Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:57 am
Posts: 871
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:09 am 
 

Opus wrote:
conquer__all wrote:
Jon from Baroness ... pretty cool guy.

flowermouth wrote:
kind of an ass.
John Baizley - Baroness


So which is it, nice or a douchebag? Or is he just a normal person?


He's a genuine nice guy. I guess people forget that fans often act annoying as fuck and they don't have to take that shit all the time.
_________________
The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind.

Top
 Profile  
orionparker
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 8:55 am
Posts: 221
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:37 am 
 

I've met a few that have already been mentioned as nice guys...Bill Robinson (Decrepit Birth) and Johan Hegg (Amon Amarth). A couple of the others have been the dudes Inter Arma, Stavros (Atlas Moth), and the dudes from Between The Buried and Me which all are very cool.

The one guy that sticks in my head as my favorite though was Michael Gira of Swans (not really metal, I know, but still awesome). We stood outside after they had played for 2 hours and just shot the shit. I had recently visited NYC which we discussed and we both work in the construction industry. Very intense guy but very humble at the same time. It was also the loudest damn show I have ever seen.

Top
 Profile  
Doden666
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:10 pm
Posts: 24
Location: France
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:04 pm 
 

Cool guys: Sabaton's, Alestorm's, Monarch!'s, Cult Of Occult's, Owl Coven's and Harakiri For The Sky's guys are really cool and kind. Harakiri For The Sky's live members are the kindest, definitely, Monarch!'s guitarist and merch guy as well.

Douchebags: mmh... Shining's guys, and mostly Niklas Kvarforth. Holy s*#t, that guy have fame that rose his ego to a high level.

Top
 Profile  
_flow
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:31 pm
Posts: 230
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:20 pm 
 

ObservationSlave wrote:
_flow wrote:
I must include Halford here...

Met him in country X last tour; of course he's usually courteous, he signs people's records, he did sign mine. After one of the gigs, however, while waiting for Halford, I chatted casually with Scott Travis. To my surprise, when Scott realized I had traveled from country Z to country X to attend Priest, he said: 1) Whenever you want to see JP, anywhere in the world, text me; 2) I must take your photo with Halford now. Halford was just coming out, and Scott pushed me toward him. I felt uncomfortable. There was a line of fanboys before me with piles of records to be signed, and suddenly Halford had to take a photo break with this foreign fan. He did it reluctantly, then pushed me away, refusing to sign my CD.


Well, this explains a lot about all of your posts in the Firepower thread.


Correct, I judge music based on whether a musician smiled at me or not.

Judas Priest (and Halford in particular) are one of few musicians of this caliber that come out after each show to meet with the fans and sign piles of records. He was kind enough to sign mine a previous time; I hadn't met him before and suppose I'd had an idea of him being more cordial - of course, he has no obligation to meet fans at all, sign LPs, let alone take photos with fans. He's very polite, just aloof by nature I suppose.
Tipton could kill me with his whiskey breath, God bless.
And let it not escape the reader how extraordinarily nice Travis is.

PS No idea whether anyone's linked this: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Qwerty10 ... n-metal-1/
The author obviously has personal problems, but goes into tremendous depth in researching those musicians.

Top
 Profile  
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:57 am
Posts: 871
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:05 am 
 

orionparker wrote:
I've met a few that have already been mentioned as nice guys...Bill Robinson (Decrepit Birth) and Johan Hegg (Amon Amarth). A couple of the others have been the dudes Inter Arma, Stavros (Atlas Moth), and the dudes from Between The Buried and Me which all are very cool.

The one guy that sticks in my head as my favorite though was Michael Gira of Swans (not really metal, I know, but still awesome). We stood outside after they had played for 2 hours and just shot the shit. I had recently visited NYC which we discussed and we both work in the construction industry. Very intense guy but very humble at the same time. It was also the loudest damn show I have ever seen.


Swans is most definitely metal.
_________________
The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind.

Top
 Profile  
true_death
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 1607
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:12 am 
 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Swans is most definitely metal.


