Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subterranean_voice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:28 pm 

Hey, I have seen the term Digipack being thrown around, I don't know what this term really means. Is it a normal CD? or is it in some way, shape, or form special? Thanks!

I don't know why the dumbest fucking things get posted in the forum for intelligent discussion.

jugchord07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:30 pm 

I think digipack refers to the case the cd comes in, not sure though

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:34 pm 

It means it's sort of a cardboard case instead of a hard plastic case that latches.

Subterranean_voice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:35 pm 

King_Hands wrote:
It means it's sort of a cardboard case instead of a hard plastic case that latches.

Ah! Thank You. Would the Re-issues of Amon Amarth be considered Digi-packs? or Behemoth's Evangellion, since it is cardboard? or is it only stuff like Lunar Strain and Terminal Spirit Disease styled stuff.

I don't know why the dumbest fucking things get posted in the forum for intelligent discussion.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:37 pm 

There are usually digipak and jewel case versions of most albums, I find.

boneexposed
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:37 pm 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digipak

http://www.last.fm/user/ArnusProfanus

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:53 pm 

Subterranean_voice wrote:
King_Hands wrote:

Ah! Thank You. Would the Re-issues of Amon Amarth be considered Digi-packs? or Behemoth's Evangellion, since it is cardboard? or is it only stuff like Lunar Strain and Terminal Spirit Disease styled stuff.

I don't own the re-issues, but if it's cardboard, I think it's a digipack.

Mateilkrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:57 pm 

hmm, I was always under the impression that a digipak signified there was some kind of extended content on it. Especially since several CDs I have with bonus content are in jewel cases, and vice versa.

https://auxeptheon.bandcamp.com/releases

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:58 pm 

King_Hands wrote:

The formers are digipaks and the laters slipcases.

IdiotFlesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:03 pm 

Way better than jewel cases is what they are.

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:05 pm 

IdiotFlesh wrote:

I seriously hope this is sarcasm. I would take jewel cases any day or digipacks.

~Guest 139804
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:42 pm 

I think digipacks look much better, tbh. If there's an album with both a jewel case and a digipack version, but with no difference in content, I'd take the digipack any day of the week.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:44 pm 

IdiotFlesh wrote:

I'd rather Have a jewel case that I can place into a slot than i pointlessly bulky digipack.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:51 pm 

Well, digipaks don't shatter into literal pieces like the case for my Gravity of Light CD did upon me trying to open it to get the CD out.

Leperous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:04 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Well, digipaks don't shatter into literal pieces like the case for my Gravity of Light CD did upon me trying to open it to get the CD out.

My jewel cases shatter into figurative pieces when they break, so consider yourself lucky.
He didn't talk for 16 years?! WOW!

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:07 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

My only complaint with jewel cases is when other people don't know how to treat them properly. Which is frustrating because usually I order online, and even when you buy in a store, they somehow end up cracked.

Still, I hate that the edges of digipacks always get destroyed no matter how well you treat them. Also, the spines of Jewel cases are much better I find. Especially when viewing them in a collection.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:17 pm 

Those super jewel cases are very durable.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:20 pm 

boneexposed wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digipak

Good to see that page has been updated with actually useful information. It used to just contain talking point type babble that didn't do anything to actually describe what a digipack is.

As for the debate in general: digipacks look pretty nice most of the time but I really don't like them because they get worn out faster. Plus, stickers on a digipack is the work of Satan (and not the cool kind, either). It also really bugs me that digipack versions sometimes get exclusive bonus tracks.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:27 pm 

Mysticaloldbard wrote:
Those super jewel cases are very durable.

They're only fragile when mistreated. A lump of folded cardboard sure isn't much better in terms of durability.

NonEsDignus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:41 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Plus, stickers on a digipack is the work of Satan (and not the cool kind, either).

Oh dear god, I would die. I get frustrated enough when they put a sticker directly on a jewel case.

I prefer digipacks, myself, I think they look nice and they make an album feel more 'special' to me, I guess because it isn't just a generic plastic package with the applicable paper slips put in. Given the choice between the two I will always take the digipack. I don't worry too much about the wear and tear - usually once I get a CD it gets put on the shelf and almost never taken out (I listen to all my music from my computer or mp3 player). Even if I did use them more, I wouldn't be too concerned - I don't really intend to sell CDs I get as I never buy CDs that I haven't already heard and loved, and if it is just for myself I don't mind a bit of wear - if anything it adds a little character to it.

