Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:24 pm 

I'm curious if anybody has some good stories about band members behaving like jerks on stage. I've got a few:

At a Denver show in 2010, things were going okay for Danzig until his mic went out in the middle of the set. Dude threw a tantrum, threw the mic down as hard as he could (it exploded into pieces), and as soon as he got a second working mic, he fired their sound guy right then and there lol. It was a wild thing to see, and he obviously overreacted big time. It's a live show, stuff like that happens. You'd think after 30+ years of performing he'd have handled the situation a little more gracefully. But he's a noted hothead so I guess not.

My second one's a little borderline but it's still worth sharing; back in 2011, a friend and I were front row at a D.R.I. headlining show and opening act Holley 750 had just taken the stage. There was this dude tripping hardcore on god knows what a few feet away from us. Out of nowhere, the dude started screaming at Holley 750's singer and flipping him off and just going ballistic. Then he grabbed the singer's leg in sort of a bear hug. Singer was obviously upset about that and after he got free, he proceeded to boot that son of a bitch right in the head. Drugged out man was promptly removed from the venue.

And even way more borderline than that, Stu Block of Iced Earth pointed at me and called me out in the middle of a song for not singing along to the 'whoa-oh-ohs' or whatever lol. It lasted a good 15 seconds and was kinda awkward. I didn't wanna sing! Big deal! Leave me the hell alone Stu you tryhard bitch!

Anybody else have any fun dickhead stories?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:26 pm 

KrigareTjovane wrote:
At a Denver show in 2010, things were going okay for Danzig until his mic went out in the middle of the set. Dude threw a tantrum, threw the mic down as hard as he could (it exploded into pieces), and as soon as he got a second working mic, he fired their sound guy right then and there lol. It was a wild thing to see, and he obviously overreacted big time. It's a live show, stuff like that happens. You'd think after 30+ years of performing he'd have handled the situation a little more gracefully. But he's a noted hothead so I guess not.

As somebody whose knowledge of Danzig's personality is limited to this image, this is not surprising at all.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:28 pm 

Back in 2011 I saw Suffocation, who had like 12 nameless, faceless deathcore local bands opening for them. The only one that stood out was what appeared to be a group of high school students, who came up onstage and never bothered to announce their band's name - doesn't matter, it was probably something like As the Empire Falls. Anyway, a few breakdowns...sorry, I mean "songs" later, the guitarist grabbed the mic out of the singer's hand and threw a temper tantrum, berating the sound guy because his levels weren't fixed properly. As they started their next song, he randomly jumped offstage (he had a wireless setup) and started walking around the side walkway while playing - to this day, I wonder what the hell the guy was thinking when he did that :lol:.

Another one was in 2017, my band played the Chicago Domination fest, and we stayed for the whole thing. On the last day, this godawful slam band Parasitic Ejaculation played - all the members came up looking like pre-teen pop punk kids, and played the most bog standard, generic and uninteresting slam imaginable. Then, the guitarist (who looked to be about 16) noticed one of the guys in the front row was wearing...a confederate flag bandana *gasp* and stopped the show to single out this one audience member, berating him and calling him a racist...it was incredibly awkward and cringeworthy. To be fair, I understand how someone from Cali (where that band is apparently from) not being used to seeing that shit 500 times a day like I am, but anyone who thinks a confederate flag is comparable to say, a swastika or sunwheel - and worthy of such a reaction - is at best completely delusional and out of touch, and at worst a complete fucking moron.

And finally, in this case I don't blame the band at all, but nonetheless when I saw Alice in Chains in my home town, a guy in the front row pulled out a cigarette and started blowing smoke right in William Duvall's face. Between songs, he politely asked the guy to stop saying something like "Man, I've got a gig tonight and your smoke is fucking me up, please put it out", but the guy didn't give a shit and just kept on doing it over and over again and eventually Duvall just fucking snapped and started screaming at him, and lead the whole audience to scream "FUCK YOU" at the guy :lol:. I felt bad for Duvall but it was really funny to see, but he put on an absolutely amazing performance so thankfully it didn't effect him much, at least as far as I could tell.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:22 am 

Dave Mustaine, staggering drunk and opening for Dio in 1987 and barely able to speak let alone play, and yelling "Fuck you" to the obviously unimpressed crowd. Dave Mustaine going on one of his political tirades saying how the Connecticut school shooting was faked so they would pass gun control, or going on one of his political tirades and saying equally stupid and controversial shit. Dave Mustaine going on one of his cussing tirades in front of the Bad Brains, who told him politely to tone it down, which had the opposite effect, and at which point the dude from the Cro Mags steps in and almost kicks his ass. Dave Mustaine...ah fuck I could go on all night about that guy.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:05 am 

Dave Mustaine saying hilarious but incendiary shit like "I liked it when Tom Araya sucked my dick!" and "That Queensryche guitarist kinda looks like Jamie Lee Curtis".

