Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Vamos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:35 am 

Damn, it is a shame Slugathor split up. I agree about the difference in sound between both bands and I personally prefer Slugathor to Desecresy; I like the riffs, drumming and vocals better as well as the overall feel of the songs.

In that vein, are there any other OSDM revivalism gems that are similar to Slugathor? In particular their Echoes from Beneath album? More of that slow and filthy style of OSDM with really deep growls? Love it! :P

Or would this be the wrong thread for such a request?

The Infamous Bastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:26 am 

^ Undergang comes to mind. I've only checked out "Indhentet af Døden" which is a solid, solid album!

Vamos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:50 am 

Yeah I've heard Undergang'a other album, thanks! It was really nice but the growls are sadly really low in the mix :( Is the previous album better in this regard?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:47 pm 

Oh man, I fucked up last night. I was thinking about Undergang's debut and you were actually talking about the sophomore... :brick:

Anyway, yeah, it's the debut album that has a really bassy production. Reminds me of that monstrous bass tone Rottrevore had. I just checked the sophomore now and the only way the vocals seem to be more prominent by equalizing it is if you make a drop at 120Hz. That seems to make them a bit more noticeable but they're still below the guitars in the mix. Never noticed it before to be honest.

I too agree with MacMoney on the Slugathor vs Desecresy thingy. They're not the same band for obvious reasons, but I think there's enough overlapping for someone who's a fan of one of them to be of the other as well. I also prefer Slugathor because they owe much more to Bolt Thrower, and I'm a sucker for BT. But if Desecresy manages to continue down the road they've headed with the sophomore, and actually improve it just a notch, I think we'll all be in for a treat. More classic Finnish and less Boltthrowerish yeah, but still very good. It's not everyday that you see someone aping Depravity's leads with class.

Vamos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:40 pm 

Hehe no problem, androdion! I have yet to listen to their first one, but I'll tweak the EQ settings tonight to see how it improves the low vocals on the second album. Thanks for the tips.

Can't wait to see what Desecresy does next :)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:06 pm 

Do listen to the debut, although the CD version is fucked up in the separation of the songs. It's very intense and has some really good riffs.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:56 pm 

Bolzer - Aura (2013)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvkoqNrHFdw

This is just an EP but it is really, really good. Occult black/death metal with heavy dissonant ritualistic riffing. The vocals are varied with one style being cavernous death growls, and the other more black oriented with screeching. The production helps give it a really dark atmosphere and the song structures are relatively progressive.

Sounds somewhat like a mix of Immolation, Behemoth, with a little of Blut Aus Nord's TWWTG, and maybe Dark Tribe as well.

painfulserenity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:12 pm 

I don't know if you guys will agree, but Decrepit Birth sounds very oldschool.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:20 pm 

No, they really don't. Neither their first album which was pretty much straight blasting brutal death metal to their later era of tech-death. Not an ounce of oldschool flavor at all.

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:06 am 

AcidWorm wrote:
Bolzer - Aura (2013)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvkoqNrHFdw

This is just an EP but it is really, really good. Occult black/death metal with heavy dissonant ritualistic riffing. The vocals are varied with one style being cavernous death growls, and the other more black oriented with screeching. The production helps give it a really dark atmosphere and the song structures are relatively progressive.

Sounds somewhat like a mix of Immolation, Behemoth, with a little of Blut Aus Nord's TWWTG, and maybe Dark Tribe as well.

Yes, one of the best releases of 2013, so good! Been so long since I've listened to it on the computer I just realized how much better it sounds on Vinyl, pick it up people.

Can't believe I missed this band, I suppose because I was off the grid first half of 2013. Anyway Old Skin seems solid from the few tracks I've heard, they have the bassist of Anhedonist and I guess they've played a few local shows in the NW in the last year and will be playing in January. https://soundcloud.com/oldskin

Aaattaack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:12 am 

My personal favourite is still Stench Of Decay, maybe the only new band, that deserved the term "finnish death metal" in terms of quality. its a fucking pity that they split up.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:31 am 

Welllll... I find a lot of the typical OSDM bands kinda boring. Never been much of a fan of the swedeath sound and a lot of the doomier atmospheric stuff just doesn't keep me engaged... short attention spans and all... but here's some bands playing old style death metal that aren't the typical OSDM sound that rule pretty hard.