2ndComing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:52 pm 

NonEsDignus wrote:
I don't worry too much about the wear and tear - usually once I get a CD it gets put on the shelf and almost never taken out (I listen to all my music from my computer or mp3 player). Even if I did use them more, I wouldn't be too concerned - I don't really intend to sell CDs I get as I never buy CDs that I haven't already heard and loved, and if it is just for myself I don't mind a bit of wear - if anything it adds a little character to it.

No offense, but I don't understand people who buy CDs, but never listen to them. If you're buying for the artwork, vinyl looks a lot cooler to me. Buying and never using them is only just above buying an mp3 as far as pointlessness goes.

And I think digipaks blow hard. Got a Police digipak and the damn disk holder broke as I was trying to remove the CD.

NonEsDignus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:01 pm 

2ndComing wrote:
NonEsDignus wrote:
I don't worry too much about the wear and tear - usually once I get a CD it gets put on the shelf and almost never taken out (I listen to all my music from my computer or mp3 player). Even if I did use them more, I wouldn't be too concerned - I don't really intend to sell CDs I get as I never buy CDs that I haven't already heard and loved, and if it is just for myself I don't mind a bit of wear - if anything it adds a little character to it.

No offense, but I don't understand people who buy CDs, but never listen to them. If you're buying for the artwork, vinyl looks a lot cooler to me. Buying and never using them is only just above buying an mp3 as far as pointlessness goes.

And I think digipaks blow hard. Got a Police digipak and the damn disk holder broke as I was trying to remove the CD.

Well I am buying it to support the artists that I like, so whether or not I listen to the physical representation of the album isn't really that relevant. I could buy vinyl I suppose, but that is often more expensive, I do have one vinyl though. Also, I like to think that someday when I am done with college, I might have the money to afford a nice sound system, in which case I would rip all my CDs to lossless on a media center. And thirdly, I suppose I have stuck with CDs for solidarity - I have always had CDs, so that's what I kept getting, I'm pretty young.

Subterranean_voice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:41 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

My only complaint with jewel cases is when other people don't know how to treat them properly. Which is frustrating because usually I order online, and even when you buy in a store, they somehow end up cracked.

Still, I hate that the edges of digipacks always get destroyed no matter how well you treat them. Also, the spines of Jewel cases are much better I find. Especially when viewing them in a collection.

I HATE when they come broken... Almost every CD I own has SOMETHING wrong with the jewel case...some almost unoticable, some large cracks, chips -_- ... I prefer my cardboard so I guess I'll order Digi now that I know what it is since corners scruffed looks better than a shattered case.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:45 pm 

2ndComing wrote:
NonEsDignus wrote:

Buying an MP3 player is only pointless if you don't want to have portable music, or don't want to be able to choose from dozens of albums at a time while doing so.

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:56 pm 

sortalikeadream wrote:
Buying an MP3 player is only pointless if you don't want to have portable music, or don't want to be able to choose from dozens of albums at a time while doing so.

Well, then I suppose its a good thing he said buying MP3's is pointless, and not buying an MP3 PLAYER.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:57 pm 

I HATE when they come broken... Almost every CD I own has SOMETHING wrong with the jewel case...some almost unoticable, some large cracks, chips -_- ... I prefer my cardboard so I guess I'll order Digi now that I know what it is since corners scruffed looks better than a shattered case.

...But you can just replace a broken jewel case. If the cardboard on a digipack gets worn or bent or the corners wear down or a sticker rips off half the cover art or the plastic tray starts peeling up or the CD-holding spokes break...you're fucked.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Subterranean_voice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:58 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:

...But you can just replace a broken jewel case. If the cardboard on a digipack gets worn or bent or the corners wear down or a sticker rips off half the cover art or the plastic tray starts peeling up or the CD-holding spokes break...you're fucked.

I'm an idiot...I actually never thought about doing that...I didn't think the back could open up on most...how do I open it?

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:01 pm 

I'm an idiot...I actually never thought about doing that...I didn't think the back could open up on most...how do I open it?

Tell me you're kidding.

MetalHeadNorm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:19 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:

You just pull it out of the little sockets. Buy a 20 pack of spares or whatever and take 30 seconds to take one apart. It might be tricky for a moment, but the actual process of transporting a CD with insert and booklet to a new jewel case is quite easy and can be done in under a minute or two after you've done it once.

Ohh... and I hate digipacks. Well, They're not that bad, but standard issues are much preferred.