But doesn't Gira openly admit that he despises metal music and metalheads in general? I read an interview where he said he was intentionally rude to metalhead fans during the 80's/90's, and is glad they don't have a metal audience anymore. I'm aware they were influential to bands like Napalm Death and My Dying Bride but that doesn't sound like a very "metal" attitude :lol:.
_________________
"My lifestyle, determines my deathstyle"

Top
 Profile  
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 4258
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:49 am 
 

I feel like half the time of my friends who are Swans fans are also metalheads.

EDIT: Swans is 100% not metal though, even if they're heavier than about 80% of it.
_________________
Spirit Division (Stoner/Doom): http://spiritdivision.bandcamp.com
My solo acoustic project (Dark Folk/Blues): http://christophersteve.bandcamp.com/
Lavaborne (Heavy/Power/Doom): https://lavaborne.bandcamp.com


Last edited by Twisted_Psychology on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Vigintiseptem
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:23 pm
Posts: 179
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:17 am 
 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Swans is most definitely metal.

Now that's just silly.

Top
 Profile  
schizoid
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:35 am
Posts: 1342
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:43 pm 
 

_flow wrote:

PS No idea whether anyone's linked this: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Qwerty10 ... n-metal-1/
The author obviously has personal problems, but goes into tremendous depth in researching those musicians.


Left wing, Marxist, SJW, liberal, virtue signaller, etc...
_________________
add me on Untappd! https://untappd.com/user/ChairmanDrew

Top
 Profile  
_flow
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:31 pm
Posts: 230
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:58 pm 
 

SJW? Hardly; he seems sexist, or having sexual issues. Said somewhere he couldn't stand Judas Priest because they have sexual lyrics; includes women on this list and slams them for no apparent reason; seems altogether autistic and posts obsessively. All of this, however, doesn't undermine the lengths he goes to gather actual facts about musicians. He's a smart individual if one can get past the huge chip on his shoulder.

Top
 Profile  
Xenophon
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:07 am
Posts: 880
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:15 pm 
 

schizoid wrote:
_flow wrote:

PS No idea whether anyone's linked this: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Qwerty10 ... n-metal-1/
The author obviously has personal problems, but goes into tremendous depth in researching those musicians.


Left wing, Marxist, SJW, liberal, virtue signaller, etc...

not that those aren't valid observations...

Top
 Profile  
schizoid
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:35 am
Posts: 1342
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:34 pm 
 

_flow wrote:
SJW? Hardly; he seems sexist, or having sexual issues. Said somewhere he couldn't stand Judas Priest because they have sexual lyrics; includes women on this list and slams them for no apparent reason; seems altogether autistic and posts obsessively. All of this, however, doesn't undermine the lengths he goes to gather actual facts about musicians. He's a smart individual if one can get past the huge chip on his shoulder.


No, those are the labels he gives to most of the musicians he thinks are assholes.It makes for tiresome reading.
_________________
add me on Untappd! https://untappd.com/user/ChairmanDrew

Top
 Profile  
_flow
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:31 pm
Posts: 230
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:49 pm 
 

Alright; I got a bit confused because he is criticising musicians for treating women badly, then all of a sudden a female frontwoman is a b**ch because she didn't say hi to some fan... But what is to be expected of someone who thinks Priest and possibly Maiden stink, Beethoven is overrated, and ABBA is the biggest achievement in music globally.
That Portnoy screenshot, if true, is priceless however.

Top
 Profile  
Zerberus
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:29 pm
Posts: 1607
Location: Silkeborg, Denmark
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:21 am 
 

schizoid wrote:
_flow wrote:

PS No idea whether anyone's linked this: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Qwerty10 ... n-metal-1/
The author obviously has personal problems, but goes into tremendous depth in researching those musicians.


Left wing, Marxist, SJW, liberal, virtue signaller, etc...



Considering how much he slams musicians for being socialists and "left-wing (in)justice systems", I hardly think he himself is left wing (or far right, for that matter, as he slams nazis too)
_________________
Reviews: http://tonewoodmusic.blogspot.com/
TONEwood music site - Reviews, articles, news and more

Top
 Profile  
schizoid
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:35 am
Posts: 1342
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:36 am 
 

Zerberus wrote:


Considering how much he slams musicians for being socialists and "left-wing (in)justice systems", I hardly think he himself is left wing (or far right, for that matter, as he slams nazis too)


See above posts. I figured with the frequency he uses these buzz words, simply by listing them anyone who had attempted to read the link would get what I mean.