Disfigurement - Soul Rot (2013)
http://borisrecords.bandcamp.com/album/soul-rot-cd
(Channeling Vader and Morbid Angel pretty hard)

Living Decay - Doomed To Last (2010)
http://livingdecay.bandcamp.com/releases
(Total Autopsy worship. Dark Descent just put out their split EP with Anatomia)

Organ Donor - s/t (2012)
http://organdonor1.bandcamp.com/
(Huge Cannibal Corpse influence. Andy and Nick formerly from Cannabis Corpse's new band)

RUDE - Haunted (2013)
http://rudedeathmetal.bandcamp.com/track/haunted
(Pestilence and Morbid Angel out the ass)

War Master - Blood Dawn (2013)
http://warmaster.bandcamp.com/album/blood-dawn-3
(Bolt Thrower worship)
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Vamos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:56 pm 

androdion wrote:
Do listen to the debut, although the CD version is fucked up in the separation of the songs. It's very intense and has some really good riffs.

Listening to it now and the vocals in Undergang's debut are MUCH better than in the sophomore. Even with the same setup (with no EQ tricks) I can listen to them just fine and while they are a little low, they are felt; contrary to the how it is on the other album. I wonder what happened in the other album when it came to the mixing. Hopefully we see a remaster of it sometime.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:09 pm 

Talking out of experience here, stuff that comes out on Xtreem bears almost always some minor fuck ups. Shush... you didn't hear it from me. :oh shit:

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:23 am 

Beyond - Fatal Power of Death (2013)
Fast, chaotic, and dirty death metal along the lines of Tribulation. One of my favourite styles of death metal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8voJeBI2NRE

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:39 am 

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:15 am 

painfulserenity wrote:
I don't know if you guys will agree, but Decrepit Birth sounds very oldschool.

:ugh:

"You make it easy."

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:47 am 

That Bodyfarm sounds damn great. I'll go seek that out.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:22 pm 

Yeah, the second Bodyfarm album is way better than the first. It's got a nice mix of early European DM styles and some real catchy riffs. The dude's leads are cool, too.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:34 am 

Yea I had even forgotten about the first one but I just went on and picked that up regardless.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:00 pm 

Goddamnit guys, now I have two more bands to check out! :lol:

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:19 pm 

Oniricous - Ritos Diabolicos (2013)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHjNqbznqwk

Solid release from Razorback Recordings with a Lovecraftian theme. The music is pretty energetic and catchy with memorable riffs. The vocals seem pretty easy to decipher but are in Spanish.

Deserted Fear (2012)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEkrqH5XI3E

Takes elements of a range of death metal styles such as the Swedish and the Finnish but Asphyx or Hail of Bullets is probably the biggest influence with the thick and doomy guitar tone, and the vocalist is quite similar to Van Drunnen with the howling.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:45 pm 

Nominon - Terra Necrosis (2007)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT7Gd_YOzjM
Very good Swedish death metal from a band that has been around for a long time. Along the lines of Entombed and Dismember. I still need to check out the rest of their catalogue.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:50 pm 

You won't be disappointed. All if it is pretty much right along the same lines as of that album. Just great stuff overall.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:50 pm 

Nucleus - The Colony

and no , they are not a Nocturnus ripoff :)

plain old school death metal,

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:41 pm 

:( I really wished they were a Nocturnus rip off. Maybe that'll be my new project to do...

Doesn't sound like there is any bass in the mix... I'll have to come back to this and check it again. It's one of those mixes where everything sounds nice (aside from bass) individually but as a whole... vocals are too loud. drums while sound good and natural are way too loud. the guitars need to be louder and more full. basically there is nothing in the middle to kinda cement it all together. I'd like this more if this was just more of demos than what the actual finished project would be. I'd even live with it if the physical copy is on the cheaper end. the songs sound alright out of the two I've just listened to. I want to basically like it more just due to the logo and the artwork.

wyzt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:34 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Doesn't sound like there is any bass in the mix... I'll have to come back to this and check it again. It's one of those mixes where everything sounds nice (aside from bass) individually but as a whole... vocals are too loud. drums while sound good and natural are way too loud. the guitars need to be louder and more full. basically there is nothing in the middle to kinda cement it all together. I'd like this more if this was just more of demos than what the actual finished project would be. I'd even live with it if the physical copy is on the cheaper end. the songs sound alright out of the two I've just listened to. I want to basically like it more just due to the logo and the artwork.

