Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Illuminati322
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:33 pm 

I'm glad to see someone else taking an interest in Australian metal, a scene I feel is grossly overlooked. As an avid listener of 80's proto-black metal, something the country offers in spades, I would recommend Atomizer, Vomitor, and Destroyer 666, as well as the aforementioned Gospel Of The Horns and Nocturnal Raids. It's interesting to see how scenes emerge and develop, so starting with their entry into the 80's thrash sweepstakes, Mortal Sin, would be a good start before moving onto their seminal black metal outfits Sadistik Exekution and Bestial Warlust. Spear Of Longinus offers interesting, if ideologically dubious, experimental black metal, and Portal is out of this world paranormal death metal.

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:19 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES wrote:
it just so happens that Australia has produced some of the finest bands in those fields on the planet...
YES! there's something in the water beer over there for sure.

if you're downunder, is it still underground? :scratch: :lol:

Mate, I honestly don't know what's classified as underground at the best of times... seems like anything half decent these days is regarded as "underground"...on the beer side of things I find the best shit comes from Europe anyway... maybe it's the quantity it's drunk in over here rather than the beer itself...

Hey you know of any NZ Black / Blackened bands worth checking out?

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:32 pm 

"underground" is the biggest misnomer ever [but it's in the title which i why i used it]
and yeah man plenty, dawn of azazel and skuldom spring to mind first.

saw exordium mors the other night, i liked them but haven't heard their stuff on a cd yet
witchchrist and ulcerate are both good too, there are more but they just come to mind first.

the current drummer from impiety is from perth by the way

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:21 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
"underground" is the biggest misnomer ever [but it's in the title which i why i used it]
and yeah man plenty, dawn of azazel and skuldom spring to mind first.

saw exordium mors the other night, i liked them but haven't heard their stuff on a cd yet
witchchrist and ulcerate are both good too, there are more but they just come to mind first.

the current drummer from impiety is from perth by the way

Yeah I heard... think I actully read on here somewhere that an Aussie was part of the current Impiety lineup... didn't know he was the drummer.... just knew he wasn't the singer/bassist tho haha...

I know Dawn Of Azazel... didn't know they were from NZ tho... haven't been that into the little I've heard tho... Heard of Skuldom, but haven't heard their music...

I'm gonna make a point of finding some NZ black metal

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:40 am 

ha! yeah, shyaithan is impiety pretty much aye.

i like the very first dawn of azazel album the most
i should probably mention sinate and malevolence, they are two of the bigger more well known bands
you've heard human? how about subtract? i just got a promise of bloodshed album which is pretty sweet

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:11 am 

Well Diocletian for a start, and as already mentioned, the filthy, pulverizing Witchrist along with Heresiarch.

My collection

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:37 am 

shit, i totally forgot those two :thumbsup:

MattDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:30 am 

Most NZ black metal is total shit. Anno Domini Mortus, Vassafor, Barshasketh are pretty great though. I have Exordium Mors' Serva ad mors tape, it was great though I haven't dug it out in over a year.

Forbidden Citadel of Spirits; For those into raw, obscure black metal these guys are fantastic. Quite a few releases sound like total shit, particularly the earliest releases but stuff on the Occult Fingers of Spell ep, splits with Vetala, Kazaviel, Gandr, Satanize, Kruel Kommando are fantastic material. Their drummer is in quite a few other black metal bands too.

I'm quite surprised they aren't more well known, given they did a split with Drowning the Light in 2008 and a split with one of Shatraug's (of almost every Finnish black metal band) lesser known projects; Gandr.There are still 4 unreleased splits, 2 of which were on the 2006-2009 compilation that Cocainacopia released. Haven't heard the other two but the unreleased 4 way split with Vetala, Enecare and Wampyrs dungeon has great tracks from FCoS, as does the unreleased split with Enecare. They should be coming out at some point, I know that two should be coming out in a few months time. The samples on youtube are not great, if anyone felt like looking. Good luck tracking down their earlier releases too.

Ill Omen: Another project by Nazxul member Desolate/IV. Excellent black metal, no bad releases. He has a black/death project by the name of Temple Nightside which is doing a split with Canada's Antediluvian. Great stuff.

