Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
dildos54
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:58 am 

You're a dildo.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:04 am 

Let's turn this into a serious discussion.
The first album had some great funny lyrics, but the music was just average. The second one was vastly improved music-wise, but the lyrics weren't as humorous.
Anybody here have an opinion on the third one?

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:19 am 

yeah, actually, I do. I did a review on it. It sounds a lot more like Scandinavian melodeath this time around, strangely. It works for the album, and I really liked it.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Pixie_of_Death
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:50 am 

Am still trying to find a copy of the third one, I very much would like to listen to it

As for the first to albums, I agree - the first one was just more of the songs that were in the actual tv series (which isn't bad, some were fucking badass, but they were mostly joke/satirical) whereas the second album was much more of an actual metal album. Given that I am a huge fan of Scandinavian melodeath, I really look forward to the new one

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:21 am 

I thought their third was their best so far, although my favorite Brendon Small album is Galaktikon.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:34 am 

Quote:

Dethklok is something better left on television IMO.

I mean, I actually enjoy the show well enough, but not the merchandising/music end of it. I don't really think the music is good enough to stand on its own (by that I mean "TRVE" enough. I'm not trying to say the musicians involved are untalented).

the songs are too short and too safe and not even remotely "brutal"... I guess it doesn't help that I am not a fan of Melodic Death Metal...

What really bugs me is how they inexplicably blend the "high brow" sound of rather smooth "Melo-Death" with low-brow lyrics and personalities that are typically associated with a far less refined style of DM.

I understand it's an attempt at making a more musically-digestible product with a more entertaining cast (who wants to watch a show about a bunch of boring nerds who attended a music conservatory and decided to start a Melo-Death band?), but it just doesn't translate.

In short, I like the show, but I'd never buy the albums. It's entertaining as a package, but it's not empowering to the metal community (if that makes sense?). It's much too watered down for that. I don't feel the music is able to stand alone.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:43 am 

I heard a Dethklok album once, don't remember which one, and it was the lamest shit I've ever heard. My grandfather could make death metal with more intensity than that turd Brendon Small.
Not good, neither as metal or whatever other genre, not interesting, not entertaining, not even laughable. K-On is more metal than this.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:55 am 

It's one of most unfunny things I have ever seen. A couple of people I know were into it a couple of years ago. I decided to watch one episode with them... It was one of the most akward experiences in my life. Sitting there silently while the rest is continuously laughing and grinning AND GIVING EACH OTHER HIGH FIVES was absolutely terrifying. Nothing is worse than hearing people repeat unfunny punchlines with a fake growl voice.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:57 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:

Let's not. Let's start a thread with a sensible OP or something instead, if you really wish to discuss this.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.