Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:56 pm 

Ice_As_Steel wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Ice_As_Steel wrote:
Guys citing womens' lower muscle mass seem to be missing the point that an inability to defend themselves from more muscular men is still largely a cultural thing. A 300 pound muscular behemoth who fights like a fifth grader could easilly get his ass kicked by a 150 pound blackbelt woman. Most women don't learn how to use the strength they do have to any meaningful effect.

I don't think that is the scenario anyone has contention with. What I believe they are saying is that a 150 lb Male black belt would have a genetic advantage over a 150 lb Female black belt because of the muscle mass. There's nothing cultural about that, though one must say there are "always" exceptions to the rule, however an exception does not make the rule.

How many black belts go out raping? Not many, I'd suspect. The mentality required to train hard and focus one's mind that goes into excelling in martial arts is rather at odds with the mentality to go out and commit rape.

I don't think being a serial killer or serial rapist has any bearing on someones ability to excel at martial arts. I mean of course the ideology is at odds.. but hell after reading all that "white" or "unblack" metal shit... I think most people have the luxury of cognitive dissonance don't they?

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:56 pm 

EntilZha wrote:
Byrain wrote:
AstralCorpse wrote:
Strangling someone takes longer than you think. They don't just pass out right away, it takes 20-30 seconds.

Even if it were a few seconds though, that would still be enough time to utilize all of one's strength.

20-30 seconds for someone who doesn't know what they are doing and attempts to crush the windpipe seems reasonable. Though, you are forgetting about the arteries on the neck.

I'm no expert on the terminology, but doesn't strangling actually specifically imply the arteries on the neck, while the windpipe thingy would be asphyxiation?

Perhaps, I am no expert on terminology myself. I was referring to specific techniques that require pressure be placed on certain points (The arteries are one such example) rather then just grabbing a person's neck and squeezing.

AstralCorpse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:14 pm 

Byrain wrote:
AstralCorpse wrote:
Strangling someone takes longer than you think. They don't just pass out right away, it takes 20-30 seconds.

Even if it were a few seconds though, that would still be enough time to utilize all of one's strength.

20-30 seconds for someone who doesn't know what they are doing and attempts to crush the windpipe seems reasonable. Though, you are forgetting about the arteries on the neck.

Once you've crushed someone's wind pipe, you're free to get up and wait for them to asphyxiate; it's definitely the faster way to do things, but it is also extremely hard to do in a struggle with someone of comparable size. Attacking the arteries of the neck is, as Entilzha pointed out, what I was referring to by strangulation (or some form of "choke hold").

Ice_As_Steel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:58 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
Ice_As_Steel wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Ice_As_Steel wrote:
Guys citing womens' lower muscle mass seem to be missing the point that an inability to defend themselves from more muscular men is still largely a cultural thing. A 300 pound muscular behemoth who fights like a fifth grader could easilly get his ass kicked by a 150 pound blackbelt woman. Most women don't learn how to use the strength they do have to any meaningful effect.

I don't think that is the scenario anyone has contention with. What I believe they are saying is that a 150 lb Male black belt would have a genetic advantage over a 150 lb Female black belt because of the muscle mass. There's nothing cultural about that, though one must say there are "always" exceptions to the rule, however an exception does not make the rule.

How many black belts go out raping? Not many, I'd suspect. The mentality required to train hard and focus one's mind that goes into excelling in martial arts is rather at odds with the mentality to go out and commit rape.

I don't think being a serial killer or serial rapist has any bearing on someones ability to excel at martial arts. I mean of course the ideology is at odds.. but hell after reading all that "white" or "unblack" metal shit... I think most people have the luxury of cognitive dissonance don't they?

In general, perhaps not as much as you may think regarding these things. Despite what you see in movies and TV shows where the sociopathic serial killer is brilliant, charming and witty, most serial killers in the real world are deeply disturbed, suffering from one or many socially and personally dibilitating disorders which severly frustrate efforts towards any kind of personal improvement like rigorous martial arts training or holding a job.

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:34 pm 

Ice_As_Steel wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Ice_As_Steel wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Ice_As_Steel wrote:

In general, perhaps not as much as you may think regarding these things. Despite what you see in movies and TV shows where the sociopathic serial killer is brilliant, charming and witty, most serial killers in the real world are deeply disturbed, suffering from one or many socially and personally dibilitating disorders which severly frustrate efforts towards any kind of personal improvement like rigorous martial arts training or holding a job.

Actually I've taken both courses in psychology and spent a lot of time studying serial killers so there is no need to be flippant or condescending regarding my knowledge of either. Perhaps you'd like to tell me which serial killers you are referring to specifically? Many of the most successful serial killers are the ones who were able to "mainstream" enough as to successfully avoid suspicion for years. By the way, it is "debilitating" and "severely". If you are going to condescend at the very least you should be able to spell the words you are using.

HybridThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:24 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Seriously, what the hell is with all this whining about respect for the dead. Sounds like a bunch of dirty Christians!

And you sound like a member of the WBC.

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:06 pm 

HybridThing wrote:
PvtNinjer wrote:
Seriously, what the hell is with all this whining about respect for the dead. Sounds like a bunch of dirty Christians!

Wow.

I have not declared a picketing of any funerals.
I have not claimed the murder to be caused by her or anyone elses homosexuality.
I have not said that God was responsible for her death due to a morally loose... Germany, in this case?

Yet somehow I'm apart of WBC. Strange, I don't even believe in God! Jesus, I didn't think black humour was still edgy to you guys. Well if it's side with you or the WBC, I think I'd choose them (you're far too uptight for my tastes), and I don't even care for those fellas!

Nice try though, buddy.

HybridThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:59 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
HybridThing wrote:
PvtNinjer wrote:

Wow.

I have not declared a picketing of any funerals.
I have not claimed the murder to be caused by her or anyone elses homosexuality.
I have not said that God was responsible for her death due to a morally loose... Germany, in this case?

Yet somehow I'm apart of WBC. Strange, I don't even believe in God! Jesus, I didn't think black humour was still edgy to you guys. Well if it's side with you or the WBC, I think I'd choose them (you're far too uptight for my tastes), and I don't even care for those fellas!

Nice try though, buddy.

LOL. Yeah, I guess I had no reason to say that. Sorry. It's just that I didn't like what you posted and that was the first thing I thought about.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5