Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
burnroasted
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:52 pm 

Not sure if there are many Lunar Shadow fans here, but they just announced this on their facebook and had an interesting description of what it will sound like:

THE SMOKELESS FIRES

German metallers LUNAR SHADOW will enter Glooven Studios in Leipzig in November to begin work on
their sophomore album “The Smokeless Fires”, which will see the light of day in early 2019 via Cruz Del Sur Music.

The follow-up to 2017’s “Far From Light” will mark the first LUNAR SHADOW album to feature new singer Robert Roettig, who replaces Alex Vornam. After a couple of live
appearances alongside bands as DESASTER, SPELL, TOKYO BLADE, OLD and VISIGOTH and a much-
needed break away from the guitar, lead guitarist Max 'Savage' Birbaum started assembling new songs, which, as he explains, will take LUNAR SHADOW in a new, but also familiar direction.

“Robert sounds different — his vocals are a bit more high-pitched than before, yet he still has
this obscure-Valusian touch to it,” says Birbaum. “I'd say that the album sounds a lot like LUNAR SHADOW, yet with some new elements. I guess you could say that there are more black metal-influences this time, more DISSECTION riffs and even some blast-beats, but still held together by twin guitar leads. Yet, as always, I just do what I want to do, so there will also be a piano ballad plus a song with New Wave-influences. The album sounds like if WISHBONE ASH played ‘Far Away From the Sun’ by SACRAMENTUM back in 1976 while having sex
with a dryad.”

Whereas “Far From Light” tackled lyrical topics about death, “The Smokeless Fires” will be about another crucial element of the human spectrum: passion. “‘The Smokeless Fires’ are our passions, the things that drive us on, keep us going, prevent us from death, things that break us down, shatter us, make us vanish,” notes Birbaum. “[New song] ‘Laurelindórenan’ is inspired by the writings of Tolkien, ‘Red Nails (For The Pillar Of Death)’ and ‘Conajohara No More’ are based upon stories by Robert E. Howard. The lyrical themes haven't changed that much, I still write about life, death, lost love, depression, ancient cities, broken swords and ghastly
spells.”

The album’s artwork was created by Portland, Oregon-based artist Adam Burke (Nightjar art of Adam Burke), who previously handled the band’s 2015 “Triumphator” EP. Depicting a storm of fire lingering around two lovers, the album cover, like most of Burke’s work, is visually-appealing and fits the album’s themes perfectly. “The combination of two, forming something strange and beautiful,” says Birbaum. “Love is maybe one of our strongest passions. We long for it, we lose it, we starve ourselves to get it, we throw it away, when we weary. Love is important. And a good reason to die for.”

“The Smokeless Fires” track listing:

1. Catch Fire
2. Conajohara No More
3. Roses
4. Pretend
5. Laurelindórenan
6. Red Nails (For The Pillar Of Death)
7. Hawk Of The Hills

Shadows are spreading...

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:20 am 

Interesting stuff. Really loved the debut, so the fact that things are being switched up already has me excited and wary. I’m bummed the first vocalist is gone, he really fit their softer and folksy style to a tee. But at least we got a great, long full length with him, unlike the original singer for Gatekeeper that I really liked :( I think as long as the sense of ancient melody remains then I’ll be pleased. I suppose the fact that this guy has such a clear vision for the next record bodes well, at least.

Now I need to jam Far Away from the Sun and Argus until November arrives!
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:35 am 

I'm curious to see how they'll sound with a new vocalist. Their debut is still pretty great!

burnroasted
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:14 am 

I think the new guy will be an upgrade. I'm just basing this off of the one live YouTube video I saw of him. Seemed to have pretty good range compared to the old guy.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:19 am 

The old guy did have a certain charm. But I can see why a new vocalist was chosen.

"I guess you could say that there are more black metal-influences this time, more DISSECTION riffs and even some blast-beats, but still held together by twin guitar leads."

Alright alright, color me excited.

burnroasted
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:38 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
The old guy did have a certain charm. But I can see why a new vocalist was chosen.

"I guess you could say that there are more black metal-influences this time, more DISSECTION riffs and even some blast-beats, but still held together by twin guitar leads."

Alright alright, color me excited.

Seriously. One of my favorite new bands taking influence from one of my old favorite bands. You can't beat that.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:00 pm 

I enjoyed their debut, so I have fairly high hopes for this. That they are releasing another album so soon is unexpected, but I'm optimistic that their creative juices are simply that strong. One aspect that I am curious about is if they expand or contract the length of their songs. As good as the debut was, the 58-minute runtime was a bit much. Good music is good music, but it would be more enjoyable to me if it were a little shorter. If they instead expand it, say 7 songs at over an hour, that could get tiresome unless the album is AOTY-level. Still, happy to hear there will be another album.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:25 pm 

StainedClass95 wrote:
I enjoyed their debut, so I have fairly high hopes for this. That they are releasing another album so soon is unexpected, but I'm optimistic that their creative juices are simply that strong. One aspect that I am curious about is if they expand or contract the length of their songs. As good as the debut was, the 58-minute runtime was a bit much. Good music is good music, but it would be more enjoyable to me if it were a little shorter. If they instead expand it, say 7 songs at over an hour, that could get tiresome unless the album is AOTY-level. Still, happy to hear there will be another album.

It'll be about two years by the time it comes out... not too quick really.

The debut was really good although I am not always in the mood for it. They have a distinct style. Interested to hear this one - cool song titles and the music description sounds intriguing.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:19 pm 

man the description of this sounds so fucking dope. looking forward to this for sure.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:12 am 

I just got the promo and this is sounding pretty great on first listen. There aren't as many blackened elements as I was expecting (or any really) but it does pull from a lot of influences while keeping the debut's atmosphere.

Reply to topic