To clarify, yes, he is obviously some alt-right edgelord teenager.
_________________
add me on Untappd! https://untappd.com/user/ChairmanDrew

Top
 Profile  
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:57 am
Posts: 871
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:15 am 
 

Vigintiseptem wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Swans is most definitely metal.

Now that's just silly.


Nah, not silly, really. Not every album, but if Sunn O))) is considered metal, so should Swans.
_________________
The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind.

Top
 Profile  
Vigintiseptem
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:23 pm
Posts: 179
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:38 am 
 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Nah, not silly, really. Not every album, but if Sunn O))) is considered metal, so should Swans.

Sunn O))) has plenty of (really, really slow) metal riffs on The Grimmrobe Demos and Black One, for example. Name one Swans song that has a metal riff. And I do think comparing a band whose sound ranges from industrial bludgeoning to post-punk, folk and really heavy avantgarde rock and back again to a drone doom band – and calling them metal! – quite silly.

To actually contribute something to the actual topic at hand, I find the tone of some of these posts quite disturbing. I hope I'm wrong in tracing a misinformed sense of entitlement in the behavior of the writers, but the fact that the musicians you "have met" are actively seeking out opportunities to perform their music to an audience doesn't mean that they want to "meet" you, even if they have to spend time in areas near to and in the performing venues. Even though you may have bought their music and other products doesn't mean they have any social obligations to you, and acting accorindingly doesn't make them "douchebags". So please, next time you see a musician somewhere else than a merch stand, meet-and-greet or similar instance where they are intently meeting people, leave them alone.

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 7833
Location: Lifeless shadows
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:52 am 
 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
but if x is considered metal, so should y.

That kind of reasoning is nearly always fallacious. It is pretty much the first thing mentioned in the band rejection thread as something you shouldn't do there, and for a reason.
_________________
"A glimpse of light is all that it takes to illuminate the darkness."
Guitarist/vocalist in Illusions Dead - death/black metal
Vocalist in Gloaming - vile, crawling death/doom metal

Top
 Profile  
_flow
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:31 pm
Posts: 230
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:10 am 
 

Quote:
To actually contribute something to the actual topic at hand, I find the tone of some of these posts quite disturbing. I hope I'm wrong in tracing a misinformed sense of entitlement in the behavior of the writers, but the fact that the musicians you "have met" are actively seeking out opportunities to perform their music to an audience doesn't mean that they want to "meet" you, even if they have to spend time in areas near to and in the performing venues. Even though you may have bought their music and other products doesn't mean they have any social obligations to you, and acting accorindingly doesn't make them "douchebags". So please, next time you see a musician somewhere else than a merch stand, meet-and-greet or similar instance where they are intently meeting people, leave them alone.


It's the silly idea of "metal brotherhood" that makes fans feel entitled.
However, musicians in this scene are among the most approachable. I cannot think of a musician I wanted to interact with, and couldn't. Some of these in the semi-underground scene expecially (don't really know how to call it - the ones that are not Metallica and Iron Maiden), put no barrier between themselves and fans. Sakis for example has e-mailed me and been very open; Ashmedi too; come to think of it, a myriad of others. A lot of musicians are fully approachable on social media and in real life. Mille of Kreator, a band I don't even listen to, invited me for friendly dinner after a brief chat on facebook, and treated me as a special guest to his concert. One guy from a "legendary" band chatted me up at an afterparty of said band, and for some reason I didn't know who he was - I was looking for the singer for autograph, and this guy probably found it funny I didn't register him, so talked about his country of origin, family, etc. So did I begin with the silliness of the concept of a lack of distance, to arrive at the actuality of it.

As to the guy from "rate your music",
Quote:
To clarify, yes, he is obviously some alt-right edgelord teenager.

No, the guy seems to be 46 (he's written thousands of reviews a teen couldn't possibly do); and some of his writings, including these about the "jerks in metal" are quite insighful and humorous (while others are completely not). But as I mentioned, the depth he goes can be extraordinary.

