Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
pestilent_god
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:33 am 

Nothgard - Under the Serpent Sign

Can't say I'm too big into this kind of "festive" sounding folk-blackish metal. The chorus is passable, very catchy, but I find the rest quite mediocre. No, I'm not some kvlt mofo, I can have some fun, it just sound insipid to me.

(ok, I'm writing while listening, the middle section with the keyboards and really triumphant atmosphere is cool, reminded me of earlier Windir). Still not something I will be listening again, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZCtLfdlo8Y

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:06 am 

Der Weg Einer Freihiet - Der Stille Fluss

If you ever happen to be looking for some decent, cold yet furious black metal, you may want to give this a try. Please note, however, that it's just decent... good for what it's worth, but there will be no earth-shattering revelations here. After a short acoustic intro, the song drops immediately into full-blast, and I'm reminded (probably thanks to the production) of Nyktaglia's Peisithanatos, which isn't a bad thing at all. This, however, just seems a little clearer in that department. This rings especially true for the vocals, which are a bit less refined than your standard rasps, but are still totally clear and decipherable. They also, unfortunately, sound exactly the legions of shitty genericore bands who also use this kind of style. Before you all come at me with your pitchforks and torches, the vocals are the only thing remotely like that, and even they can be forgiven. Not bad at all, but I'm hardly motivated to seek more from this band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUNilMmlRRU

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:49 am 

Spoiler: show
EDIT: Fuck, nevermind. How does one miss an entire goddamn page like that...? -.-

Last edited by ~Guest 178973 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:02 am 

@TheNiceNightmare:
I'm thinking you're a little late with the Midnight review? ;)

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:34 pm 

Aeon: "Of Fire"

Loud, aggressively in your face production with those guitars and vocals. Some cool experimentation with noise in the beginning of the track. The song has got a more genuinely dark feel than many in this field..they sound a bit like a more modern Deicide at times, but there's altogether too much banging around on one chord, and similarly "stupid" riffs. I'm also really not a fan of that bass drum sound. The solo is a nice addition but seems over too quickly. It should have been the climax of this thing! It is followed by annoying overuse of the clicky bass drums. I wish people didn't think this kind of drum production actually sounded good; I might be able to enjoy this kind of music mor otherwise. Aside from that, though, my main problem is that it I can't escape the feeling that this is some dummy throwing his weight around a lot, even though there's clearly some real proficiency at work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwRnkHCafd4
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:44 pm 

Tragedy - Wail of Sirens

eerie sounding intro...I sense abit of a dark atmosphere. The vocals kick in with a semi growl semi yelling style and some mid-tempo riffing accompanying it. although it plods along with a heavy tone, there is some good melody througout. after listening to the songs, I don't remember hearing the drumming really, which tells me that they weren't bad, but also didn't stand out in anyway. I really liked the section from 2:50 where the slower riffs where replaced with a more melodic tremelo picked riff. So, the song was ok, but wasn't blown away by anything in it. I actually listened to the song "To Earth Like Dust" from the same album since it was a suggestion by youtube and enjoyed that song more than this...slightly more variety in that one which i like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK_w7Pc7FBY

my last.fm

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:14 pm 

Thrawsunblat - Black Sky

A prime example of how to play melodic extreme metal right. It's got warm, folksy harmonies in the chorus, set over uplifting tremolo riffing and sweeping melodies. What's rare is that the drumming actually fits the song--too many melodeath and melodic black metal outfits feature a constant pummeling blastbeat that feels tacked on (along with the harsh vox) so the band doesn't have to admit that they actually play power metal. Here, the drumming, along with all the other instrumentals form a cogent whole. The song ends up being a memorable, galloping ballad, and I'd listen to this band again despite not being a fan of this general subgenre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrhoxDajfPo

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:55 am 

Urgehal - Antireligios

This (punked up) old school Bathory-esque opening riff is absolutely killer, along with the somewhat bouncy and upbeat drumming that it rides in on. The way he's working those cymbals with the double kicks definitely makes me smile. Very awesome solo pops up early on and you can tell that these guys may be worshipping at the left hand of Lucifer but they're not afraid to have a little fun. Things turn a tad "black metal standard" when a more stereotypical sounding riff is brought into the fold but I can't say it really moves me one way or another. It basically sounds like they realized their black metal was missing stuff that sounded like black metal so they extended the song. The fade-out ending is somewhat disappointing as I was hoping for a big finish to justify the song length. I think they could have stuck with the first 3:50 of material and come away with a rocking little first wave-ish track that may have served as a great breather on the album. No such luck, they saw fit to tack on a few minutes of serious BM. Very pure of influence and sound, I don't doubt that a lot of people would love this but I can already envision it collecting dust if I pulled the trigger on a purchase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1IFRl2yhZk&feature=plcp

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:01 am 

Jonpo wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1IFRl2yhZk&feature=plcp

Wind of the Black Mountains - A Autumn Evening (Darkness Crave)

Oh, nice intro! Kinda Countess meets Mortuary Drape spookiness... and then, somewhat predictably, it gets very, very Bathory. Obviously the singer has spent a great deal of time preening himself to look as much like a certain Swede as is physically possible. I think this song should be called "Necromancy of Doom" or something those lines. It's even got the Bathory "weedly-diddly-deeeee" semi-leads. As a fan of early Bathory I found this a decent worship piece; the drums (machine?) were appropriately linear, the riffs appropriately storming and the energy was certainly there. It's a nice homage, sure, but with these things I always wish there was something to make it a little more special. If this is a young band, I'd certainly be watching out for their newer stuff to see if they've decided to go down certain paths less trodden, ahem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxYI1HQjQoE

Last edited by Acrobat on Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:04 am 

@Jonpo & Amerigo
Nice choice, I love that Urgehal album. I have been meaning to post a song myself from that one, as it's SO GOOD! Pure blackmetalheadbangingfury! Can't get enough of it, and there are some seriously good songs on there to be found (the opener is a monster). They do wear their influences on their sleeves, but aren't afraid to "rock out" on the odd occasion either, with cool throw-backs to the mighty Celtic Frost in riff construction. Damn good band, now missing their guitarist/vocalist.

My collection

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:33 am 

Paul Chain - Roses of Winter

Right from the start, we're dropped into a nice, groovy riff that reminds me of early Black Sabbath in more ways than one. This riff serves as the backing for most of the song, and it's infectious enough to work without becoming boring or repititious. The solos have a very bluesy feel to them, especially the one that seems to be trading fire with the third chorus. Apart from being awesome and memorable, of course. The singer isn't so bad during most of the song. His vocals are far from something that will get etched into my brain anytime soon... at least for anything good. Near the end, after the well-done solos, he gets the bright idea to go into a higher register and sing the last verse in that register backed by a constant, repetitve high-pitched "WINTEEEEEEEEEEERRRR!". Then it fades out while all this is going on, as if just to annoy me a little more. Way to ruin a perfectly good ending, there, Paul. I'm not quite sure what this song was meant to achieve, but it certainly would have been decent if he had just rewritten the ending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNloyxCofts

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:14 am 

Dark Fortress -Ylem

interesting that you would pick this song...I was going to do 1000 crypts awake from their Stabwounds album. What's interesting about Dark Fortress is that after Seance, I somewhat lost interest in the band. I don't know why, nothing that I heard was bad, but just haven't really listened to anything with Morean on vocals. I am impressed with his guitar abiltities in other bands like Noneuclid and his appearences on the latest Obsucra album though.

anyways, to the song, love the intro. the guitar has this dark eerie sound that reminds me abit of Necrophobic. The vocals kick in with a powerful BM scream and a barrage of blast beats. The riffs are pretty good, but I don't think the strongest that I've heard from Dark Fortress. I do like the tremelo riffs at about the 2:00 mark...quite melodic and keep with the dark sound of the song so far. The slower part at 3:30 is nice. Still abit dark and somber and the wispered growls work nicely here. it builds nicely to the faster section, but i do find the riffs that happen at about 5:00 not so great.

anyways, thanks for posting the song, I should listen to some more Morean era Dark Fortress. Whats your preference for Dark Fortress? do you like the last couple albums more or entire discography?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uytm9-C-Nl8

my last.fm

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:50 am 

@Tron_79:
Dark Fortress has been a recent discovery for me; I heard Ylem a while back but haven't fallen in love with it until recently. That being said, I gotta look into more of their stuff, because this is the only album of theirs I've heard.

