two discs... Seems too much like a gimmick to me.

I have heard in interviews that sometimes musicians don't want things like bonus tracks, etc, to be on the same disc as the album. (on their own or albums they buy) Which I can definitely sympathize with when it comes to vinyl, and I've seen it that way on CD as well. But that doesn't appear to be the case here.

Gravetemplar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:47 pm 

androdion wrote:

Regular CDs only allow 74 minutes, don't they? That's why they split the material into 2 CDs. If I'm correct some players won't read 80 minute CDs.

Vinyl is a lot worse, most of the LPs are just wasted space when they press albums that weren't supposed to be on vinyl.

Runko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:54 pm 

79 minutes.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:01 pm 

I'm pretty sure that 700MB per 80 minutes is the reference on CDs. That's why I don't get splitting it like that.

Gravetemplar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:35 pm 

androdion wrote:
I'm pretty sure that 700MB per 80 minutes is the reference on CDs. That's why I don't get splitting it like that.

"Playing times beyond 74 minutes are achieved by decreasing track pitch (the distance separating the track as it spirals the disc) in violation of strict Red Book standards. However, most players can still accommodate the more closely spaced data if it is still within Red Book tolerances".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_D ... ital_Audio

Maybe this means they can but most companies still won't do it just in case. I don't think I own an album that is over 74 minutes.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:39 pm 

I'd have to double check back at home. I could be wrong too, that could always be the case.

Gravetemplar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:00 pm 

Wait, turns out I have a few: Dordeduh - Dar de duh is 78 minutes long and Arstidir Lifsins - Vápna lækjar eldr is 78 minutes too so it can be done. Weakling - Dead as Dreams is 77 minutes.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:41 pm 

Almost at the beginning of my music library, the Aes Dana/Miktek collaboration album has 1:19:29. Carbon Based Lifeforms' debut for instance has 1:19:50! So ten seconds below 80 minutes. Guess I wasn't crazy after all. :D

So my point remains. Eight songs spanning 78 minutes spread out over two CDs is kind of gimmicky. But like someone said above the vinyl version should be even worse...

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:17 pm 

The Ruins Of Beverast's albums are all pushing the capacity limit; that's another example. 70:21, 79:54, 79:49, 78:25, 67:38 from Unlock to Exuvia, respectively. Lateralus by Tool is another example, where it's 78:51 if I remember correctly.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:19 pm 

That said, for Cult Of Luna maybe it's a conceptual thing - they split it in half perhaps because those groupings of songs are thematically tied together? I can see them doing that, and wouldn't be surprised if this eventually came up in an interview.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:31 pm 

Yeah, it's too early to comment on that decision when the album isn't even out yet. Maybe it can be called a gimmick, but I'm not against bands making decisions about their albums that go against bare-faced pragmatism. I just hope the packaging won't be too wasteful.

jthompson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:41 pm 

androdion wrote:
Almost at the beginning of my music library, the Aes Dana/Miktek collaboration album has 1:19:29. Carbon Based Lifeforms' debut for instance has 1:19:50! So ten seconds below 80 minutes. Guess I wasn't crazy after all. :D

So my point remains. Eight songs spanning 78 minutes spread out over two CDs is kind of gimmicky. But like someone said above the vinyl version should be even worse...

Tool's Lateralus I believe is 78:58 long. :D

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:49 pm 

Well, of course it could he a case of having two thematic halves. Still... meh, it's the kind of thing that doesn't tickle my fancy. It just seems unnecessary when it comes to the CD format. Which when split on vinyl can still be had in two halves.

It's just me being picky about the format, but I really think that it's unnecessary.

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:03 am 

Second song!

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:40 pm 

Incredible, they never end to amaze me

PeteGas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:14 pm 

jthompson wrote:
androdion wrote:

Tool's Lateralus I believe is 78:58 long. :D

I think Load is the same. I recall hearing they had to cut out parts of some songs to get it under 80

The_Emo_Hater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:29 am 

androdion wrote:

Bongripper is notorious for long albums. Great Barrier Reefer is 1:19:23 and Hippie Killer is 1:19:53 and they both work fine in my CD player.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:43 am 

The album has leaked, and it's a fucking monster! :o

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:35 pm 

Super pumped to check this out. Mariner was good, but not my favourite by them. Somewhere Along The Highway is probably my favourite, I think it's their most dynamic album, with lots of stuff on it that just sounds like straight up post-rock, the rest of their albums are much more uniformly heavy from what I remember. The first sample track was really really great so I got high hopes.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:55 pm 

The album is incredibly varied, both in sonic approach and in mood. Lots of influences from the past couple of albums but a lot of SATH too. There's also new stuff which is remarkable! The two middle songs are such a potent combo that I'm actually pissed off that I'll need to change discs while switching between them. :lol: It's still early to make such a statement, and even more with such a vast and always good-to-great discography, but this is very close to being their most mature and "complete" album.

The second single is in my view the worst song on the album by the way.

Gravetemplar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:41 pm 

This is unbelievably good. Everything I was expecting and even more on the first listen. It's grabbed me a lot more than Mariner did.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:33 am 

This could actually be their best album to date.

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:03 pm 

This album is MASSIVE. That closer.. holy shit.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:37 pm 

This arrived today. I'm excited to see so many people pumped for it! As my favourite-ever band, it's always a little scary when a new one comes out: will this be the point at which they fall below perfection? How long can the streak of peerless excellence continue?

The first listen begins...

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:56 am 

Safe to say it's a fantastic album. It's hard to say which is best, but this could easily end up being among them.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:20 am 

hm, I differ slightly in that it's definitely good, but I hear some filler and question the length as well.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next