* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:59 am 

JM
Spoiler: show
This is actually from their EP Will To Power, which came out just before Stillbirth Machine. I've always known you would fall for this band if you heard the right thing in the right moment. I think we're getting there. You nailed down my favorite thing about them,
I think: It's got all the atmosphere and violence of death metal but the riffing is PURE. There's nothing in there but Frost, Voivod,
and hardcore punk. Period. You will not find a riff that sounds like canonical Possessed, or Death, or Morbid Angel. Keller just didn't write like that. And the drumming is completely off the wall which I assumed you'd dig. Hardly ever blasts, if ever. If he does it's some one-footed slop.

Skip Stillbirth Machine. Check out Dawn Bringer. Trust me. It has that rehearsal room sound that you're craving.

Lugubrum are gods.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:17 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
@ XLXLS
You seemed to enjoy Lugubrum, and that's cool. The chances were about fifty fifty (or something) that it'd get someone who hated it. They are a weird band but once you get it, there's just no turning back. Not sure if you were familiar at all before now but it sounds like you pinpointed their kind of aesthetic from the sound exactly. Of course, this is from the Arabic/Mid-east-inspired album, but I guess they are speaking Flemmish. I always look for the eccentric metal bands and Lugubrum have had me ensnared ever since their "Darkthrone-on-crack" De Totem album.

Oi, yeah Abom, that stuff was pretty cool, actually! It's not really something I would've ever stumbled upon on my own, as black metal isn't really my field, but I like what I heard. I should probably give the full album a listen. I'm a sucker for Arabic influences in metal.

FatTheGates
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:45 am 

Belladonna - "Spells Of Fear".

Smells of rear.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:00 am 

Wrong thread? :p

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:22 am 

Let's bring this thread back from the dead!

Droid - Cosmic Debt

Youthful, energetic thrash here. I recall their debut being even proggier in parts (which I've sampled but might as well just listen to at one point) but parts of this actually make me think of Metallica's respected debut, even though this guy doesn't sound like James Hetfield at all. Still, you get plenty of wild frantic riffing that's not very technical and definitely not crushing. I'm glad this doesn't sound like some band taking the usual thrash-gone-retro style but It's just that I'm not getting moved hearing this. I don't doubt that they're not trying - this sounds passionate and it's listenable and whatnot, but, eh yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwKA-r1vPBs

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:48 am 

Septicflesh - The Eldest Cosmonaut

Love me some early Septicflesh. This starts with a wall of watery guitar harmonies, and then quickly drops off into a plodding doom section replete with eerie clean guitars and keyboards. Clean female vocals provide contrast to Spiros' guttural proselytizing to quite a nice effect. Definitely has that 'Underwater Garden' vibe. The dual guitars shift from accentuating the main melody proffered by the keys and vocals with lead runs and melodic ornamentation, to becoming the dominant force and chugging the song into an entirely new direction with a surprise set of gnarly, twisted riffs. The main melody comes back, and by this point the main leitmotif has become addictive to go along with emotionally effecting. A set of melodic riffs builds nicely into another reiteration of the theme, then gives way to a plodding chug over which the female vocalist continues to wail. Fade to silence, and there you have an excellent song. Nobody sounded like early Septicflesh. Overall, another brilliant combination of gothic harmony, death metal vocals and doomy riffs that forge a mighty vehicle of musical transportation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oPmrEqG030

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:06 pm 

Crimson Thorn - Prophet of Death

Either this is a pretty cool underground thrash band, or I just live under a rock. It has a powerful chugging riff that I love, and I like the speed this one has. Not sure about the vocals though... for thrash I think I'd like something a little more understandable, and the vocalist's pronunciation reminds me of vocalists that don't even speak English as their first language. But I think I'll take a closer look at this demo sometime... I don't listen to a lot of thrash but I'm trying to change that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnrGCp-N7Bo
Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...

RIP DIAMHEA

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:19 pm 

Anthelion - The Tome of Broken Souls

Black metal from Taiwan eh? I suppose that I could compare this to Emperor's debut but while that record seem somewhat listenable, even if it's not my thing, this is just a bit of a bore. It start off rather well actually, but as soon as the riffs stopped and the vocals just kept going on, I knew this would be annoying. I'm all in for breaks between riffs and whatnot, but here I can't say that they do the song any favor at all. The vocals are standard BM vocals, the blasbeats and whatnot are fine, but err, give me more riffs! Honesty since I'm not an expert on this kind of thing, I don't have much else to say.