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:27 pm 

@Dave_o_rama
heh, i guess we are almost opposite then. a couple of my favourite pre-Morean songs are "When 1000 Crypts Awake" and "Catawombs"

my last.fm

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:04 am 

Tron_79 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uytm9-C-Nl8

Forefather - Steadfast.

Ah, that guitar sound was mixed annoyingly loud! And it sounds like it's modern, digital equipment trying to keep a rawer edge to it (which it really doesn't). Basically, this is pretty much what I expected; riffs that lean towards the watered down "Viking" black metal sound, with gradually more melody being injected until you basically end up with Iron Maiden harmonies. A bit too jolly for me, to be sure and once again, these programmed aren't very exciting. It sounds like Ensiferum if they played slower. On the plus side, they're not short on ideas (perhaps, this song wasn't the best, structurally), but it did progress through a good few riffs. If you like this still you'll probably think that this is rather good - certainly this is far from the worst offender when it comes to modern folky metal. As for me, I think this style is really rather crappy; it sounds like it's designed for pasty, podgy sixteen-year-olds to dance around to after they've drank their first 4 cans of domestic lager, uh, sorry, "mead".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfpDfBaOons

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:02 am 

Therion - Cthulhu

I love early death metal era Therion. they still have that old school swedish sound, but they have some other element that makes them different.

starts out with some solid dark riffs before heading into the main riff which keeps that dark feeling of the song. The vocals are pretty good death metal growls but somethign that has never stood out for me on this album...a couple minutes in there is that pause in riffs with the drums, bass and a omniscent sounding lead carrying the sound for half a minute or so. Although it keeps with the tone of the song, i never found this part necessary in the song, but it nto too bad either....The change just past the 3 minute works better in my opinion. the riffs are different and the remainder of the song provide a nice variety in riffs used, drumming. My only other complaint is I find the last minute or so drag on abit...and I would probably listen to this song more if it was about 5 minutes. so overall, its a good song from an album I really enjoy, However, it does have a few flaws and I tend to listen to other songs on this album more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6zZIR7eJQY

my last.fm

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:34 pm 

Abigor - Scars In The Landscape Of God

Well, even though I have a vicious hate for almost all things purely black metal, this was great. The intro was certainly the most enoyable part for me, with it's haunting, sorrowful melodies and ghostly female vocals setting up a really enjoyable atmosphere, which I may add, it's all this song is about; atmosphere. That's not to say there aren't many great, lovely melodic (yet cold as the 9th Circle of Dante's Inferno) riffs in this tune, and the drumming is really interesting on it's own when not blasting like a Gatling. But what I'd like to highlight the most from a purely instrumental viewpoint are these little quirks and idiosyncrasies the band throws around during the song's duration; a very subtle acoustic passage buried underneath the towering riffs, or a medieval-sounding keyboard interlude towards the end..... It's being able to use skillfully things like these without sounding pompous or pretentious that denote the mark of a good songwriter. But now, I'll go back to the atmosphere, which is executed greatly thanks to three particular elements; the production, the melodies, and the vocals. The production, for starters, is what I deem perfect for this sort of music; frigid in extremo, yet clean enough so that every instrument can be heard gracefully. The melodies? Oh, those are sweet. Really classy, with perhaps just a hint of a gothic flair, and summon images of frozen castles which hold the caskets of undead lords, just ready to wake up once again from their ancient slumber. And finally, we have the vocals, which might as well be the horrendous cries of the aforementioned wraiths, full of pain, and longing for bloodshed. Seriously, this dude really knows how to convey torment through a scream.....