There is a black metal circle up near Port Macquarie; the bands all have ridiculously limited releases that are actually really good. Mostly symphonic black metal. Nocturnal Silence, Zeta Reticuli, Morbid Frost, Obsidian Forest, Lunar Occultis.

Yes, I do worship FCoS. Ha.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:26 pm 

Exordium Mors were pretty cool live the other night i thought, nice and catchy and i think the guy 'raj'? said they were going to play a 30 minute long song or something?!
to me it sounded like it was one song, i'll have to get confirmation from my mate who knows him but yeah ha ha i enjoyed it

a proper black metal band [from back in the day] is coven, they play blasphemy styled black metal
the only thing of theirs i have is a song on The Last Friday 13th Of The Millenium Compilation
i know they used to do the nocturnal dominion show on 95bfm [student radio station] and they [max and ollie?] did the *sounds for the morbid angel gig back in 1998?

*the music that plays when no bands are playing

SashaGallant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:32 am 

Seconding Ignivomous, I have the Death Transmutation lp, haven't heard their newest yet but this album would be a mistake to overlook. It's like Incantation coupled with Blasphemy to give you an idea.

foul body autopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:07 pm 

Australia has to have the most underrated metal scene in the world. Haha. There is a lot of good stuff out there.

Woods of Desolation, Austere, Midnight Odyssey to name a couple.

I've heard bits and pieces of a few of the other bands mentioned quite a bit like Pestilential Shadows and Naxzul too. Certainly is a metal scene to be proud of.

As far as NZ goes, Ulcerate are great!

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:20 pm 

Yeah 'Apotheosis of Death' is a 30 minute epic by Ex Mors which according to them is somewhat inspired by Order From Chaos. They've totally got their own sound though and live they are something else, saw them in Bangkok last year and they clicked with me right away.

Yep the new drummer of Impiety is this fellow Dizazter who is also the drummer for Mhorgl, Shrapnel, The Furor and Malignant Monster. All of which is worth checking out. Seen him perform with Impiety and he's a powerhouse, but really want to see Mhorgl/Furor/Shrapnel live too.

Didn't see any mention of Naetu, that's a decent Aussie black metal band who are supposed to be very nice blokes as well, they have an album out.

Loudly second Belligerent Intent, and also want to show some love for the latest album by Nazxul if you guys have only been checking out Totem.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:40 pm 

dude, you need to remove the brackets from your sig for it to be clickable
http://baileysmmcreamy.blogspot.sg/ :thumbsup:

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:33 am 

dreadmeat wrote:
dude, you need to remove the brackets from your sig for it to be clickable
http://baileysmmcreamy.blogspot.sg/ :thumbsup:

Thanks mate. Never realized that! No wonder traffic from this site is low haha. If you'll excuse the self-promotion, you can check out a few articles on concerts by Australian bands from the underground and releases on there. I'm thinking about doing some interview series with Aussie musicians as well.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:34 pm 

Oracle of the Void were decent symphonic black/death with quite sinister atmospheric keys.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:07 pm 

i tripped over a cd called 'a veritable paragon of wholesome family entertainment' years ago by a band called 'very very dead and gory' it was pretty cool from memory and had some appalling[ly funny] artwork, lyrics and song titles :puke:

Denominator_Zero
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:15 pm 

Nekros Manteia FTW!

adrenalin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:01 pm 

Denouncement Pyre
Hunters Moon (early Bathory worship!!)
Destruktor
Gospel of the Horns
and I highly recommend IMPIOUS BAPTISM. It's a one man band with connections to Denouncement Pyre and Hunters Moon. Only has a few 7" ep's out at the moment, but it's some killer, viscious blackness.

Subcide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:35 pm 

An in-depth interview with EXORDIUM MORS for your reading pleasure: http://subcide-webzine.blogspot.co.nz/2 ... rview.html

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:45 am 

adrenalin wrote:
and I highly recommend IMPIOUS BAPTISM. It's a one man band with connections to Denouncement Pyre and Hunters Moon. Only has a few 7" ep's out at the moment, but it's some killer, viscious blackness.

No mention of the connection to the mighty Nocturnal Graves?

IP are great by the way.

