eerie_noctular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:52 pm 

Statement from the band:

https://77thnovel.blogspot.com/2020/01/ ... -from.html

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:04 pm 

Damn, so I guess this means the last trilogy they were doing won't be complete. Unfortunate news for sure, but I can't say I'm surprised given the turmoil the band was in about a year ago when the guitarist left and called them out for being transphobic. We still never heard their side of the story on that, and this statement is vague as fuck. I still enjoy all the Absu albums though, and it's cool that we at least have their catalog to enjoy. Sucks that I never got to see them live though.

Misotheist - Melodic Black/Death/Thrash Metal
Spotify

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:05 pm 

I have to say that as much as I love Tara, I never really got into Absu and Abzu. They've been claiming Apzu* was in the works for years now, wasn't it already recorded?

Last edited by Gravetemplar on Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speed Metal Terror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:14 pm 

This royally sucks. I was looking forward to hearing new tunes from them.

Bread Congregation
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:20 pm 

I didn't care that much for the last couple Absu releases, but everything up until then was great. Bummed that this is how they went out.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:22 pm 

btw, the latest remixes/remasters are great:

https://osmoseproductions.bandcamp.com/ ... ix-version

https://osmoseproductions.bandcamp.com/ ... ix-version

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:27 pm 

yeah It sucks but I think it's for the better. With all the drama and half the scene seeing Proscriptor as a homophobe the future of the band was doomed anyway.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:28 pm 

Bummer

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:37 pm 

I was starting to get worried when Abzu was followed with nothing but a steady stream of rereleases and compilations, which is always a pretty good indicator that something's not right. Pretty disappointing as I really liked the sound on that album and was excited to see how they'd follow it up.
In the end- in life- aren't we all sort of wearing corpse-paint in front of a crowd of strangers? Or is that the most pathetic metal-themed analogy ever uttered? I cannot tell, but I feel a bit ashamed now.

NEW Valcove album: https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge

Slayze_
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:55 pm 

This is terrible news, but as said, not surprising. They will always remain one of my favorite bands of all time.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:09 pm 

Can't say I'm surprised - the band had been dormant for years now. Shame we won't ever hear Apzu though - I was anticipating it! The last album was great, the one before was decent, and they were consistent as hell prior to that.

Never knew about the whole transphobe thing though - I'd noticed that their guitarist left and went through a transition, but somehow this bout of controversy had flown under my nose.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:18 pm 

Echoing what everyone else said - sad but not surprising, plus the drama associated with the band about year ago did put a bit of a black cloud over them. The biggest loss to me is not being able to see any more live performances. They remain one of the best live bands I've ever seen, and certainly one of the best in the blackened thrash subgenre.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:34 pm 

Third Storm Of Cythraul is such a nice slab of metal. So unfortunate.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:38 pm 

Amy is the best Absu song and you won't change my mind

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:39 pm 

I really liked the last two records and would have liked to hear Apzu. I'm fortunate to have seen this band in concert several years ago. However, the group had been dormant for quite some time. It had been obvious in the past five years or so that the band was slowly dying.

''Visitors'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/visitors-a-short-story-p1453372

''Bullet'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/bullet-a-short-story-a173345708

''Perspectives'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/perspectives-a-short-story-c31001958

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:55 pm 

yea from what I understood apzu was at least all composed and at least in demo stages of tracking. but yea since the split with the guitarist and the guitarist claims and the band smartly not answering any there wasn't going to be another album. also there were some other dealings with the legalities with candlelight being bought by sony. So that might have been the biggest factor.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

terrordread
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:23 pm 

Damn! I can't say I listen to Absu much nowadays, but I definitely enjoyed their music in the past (and saw them 3 times in concert). Will definitely have to spin some Tara in the near future!

exsiccation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:30 pm 

Last edited by exsiccation on Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Jotun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:50 pm 

Fuck this. Years and years of waiting for the new album and now poof. I'm too pissed off to elaborate right now.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:12 pm 

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Can't say I'm surprised - the band had been dormant for years now. Shame we won't ever hear Apzu though - I was anticipating it! The last album was great, the one before was decent, and they were consistent as hell prior to that.