So, in conclusion; I really like this. Guess it wouldn't kill me to check out the whole album later......

Here is something that is also very sorrowful, but in a much different way.

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:38 am 

@Xlxlx
glad you liked it, and I agree, that intro is one of my favourites in all of metal

my last.fm

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:25 pm 

W.A.S.P. - The Idol
You know how there is a recent thread about how this band is often overlooked as glam/hair band? Well, I was one of the people who have overlooked them for this reason. While the vocals are very falsetto, and not my favourite, they aren't a deal breaker. The instrumental work is great, the clean guitar tone is superb. This isn't the kind of stuff I'd usually listen to, but I can appreciate it. This is pretty catchy. The guitar solo pretty much rules, classic metal meets classic rock. Good song, I may look more into this band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWxOABpcZBE

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:16 pm 

Mithras-Lords and Master

The opening double bass kicks remind me a hell of a lot of Decapitated's, and the flurry of blast beats with those mean vocals remind of certain similarities between Morbid Angel's mid-era output and Nader Sadek. The drums really standout the most even amidst the crazed riffs and maniacal proto-Decrepit birth solo around 1:30. The entire song fluctuates from those atmospheric riffs to the constant double bass kicks, and while I've heard this band before I didn't imagine they'd sound like more modern acts today. A great song that proves drums can be overpowering and still sound great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhA_hQDEml0

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:39 pm 

If I may, the YT link you submitted has a shitty sound (especially hurting the vocals); I'd recommend this one instead (never mind the fanmade horror montage and don't forget to pause at 3'48'' lest another song starts, but yeah, better sound):
Veracs wrote:

This is powerful. This is mighty! Hail to the 'Master of Reality'-like monolithic guitar tone (only bigger and thicker) and the orgasmic barrage of crushingly joyful riffs it serves (not to forget the Iommi-worshipping solo)! That's one fucking fine piece of old school-celebrating heavy/doom metal with balls and heart. The drums are quite entertaining, even though they're buried under the aforementioned riffage for most of the song; whenever the fills and the Neanderthal cymbal work can actually be heard, they're great. The bass is surprisingly and a bit disappointingly barely audible, and not particularly interesting; it's just okay and rather basic. The vocals remind me of someone very specifically, but I can't remember right now (help is welcome); for lack of that comparison point, I'll throw in Holocaust's Gary Lettice as a close second: it's this type of almost punk* in spirit, not a care in the world, enthusiastic and oh so mildly aggressive speech/whisper/occasional-singing (*not quite in actual sound, though); or basically it's a pre/proto-thrash vocal style, very fitting to the band's overall sound. The songwriting, Sabbath-worshiping though it may be, is impressively solid and compelling, and the arrangements and performance enhance it to great effect. Not to worry, I did notice the couple of extra touches here and there, namely the late 70's AC/DC homage that is the ending riff, the faint nod at 2nd wave BM that might be the very brief yet very ominous distorted arpeggio that comes and goes (like at 0'37''), and the classic, epic USPM tribute that is the semi-spoken choir chorus (but do I even call it that? it's hardly repeated) at 0'52''. They're all very nice touches and very well integrated. We are the templars of doom, whatever that means! Now at my 6th-7th listen in a row, and loving it. Never heard of those guys, so thank you! :metal: :nods:

And now, ladies and gentlemen, I give you this.

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:39 am 

Swordmaster - Blood Legacy

starts off with a furious section of blast beats and a some thrashy riffs. As soon as the vocals started, my first thought was this is a similar style to early Absu (who I like alot). The riffing lives up to the comparison, with some good catchy riffs througout the song...However, the drumming which is pretty good, really doesn't compare with the variety proscriptor had. Thats not to say the song is bad, the vocals are done well and there are some good leads that fit in with the style of the song. after a few more listens of the song, I'm actually hearing a sacramentum (coming of chaos era)vibe, which makes sense as it looks like the drummer who was in sacramentum wrote alot of the material. anyways, I'm digging this, so thanks for posting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urZB9ZSMCUU

my last.fm

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:57 pm 

@Dystopia4:
Dude, not to sound offensive, but do you have ANY idea what a falsetto sounds like? Hint; Blackie Lawless (W.A.S.P.'s singer, guitar player and main songwriter) doesn't do it. At all. Glad you liked the song though.