Couldn't the individual track on YouTube, but I don't think that should be a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te3onZEs_XE&t=31m0s

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:48 pm 

Doomentor - "Undead Rising" (I think)

Solid German death/doom. The riffs themselves are just kinda meh, but everything else works really nicely. The demo production gives the songs a reverb-drenched, ethereal quality. The frontman sounds really vile and full of conviction, while the guitars have this nice, meaty old school quality. Good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay1I58FwABQ

Flowersofevil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:33 pm 

Stereo Nasty -“Kill or Be Killed”

Fun, old school style metal band, complete with chunky guitars, raspy falsetto vocals,
and a driving beat. I definitely am into the whole throwback thing bands like this and Vulture are doing, although part of me feels like this sounds too much like Judas Priest. Maybe that’s not such a bad thing though, because I love Judas Priest.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:17 am 

Nocturnal Blood - Devastated Graves

This is some rough blackened mess - with a certain production job that makes the music sound quite cavernous. The faster sections really go one ear in and one ear out and while the song does slow down eventually, I can't say it things really change for the better as it just plods along until things speed up again. I also find the rough vocals to be a bit too dominant in the mix, making the riffs come off rather buried. Sure, this sounds dark and whatnot, but this kind of black metal has never been appealing to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQj1Aba-b6I&app=desktop

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:14 pm 

Thanks for keeping this thread alive, Colin and others.

Runemagick: "Abyss of Desolation"

Runemagick: A band I always meant to give some time but neglected, for whatever reason. This is a heavy, storming track, with a propulsive rhythm and pushy guitarwork that could be in a traditional metal band, though I think they downtune quite a bit here. I like the production a lot and the vocals are appropriate and have a nice vicious bite to them without standing out too much -- something that's actually hard to accomplish in this genre, where the singing is often either weak and reedy or just too "brutal" for what the melodicism of the song seems to demand. The song is generally faster than i was expecting (when it became I thought we were in for some trudging death/doom) and I like the way the band ends off the song with some more staccato "chugging" riff patterns. They really know how to write a tune and I admire that. The only thing that disappointed me a little was that I thought the guitarist was going to let loose with a screaming lead part, and it never happened -- indeed, lead guitar sections are short and understated/to the point, which I suppose many fans of this style might prefer, anyway (this ain't Arch Enemy, after all). I just thought there was a wild solo coming and felt a little empty when it didn't occur. Still though, really good song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rHsagxvF5w
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:29 pm 

@Abominatrix

Thanks man, I try. :lol: Also I'm not surprised you decided to check this out. Runemagick are a band I've been revisiting much of lately and Enter the Realm of Death has becoming one of my favorites. That song in particular might my favorite on there and personally I love the somewhat morose feel of it. I do agree that the lead part could be expanded but otherwise it's a really fantastic track.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:31 pm 

Lords of the Crimson Alliance - In the Arms of Morpheus

As with most of their tracks, this begins with a hilarious, hard to understand spoken intro. After the intro, we're blessed with some pretty crazy vocals, which are common on the rest of the album. In fact, the vocals on this record are some of my favourites in all of USPM. This track is slower than some of the others on the record, but the riffs and drumming are still spectacular, and the bass is prominent in the mix, which is always a plus for me. The solo seems to begin at the end of the last chorus, a little buried in the mix before being thrust to the forefront for the remainder of the song. All in all, this track kills, and this band kills. Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5GWTGSB8XM

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:41 am 

Hell - The Devil's Deadly Weapon

Hell are one of those bands that I've checked some material of but never bothered to hear more of. Apparently this song was written back in the 80's and it makes me wonder whether the demo version would sound more pleasant to my ears - the guitars sound loud but something about the tone doesn't excite me as much and the keys seem to appear for the sake of it. I could have done without this introduction but around the two minute mark we finally hear some riffs and as the song progresses, it doesn't really grab my attention or anything. The vocals have a rather dramatic feel to them and I'm not sure if it makes sense, but they remind me of a bit more sane and listenable version of Warrel Dane. I can think of better lengthy metal epics, this sure aint one of them in my book.

Couldn't find this track apart, but it's the first one of this album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jtR4lqLQcQ

Corpsey the Clown
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:32 pm 

The Chasm - Gravefields

This is the first track off their second album, 1995's 'From the Lost Years.' I always liked me some Chasm ('The Spell of Retribution' in particular), mostly for Daniel Corchado's vocals. His performance on Incantation's 'Diabolical Conquest' was legendary as well, and while this melodic death/doom song doesn't approach the sheer sonic malignancy of that album, it still delivers some solid metal. The production is muffled and lacks punch, but the instruments are pretty well balanced. Daniel's screams are at the forefront without overwhelming the song, which is more a creeper than a crusher. It settles over me like a black fog, establishing an atmosphere without evoking much energy or excitement until the last thirty seconds or so when Corchado really lets loose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyiyg-41gMA

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:59 am 

Thanks for saving this thread!