Never knew about the whole transphobe thing though - I'd noticed that their guitarist left and went through a transition, but somehow this bout of controversy had flown under my nose.

There was a thread about it at the time:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=122469

Misotheist - Melodic Black/Death/Thrash Metal
Spotify

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:41 pm 

not surprised considering how inactive Absu has been and how involved Proscriptor was with all sorts of other things

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:47 pm 

Damn.

Also I have no idea how the transition of Vis Crom flew under my radar, especially since I know her better from her time with Rumpelstiltskin Grinder. Apparently she is still in that band so it would be amazing to see them live - they always put on a great show!

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell
RIP DIO

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:44 pm 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:

There was a thread about it at the time:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=122469

Ah I see. I was frequenting the forum much at the time, so I definitely missed this. That's unfortunate.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:48 pm 

exsiccation wrote:
Hope to hear more cool stuff from Proscriptor at some point, though. He's talented enough that I feel like he'd have no trouble finding a new gig.

Funny you mention that, the Australian black metal band Mongrel's Cross posted on their Facebook a few months back saying Proscriptor would be handling vocals for their new album. Be curious to hear how he fits their style, which is slower and more Bathory-esque than Absu. No telling if he'll end up transitioning to a more permanent position in the band or not.

Proscriptor also did live vocals for Zemial at Maryland Deathfest last year, which I thought was a pretty cool performance. It'll be cool to keep hearing from him. His vocals, drumming, and general energy are one of a kind.

Sedition and Pockets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:01 pm 

praey wrote:
No telling if he'll end up transitioning to a more permanent position in the band or not.

I see what you did there.

Metal Shark
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:50 pm 

Sedition and Pockets wrote:
praey wrote:
No telling if he'll end up transitioning to a more permanent position in the band or not.

I see what you did there.

:lol:

Metalion_SOS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:46 am 

The announcement has been removed from Facebook, which adds some weirdness to the whole thing.
I asked Proscriptor about the future of the band just a few weeks ago, he told me that "big nuclear news is impending" which I guess is this, and I thought he meant the new album release date!

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:36 am 

I noticed a few people in this thread were referring to the new album as Apzu, but i'm pretty sure it was going to be titled Apsu with an S. I personally am extremely annoyed that I waited all these years for the follow-up that now appears is never coming out now. It kinda drives me nuts that the trilogy will always be incomplete. I saw him interviewed awhile back, and he said the new album was going to be released in the fall but that obviously never happened, and now this.

Substantia_Nigrae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:43 am 

Could never get into them, they are an acquired taste for sure.
Had Tara on vinyl, spinned it a couple of time and traded it away.
I might revisit them soon, see if I'm missing something.

BinBagOffensive
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:04 am 

Thats a shame, they were the first black metal band I ever heard, and my original point of interest in the genre. Even if some of them had issues with transgenders, you would think the long working time together would at least open the doors to better understanding. Shame really.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:17 am 

Deathstalker1985 wrote:
I noticed a few people in this thread were referring to the new album as Apzu, but i'm pretty sure it was going to be titled Apsu with an S. I personally am extremely annoyed that I waited all these years for the follow-up that now appears is never coming out now. It kinda drives me nuts that the trilogy will always be incomplete. I saw him interviewed awhile back, and he said the new album was going to be released in the fall but that obviously never happened, and now this.

You are right. Not sure why I remembered it being called Apzu. Mabye because they already have a song bu that name?