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:08 am 

Samael - Blood Ritual

This is a pretty interesting song, sounds like a sort of gray area between the first and second waves of black metal. It's as if early Celtic Frost retained their original guitar tone and such, but structured their songs like the Norwegians they influenced, though maybe keeping a bit more thrash edge than them.They are a bit catchy, but not in that "We're making money with our metal" type of way, kind of like Morbid Tales-era Celtic Frost. And this is not a bad thing at all. The vocals are probably the thing most akin to second wave BM, sounding kind of like Abbath's rasps (especially in Immortal's later output). The production job is perfect for this song, giving the guitars the slight edge, but the drums are clear as day too. The bass doesn't do much, but you won't notice it's presence or lack thereof anyway. I really enjoyed this, and I'll be looking into this band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie23VroLh7E

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:57 am 

Hour of Penance - Conjuration Sworn

This is just pure brutality and that's all it's got going for it. Which is both a blessing and a curse. When I'm in the mood for some vicious music, this is perfect, but any other time, it dosen't seem to have much substance. Others seem to like this album the best, but I prefer Paradogma. As for this specific song, the guitars grind and grind with tremolo riffs, only slowing down for an average solo before jumping back in for the blasting. Speaking of blasting, there's a lot of it. The drummer has two modes, blast, and blast faster. That said, the drums do sound good and are mixed pretty well, the bass drums not being TOO clicky. The vocalist is... there. He does some low vocals to go along with the music. Being as monotone and unintelligible as possible. Like I said, definitely mood music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHwWQyUOi6s

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

bensabre
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:37 pm 

Acid Bath - Dr. Seuss is Dead

For everyone who can enjoy thire metal slow, orignal and varied. Acid Bath is great. This song is a great example for Acid Bath brilliance. This song is agressive, atmospheric and dynamic. As the song goes on the the pace change the vocals change betwin clean harsh and both but the atmosphere stay angry and agrrsive. The song start off with a slow sludgy distorted giitar flowed by harsh vocals with occasional faster very short punky explotions, later on adding to the mix great clean vocals by Dax Riggs. The clean remind me a bit of Alice In Chainswho realy adds to the mix. throghout the song the pace change and move from a faster pace wuth thrashy riffs to the slower distorted sludge.
this is a great song makes me want to listen to Acid Bath after not doing it for a while now.

i couldnt find youtube for it but i think this link is just as good
http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Mutil ... _Grey_Rain

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:26 pm 

“A Season of Grey Rain” (by Mutilation Rites)

I guess it's kind of intriguing that the whole song teeters on the edge of total discord--as in, it feels like at any moment all of the instruments are going to be tossed down a long staircase--but honestly this crusty/sludgy black metal fails to engage me. The whole musical fracas wanders all over the place, but never finds a single hook or riff. Instead it's just wave after wave of faded sound that my ears inadvertently always begin to tune out as background noise. I listened to this song like four times and every time I felt like my brain shut off a few minutes in. Maybe it'll sound better as part of a full album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=holulZw1szw

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:57 am 

Unholy-Gray Blow

the organ intro followed by the ominous accoustic guitar really gives off a cold atmosphere right away. The vocals are interesting as the first half of the song is primarily clean, although there are moments of screached growls that add to the despair of the song. The guitar tone is good...really fits in with the song. The growls that start around the midpoint of the song are quite good, tortured if you will, and along with the riffs present at that time work really well. I feel that these growls suit the song more than the clean vocals that are more present in the song...However, aside from that, the song is still interesting as its labelled as death/doom, but I don't really hear alot of bass and the guitars are somewhat more in the mold of black metal as its kinda of thin....but the good thing is that the atmosphere in the song is great with a cold dark feeling the entire song. I'll be checking this album out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X16w1fCXp4