Dawnbringer - Nobody There

Starts off with a laid back Sabbath-esque riff, before the vocals appear that are rather restrained and laid back. I'll admit I was rather caught off guard because apparently they play heavy metal with metal metal influence. Anyway, I didn't really get hooked until the chorus kicked the vocals become a bit more powerful and an effective guitar lead suddenly appears that's doing its job well. I could imagine this band has some pretty cool tunes, but truth to be told this one doesn't convince me as it feels a bit ''safe''.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuc_MCWOfck

Corpsey the Clown
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:28 pm 

@ colin040
Yeah, this was definitely one of Dawnbringer's "safer" tracks from that album. It's modern traditional metal with no bells or whistles, but that's what I like about it. I agree that the chorus packs a nice punch, due to the lyrical content as much as the sound. I've made up countless music videos in my head while listening to this song. The latter half of the album gets darker with songs like One-Eyed Sister and Not Your Night.

Ceremonium - Delusions of Grandeur

Hello! I'm liking this! Ceremonium were an American death metal outfit that started off in 1992, just as the genre was losing steam. They carried on until 2004 when, according to our Encyclopedia, "member Brandon Diaz was receiving medical treatment for his cancer." This particular song is from their 2000 album 'No Longer Silent' and, quite frankly, it destroys. I love the drum sound and the twisted guitar tone; there's a demented, pulsing melody that pops up twice in the song and really separates it from the pack. I've never heard anything quite like it. Diaz also offers some variety in his vocals; the standard death growl predominates, but there are a few black metal-style screams as well.

Ceremonium stayed fairly active in their time, producing two demos, an EP, a compilation, and two full-lengths. Which is good, because I want to hear a lot more of these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLWWqUC3nho

in_the_sign_of_metal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:32 pm 

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. Great idea to encourage quick exploration and review.
Draconian - Heaven Laid In Tears (Angels' Lament):
The song begins with some nice laid back ambiance and slow bass and drum work which is quickly melded with a lead and soothing vocals. The overall sound here reminds me of something that could have easily been a newer Amorphis song, it seems in the same vein as "Queen Of Time," especially with the introduction of the harsh vocals in the heavier segments of the song. Another nice addition to the song were the subtle piano usage in the end. But the synths that back everything up seem to overpowering when they just drone over the guitars and double bass, but maybe that's just my fickle attitude towards synth speaking. Not a particularly mind blowing song overall, but not a dud either. I give it a 7.5/10.
Here's some neat melodic black metal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekYT0fU00HU

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:20 pm 

in_the_sign_of_metal wrote:
Here's some neat melodic black metal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekYT0fU00HU

it good.

This is the world's shortest funeral doom song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybGOT4d2Hs8

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:21 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:

This is the world's shortest funeral doom song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybGOT4d2Hs8

Napalm Death - You Suffer.

It's really really short, hardy-fucking-har. Next:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv5_PtpgaUc

Corpsey the Clown
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:00 pm 

Primordial - As Rome Burns

Always meant to check out Primordial; I consistently heard awesome things about them for years, but never got around to them. Hearing them for the first time I'm not sure how to classify them, but they're metal as hell and that's good enough for now. This powerful 9-minute song from their 2007 album 'To the Nameless Dead' (which boasts an impressive 97% approval rating) chronicles the dissolution and ruin of the Roman Empire as it was fatally destabilized by the rise of Christianity. The production is suitably filthy, the wall of sound is inescapably dense and suffocating, the singer kicks all kinds of ass, and the band's passion is unmistakable. The midpoint of the song is a slow, deliberate drum section with whispered vocals underneath that gradually become louder: "sing, sing, sing to the slaves; sing to the slaves that Rome burns." Epic stuff.

I was tempted to post something from Anal Cunt's 'Picnic of Love' but since it's not April 1st anymore, have this instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go3vl08Nn_E

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:14 pm 

Bloodbath - Year of the Cadaver Race

Ah, Bloodbath, one of those bands that tried to bring death metal back when it certainly wasn't in anymore. I really like the intentions of these kind of bands, yet sadly their execution just doesn't leave much of an impression. The vocals are venomous and impressive I'll admit, but the sort of been-there-done-that-riffing goes one ear in and one ear out. Yes it's in the classic Swedish style and the track starts off well, but quickly I'm just getting reminded that this has been done much better and earlier. The breaks in between aren't exactly beneficial either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmV2NUviRUQ

in_the_sign_of_metal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:15 pm 

Adramelch - "Fearful Visions"
Going off the bleak album artwork and initial impression of the production of the song, I was almost expecting a second wave black metal onslaught to begin with the arrival of the vocals. So many things seem at odds with the song but it actually manages to make everything work, the fuzzy production with the toms barely punching through, the icy harmonics and the powerful clean vocals that really remind me of the N.W.O.B.H.M. Enjoyable stuff! 8/10.

This next one is a neat mix of Kreator, Exodus and Judas Priest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CxPpZhPPfM

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:44 am 

Vulture - Rapid Fire (Judas Priest cover)

Alright so we have a thrash metal band covering a JP track and making it obviously sound thrashier. It's enjoyable and obviously different than the JP version. The vocals sound like Paul Baloff and the whole track sounds like a lot of fun. I just don't have anything else to say, really...I mean, it remains a cover so heh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6s6ajznNBM

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72