Speaking of the 'Ryche, there's the unforgettable spectacle of Geoff Tate spitting on his band mates and taunting them on stage. Fates Warning, their support act were horrified and traumatized.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:40 am 

Is there video clip of Geoff spitting?

I can admit I was a fucking jerk to my drummer on stage once, even tho it wasn't intentional.
He's a fantastic drummer.
He missed a cymbal hit in the middle of a pause and I turned around pointed "fuck you" to him, however it was really just my way of saying "ok, let's have a laugh about that mistake and move on".
However the "joke" didn't translate well in the heat of the gig :lol:
Oh well I explained myself afterwards and all is good. I learned if I have to point my fingers when somebody makes a mistake, I'm gonna do it with a thumbs up and a smile instead :D

I can't imagine somebody being SPIT upon being good afterwards?
Let me hear that story. :lol:

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:51 am 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:

Actually it worked quite well. They're being spit upon, they fire Geoff Tate, they're good afterwards.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:59 am 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:

I can admit I was a fucking jerk to my drummer on stage once, even tho it wasn't intentional.
He missed a cymbal hit in the middle of a pause and I turned around pointed "fuck you" to him, however it was really just my way of saying "ok, let's have a laugh about that mistake and move on".
Oh well I explained myself afterwards and all is good. I learned if I have to point my fingers when somebody makes a mistake, I'm gonna do it with a thumbs up and a smile instead :D

Here is the clip, it supposedly happens at 3:58 but it's hard to make out because the video is so low quality. Basically, it happened because Rockenfield and the others were trying to take back control of the band from Tate and had fired his wife as the band's manager. Tate's version of events was that he was told "We just fired your whole family, now we're going to fire you." There's also a few other classic ridiculous "asshole moments" Tate pulled around that time, like throwing a fan's phone, and telling the crowd "you suck".

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:24 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
KrigareTjovane wrote:

As somebody whose knowledge of Danzig's personality is limited to this image, this is not surprising at all.

Danzig is a massive asshole, definitely the worst I've dealt with. No pictures allowed at all, anywhere, by anyone except for maybe official photographers. He also kicks EVERYONE out of the backstage area 15 minutes before his set. His crew were awesome to me and my band, but were constantly telling us to watch ourselves so he wouldn't kick us out. That show he also took so long on his soundcheck that it set everyone else back by like 30-ish minutes, so all we got was a line check, literally just making sure the mics worked.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:34 am 

Mike Portnoy, Barrie Ontario 2003 completely lost it mid song, stood up and started rocking his huge gong back and forth trying to knock it over. He was yelling and pointing at the monitor guy to the side of the stage. Probably had something to do with the mix in his monitor, but it was awkward and came off like a huge temper tantrum.

Non-Metal:
I was there for this, it was super awkward. Damien Jurado opening for Jason Isbell in 2015: The first 30 seconds or so of his rant aren't on the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43B5iI8lQ8I

Being in a packed super quiet theatre, this felt WAY longer than 2 minutes. It was so uncomfortable. When we were leaving the venue after Isbell, Damien was standing in the lobby WITH the fan who was talking, and they were having a beer together and took a photo. I guess they both apologized to each other.

at the gaytes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:42 am 

KrigareTjovane wrote:
And even way more borderline than that, Stu Block of Iced Earth pointed at me and called me out in the middle of a song for not singing along to the 'whoa-oh-ohs' or whatever lol. It lasted a good 15 seconds and was kinda awkward. I didn't wanna sing! Big deal! Leave me the hell alone Stu you tryhard bitch!

Was this caught on video?

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:06 pm 

Well, this happened at Reverb in my home town: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpwDj3oXo-o

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell
RIP DIO

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:05 pm 

This was back in like... 2003, I believe? A shitty local black metal band, Anhkrehg, was opening for Vintersorg. They had sound problems, apparently, and the frontman, some douchey skinhead, constantly berated the "sound guy" petulantly. At the end of their set, he yelled out the following in what I presume he thought was some "mic drop" moment (but he just came across as a huge fucking tool):
"Fuck Jews, fuck Christians... and fuck YOU, sound guy!"
:lol:

Oxenkiller wrote:
Dave Mustaine going on one of his political tirades saying how the Connecticut school shooting was faked so they would pass gun control, or going on one of his political tirades and saying equally stupid and controversial shit.

Mustaine being some right-wing tool is nothing new, but being a Sandy Hook truther is really low. Fuck every single one of those assholes, especially if he's peddling that nonsense in his live shows.