my last.fm

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:53 pm 

Cobalt - Stomach

Starts off as something technical and almost bouncy, vaguely sounding like 1349, followed by a more atmospheric section putting the listener on idle to create tension in order to change into a part of sheer agression that evolves into a industrial-war-like vision of modern Black Metal as Mayhem displayed on their Chimera album. The connecting element is the use of thrashing, technical riffing and percussion combined with hints of melody to create powerful yet precise aggression in a late 80s Death Metal or even Grindcore sense. The blatant use of hardcore style riffing at certain points will make the Black Metal fan suspicious, but it somehow fits into it's context by supporting the song's dramaturgy. What slowly but consequently crystallizes is a dark, majestic atmosphere comparable maybe to Immolation. Recommendable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcemTk_jvbA

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:46 pm 

@Tron
Good choice man, Cobalt is a fucking great band. If i had to choose, I think Gin would be my top black metal album of all time.

Ruins of Beverast - God's Ensanguined Bestiaries

Been meaning to check this bound out for a while. This is pretty good, not mind blowing, but good. My favourite part is the dudes voice. Perfect for the atmosphere. The guitar, while not really a standout on its own, does a lot to establish an atmosphere. Also the part with the melodic guitar is pretty awesome, as is the little solo at the end. Not sure how i feel about the brief clean vocals, not bad, but doesn't really seem necessary. Overall a good black metal song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo78Zpq-I6M

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:07 am 

dystopia4 wrote:

Well bugger me. This was quite fucking cool, with it's slightly more punked up take on metal. Either way, this slab of filth drives all the fucking way over you, only stopping to flip you the bird and spit in your face. There is a healthy dose of vitriol here, raging at King George (George Bush jr naturally), and it shines through with the biting snarl of the vocalist, which is just hidden beneath the dirty roaring guitar, and I like that. Usually this sort of thing doesn't grab me (especially the lyrical themes), but there is something about the relatively simple, pounding linear structure they've got here. This really doesn't move sideways at any time, it's head down all the way, but in a good way. Probably won't be checking any more out, but for now it was cool for what it is.

Pure filth.

My collection

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:58 pm 

Impure Worship - Praise the Goat

This is one of the extremely raw primitive sort. Naturally Beherit comes to mind during the parts of stomping, melodically basic riffing, alternating with sections of blast beat aggression. The shouted, inhuman growls assimilate into this dynamic as does the short bathoryesque "solo". There is a great deal of death metal ingredients, like the focus on rhythmic construction, so the song gets its black metal identity from the atmospheric whole (as should be). It can be categorized as war metal, as it is more a "situation" of half chaotic, half organized violence than a sophisticated composition. What is shown here is nothing special, new or original, but it is extremely well done and a good listen for the right people.

Now to something completely different:
http://soundcloud.com/auriana83/02-unbirthmark
(those who can't wrap their mind around female thrash vocals should skip this one)

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:13 pm 

Bliksem - Unbirthmark

I'd say this is plain good thrash. Not extremely original, but fun, angry, and with songwriting that is varied enough to keep my attention from slipping away (not like I'd listen to this often though). Regarding the vocals, well, I don't see why anyone who likes thrash would complain about them. They're angry, sarcastic and just a little screechy yet tuneful and strangely melodic at the same time. Really, this gal really knows what being a thrash vocalist means. To give yourself a good idea of her voice, just imagine what would Paul Baloff sound like if he were a chick and could also actually sing. Props must go to the guitar player/s too, for the riffs are varied enough and as catchy as herpes (even if not tremendously inventive). I particularly would like to highlight that doomy break that takes place around the three minute mark, as it sounds like it could easily belong to a first class sludge/stoner album (that is a good thing). The thrash riffs themselves though could use a bit more speed though, because even if they're good on their own, this is thrash, alright? So, you know..... THRASH AROUND A BIT GODDAMNIT!!! Also, I'm afraid there's not much to say about the rhythm section, as the drums just do their job and the bass is ("oh sur-fucking-prise!") practically nonexistent. And THAT production; c'mon dudes (and dudette)! You need a more vicious sound! Something more..... Carnivorous. That crystal clear, glossy sound doesn't work for what you're trying to do. Go listen to Slaughter in the Vatican and take some notes, for Dio's sake!