What do you mean by that? How quickly I reply?

james1902009
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:30 pm 

instead of the CD being in a jewel case, it's in kind of a cardboard "case". google to get images. beats jewel case in that the case doesn't scratch easily, doesn't get fingerprints, and is harder to break.

Acidgobblin
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:54 pm 

I still don't understand what the "digi" part stands for...

DunnRiffHorror_EHSB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:55 pm 

MetalHeadNorm wrote:
You just pull it out of the little sockets. Buy a 20 pack of spares or whatever and take 30 seconds to take one apart. It might be tricky for a moment, but the actual process of transporting a CD with insert and booklet to a new jewel case is quite easy and can be done in under a minute or two after you've done it once.

Yeah. I work at a record store and do this exact practice all the time. Cracked jewel cases annoy me, so I make sure to do it to my own CD's as well.

Both jewel cases and digipacks have their pros and cons. I am a fan of digipacks, though. Most of the time, they're nicer to look at.

There was also one time where I explained the difference between a digipack and a jewel case to some older woman at an FYE. She thought I worked there, but I was just browsing. However, I don't mind sharing my music nerd-dom with others. Would've have done it here, but 10 people beat me to it.

todesengel89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:04 am 

Opeth's first pressings of Deliverance, Damnation and a few others all came in digipak (correct me if im wrong) while their reissues are in crystal CD case.

i personally like digipaks cos it looks nicer but over time it yellows and stuff.

but crystal cases are more convenient since any broken cases can easily be replaced. unlike one of the Vader digipaks that i received, was badly handled when shipping and the damage was not reparable unless i bought a new one. i also accidentally tore an anthelion digipak front cover and now its held together by tape. was kinda shitty.

overall each has its pros and cons. i try to get both editions if possible (and if im filling rich enough, haha!)

edit: there are also digibooks and stuff like that around now right? just adds to the confusion haha!
Heavy Metal Tribune #007 feat. Paradise Lost, Rogga Johansson, Riti Occulti, Antin Graham & Nepente!

Last edited by todesengel89 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Subterranean_voice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:06 am 

DunnRiffHorror_EHSB wrote:
MetalHeadNorm wrote:

Yeah. I work at a record store and do this exact practice all the time. Cracked jewel cases annoy me, so I make sure to do it to my own CD's as well.

Both jewel cases and digipacks have their pros and cons. I am a fan of digipacks, though. Most of the time, they're nicer to look at.

There was also one time where I explained the difference between a digipack and a jewel case to some older woman at an FYE. She thought I worked there, but I was just browsing. However, I don't mind sharing my music nerd-dom with others. Would've have done it here, but 10 people beat me to it.

I wish my music store changed them...half of their's are busted. About how much do Jewel Cases cost?

DunnRiffHorror_EHSB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:16 am 

MetalHeadNorm wrote:

I wish my music store changed them...half of their's are busted. About how much do Jewel Cases cost?

Not much at all. We sell them for 59 cents a piece. If you're buying 100 or more at a time, I'd say they cost between 10 and 30 cents each. Look around online.

Subterranean_voice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:17 am 

Not much at all. We sell them for 59 cents a piece. If you're buying 100 or more at a time, I'd say they cost between 10 and 30 cents each. Look around online.

Lol buy them online for them to all come shattered XD , but ya I'll look for an average price for them, thanks for the help :)

AmishFury
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:35 am 

what digipak is is quite simply the plastic tray attached to cardboard

the cardboard can be done many different ways from simply folding directly over the tray to countless panels folding in any conceivable fashion to even something more box-like... it can also hold multiple discs by adding extra trays to the package design

a few examples i happened to have handy

first a simple 2 disc packaging showing one of the most common ways to hold a booklet

next we have some single disc digipaks one with a booklet one with the liner notes printed on extra panels

now for what is sometimes referred to as a "clam box" or something similar but technically is still a digipak...

and finally these are sometimes erroneously referred to as digipaks but since they lack the plastic tray they are not

Subterranean_voice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:39 am 

Wow! AmishFury, thanks for all the examples! really cleared up any lingering questions I had, thanks!

Acidgobblin
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:40 am 

Yes, but why the term "digi"?? It just doesn't seem to mean anything...

NonEsDignus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:52 am 

Acidgobblin wrote:
Yes, but why the term "digi"?? It just doesn't seem to mean anything...

Well the Wikipedia article says that it is a trademarked name from the company who started them, so I assume it was picked to sound 'modern' and 'futuristic,' just a marketing term.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next