Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:01 am 

Amon Amarth have completed work on their upcoming album which will be released during Spring via Metal Blade. It was tracked at Sphere Studios in North Hollywood, California with producer Jay Ruston (Anthrax, Stone Sour).

"With the last record, Jomsviking, I wrote a complete fucking movie script and we turned it into an album. This time around, I didn't have any of those ideas but we also didn't want to do a concept thing, either. Jomsviking turned out so well, so if you then start working on another concept album and try to top that, it would almost be impossible - unless you have a really great story lined up that you can do that with. But I didn't, so it didn't make sense. I was a bit lazy on this one - I waited for the music to be done, so I could see where it would take me."
-Johan Hegg

Last edited by Dembo on Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:37 am 

I mean, was Jomsviking even really a concept album? It was basically just the normal Amon Amarth lyrics in every song and hardly told any kind of coherent story in the way that say, King Diamond's albums do. The album itself was okay but also easily the worst Amon Amarth album so far...granted, that's not a bad track record for a band that's released the same album five times in a row - they're nowhere near as stale or boring as Arch Enemy.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:06 am 

The last really good Amon Amarth album was Twilight of the Thunder God, though I thought Jomsviking was actually better than the two that preceded it. It is kind of funny how the first announcement of this new album has the vocalist admitting he was “lazy” coming up with the lyrics during its creation. Not sure that bodes well.

Regardless, I think I’ll enjoy this a lot more if they go back to that heavy guitar tone they had on WOOOS and Thunder God. The last few albums practically sound like power metal at times.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:25 am 

praey wrote:
The last few albums practically sound like power metal at times.

Sabaton actually have a cover of Twilight of the Thunder God.

Five_Nails
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:27 am 

I'd like to see Amon Amarth get back into that mid to late 2000s form as well, but if Hegg considers his lyrics lazy compared to 'Jomsviking', it's sure to be a major flop on that front.

Still, I'm excited to see them in May with Slayer and Lamb of God. Their live setlist looks like a lot of crowd pleasing and that's really all I'm in it for with any of those three bands. That'll be one hell of a show.

Amon Amarth still has it for the most part, they just seem very unsure of what to do when the tropes run out, and boy have they run out. Look at the duets they've been pushing these past few albums, those god awful wastes of space for no reason other than to try to expand their reach, as if the band doesn't have a large enough audience already in such a relatively niche area. The band seems ready for Hegg to leave and do a solo album that totally bombs while the rest of the group does a few marginal bits before their big comeback that disappoints everyone and then goes back to playing "The Pursuit of Vikings" for the four millionth time.

We'll see what happens when the first single drops, but I'm not expecting a major or even minor change or growth from them at all. Wouldn't it be great to have that album that has you going "holy shit" from them though? We can always dream.

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:46 am 

These guys ran out of ideas a while back. Sure, there may be 1 or 2 decent songs here that end up on their setlist, but a new album from them isn't much to get excited about.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:17 pm 

I'm assuming his use of the word "lazy" was tongue-in-cheek. It probably came across differently spoken than written down.

I think they've been on somewhat of a steady decline since With Oden on Our Side, although I still enjoy Twilight of the Thunder God and Surtur Rising. Deceiver of the Gods had it's moments, but a lot of the songs fall flat. And I can't even remember the last time I listened to Jomsviking. I'll definitely check it out, but I don't have much reason to believe this one won't be a dud.

Lord_Jotun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:33 pm 

ObservationSlave wrote:
I think they've been on somewhat of a steady decline since With Oden on Our Side, although I still enjoy Twilight of the Thunder God and Surtur Rising. Deceiver of the Gods had it's moments, but a lot of the songs fall flat. And I can't even remember the last time I listened to Jomsviking. I'll definitely check it out, but I don't have much reason to believe this one won't be a dud.

100% same here. This band is in desperate need of a rejuvenation of sorts.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Discordant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:37 pm 

praey wrote:
It is kind of funny how the first announcement of this new album has the vocalist admitting he was “lazy” coming up with the lyrics during its creation. Not sure that bodes well.

Exacly what I thought :lol:

I been getting tired of their formula for the past few albums, I wish they would find some diffrent creative inspiration that isn't the traditional heavy metal leaning they've been sneaking into their music as of late...

Imperiator <- Black Metal (old-school Bathory/Immortal/Dissection)

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:43 pm 

You can talk about concepts and new ideas all you want, but at the end of the day Amon Amarth always ends up sounding like Amon Amarth. And I like their sound, so that's ok with me.

I don't think they'll ever top their 2000s run, Versus the Worlds through Twilight, but even Deceiver of the Gods level quality would be welcomed.

alexo666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:19 pm 

^Pretty much this post above me, and I think that's why I'm a weirdo who actually LOVES Deceiver.