Baphomatt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:15 am 

Ouroboros is definitely a quality, Aussie, tech-death band on the rise. I hear they recently won a Sydney performing arts award along with quite a bit of cash (good to see their stuff getting some well deserved recognition!), which they're putting towards a choir to back the next album. Keen to hear what the boys come up with, but it's safe to assume it'll be technical as hell and entirely rift-shitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J_8wqD60jY - From the album Glorification of a Myth

I recently heard the Brisbane band Empyrean for the first time when they opened for Dark Funeral last month. Really unlike anything I've heard from this side of Australia so far. Heavily.. old Cradle of Filth + goth-y + semi-symphonic. Either way, they put on a great live show.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:04 am 

100 posts, and not a single mention of Virgin Black? Seriously, fuck the lot of you. Also Rituals of the Oak are well worth checking out. Not everyone likes them, but their track Here is one of best female fronted doom tracks to be released recently.

I also concur with the guys praising Mournful Congregation and Mortal Sin.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Unmaker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:53 am 

Crowned just released their debut - vacuous spectral silence. This is an excellent record laden with almost post blackish melody which doesn't disregard atmosphere or traditional genre tropes, yet also improves upon many time honored bm concepts, in my opinion this is a band to watch.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:18 am 

Sanguinary Misanthropia released a pretty good black metal album recently also

also a band that really deserves a mention but has not been mentioned is Mephistopheles who has chalky from psycroptic as their singer and is releasing a new album soon

and The Levitation Hex who is a band composed of members from many great australian bands including Alchemist, Aeon of Horus and Alarum

wolfs lair
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:47 am 

Norse- amazing blackend death metal but with a real uniqie sound. these guys can play!!

http://www.norsemetal.bancamp.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdzK7z5BQYs

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:38 am 

Australia's been producing a lot of killer innovative black metal lately. In the past two years alone, a bunch of amazing albums have been released. There's Midnight Odyssey who released their debut in 2011 and while it's fairly long it is incredibly atmospheric and leaves you to think of floating through space and appreciating the vastness of the universe.

Elysian Blaze came out with Blood Geometry this year after much delay and it's such a dense, monstrously crushing piece of work I'm still conflicted whether this or their previous effort is Elysian Blaze's best. It's longer than the Midnight Odyssey by a few minutes but it manages its play time very well.

Lastly, Aquilus released their debut effort Griseus which is nothing short of a majestic journey through isolated bushland. Easily the best neoclassical black/folk metal band around, but that's easy since they're the only band of the genre. They recently got signed which might mean the rest of the world might be exposed to the grandness that is Aquilus.

Crowned is also a good band, but I'll wait a few year when they can refine their sound further. I saw them live last month for their debut album launch. I was fairly impressed, but this was the only show I've been to where there were less people present at the end of the show than at the beginning. Ah well, they're missing out.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:52 am 

Seems to be the only thing being spoken about really is the more extreme side of things - Australia has and is producing some excellent trad/power bands - Taberah, Eyefear, Soulforge, Metal, The Loving Tongue...just to name a few.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:58 am 

something people should check out is pretty much anything Grindhead records releases a few bands by them have been mentioned but they tend to be very creative and interesting sounding, one of the best record labels going around imo

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:44 am 

It's interesting seeing what people mention in here, for sure. TBH quite suprised at some of the things people have mentioned - I guess your opinion is marked by the circles you move in, but for me it begins and ends with the war metal/Black thrash bands and their offspring. I know there are other little sub-scenes (trad/power, progressive, grind, more experimental BM etc), but we dont really cross paths that often. So it's easy to forget that these other cliques are even part of some nominative "Australian metal scene". You could say that it might be better to talk about regional scenes - Melbourne Grind, Melbourne Black/Death/War metal, NSW bedroom BM, Brisbane clockwork haberdashery etc than about one national one. There are all sorts of regional/class/ethnic differences between, say, some of the borderline WP lyrics you see in denim-n-spikes country-boy black-thrash and what you'd see in some of the prog/power metal bands who's demographic seems to be heavily weighted towards 2nd/3rd gen Southern Europeans.

