Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:10 pm 

So King Gizzard have been added to the Archives for their thrash metal record "Infest The Rats' Nest" which dropped yesterday. What do you guys think?
Youtube: show

Youtube: show

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:22 pm 

Playing this now. Still fairly new to the band but yeah, this is killer. Voivod vibes all over the place. From what I've heard of this and their other work, this is a real creative force and I love their zeal and energy. Super talented.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:56 pm 

i've only heard a couple of their albums, these dudes are pretty out there. This actually has some catchy riffs and shit though.

MorbidEarth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:03 pm 

I listened to the new record earlier today. They’re a band that I’ve tried to get into but they never quite clicked for me until now. This is a really fun album. Definitely agree that it’s reminiscent of Voivod. I can hear bits of Metallica and Slayer too. Mars For The Rich is total Motörhead worship. It’s certainly one of the most enjoyable metal albums that I’ve heard so far this year. I’m pleasantly surprised to see them now featured on Metal Archives. I think I need to try listening to their earlier stuff again to see if I can get into it this time.

KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:32 pm 

I listened to it pretty much all day yesterday. The album itself is nothing new, but it does sound very fresh and effortless, almost like they're a veteran metal band midway through their peak or something. One of the common complaints about it is that the final section of Hell leaves the listener blue-balled as... well, hell! While it wouldn't hurt for them to drag that riff out another minute or so, I think the brevity of it makes it a more fitting exclamation point on the whole album. It leaves the listener wanting more rather than giving too much.

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:46 pm 

Lots of influences have been named already, but is anyone else reminded of Sleep by the vocals? And parts of Superbug wouldn't sound out of place on Dopesmoker. I'm enjoying this immensely. Definitely warrants another look at the rest of their stuff, which so far I haven't been able to get into all that much.

Runko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:15 pm 

I mostly hear Halford in the vocals.

jthompson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:20 pm 

Check out The Great Chain of Being from Gumboot soup for a song with some Sleep influence. ;)

Polygondwanaland is the album that really got me into these guys, and I'd say I enjoy maybe half or so of their output. Some of it I still don't care for but there are some great albums. I was quite excited when I learned they were putting out a metal record, and I've been enjoying it quite a lot.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:25 pm 

Never heard of these guys, but I’ll check them out just for the name. That is hilarious :lol:

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:52 pm 

In the past 6 months, these guys have cemented themselves as my favorite band of all time. They e a s i l y have surpassed everybody else with their sheer creativity in everything they do. Polygondwanaland has pretty much already passed my old favorite record ever, too. Honestly every album they have post (but also including!!) Mind Fuzz is utterly terrific.

This new ones rips, too. The Venusian trio just blows me away.

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:00 pm 

These guys rule. Theyve flirted with some metal stuff in the past (there's a very Sleep influenced song on Gumboot soup, for instance). Its awesome for them to basically go full on metal while still retaining a bit of that steady motoring krautrock sounds that i fell in love with. This is definitely top 10 of the year material.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:40 pm 

I've played Murder of the Universe, Nonagon Infinity and now Sketches of Brunswick East. They're fun for pure waves of noisy psychedelia and odd sounds. It's super weird, out-there stuff for fans of music that doesn't just color inside the lines. I have a lot more to get to apparently. It's like what Stereolab did for me last year.

Gravetemplar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:26 pm 

I've always had the feeling they play a lot of stuff that's pretty interesting but also that they don't really excel at anything. I'm not saying they're bad, they're obsiously talented but they release so much stuff most of it is kind of forgettable. At least the 4-5 space rock albums I've heard from them were. It's almost like they do impersonations of ther bands with their own fuzzy style of guitars. Not really that eclectic if you think about it.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:23 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
Lots of influences have been named already, but is anyone else reminded of Sleep by the vocals? And parts of Superbug wouldn't sound out of place on Dopesmoker. I'm enjoying this immensely. Definitely warrants another look at the rest of their stuff, which so far I haven't been able to get into all that much.

Stu definitely sounds like Al Cisneros yeah! And I totally agree about Superbug being great Sleep worship!

As good as Murder of the Universe and Sketches of Brunswick East is, I personally think their best album is Flying Microtonal Banana.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:30 am 

I listened to a couple of their albums in anticipation of the new one's release and it's pretty good stuff. I'd be okay with this sort of stoner thrash style being more of a thing.

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:50 am 

With that name i kinda expected boring stoner rock, but i was pleasantly surprised by the few songs i've heard from them: where should i start album-wise?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:27 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
I've always had the feeling they play a lot of stuff that's pretty interesting but also that they don't really excel at anything. I'm not saying they're bad, they're obsiously talented but they release so much stuff most of it is kind of forgettable. At least the 4-5 space rock albums I've heard from them were. It's almost like they do impersonations of ther bands with their own fuzzy style of guitars. Not really that eclectic if you think about it.

Eh I can see that but I disagree, I think they just have their own unique style and the amount of different stuff I've heard is what I'd call eclectic. It's repetitive, but the repetition is part of what makes it stand out.

BeigeToupee
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:45 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
With that name i kinda expected boring stoner rock, but i was pleasantly surprised by the few songs i've heard from them: where should i start album-wise?