KrigareTjovane wrote:

lol WTF. I'd say that definitely counts. Sometimes I wanna sing along, sometimes I don't, and fuck anyone trying to shame me hah.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:19 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Dave Mustaine going on one of his political tirades saying how the Connecticut school shooting was faked so they would pass gun control.

You heard him say this at a show? Where and what year?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:28 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Oxenkiller wrote:
Dave Mustaine going on one of his political tirades saying how the Connecticut school shooting was faked so they would pass gun control.

Dave has done interviews and has been on TV (including Fox News) to spout this shit. It isn't inconceivable to think he would do this at his own shows.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:58 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:
Oxenkiller wrote:

Dave has done interviews and has been on TV (including Fox News) to spout this shit. It isn't inconceivable to think he would do this at his own shows.

That doesn't make it a fact that it happened either. If you know where and when he said this at a show, I'd love to see it.

Methuen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:05 pm 

Not sure of assholery, or overreacting -

Someone chucked a ball of paper at the Trivium frontwoman. When I say ball of paper, I mean it was probably a receipt from the bar screwed up and flicked. He promptly stopped the show, had security hop around the barrier & harass some kid in the pit. After many minutes faffing with this kid, he was removed, we got a chest-beating harangue from Trivium bloke about respect and blah blah blah, and the show carried on.

Trivium were supporting Iron Maiden in a massive arena. One of those crowds where (in the words of the Parkway5 bloke) "the first ten rows stand their with their arms folded waiting for you to get off"

Way to endear yourselves to your audience, guys !

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:15 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Oxenkiller wrote:

I believe it was at an overseas concert, in either Singapore or Kuala Lumpur- somewhere over in southeast Asia. actually it was in Singapore, here's a link to the article.

https://loudwire.com/megadeth-dave-must ... massacres/

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:42 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:
Oxenkiller wrote:

I believe it was at an overseas concert, in either Singapore or Kuala Lumpur- somewhere over in southeast Asia. actually it was in Singapore, here's a link to the article.

Thanks!

KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:06 am 

at the gaytes wrote:
KrigareTjovane wrote:

Was this caught on video?

I bet not but you never know. It'd be good fun to see a video of it though haha

Necrobiotik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:56 am 

true_death wrote:
Rocka_Rollas wrote:

Here is the clip, it supposedly happens at 3:58 but it's hard to make out because the video is so low quality. Basically, it happened because Rockenfield and the others were trying to take back control of the band from Tate and had fired his wife as the band's manager. Tate's version of events was that he was told "We just fired your whole family, now we're going to fire you." There's also a few other classic ridiculous "asshole moments" Tate pulled around that time, like throwing a fan's phone, and telling the crowd "you suck".

Whoa didn't knew it was in Brazil. The phone incident was clearly with bad intention too in my view,but the Halford's kick had the opposite repercussion. Go Figure.

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:23 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
KrigareTjovane wrote:

I wouldnt be surprised if Glenn has some kinda undiagnosed mental/behavioral condition....

299796kms
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:58 pm 

BURlAL wrote:
MutantClannfear wrote:
KrigareTjovane wrote:

I wouldnt be surprised if Glenn has some kinda undiagnosed mental/behavioral condition....

It's called being an asshole

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:08 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:

Even more bizarre that he'd do this overseas. Like Singaporeans give a fuck about his unhinged US politics lol... like we needed any more evidence that Dave is completely bonkers.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:10 am 

Morrigan wrote:
This was back in like... 2003, I believe? A shitty local black metal band, Anhkrehg, was opening for Vintersorg. They had sound problems, apparently, and the frontman, some douchey skinhead, constantly berated the "sound guy" petulantly. At the end of their set, he yelled out the following in what I presume he thought was some "mic drop" moment (but he just came across as a huge fucking tool):
"Fuck Jews, fuck Christians... and fuck YOU, sound guy!"
:lol:
:nono: What an embarrassing idiot. I hope he or his shite band never played anywhere again.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:17 am 

Just sounds like one of those Thornspawn-types who don't know the (admittedly not huge) difference between black metal and pro wrestling.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:57 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
:nono: What an embarrassing idiot. I hope he or his shite band never played anywhere again.

Pretty sure they're long split-up, lol. Just another dime a dozen shitty Québécois BM band...

Oh, I also forgot to mention, but he had the lamest corpsepaint ever. It was literally just a huge black X on his white-face. Like, what. :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:44 am 

I want the Fuck Jews guy to fight Dave Mustaine.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:38 am 

I've seen Manowar live.