I was surprised to see the EP posted here. It is a free download. I never expected more than a few local people to ever hear it, and it was just recorded pretty quickly for free with a friend. I wanted to try and maybe get someone to remix it later on once I saw more people checking it out, but the guy who recorded us disappeared off the face of the earth. Seriously.

If I had any idea more than 20 people would ever hear it(as of now downloads are well more than in the 500+ range across multiple sources and now 500 copies of the CD were printed by Anopsys Records) I would have spent money to get it properly recorded. Will def be striving for way more in future releases....anyway it IS a free download here http://nucleus.bandcamp.com/album/the-colony

AcidWorm wrote:
Beyond - Fatal Power of Death (2013)
Fast, chaotic, and dirty death metal along the lines of Tribulation. One of my favourite styles of death metal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8voJeBI2NRE

I love this damn album. One of the top few albums I've heard this year by far. Time to pop it on again for another listen...

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:43 am 

I discovered the EP through death metal invasion if i remember well.... I dig it the way The Colony was recorded. Sometimes it's good to listen to something more raw and unpolished to take some time off from the general overproduced/overpolished stuff we're so used of hearing ;p

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:41 am 

Cool deal wyzt, but I don't download anything. Even if it's free. I just never listen to it. So there is no point. Basically if it's not something physical I don't bother listening unless I'm just checking it out like above. But I wish ya luck!

wyzt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:14 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Cool deal wyzt, but I don't download anything. Even if it's free. I just never listen to it. So there is no point. Basically if it's not something physical I don't bother listening unless I'm just checking it out like above. But I wish ya luck!

Understood, for reference since you mentioned price, for our small first run of CDs we printed we charged $5...and the new anopsys ones I think hes selling for $6. If you are interested I could send you a free copy if you PM me your address. If not its cool :-P, haha. Thanks.

AcidWorm wrote:
Oniricous - Ritos Diabolicos (2013)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHjNqbznqwk

Oh man I just saw this posted...I really really like this. Thanks.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:09 pm 

I'm hitting you up. And I'll be happy to trade with some of my wares if you like anything. appreciate it.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:11 pm 

Hey I'm down to get a copy and I'm more than happy to trade with ya with anything I've done:
speedritualrecords.storenvy.com if you are interested more in osdm I would say check Filtheater, Draug, and Scowl out. Everything else is anything from grindcore to doom to weirdo death metal. The albums all have links to their bandcamps.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:53 am 

MortalScum wrote:
Half of this thread is basically an ad for Dark Descent records
ha ha ha ha! classic :lol:

Necronipple
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:47 pm 

I'd like to mention Obliteration. Their last two albums are both fantastic, with Black Death Horizon being my 2013 album of the year.

http://blackdeathhorizon.bandcamp.com/album/black-death-horizon

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:33 pm 

I'm working on my death metal releases list of the year and Obliteration is going to be in my top 5.

Necronipple
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:56 pm 

It's a great album, and it was an awesome year for death metal. One of the best in a long time.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:38 am 

Necronipple wrote:
It's a great album, and it was an awesome year for death metal. One of the best in a long time.

Indeed. Here is my top 40. I already realized I missed a few like Mitochondrion and Autopsy I need to check out but oh well.

Spoiler: show
1. Bolzer - Aura (EP)
Really impressive occult black/death metal. Can hear a trace of Immolation with some of the harsh and dissonant riffing. The whole EP flows really well with excellent song writing. Really looking forward to a full length.

2. Aevengelist - Omen Ex Simulacra
This is a soundtrack to a horror movie pretty much. Drenched in atmosphere and lots of hellish ambience throughout. This is like some of the more morbid funeral doom projects in terms of atmosphere but more rooted in death metal instead of doom, and they manage to maintain a strong consistency with the song writing.