Apsu

LABEL: TBA
RELEASE DATE: TBA
ARTWORK: Zbigniew Bielak

TRACK LIST: TBA

LINE UP:
Ezezu – Electric Bass Guitar, Implements & Voice (The Omniscient)
Proscriptor – Drums/Percussion, Lyricism, Papago Flute, Treatments & Voices (The Protagonist)
Vorskaath – (Analogue & Digital) Synthesizers, Classical/Acoustic Guitar, Mellotron & Signal Generator (The Watcher)

Additional Musicians:

Alex Colin-Tocquaine – Soloist
The Dark – Six & Twelve-String Acoustic Guitar
Rune Eriksen – Soloist
Ross Friedman – Soloist

ADDITIONAL NOTES: TBA

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:47 am 

Metalion_SOS wrote:
The announcement has been removed from Facebook, which adds some weirdness to the whole thing.
I asked Proscriptor about the future of the band just a few weeks ago, he told me that "big nuclear news is impending" which I guess is this, and I thought he meant the new album release date!

I saw some comments on social media making fun of Proscriptor's use of the word "finite" - as if he didn't realize that finite means that it WILL have an end of sorts.

In the context he wrote it, it's like he said "I'm breaking up this band.....until I don't."

Maybe he needs to reword it? :lol:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:54 am 

Proscriptor has got to be one of the most incomprehensible native English speakers in the universe so lord knows whatever the fuck he means at any given time :lol:

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:42 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Proscriptor has got to be one of the most incomprehensible native English speakers in the universe so lord knows whatever the fuck he means at any given time :lol:

He's a few steps away from Portal :lol:

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:34 pm 

I have went to the Absu official site and if I saw correctly, it seems that Proscriptor erased every trace of Vis Crom from the site.

for exemple, its the line up from the 2011 album as seen on his site:

«LINE-UP:
Proscriptor – Voice, Drums/Percussion, Mellotron & Implements
Ezezu – Voice, Bass Guitar & Mellotron

Additional Musicians:
Rune "Blasphemer" Eriksen – All Guitar Solos»

https://absuwebsite.wixsite.com/absu/albums

we can compare it to the Metallum page
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Absu/Abzu/311860

She is not seen on the members page either.

Proscriptor is a fucking loser, a coward and a liar. It seems that being transgender is too intense for some people dabbling in the occult.

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of screamo bands suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced."

Speed Metal Terror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:10 pm 

lost_wanderer wrote:
I have went to the Absu official site and if I saw correctly, it seems that Proscriptor erased every trace of Vis Crom from the site.

«LINE-UP:

Additional Musicians:

Proscriptor is a fucking loser, a coward and a liar. It seems that being transgender is too intense for some people dabbling in the occult.

Or maybe he didn't want to be associated with someone that wrote songs (XXX Maniak) about having sex with kids.

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:19 pm 

Maybe, but XXX maniac albums were recorded years before she join Absu. Do you think it took him 8 years to find out about that? Especially in the internet age. She joined in 2010. Just having a quick google search and he would have find out easily before even made her a official member. He just didn't care about that. She maybe a rotten individual (Idon't know anything about her) but I seriously doubt she was fired because of her involvement in XXX maniac. Do you have proofs of what you are claiming?

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of screamo bands suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced."

Methuen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:40 pm 

I've never listened to Absu, so have no irons in the fire - but is the below really the statement of someone in (I'm guessing) their mid-forties with English as their first language ?!

""After meager deliberation and zero remorse, I have decided to dissolve Absu after three decades of existence. Collectively and universally speaking, this decision is finite due to insoluble circumstances, which has led to this ultimate result. No amount of time, exertion, formula or fashion can alter my verdict""

...what ?! :lol:

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:08 pm 

thing is that as it is now it looks bad on Proscriptor but we also don't know his side of the story. I don't say this to defend him because if this is as it seems like it is it just aint cool. However for now it is also stuck in the he said vs she said thing and what are we outsiders supposed to do with that?

Sedition and Pockets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:19 pm 

Speed Metal Terror wrote:
lost_wanderer wrote:

«LINE-UP:

Additional Musicians:

Or maybe he didn't want to be associated with someone that wrote songs (XXX Maniak) about having sex with kids.

He cared sooooo much about tongue-in-cheek grind lyrics that he only waited 12 years from the last XXX Maniak album to effect the split.

Or, you know, Proscriptor is another dumpster fire bigot in black metal.

I know what my money is on...

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next