Jomsviking was fine for what it is, but I don't expect them to ever quite go back to melodeath like they used to do.

Last FM

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:46 pm 

this thread just reminded me that the chorus to Raise Your Horns exists and now i'm cringing so hard it hurts

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:10 pm 

I agree that Jomsviking isn't really anything special. I don't know how "well" it turned out. It certainly doesn't come close to being considered one of their best albums. I'll definitely check this out though, because I like the band.

BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:16 pm 

Honestly I think it's kinda refreshing that Hegg just flat out said "Yeah I was lazy this time, I could've done better but I didn't ¯\_(ツ)_/¯". Every single press release since the beginning of time has claimed that the band is mega proud of their new album and this is the best they've ever done, and seeing a band just flat out say "Yeah we couldn't top it so we didn't try" is great in how hilariously honest it is.

Granted he was just talking about lyrics, but still. Everybody knows what Amon Amarth sounds like and they haven't had any real shift in sound for over a decade, so I'm expecting more of the same. WOOOS is a classic and they haven't sniffed that level of quality since, but I'll give it a listen out of curiosity I'm sure.
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEWS: DRAINING THE DREGS: Archaic Decapitator, Kremlin, Mortanius, Critical Extravasation, Hath, Hedonihil, Oculum Dei, Calico Jack, Eugenic Death, Sludgehammer, Inferi, A Day in Venice
The Outer RIM - Uatism: The dogs bark in street slang

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:20 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Honestly I think it's kinda refreshing that Hegg just flat out said "Yeah I was lazy this time, I could've done better but I didn't ¯\_(ツ)_/¯". Every single press release since the beginning of time has claimed that the band is mega proud of their new album and this is the best they've ever done, and seeing a band just flat out say "Yeah we couldn't top it so we didn't try" is great in how hilariously honest it is.

I know, I totally agree with that. I wish bands could have the same honesty with the music they make and not just the lyrics. It's why I hate press releases - albums never (or rarely) live up to them.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:21 pm 

I honestly lost interest in AA. Should I check out Deceiver of the Gods or Joms first?

Five_Nails
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:42 pm 

ChildClownOutlet wrote:
I honestly lost interest in AA. Should I check out Deceiver of the Gods or Joms first?

I'd say check out 'Deceiver of the Gods' for the hook in "As Loke Falls", the power of "Under Siege", and the intensity of "We Shall Destroy". 'Jomsviking' had a couple of moments but wasn't an album I'd recommend to many. At least 'Deceiver' had some awesomeness about it, but 'Jomsviking', I really can't wrack my brain and remember much about it, though I ranted plenty enough about it when I had it going. If anything, check out the Doro duet in "A Dream That Cannot Be" and see just how shit the band's duet gimmick has gotten because "Hel" is just another rock on which the band hit its head on the way into the abyss on that unnecessary front.

Now I think of it, "The Way of Vikings" was a good one on that album but for all it was advertised as, it's not a concept album. It's an album with great presentation but the substance just doesn't hit for me in spite of the fact that the guitars and drums sound so good. "First Kill" and "At Dawn's First Light" are such commercial singles, "Raise Your Horns" has its power just to build it around a chorus and as much as it has the energy, it's been done so much better that even "Eleventh Hour" by Lamb of God or "Bloodied Yet Unbowed" by Primordial make for a more potent drinking songs. In a live setting I'm sure it'll get me going as it should, but 'Jomsviking' is so weak in so many ways, it really shows that Amon Amarth needs to make a new footprint on some fresh ground.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:09 am 

The only good song on Jomsviking was Back on Northern Shores. Usually there's 3-4 songs I like on an AA album but last time it was only 1.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:11 am 

ChildClownOutlet wrote:

Joms to find out what not to do, then Deceiver to see how it works.

Five_Nails
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:27 am 

tahu157 wrote:
The only good song on Jomsviking was Back on Northern Shores. Usually there's 3-4 songs I like on an AA album but last time it was only 1.

Even with this song, how does it compare to other ending songs like "Prediction of Warfare"? When I listen to Amon Amarth I see them playing to certain tropes and that epic end song in "Back on Northern Shores" was nothing when you level it with plenty of ending epics.

"The Way of Vikings" was part of the ripper section that the band can hold down and at least provides some aggressive and catchy variety within but their epic ending songs have fallen apart in the past few albums. Why do you think they've done covers in 'Surtur Rising' to round it out? "Warriors of the North" still worked as an epic ender in 'Deceiver of the Gods' but it still didn't have the breadth of "Embrace the Endless Ocean".

Maybe I'm talking out of turn but it seems to me that Amon Amarth tries to pursue the "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" that Maiden had so well captured in 'Powerslave' at the end of many an album and I'm sad to say that they can't keep that momentum anymore.