3. Sacriphyx - The Western Front
Now here is a monster of an album. A concept album that deserves to be listened to in its entirety. Took me a few listens to really begin to appreciate the quality of this and all the little touches they throw throughout. This is very atmospheric, and quite melodic. This feels primarily rooted in traditional metal but more extreme with a lot of black and death metal elements.

4. Obliteration - Black Death Horizon
This album reaks in ominous atmosphere. A lot of Autopsy here with numerous other influences thrown within. A lot of disjointed and meandering riffing, with the songs presenting something different than the last. Certainly an album that deserves to be listened to all the way through.

5. Ulcerate - Vermis
Twisting and churning rhythms that we have come to expect from Ulcerate. This is an album that makes you very uncomfortable when listening to it simply because it is so jarring and dark sounding. The song writing is pretty top notch here, and the production is very good. I found this a step up from The Destroyer of All.

6. Zealotry - The Charnel Expanse
This is something death metal needs more of. Zealotry do not aim to fit in the safe zone that the majority of these old-school revival bands do. They prefer to attempt to forge their own path and separate themselves as something fresh in the scene. This is quite technical and there is a clear Immolation influence with the guitar twanging that helps characterize Immolation but the riffing is a lot more off the wall technical, and there is a lot of tempo changes.

7. Sulphur Aeon - Swallowed by the Ocean's Tide
This is a monster of an album. Quite different than the vast majority of death metal bands that we have come to be familiar with of recent years. This is more upbeat and grandiose in scope than the vast majority of death metal releases that have been popping up, and this doesn't really stray much into melo-death territory which is a good thing while still being fairly melodic. This is lovecraftian concept album that is best listened to all the way through.

8. Decaying - The Last Days of War
They continue the Hail of Bullets worship that they have been doing except they have increased the quality of the song writing. Encirclement was a little long winded and focusing more on atmosphere and less on the pummelling riffs, but they found a better balance here.

9. Tyrant's Blood - Into the Kingdom of Graves
This is very chaotic and like a bestial version of Brain Drill except they don't go overboard with the noodling to the point of losing focus and song writing like the majority of technical brutal death metal. This is more rooted in oldschool death metal as well and not in brutal death metal.

10. Necrowretch - Putrid Death Sorcery
Necrowretch go back to a time when thrash metal was transitioning into death metal. This sounds like it came out around 1989 style wise but with a more modern production, and by modern I don't mean in a negative sense as it is not plastic by any means. Lots of interesting riffs and shouted vocals. They don't aim for the all out aggression like Repugnant or Excorciate but are more along the lines of Carnage.

11. Death Karma - A Life Not Worth Living (EP)
This is some thrashy and murky black/death metal with a thick production. The drummer comes from Lykathea Aflame as well. This is a very nice EP and hopefully more to be heard from these guys in the future.

12. Verminous - The Unholy Communion
Swedish death metal with solos! Has a lot of jumpy riffs and jumpy bass work that is a little uncommon for this style but they don't go into melodic death metal which is nice, and contain the Swedish trademark buzz saw guitar tone. The leads are also good. Imagine a spazzed out Grave.

13. Necroblood - Second Blood (EP)
Bestial black/death metal with a monstrous sound. This one really came out of nowhere and caught be my surprise. Only 2 songs, so I hope they get a full length out soon, but this really wets my appetite for one. If you really like the crudeness of bands like Blasphemy, Beherit, Archgoat, and Profanatica then I strongly urge you to check this out.

14. Beyond - Fatal Power of Death
Fast and relentless thrashy death metal with an oldschool production job. Big influence from Possessed, and maybe Dark Angel as well. The production is a bit thin as they are going for that 80s sound and so the bass is low in the mix. Looking forward to hearing more from these guys.

15. Crypticus - The Barrens
Not heard much discussion about this band for some reason. I haven't had the pleasure of listening to their other material but this is a very solid album. Quite a range of influences here. There is a fun and campy vibe to this with the upbeat catchy riffing and an Impetigo influence that is very typical of Razorback recordings, except this feels a lot more serious and mature. Big Swedish influence as well with the buzzsaw guitar tone and one reviewer compared to Cemetery which I agree with for the atmosphere and use of guitar leads.