Seems like the chorus to this song will be stuck on my head forever.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:28 pm 

Ah Metal Church! These guys definitely knew how to write quality ballads and this is no exception. Little acoustic intro going on with Mike Howe's calm, soft vocals. After 1:30 the guitars kick in with some catchy, simple power chord riffing and Mike's starts to soar his heart out. The verse after becomes a bit heavier and Mike just leads the song. I found the solo to be bit lacking though. It's not bad, but I wouldn't say it does much for me. Fortunately there's some effective riffing going on in the backround before the song returns with the oh so simple but oh so powerful chorus, this time with a lead going on as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IykHu47u4I

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:36 pm 

Absu - Stone of Destiny.

Ah yes, the only Absu song I enjoy. The riffing is okay, starting off with some surprisingly mid-paced thrashy riffs that don't do a whole lot for me, but they allow the drums to shine. The vocals are a standard BM rasp, but they stand out in the ''chorus'' of sorts (the high pitched aahhhhhhhhh parts) the song progresses to a lamer and even slower riff but it's then followed by some melodic palm muting and the part after sounds a lot better with the faster guitars and thunderous blasting. I kind of wish Proscriptor played for a different band. After some well performed PM vocals, there's a pretty lame spoken section (yet with cool blasting behind it) All in all, I remember liking this more than I actually do now. To sum it up: cool drumming and vocals, average everything else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3rY6WJ9lhs

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:48 pm 

@Necroticism174:
Have you listened to Proscriptor's work in Melechesh?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:03 pm 

@Xlxlxlxlxlxlxlxxlxlxlx:
Yeah, I have. It's great. They're simply a better possible band in every possible way.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:01 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:

Well, well... what greeted my earphones upon clicking on this link was nothing like what I was expecting given the band name, and the cover. Well, okay, maybe some of it was what I was expecting (namely the keyboards), but as for the rest, I was somewhat surprised by the sheer power this has in doses. Not sure what to call this without looking them up, so I'll go with some sort of power/prog (maybe?) metal hybrid that actually works for a change. Seriously, the song writing is astounding, with healthy injections of minor key vocal work which lends weight and a sense of brooding, almost dark malevolence, or ill will. The guys pipes are nothing short of spectacular either; plenty of range without sacrificing the necessary punch and conviction. Production wise this is perfect, with tonnes of meaty bite to the guitars and excellent separation of each instrument. My only complaint would be the keyboards; this sort of thing is not my usual taste, and I like Arcturus, so go figure. I guess they feel a tad "comical" for mine, given the excellence shown throughout the rest of the track, but it IS only a minor point of contention with this number, as they do fit well. Overall this sort of impressed me.

Probably not for everyone's taste, but goddamn!

My collection

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:42 am 

@Necroticism174

Yeah it's the only Absu song I enjoy as well. You don't like the spoken word section huh? The piano melody that takes place at that section is pretty cool if you ask me.

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:11 am 

Witchrist - Temple of War

Goddamn indeed. This song is absolutely crushing. The guitar tone is what makes this song what it is, thanks to it being ridiculously heavy and repetitive. I'm not kidding when I say it's massive. Just because it's that heavy doesn't mean it's slow, though. The song is mid-paced most of the time, keeping things interesting and far from doomy. When it's not trudging along at that pace, though, it's going full fucking blast. This is the time when the drums are the most noticable thanks to the cymbal crashes. The drums and the vocals aren't anything to write home about, and there are points where you'll actually completely forget about them. All because of those guitars. Huge? Yes. Overpowering? Probably, but I'm not complaining. This is absolutely filthy and probably won't be everyday listening for me, but now that I'm in the mood I'm going to revel in the filth that these guys can create.

To continue the trend...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 72  Next