Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:11 pm 

Well, we are one week into 2020, so I thought it would be time to start the companion thread to "...Anticipated albums of 2020".
I am just checking out my first new record of 2020, and it's Kaoteon's self-titled release. Only on the first track, but it inspired me to make this thread! Has anyone heard anything new yet in the first week?

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:53 pm 

Been doing a brief search and found the following

Worm - new song. I don't know this band at all, but this new track sounds awesome; Disembowelment meets Goatlord!

A black/doom band called Gazarii - with pretty balanced aspects of both in the riffing

Last edited by colin040 on Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:08 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Wormed - new song. I don't know this band at all, but this new track sounds awesome; Disembowelment meets Goatlord!

Wow, I almost lost my shit. I thought that was really Wormed... :aww: :(

Flugeldufel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:44 pm 

New Paysage D'hiver album coming, as well as a CD of all the PDH Schnee songs.

Hopefully new Negative Plane, but I don't really know what they are up to lately.

Gore__Grinder
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:55 pm 

New Svrm album is more really good atmospheric Ukrainian style black metal

https://svrm.bandcamp.com/album/--9

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:16 pm 

The first album (and first *good* album) I heard was the new Odour of Death EP, Satanic Devotion. IMHO it doesn't really hold a candle to their side of last year's split, but there are still some worthwhile riffs strewn about this malignant slice of semi-melodic black metal.

https://odourofdeath.bandcamp.com/album/satanic-devotion

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:22 pm 

Flugeldufel wrote:
a CD of all the PDH Schnee songs.

Hmmm....would be cool to hear a remastered version of "Schnee" from the Vinterriket split without having the godawful Vinterriket track attached to it.

Aldrahn333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:28 pm 

Gore__Grinder wrote:

Wow, thank you very much. Never heard of them before, but definitely well worth to check it out. The first song on bandcamp was impressive.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:16 pm 

Flugeldufel wrote:
Hopefully new Negative Plane, but I don't really know what they are up to lately.

This thread is for already released albums. Anticipated album discussion is here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=125321

Dustroy_Troly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:41 pm 

I wasn't super enamored with it, but people who like Mgla should check out Intricacies of Bowed Wisdom by Grimah. https://grimah.bandcamp.com/album/intri ... wed-wisdom

My own favorite so far is Kaoteon's self-titled: https://kaoteon.bandcamp.com/album/kaoteon
Pretty fun, riffy and varied stuff.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:53 pm 

Gore__Grinder wrote:

This is totally awesome. Thanks!

thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:37 pm 

Three releases that have piqued my interest so far this year:

Apokryphon - Subterra
Experimental black metal project from Zorgh, the bassist of Darkspace.

Sivyj Yar - Горе (Grief)
Sorrowful black metal from Russia with solid sounding musicianship and writing

Drown (formerly known as Slow) - Subaqueous
Aquatic sounding doom metal from Markov Soroka, founder of Tchornobog and Aureole

Edit: Realized I accidentally posted this under "worthwile" rather than "upcoming"

l Lunaris l
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:57 am 

Haunt's new album, Mind Freeze, was a really pleasant start to the year.

Curious_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:10 am 

New Rage album. I can't say I've ever been a follower of the band, but I like it.

HviteGuden
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:48 pm 

Kawir starts this year in a great fashion for me.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:07 pm 

This is some killer trad metal, think Satan meets Visigoth. They even have a track dedicated to Mark the Shark:
https://fighter-records.bandcamp.com/al ... y-my-sword

Curious_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:54 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
This is some killer trad metal, think Satan meets Visigoth. They even have a track dedicated to Mark the Shark:

Oh, thanks for that, just listened to Die by my Sword and it looks right up my alley!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:42 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

Thanks for that, that sounds right up my alley. Listening now.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

redagony
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:42 pm 

So far, I have liked to varying degrees:

Gravewurm - Funeral Rites (Ohio):
A nasty blend of death and black metal with slimy vocals, solid riffs, and a rougher production that I really liked

Kawir - Αδράστεια (Greece):
I've never done proper deep dive into these guys, but this album was a nice slab of epic savagery.

Wormhole - The Weakest Among Us (USA/Scotland/South Africa):
Plenty of crushing brutality and fancy technicality

Svarttjern - Shame is Just a Word (Norway):
Steady and solid Norwegian black metal with plenty of Second Wave influences, and an odd cover of Exodus towards the end.

Odious Mortem - Synesthesia (California):
Tech-Brute death metal from former members of Decrepit Birth and Severed Savior. I think the album loses some steam towards the second half.