Maybe they can bring it back, I'm hoping they can, but the reality is the decline that we've seen for nigh on a decade now.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:32 am 

They're stuck in the Overkill and Powerwolf formula of "I like what they do, but they've done it more than enough."

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:43 am 

Five_Nails wrote:
Now I think of it, "The Way of Vikings" was a good one on that album but for all it was advertised as, it's not a concept album

If the artist says it's a concept album, chances are it is, since they are the ones coming up with the eventual concept. Concepts don't have to be clear to everyone or easily detected.

Five_Nails wrote:
Why do you think they've done covers in 'Surtur Rising' to round it out?

Bonus tracks are not considered part of the album and should not be counted in the same way. And these are only on some versions.

Five_Nails
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:06 am 

Dembo wrote:
Five_Nails wrote:
Now I think of it, "The Way of Vikings" was a good one on that album but for all it was advertised as, it's not a concept album

If the artist says it's a concept album, chances are it is, since they are the ones coming up with the eventual concept. Concepts don't have to be clear to everyone or easily detected.

Five_Nails wrote:

Bonus tracks are not considered part of the album and should not be counted in the same way. And these are only on some versions.

Wow, Captain Specificity is here to say absolutely nothing useful.

This band stuck to theme far better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq3YD7fNZTI

than this band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55OJ17cHeJA when advertising its latest drop, and that's not even to include Hegg's interviews or the fact that the band had all of its music down and waited for the frontman to finally put such painstaking lyrics as "this is how we battle, it's the way of vikings" to it.

Calling 'Jomsviking' a concept album is like saying that the Franklin Mint made a coin especially for you.

If I wanted to praise all my scrap metal cookie cutters from the '50s for their uniqueness not becoming razor blades after being stripped from decommissioned warships, I'd slap on the same smiley stickers as 'Jomsviking' deserves.

Do you know how many bands call themselves "experimental" and end up being annoying purposeless dreck? How many bands call themselves prog, deathcore, or even heavy metal and just flat out aren't? Why aren't Bullet for my Valentine, Asking Alexandria, Five Finger Death Punch, Mudvayne, Disturbed, Circa Survive, System of a Down, Slipknot, and The Acacia Strain on the Archives? They say that they're heavy, they say that they're metal, isn't that good enough? I mean this is a site that's elitist enough to purge a plethora of bands for not being "metal enough" but a burnt out band with an AC/DC formula is where hairs need to be split? And if bonus tracks aren't part of the album, well I guess it says more about the quality of the main thrust that they sometimes become highlights. Sure, they shouldn't be considered part of the album, you got me I yield, but boy was that the weakest of all split ends to cut at.

Check out this band: https://divineelement.bandcamp.com/ they did better with a sophomore concept album than Amon Amarth did on its ninth full-length.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:50 am 

MawBTS wrote:
They're stuck in the Overkill and Powerwolf formula of "I like what they do, but they've done it more than enough."

I'd agree to some extent, but Overkill and Powerwolf have been far more consistent with regard to the quality of their material. I personally like Ironbound better than The Grinding Wheel, but I feel like they are still relatively comparable albums. With Oden on Our Side and Jomsviking are a night and day difference as far as I'm concerned.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:37 pm 

I missed Jomsviking when it was first released and am checking it out now. I get the impression that Amon Amarth really wants cleaner vocals but Hegg can't quite figure out how to properly cross over.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:43 pm 

Clean vocals should have to be licensed by third party professionals. Half these death metal guys just have atrocious cleans and sound like utter shite. I hope AA doesn't go that route.

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:05 pm 

I somehow enjoyed Jomsviking tough the last last two albums(at least) sound too much heavy metal-esque. I wish they could introduce more deat metal heaviness in the upcoming work, but sadly I doubt it will happen.

Anyway, I really want to see what they can offer us now.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:45 am 

Five_Nails wrote:
Dembo wrote:
Five_Nails wrote:

Five_Nails wrote:

Wow, Captain Specificity is here to say absolutely nothing useful.

This band stuck to theme far better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq3YD7fNZTI

than this band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55OJ17cHeJA when advertising its latest drop, and that's not even to include Hegg's interviews or the fact that the band had all of its music down and waited for the frontman to finally put such painstaking lyrics as "this is how we battle, it's the way of vikings" to it.

Calling 'Jomsviking' a concept album is like saying that the Franklin Mint made a coin especially for you.

If I wanted to praise all my scrap metal cookie cutters from the '50s for their uniqueness not becoming razor blades after being stripped from decommissioned warships, I'd slap on the same smiley stickers as 'Jomsviking' deserves.