Top
 Profile  
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 4258
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:11 am 
 

I liked the part when Qwerty blamed leftists for a case where someone got away with rape. Because when I think of people who let rape cases slide, I totally think the left. I really can't tell what "side" he's on but he's got some issues either way.
_________________
Spirit Division (Stoner/Doom): http://spiritdivision.bandcamp.com
My solo acoustic project (Dark Folk/Blues): http://christophersteve.bandcamp.com/
Lavaborne (Heavy/Power/Doom): https://lavaborne.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
_flow
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:31 pm
Posts: 230
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:23 am 
 

I complimented him on some review and eventually chatted briefly. He's paranoid, so he didn't respond for weeks; I sent a second message in regard with whatever musical topic I found interesting (some of his reviews are truly perceptive, and mainstream metal media has regressed into PR....), including a link to my facebook profile. He then said the profile could be fake, so the only way he'd engage in any conversation, would be if I commented on a specific link on facebook whenever he told me to, to verify it was me. He then felt more relaxed. But the conversation quickly spiralled out of control, as soon as he found out I liked JP - a fact that couldn't be condoned. He referred me to his philosophy of metal, complete with terminology - in the vein of the "intellectuals" from deathmetal.org.
What struck me, was that he swang from sexualising me (complimenting my photos), to blaming me I used "my looks" (can't remember what for).

P.S. Come to think of a "douche"... Ralph Scheepers seems to fit. He's always been very sociable, and not that I listen to his band in any way or form, but had him added, and happened to comment one of his posts or photos. It was completely innocent and I've no idea why the threw a fit, but he started pm-ing me quite aggressively, ending with "You're a very old woman". Young Ralph is probably ten years my senior; nevermind...

Top
 Profile  
khristian
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:53 am
Posts: 25
Location: Philippines
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:23 am 
 

Ricky Myers and Ed Talorda of Disgorge. Saw them when they played in our country and they're nice guys.

Top
 Profile  
Sarkhasm
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:04 am
Posts: 23
Location: Lancs, Uk
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:23 am 
 

sunn O))) - O'Malley was polite, but seemed like the type not keen to engage with strangers, so let him be. Greg was a sound bloke. Csihar was just a quick "I love your vocals mate" "Oh thank you"
Earth - Dylan was cool. Their then live member Milky was a sweetheart.
Mortiis - This guy was fun.
Mithras - Rayner's a colossal (figurative and literal) nerdy mountain of a man, and fun to chat to about old Warhammer rules with. Leon is decent and polite.

Top
 Profile  
Yak_Forger
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:53 am
Posts: 14
Location: Belgium
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:35 am 
 

Can confirm that the members of Sabaton are total bros, and it even shows in the way they handle their gigs. Hearing them playing YMCA is one hell of an experience lol.

Top
 Profile  
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:34 pm
Posts: 532
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:02 pm 
 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I feel like half the time of my friends who are Swans fans are also metalheads.

EDIT: Swans is 100% not metal though, even if they're heavier than about 80% of it.


This. Not metal at all.

Top
 Profile  
Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:16 am
Posts: 2017
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:49 am 
 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I liked the part when Qwerty blamed leftists for a case where someone got away with rape. Because when I think of people who let rape cases slide, I totally think the left.


Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby, Russell Simmons, Roman Polanski
_________________
TEMPLE OF BLOOD: Intense PowerThrash Metal
Facebook / ReverbNation / Old homepage


Last edited by Morrigan on Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User was banned (1 month) for this post and a long history of similarly disingenuous bullshit.

Top
 Profile  
The_Spice_Must_Flow
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:28 pm
Posts: 11
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:11 pm 
 

I met Mirai Kawashima from Sigh before a show in 2007-08. He was really quiet and soft spoken. Katon de Pena was also there in the crowd but I didn't speak to him.
_________________
Pineapple on pizza is punishable by death.

Top
 Profile  
Sandwichofdeth
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 6:44 pm
Posts: 1
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:03 pm 
 

Not metal, but the guitarist for the powerviolence band Dropdead owns the record shop I go to. He's a really nice guy, genuinely loves the local scene and loud rock in general.

Top
 Profile  
narsilianshard
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:22 pm
Posts: 1982
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:18 pm 
 

Yak_Forger wrote:
Can confirm that the members of Sabaton are total bros

Is that good or bad? (in the US "bro" is commonly an insult)

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DarthVenom, Empyreal, Google Adsense [Bot], MalignantTyrant, narsilianshard, prometherion777 and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group