Terrifiant - Terrifiant (Belgium):
Thrashy NWOBHM worship that has pretty fun and catchy riffs and vocals that are made out of pure steel.

Unbounded Terror - Faith in Chaos (Spain):
Solid, meat & potatoes death metal

Ironflame - Blood Red Victory (Ohio):
Heavy metal with good tempo and energy. I also really liked the vocals.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:18 pm 

redagony wrote:
Kawir - Αδράστεια (Greece):
I've never done proper deep dive into these guys, but this album was a nice slab of epic savagery.

I'd never heard of them before, but I liked the artwork, so I'm gonna check it out tomorrow.

Demon Fang
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:26 am 

If anybody here likes Mystic Prophecy's Fireangel, Metal Division is a worthwhile listen. Definitely better than Killhammer and War Brigade. More anthemic hits that hit hard and more of Liapakis' remarkably smooth voice.

l Lunaris l wrote:
Haunt's new album, Mind Freeze, was a really pleasant start to the year.

Co-signing this post.

redagony wrote:
Odious Mortem - Synesthesia (California):
Tech-Brute death metal from former members of Decrepit Birth and Severed Savior. I think the album loses some steam towards the second half.

Damn now there's a name I've not heard in a long time. Cool that it sounds like they still got it.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:11 am 

The first half is good fucking noise, the second half is straight up blackened death doom. Powerful shit indeed.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:11 am 

Raw Ride wrote:
If anybody here likes Mystic Prophecy's Fireangel, Metal Division is a worthwhile listen. Definitely better than Killhammer and War Brigade. More anthemic hits that hit hard and more of Liapakis' remarkably smooth voice.

That's good to hear. I basically stopped following them after how lame Killhammer was... I'll check out the new one.

edit: Trying "Eye to Eye" and yeah if the whole album is like this it's definitely better than anything they did in the last 10 years or so.

Seems like they have mostly an all new band now. I guess that contributed to the fresher feel here.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:10 am 

narsilianshard wrote:

Thanks for posting, this is killer. I spun Haunt earlier today and enjoyed it, but so far this is scratching the trad itch rather better - bit more bite in the guitars and I prefer the vocalist.

Mostly, I'm cranking Crypt Sermon which I somehow missed until it made the board's 2019 top ten. Hell of a record.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:30 pm 

The two albums that are getting consistent spins from me are:
Kawir's Adrasteia which was already mentioned. Nothing less was expected from these Hellenic masters!

Vengeful Spectre was a complete bolt from the blue. Folkish black metal from China. It's a tremendous album and will probably gather more momentum as the days pass. The use of traditional instruments are not overtly done. I'd recommend this album!
https://vengefulspectre.bandcamp.com/al ... ul-spectre

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:02 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
New Rage album. I can't say I've ever been a follower of the band, but I like it.

The new Rage is def their best since Soundchaser. They do have a tendency for putting out long albums with quite a lot of boring songs but this is tight.

Bummed it doesn't look I can make it to London for their only UK date now. I'm down south later in Feb but should be working up North then... we'll see. Any opinions on them live recently?

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:17 am 

*edit* oh nevermind, this came out in december, my bad
new cianide ep is exactly what you'd expect

therealvivs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:44 am 

shouvince wrote:
Vengeful Spectre. Folkish black metal from China.

I have to be honest mate, I was expecting this to sound like shite. I'm not the biggest fan of folk or pagan or whatever black metal in the "traditional" form, I believe most of it sounds silly and just takes that evil, raw and visceral appeal of what I want from this kind of music.

But for whatever reason, this just sounded good, somehow different and refreshing, while still very much rooted in traditional black metal landscape. The folk elements do mesh well with the metal side of things and maybe because it's not the typical kind of folk I'm used to, I'm finding it very interesting.

Headless420
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:12 pm 

Flugeldufel wrote:

If anyone here has ANY info on the status of Negative Plane please cough it up now!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:15 pm 

therealvivs wrote:
shouvince wrote:
Vengeful Spectre. Folkish black metal from China.

I have to be honest mate, I was expecting this to sound like shite. I'm not the biggest fan of folk or pagan or whatever black metal in the "traditional" form, I believe most of it sounds silly and just takes that evil, raw and visceral appeal of what I want from this kind of music.

But for whatever reason, this just sounded good, somehow different and refreshing, while still very much rooted in traditional black metal landscape. The folk elements do mesh well with the metal side of things and maybe because it's not the typical kind of folk I'm used to, I'm finding it very interesting.