Joey got a girl onstage as usual, trying to get her to show her tits to the audience, "you are very beautiful, I want to fuck you", then a another kid with a Sepultura shirt (Beneath the Remains) was ordered to take it off because it was false metal (gave him a Manowar one), "play well and I'll let you fuck her" (she was gesturing no, quite awkward for all parties involved) and generally it was one of the most cringey performances I had ever seen. They played well enough (esp. Eric was stupendously good) but only played 10 songs (they were headlining a festival...) and spent the rest of the time on ridiculous shit like the above or breaking strings or playing "epic outros" ((ie noise) on all songs for full minutes...

Vic's Dungeon:

The Best of 2017

Best of 2016- The sloppiest list on the web

Remember the Fallen: Paul Baloff (Exodus), Keith Deen (Holy Terror)

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:38 pm 

I'm not sure if anyone knows them but this two-man (back then, and the drummer was a woman) black metal band from Argentina, Infernal Curse played a gig here in Manila, Philippines. They came late, didn't do a soundcheck and just proceeded to just drink beer and sell merch before their set. Also, they didn't bring their own instruments and had to borrow the guitar of one of the opening bands (who was also a gig organizer). They even had a local bass player to session for them.

Anyways, during their set, there was this annoying noise from the sound system that bothered Erik (the frontman). He pointed out to the soundman. But the annoying sound system persisted throughout their set. Four of five songs into their set and Erik had enough and threw the guitar he borrowed to the mike stand, stormed off the stage and stopped the gig right there. It was understandable he was pissed off at the poor sound but he totally lost it to the point that he forgot he flung the guitar he borrowed. It would've helped if he did some soundcheck before the gig as well.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:35 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
I've seen Manowar live.

Joey got a girl onstage as usual, trying to get her to show her tits to the audience, "you are very beautiful, I want to fuck you", then a another kid with a Sepultura shirt (Beneath the Remains) was ordered to take it off because it was false metal (gave him a Manowar one), "play well and I'll let you fuck her" (she was gesturing no, quite awkward for all parties involved) and generally it was one of the most cringey performances I had ever seen. They played well enough (esp. Eric was stupendously good) but only played 10 songs (they were headlining a festival...) and spent the rest of the time on ridiculous shit like the above or breaking strings or playing "epic outros" ((ie noise) on all songs for full minutes...

Fuckin' disaster man!

LycanthropeMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:38 pm 

Well, the members of this awful deathcore band called King Conquer started hitting on my underage sister once. To be fair, they probably didn't realize she was underage at the time, but it still disgusted me. The only reason we went was because friends of ours were in other bands that were playing that show anyway - we certainly didn't go for them.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:47 pm 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
Well, the members of this awful deathcore band called King Conquer started hitting on my underage sister once. To be fair, they probably didn't realize she was underage at the time, but it still disgusted me. The only reason we went was because friends of ours were in other bands that were playing that show anyway - we certainly didn't go for them.

Their now-deceased lead guitarist was legendary for being one of the biggest scumbags in the industry. I've heard boatloads of stories about all the shit that John Byrd pulled. You know you're a piece of shit when your bandmates throw you and your belongings out of the van on the side of the highway and tell you to start walking.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:55 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Just sounds like one of those Thornspawn-types who don't know the (admittedly not huge) difference between black metal and pro wrestling.

:lol: spot on.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:27 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
I've seen Manowar live.

Calling Beneath the Remains "false metal" may be the most unintentionally hilarious thing a metal musician has ever said.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:52 pm 

It's true though, Beneath the Remains is lacking the 24-minute ride cymbal solo followed by 47 minutes of guitar squeals and motorcycle noises to be considered true metal.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:03 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
I've seen Manowar live.

I haven't seen Manowar live but a friend of mine did and they did the exact same thing here in Sweden :lol:

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:12 pm 

Once at a show in Cincinnati Dave went off and said that a person who help set up the stage was an idiot and deserved to be fired. I'm not sure what happened or why, but knowing Dave it was probably blown out of proportion over some minor thing. The show managed to go on, so it's not like it was a catastrophic failure (even if the concert itself was just sorta meeeeeh at most).

MyrVarg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:18 pm 

Methuen wrote:
Not sure of assholery, or overreacting -

Someone chucked a ball of paper at the Trivium frontwoman. When I say ball of paper, I mean it was probably a receipt from the bar screwed up and flicked. He promptly stopped the show, had security hop around the barrier & harass some kid in the pit. After many minutes faffing with this kid, he was removed, we got a chest-beating harangue from Trivium bloke about respect and blah blah blah, and the show carried on.

Trivium were supporting Iron Maiden in a massive arena. One of those crowds where (in the words of the Parkway5 bloke) "the first ten rows stand their with their arms folded waiting for you to get off"

Way to endear yourselves to your audience, guys !

"Frontwoman". Really?

CheesusCrust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:20 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
I've seen Manowar live.

Gotta love the rampant misogyny of Manowar.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next