Do you know how many bands call themselves "experimental" and end up being annoying purposeless dreck? How many bands call themselves prog, deathcore, or even heavy metal and just flat out aren't? Why aren't Bullet for my Valentine, Asking Alexandria, Five Finger Death Punch, Mudvayne, Disturbed, Circa Survive, System of a Down, Slipknot, and The Acacia Strain on the Archives? They say that they're heavy, they say that they're metal, isn't that good enough? I mean this is a site that's elitist enough to purge a plethora of bands for not being "metal enough" but a burnt out band with an AC/DC formula is where hairs need to be split? And if bonus tracks aren't part of the album, well I guess it says more about the quality of the main thrust that they sometimes become highlights. Sure, they shouldn't be considered part of the album, you got me I yield, but boy was that the weakest of all split ends to cut at.

Check out this band: https://divineelement.bandcamp.com/ they did better with a sophomore concept album than Amon Amarth did on its ninth full-length.

"Prog" and other genre terms aren't up to the artist like "concept" is. We may have no idea whether someone have a red thread/concept throughout the songs, but we can hear whether a piece of music is progressive or not. Lyrics often involve very strange metaphors that only the lyricist knows the meaning of, hence him being the only one who can know whether there's been a concept throughout the album or not. We can only interpret, and sometimes it's easier than other times.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:16 pm 

In the thread that got locked, the OP said the new song has been leaked. Does anyone know where that is?

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:54 pm 

In any case, the song will be posted officially tomorrow.

The release date is May 3rd, and this is the tracklist and cover art:

1. Fafner’s Gold
2. Crack the Sky
3. Mjolner, Hammer of Thor
4. Shield Wall
5. Valkyria
6. Raven’s Flight
7. Ironside
8. The Berserker at Stamford Bridge
9. When Once Again We Can Set Our Sails
10. Skoll and Hati
11. Wings of Eagles
12. Into the Dark

Last edited by Dembo on Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
CannibalCorpse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:59 pm 

Is the "Berserker at Stamford Bridge" a song about Didier Drogba? ;-)

Either way, rumors aside, I don't think we'll ever hear another Victorious March/Masters of War/Versus the World or even Guardians of Asgaard from them. I'll be checking this out, but don't expect to get through the whole thing without falling asleep.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork - NEW music video!
Adder's Fork - NEW EP stream!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:12 pm 

I haven't cared for em since With Oden, doubt this'll change anything. It's a shame cuz they were a fun band once upon a time.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Everflowingstream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:10 pm 

praey wrote:
The last really good Amon Amarth album was Twilight of the Thunder God, though I thought Jomsviking was actually better than the two that preceded it. It is kind of funny how the first announcement of this new album has the vocalist admitting he was “lazy” coming up with the lyrics during its creation. Not sure that bodes well.

Regardless, I think I’ll enjoy this a lot more if they go back to that heavy guitar tone they had on WOOOS and Thunder God. The last few albums practically sound like power metal at times.

Well they are what I coin 'death metal for the power metal fan' IMO. Not sure I have ever read any of their lyrics either and I doubt I am missing out. I have most of their albums and am not looking to slur them wih this post, it's just what I've always thought of them.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:17 pm 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
Is the "Berserker at Stamford Bridge" a song about Didier Drogba? ;-)

Ha ha, the first time I read that song title I was also scratching my head in doubt. :lol:

It should be about this though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Stamford_Bridge

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:45 pm 

Youtube: show

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:31 pm 

Dembo wrote:

:boring:

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:45 am 

Official stream:

I actually quite like it. It's at least better than anything on Jomsviking, easily. It feels a little heavier and more death metal-oriented than they've sounded for awhile now, the chorus is really strong and anthemic, and the melodies are a lot more striking, almost power metal-esque at times. I also think Johan Hegg's vocal performance is really strong here, a lot more power in his voice than he's had in awhile. I was honestly really hoping they'd bring back some of that Bolt Thrower-esque "pummeling" quality that their old material had, and I can hear a little bit of that creeping in during the verses and whatnot...hoping to hear some more of that on the full album and less of the stale "heavy metal with death vocals" shit they've been peddling lately.

Also, it feels like a missed opportunity not to call it The Berzerker :).

CannibalCorpse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:45 am 

Dembo wrote:

This is actually a lot better than the stuff I've heard from the last two albums. Reminds me a little more of "With Oden..." and that's quite surprising.

Okay, I'll remain alert.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork - NEW music video!
Adder's Fork - NEW EP stream!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Last edited by CannibalCorpse on Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Five_Nails
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:59 am 

I'm not putting a penny down on this album unless the title track is a duet with Olaf from Fuck Your Yankee Blue Jeans.

Paganbasque
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:02 pm 

Based on the short teasers I was expecting something a Little bit more DM oriented. I would be happy if they can release something in the vein of Oden … at least something with fast riffing and not so heavy metal esque, though I liked the last álbum. New single sounds fine and it has some interesting details but I still think its too similar to what we haven listened to in the last 2-3 albums. Anyway, I am curious to taste the whole thing, as always.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next