I agree. It took me a few listens to get past the slightly "clean" production but after I made my peace with it, I started to enjoy it more. I agree that the folkish elements are really well done.

mirons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:39 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

I agree with the other posters before me about it being great stuff. The accent is a bit funny though, brings a smile to my face every now and then. I didn't notice it at first; it was 'judgement' pronounced as 'yootchment' in Master of Revenge what made me notice it, and after that I cannot unhear it anymore :D

redagony
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:33 pm 

This week, I got into...

Fjord - Midvinterblotets Skaldersånger (Sweden)
Rough frozen melo-black. Solid in every aspect

Haunt - Mind Freeze (California)
Third really good album in three years. That's pretty oustanding.

Vengeful Spectre - Vengeful Spectre (China)
Absolutely amazing album. Loved it!! Cannot recommend this one enough.

War Dogs - Die By My Sword (Spain)
This one simply rocks.

Cult of Horror - Hermetik Heretic (Brazil)
Pretty fun black-thrash.

Midnight - Rebirth by Blasphemy (Ohio)
Got an advanced copy of this puppy, and it rules as you would expect. Do not hesitate to buy!

Tulus - Old Old Death (Norway)
Another advanced copy, this time from a band that features members of Khold and Sarke. This is a mixed bag, IMO. The first three tracks were great, and then the album seemed to lose all sorts of steam.

Wombbath - Choirs of the Fallen (Sweden)
Also got an early copy of this one. This one underwhelmed me a bit, but it was still pretty solid.

Moongates Guardian - Cold Waters of Anduin (Russia)
Tolkein-themed black metal that is totally fine, but there are several bands/albums that blow the doors off of this. The diehard atmo-black metal fan will probably like it a lot more though.

Kloct - Years of Silence (France)
One man black metal project. Nothing reinventing the wheel here, but I found this one quite interesting.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:19 pm 

redagony wrote:
So far, I have liked to varying degrees:
Unbounded Terror - Faith in Chaos (Spain):
Solid, meat & potatoes death metal

I listened to this a couple weeks ago and "meat & potatoes" was the exact phrase that came to mind for me as well. Still an enjoyable album, can't see many fans of death metal not enjoying this.

I'm liking Bonded's album, thrash debut by ex-members of Sodom, has strong whiffs of modern Testament and Death Angel along with some Southern flair in the vein of Exhorder's newest.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:17 am 

Perversion's EP called Archaic Death Metal is some blackened death/thrash goodness. Think D666 but chunkier riffs. I'm not thaaat big of a fan of the reverbed vocals though but it suits the style.
https://perversionisdeath.bandcamp.com/ ... eath-metal

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:00 pm 

mirons wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

I agree with the other posters before me about it being great stuff. The accent is a bit funny though, brings a smile to my face every now and then. I didn't notice it at first; it was 'judgement' pronounced as 'yootchment' in Master of Revenge what made me notice it, and after that I cannot unhear it anymore :D

It makes it even funnier that within the same song he has no problem pronouncing "justice" :lol:

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:48 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Perversion's EP called Archaic Death Metal is some blackened death/thrash goodness. Think D666 but chunkier riffs. I'm not thaaat big of a fan of the reverbed vocals though but it suits the style.
https://perversionisdeath.bandcamp.com/ ... eath-metal

Damn, thanks for sharing. I enjoyed their Storm of Evil debut from a few years ago and didn't know they had anything new out. They always reminded me of an American version of Vomitor and this EP sounds like a great continuation of that sound.

For other new stuff, the new Impiety is pretty solid. It got a quiet digital release last fall but just got a physical release today. Standard Impiety in terms of style, lots of blasting, staccato riffs, epic stomps, enraged vocals. The production is probably one of the best things about it, the sound is clear, loud, and probably one of the better production jobs they've ever had.

Cabecao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:16 pm 

I gotta agree on Vengeful Spectre as well. Viciously aggressive and catchy. I love the folky elements mixed in there as well.

therealvivs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:50 pm 

Black Metal is wasting no time laying siege to 2020...!!

Both Asgrauw and Vananidr just released two excellent albums respectively.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:47 am 

redagony wrote:

Wow, this is nuts. Between this and Zuriaake I am now apparently a dedicated fan of folk-tinged Chinese black metal.

therealvivs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:18 am 

Razakel wrote:
redagony wrote:

Wow, this is nuts. Between this and Zuriaake I am now apparently a dedicated fan of folk-tinged Chinese black metal.

I was also caught by surprise... The Chinese folk and the typical black metal archetypes go together as peanut butter and jelly... And I had no clue that could be a thing. Apparently it is.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next