Just thinking aloud, carry on :)

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:08 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
It's interesting seeing what people mention in here, for sure. TBH quite suprised at some of the things people have mentioned - I guess your opinion is marked by the circles you move in, but for me it begins and ends with the war metal/Black thrash bands and their offspring. I know there are other little sub-scenes (trad/power, progressive, grind, more experimental BM etc), but we dont really cross paths that often. So it's easy to forget that these other cliques are even part of some nominative "Australian metal scene". You could say that it might be better to talk about regional scenes - Melbourne Grind, Melbourne Black/Death/War metal, NSW bedroom BM, Brisbane clockwork haberdashery etc than about one national one. There are all sorts of regional/class/ethnic differences between, say, some of the borderline WP lyrics you see in denim-n-spikes country-boy black-thrash and what you'd see in some of the prog/power metal bands who's demographic seems to be heavily weighted towards 2nd/3rd gen Southern Europeans.

Just thinking aloud, carry on :)

Adelaide have a great doom scene there is so much range in the metal Australia produces, so many different influences

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:28 pm 

Zero_Nowhere wrote:
I am terribly distressed at the lack of Cauldron Black Ram thus far.

They're playing at Stella Natura near Tahoe next year with Stargazer and a few assorted others! I can't wait.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:37 pm 

Astriaal: Awesome AUS black metal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fuAQBCs9sw This song fucking owns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS4Mn5mpmTI This one's pretty badass too

Drowning the Light: DSBM definitely not for everyone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqXWz-kFhAI

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:23 am 

Oooh, how did I manage to miss this thread before? I could spend ages adding my voice to the chorus of praise for the many awesome bands that have been mentioned (especially Ignivomous, diSEMBOWELMENT/dUSK, Mournful Congregation, Elysian Blaze, Vomitor, Astriaal... and so on and so forth), but here are a few good acts that I don't think have been named thus far (if they have, I do apologise for the oversight)
Inverloch - doom-death - the next stage in the diSEMBOWELMENT/dUSK saga
Myridian - melodeath-doom (as far as I know the quality of many of their clips on YouTube is pretty awful, so I'm linking their bandcamp instead)
Myraeth - gothic/melodeath-doom with occasional female vocals (again, had to resort to their bandcamp page)
Okera - yep, more melodeath-doom
Order of Orias - blackened death, leaning towards black metal
Adamus Exul - black metal
Malichor - black thrash

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:08 am 

I think Ghola deserves a mention.
It's a one man Drone project from a dude in Melbourne. All of his stuff is free from Mediafire, band-sanctioned, of course.
http://moosick.bandcamp.com/album/god-i ... -the-world

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:00 am 

Calusari wrote:
Order of Orias[/url] - blackened death, leaning towards black metal
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mK_g7JDTrY/]Adamus

These guys are great! Soon touring with Marduk by the way.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:03 am 

Calusari wrote:
Order of Orias[/url] - blackened death, leaning towards black metal
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mK_g7JDTrY/]

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:04 am 

Calusari wrote:
Order of Orias

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:06 am 

What the hey?!

Was editing a single post. Not replying with additional ones.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:17 am 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
Calusari wrote:
Order of Orias

Yeah, I'm still considering going to that; the supports alone are amazing. In the meantime, I'll hopefully be catching them next weekend.

Warlust666
Some guy who posts sometimes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:18 pm 

Most of my faves have already been listed... here's a few I didn't see...

Abyssic Hate ...Depressive Black Metal at it's absolute finest... in my opinion the best in the business!

Hunters Moon ...limited releases but I love this band... they need to get back in the studio for a full length soon!! ...made up of both Denouncement Pyre & Nocturnal Graves members but blowing both bands well out of the water... pick up The Serpents Lust EP and you'll see what I mean... highly recommeded for fans of Gospel Of The Horns & Zarathustra ect...

Eternum - 2 piece Raw Black metal with Azghul (Drowning The Light) on vocals... cool band and almost as good as DTL on occaision... DTL fans should also check out Baal Gadrial & early Pestilential Shadows too...

Melbourne have always been on the forefront of the Australian metal scene. I havn't really made an effort to explore the Australian underground metal scene for a few years now. Somone before suggested Bestial Warlust, which is a good choice. I use to have Bestial Warlust's Blood & Valour and it was quite fucking phenominal. I also recommend Abominator if you have a taste for aussie blackend death metal.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next