Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:58 am 

I haven't seen a topic for this here (which is really surprising) so I figured I would make one in hopes to get a discussion going on the lineup or maybe people from M-A could meet up at show dates or something.

Lineup:

Twilight of the Gods
Ensiferum
Equilibrium
Swashbuckle
Heidevolk

Extended Show Special Guests:
Eisregen
Varg

Dates:
http://www.heidenfest.eu/dates.html

See here ^

So, thoughts? I'm really surprised TotG is doing this, I figured it would be a couple festivals thing and that's it, not a headlining European tour. Also Swashbuckle above Heidevolk..?

Anyone else planning on attending? I'm gonna happen to be in England during the time this hits London so I'll be attending that show at the Electric Ballroom.

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:29 am 

Why can't something as awesome as this hit America, particularly the Southeast.. :p

But seriously, that's killer.. with the exception of Swashbuckle, what the hell?! They really don't belong on this lineup..

Thrasher4life
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:41 am 

BlashyrkhMR101 wrote:
Twilight of the Gods

Not really to do with the OP but can someone give me some info on this band? I've seen them talked about a bit on MA and they dont seem to be on the Archives. Thanks!

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:41 am 

They seem perfectly suited to it if you ask me. Bunch of generic folk metal bands playing a gig in one of the country's most out of touch with it's folk histories.
Hehe, foreskins.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:22 am 

im seriously interested and only because of Twilight of the Gods, i mean this is the closest thing to bathory live ever.

YesIam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:30 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
im seriously interested and only because of Twilight of the Gods, i mean this is the closest thing to bathory live ever.

Fuck yeah! And hearing Alan sing Bathory songs must be beyond amazing. Saw a videoclip of an interview with them not too long ago where you could also hear some parts, and it sounded amazing. Alan is by far my favourite vocalist together with Quorthon so hearing him sing viking-era Bathory was just huge. Good stuff!

Anglo_Saxon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:52 am 

Crick wrote:
one of the country's most out of touch with it's folk histories.
I hope you're not refering to England when you wrote that, because if so, you're wrong. Very wrong.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:31 am 

I don't think I'll be going. A venue they're performing at is only 15 minutes away (by bycicle) from my house, but most of those bands really aren't my cup of tea. Heidevolk is, though, and they're awesome to see live. Very enjoyable to bluster lyrics in Dutch for a change. I don't think it'll be worth it, though, to buy a ticket just for them.

kimiwind
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:37 am 

Duisterling wrote:
I don't think I'll be going. A venue they're performing at is only 15 minutes away (by bycicle) from my house, but most of those bands really aren't my cup of tea. Heidevolk is, though, and they're awesome to see live. Very enjoyable to bluster lyrics in Dutch for a change. I don't think it'll be worth it, though, to buy a ticket just for them.

Ensiferum, Equilibrium ???
Wow those are decent bands man!

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:39 am 

kimiwind wrote:
Ensiferum, Equilibrium ???
Wow those are decent bands man!

Sure, I won't deny they're decent bands and I can see why folks like 'em, but they just don't appeal to me :P

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:09 am 

The_Boss wrote:
But seriously, that's killer.. with the exception of Swashbuckle, what the hell?! They really don't belong on this lineup..

This is one of the reasons why I can't take these Paganfest/Heidenfest things seriously. What does "pirate metal" have to do with paganism/heathenism?

It would be nice to see the rest of the bands, though. I've never heard of Twilight of the Gods, but I imagine the others would be worth seeing live.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:57 am 

samekh wrote:
The_Boss wrote:

This is one of the reasons why I can't take these Paganfest/Heidenfest things seriously. What does "pirate metal" have to do with paganism/heathenism?

The Vikings and Norsemen were pirates, although definitions are always debatable. More seriously: it might have got something to do with Alestorm closing the gap a little between pirates and folk metal?

LordOminous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:18 pm 

Duisterling wrote:
samekh wrote:
The_Boss wrote:

The Vikings and Norsemen were pirates, although definitions are always debatable. More seriously: it might have got something to do with Alestorm closing the gap a little between pirates and folk metal?

Nah, it's cos Swashbuckle have a really good manager who has a long working relationship with RTN (the company who runs paganfest), and so can push them on to loads of bills. It's only called paganfest cos the folk metal scenekids in plastic viking helmets lap up that shit.

NecroSonata
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:19 pm 

Yeah I want to go to this at the Electric Ballroom. Mostly for Twilight of the Gods, but I do have a soft spot for Ensiferum and Equilibrium. And anyway all this folkish nonsense is good fun live, from my past experiences.

Plus just gave these Heidevolk chaps a listen, and it'll be good too. Liking the epic clean vocals, makes me think of Tyr. Though they're no Tyr.

SleepingStar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:20 pm 

oooh didn't realise TOTG had been added - was only half debating going, but definitely will be at the London show now!

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:59 pm 

It's not necessarily the theme of Swashbuckle's music, because obviously that's the main reason they got pushed onto this bill - but there music isn't folk in any way possible. It's like death/thrash last time I checked.. what the fuck!

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:18 pm 

Thrasher4life wrote:
BlashyrkhMR101 wrote:
Twilight of the Gods

Not really to do with the OP but can someone give me some info on this band? I've seen them talked about a bit on MA and they dont seem to be on the Archives. Thanks!

They're a Bathory tribute band with Alan of Primordial, Nick Barker, Blasphemer, one of the guys from Einherjer and one of the guys from Thyrfing. Doing mostly viking metal stuff I assume since I don't think Alan does harsh vocals.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:03 pm 

BlashyrkhMR101 wrote:
Thrasher4life wrote:
BlashyrkhMR101 wrote:
Twilight of the Gods

They're a Bathory tribute band with Alan of Primordial, Nick Barker, Blasphemer, one of the guys from Einherjer and one of the guys from Thyrfing. Doing mostly viking metal stuff I assume since I don't think Alan does harsh vocals.

He most certainly does. I watched a video of them performing Blood Fire Death and he did the harsh vocals perfectly.

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:52 pm 

Razakel wrote:
BlashyrkhMR101 wrote:
Thrasher4life wrote:
BlashyrkhMR101 wrote:
Twilight of the Gods

He most certainly does. I watched a video of them performing Blood Fire Death and he did the harsh vocals perfectly.

Then I stand corrected. Fantastic if they do both viking and black metal stuff...

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:00 pm 

actually even on the newest primordial album there are still some harsh vocals here and there.

DawnOfEternity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:03 pm 

Anybody has the setlist for the Metalfest gig(s)?

I found this on youtube but don't know how reliable it is:
"I was concert in Hungary yesterday, it was fucking great!!! Songs: Blood Fire Death, A Fine Day To Die, Valhalla, Home Of Once Brave, Father To Son, Under The Runes (!!!), One Eyed Old Man, Hammerheart (not live!)..."

I'd like to know if they'll play something of the first 3 (or 4) albums, cause that's what I'm mainly interested in.

NecroSonata
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:18 pm 

Yeah if they play stuff from Blood Fire Death and Hammerheart I'll die happy.

Preferably A Fine Day to Die and One Rode to Asa Bay.

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:07 pm 

NecroSonata wrote:
One Rode to Asa Bay.

This, as the encore, would possibly make my metal life complete.

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 2:48 am 

Apologies for the double post but wanted to add that if anyone else here is attending the London show please send me a PM, I'm going practically by myself and would be nice to hang out with some other folks, instead of trying to meet total strangers.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.