It’s a total crap shoot to try to suggest anything, really. It seems the general consensus lately among fans is that their two best albums are Nonagon Infinity and Polygondwanaland, and I’d agree. Their early stuff is total 60s psychedelic/garage rock. They really came into their own with I’m In Your Mind Fuzz.

It’s a lot of stuff to listen to, but it’s well worth it to dive into this band with their release Willoughby’s Beach and move your way forward chronologically just to see how this band has evolved. Paper Mâché Dream Balloon is a solid slab of dreamy 60s psychedelic pop with disturbing lyrics and Sketches of Brunswick East is a killer jazzy collaboration with Mild High Club. Eyes Like the Sky is possibly their most underrated release. It’s a spaghetti-western concept album that gets overlooked by its narration. The narration on that album isn’t as jarring as that which appears throughout their sci-fi doomy prog epic Murder of the Universe.

If you don’t want to see the whole shebang, check out Gumboot Soup. The last album released of their five in 2017, it’s often looked upon as a total b-side list of songs that could’ve made it on any of their previous releases but just didn’t make the cut. I see it as a true door to this band as a whole, as it exhibits their prowess with truly excellent psychedelic pop and delves into sludge/doom territory with the track “The Great Chain if Being.” Or just watch their KEXP sessions. Their live shows are a force to be reckoned with, propelling most songs of theirs into and beyond the stratosphere, namely Muddy Water and The Wheel from Gumboot Soup.

Just a killer band. Seven friends making great, strange yet catchy as hell music without losing a single member. The new one is fantastic and I can’t stop listening to it. It’s almost a history lesson of metal but it still has that Gizz touch and sounds fresh. Add insanely great lyricism and it’s an awesome package.

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:51 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:

Their most "King Gizzard" album is probably I'm in Your Mind Fuzz. Otherwise Nonagon Infinity, Flying Microtonal Banana and Polygondwanaland are all good points to start.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:33 am 

Polygondwanaland is a must-hear, I'd say. It's my favorite from them. In fact, it's my favorite record of the whole 21st freakin century so far. Just a perfectly executed and endlessly fascinating and original album in every aspect.

Plus, it's public domain, so no excuses for not hearing it!!

Subverter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:21 pm 

A very enjoyable album that puts me in mind of a less contemptuous Oozing Wound. However, there are soy-guzzling numales on Bandcamp (of course) who are calling this the greatest thrash metal album since the 80's, which is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:02 pm 

Call me a heathen, but honestly this is p r o b a b l y my second-favorite thrash record of the decade. This band is just so unfairly good that everything they do, they do with such gusto and creativity. It might not be able to outthrash the big dogs, but man, if this isn't just really really good music.

It's funny, because the story-driven backbone and straightforward riffy songwriting is something I wish more modern thrash groups would try. I love thrash but I'm so! darn! sick! of the super basic thrash formula that most of the modern thrash guys employ constantly. The dry production, the samey vocals, the bad lyrics, the rehashed song structures, all of that is starting to grate on me and it makes modern thrash one of my least favorite modern metal genres. Infest the Rats' Nest, though? This is fantastic.

I'm gonna be a naughty little creacher and say that the thrash community just got schooled by a bunch of psyched-out Aussies. This album really is ridiculously good to my ears.

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:23 pm 

This album sounded to me like if...Kia or someone commissioned “thrash music” for an edgy new Sorento commercial. Honestly surprised they were let in here for it.

amelanchier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:03 pm 

Am I the only one who thought that the two posted tracks are pretty generic? They sound like a homage to the classics of the genre, which is fine as far as it goes, but I'm not hearing much new.

KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:16 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Call me a heathen, but honestly this is p r o b a b l y my second-favorite thrash record of the decade. This band is just so unfairly good that everything they do, they do with such gusto and creativity. It might not be able to outthrash the big dogs, but man, if this isn't just really really good music.

It's funny, because the story-driven backbone and straightforward riffy songwriting is something I wish more modern thrash groups would try. I love thrash but I'm so! darn! sick! of the super basic thrash formula that most of the modern thrash guys employ constantly. The dry production, the samey vocals, the bad lyrics, the rehashed song structures, all of that is starting to grate on me and it makes modern thrash one of my least favorite modern metal genres. Infest the Rats' Nest, though? This is fantastic.

Amen! It's ridiculous that nobody has emulated the real 80s sound quite like this in the past 15 years during the thrash revival. All other attempts just sound so modern in comparison whereas ITRN actually captures the genre's spirit and reproduces it in a straightforward and endearing way. Nobody else is writing riffs that catchy.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:48 pm 

Very much so agreed. It's almost like it took someone who wasn't drowning in thrash ethos to break in and produce something really and truly fresh. It's great hearing something with this riffy, punky energy but without the usual thrash stereotypes.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:42 am 

I don't think it's that good compared to the best thrash metal albums, even of the last decade - every Vektor album is better, for example - though there hasn't been a lot of good pure thrash coming out. Nor is it even that reminiscent of the 80's sound, in fact, it sounds more like thrash written in the 70's to my ears. It's just really unique with its blend of proto-doom, thrash homage and garage rock without sounding entirely gimmicky.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:20 pm 

Raindream wrote:
This album sounded to me like if...Kia or someone commissioned “thrash music” for an edgy new Sorento commercial. Honestly surprised they were let in here for it.

:getout:

Reply to topic