16. Altars - Paramnesia
This is along the lines of those wave of black/death metal bands like Mitochondrion and Ulcerate, and done very well.

17. Grave Miasma - Odori Sepulcrorum
Another band taking the hellish, cavernous approach to death metal. They explored a few styles of the darker death and bestial black metal bands to form their own sound. This is fairly ritualistic and haunting blackened death metal with a very hellish atmosphere, and the song writing is very strong, and much better than a lot of the similar bands.

18. Cerekloth - In the Midst of Life we are in Death
I guess this is a little warmer for the most part than typical other old-school death metal takes. The music is black/death metal that is often fairly doomy. The vocals are very good growls that are slightly choking in style and they include screeches. Halo of Syringes is the best song here and feels a little out of the place in that it is so different with the demented reptilian vocals and doomier riffing. The song structures feel a little progressive and this album was a real grower on me.

19. Lantern - Below
Bit punkish with some death n' roll sensibilities. Nice use of guitar solos, and sounds like a mishmash of Swedish and Finnish death metal.

20. Demonical - Darkness Unbound
Been a very consistent band with the typical Entombed, Dismember, and Grave worship with that buzz saw tone and d-beat catchy riffing. This album is another solid entry into their catalogue.

21. Irkallian Oracle - Grave Ekstasis
Very cavernous and hellish black/death metal along the lines of Antideluvian. The riffs are very repetitive and trance inducing. This release seems to have stayed under the radar this year and I hope it can get a little more exposure as it is well worth listening to.

22. Grave Upheaval - Untitled
Well now. We have a band trying really hard to be as extreme as possible with the cavernous death metal style. There is a complete wall of sound here full of fuzz. The drums are very slow and ritualistic. The vocals are just incomprehensible cavernous growls. The whole setting is fairly trance inducing so if you are drugged up and looking for a dense atmosphere this album would be a excellent choice to listen to.

23. Tribulation - The Formulas of Death
Their debut was an absolute killer and Tribulation has opted for a different approach which was a smart move as the last album was very close to perfection. This is a more mature death metal release which is quite technical, and progressive with influences thrown in from black metal to jazz. It took a few listens to grow on me and is certainly worth it, although I still prefer their debut album.

24. Sorcery - Arrival at Six
Very punkish death metal in the vein of Dismember. Just a solid album.

25. Bodyfarm - The Coming Scourge
Mostly grinding punkish Swedish death metal in the d-beat style even if they are from the Netherlands. Their riffs are very memorable and the vocals are raspy shouts rather than gutturals. Just a solid album.

26. Krypts - Unending Degradation
Doomy death metal in the classic Finnish style. Unfortunately they feel a bit on the long winded style compared to their influences but nevertheless a good release.

27. Imprecation - Satanae Tenebris Infinita
Also heard their compilation of their 90s material and enjoyed a lot so was looking forward to this when I discovered it had been released. While this is some enjoyable bestial black/death metal it isn't as good as their earlier material. The riffs just don't grab me as much and I feel they sound better when they keep things at a face pace instead of when they slow it down into doom territory.

28. Vorum - Poisoned Void
I enjoyed their EP a few years ago (you can read my review under my old moniker) so was looking forward to this one. The music is quite Incantation inspired as well as the Finnish scene through the eerie leads. A lot of reverb is used here to give a cavernous vibe and the vocals have some echo to them. The atmosphere they are going for is a very ominous and hypnotic one, which is pretty standard of the Finnish scene of the early 90s and quite a few of the recent bands. A chunk of the songs work really well such as Thriving Darkness (A monster of a song), but others just fall flat for me. Overall, a bit inconsistent but certainly some good material here that makes it all worth it.

29. Kingdom - Morbid Priest of Supreme Blasphemy
Mix of the Swedish and Finnish scenes for the most part. Slightly ominous riffing, at a midpaced with a bit of the catchy swedish riffing. The vocals are fairly varied including some whispers, croaking, and growls. Pretty decent songwriting.

30. Hail of Bullets - III: The Rommel Chronicles
If you are familiar with other Hail of Bullets albums or even modern Asphyx you should know what to expect here as this is pretty much the same as before. Another nice addition to the catalogue but not quite up to the standard of their other two albums.

31. Oniricous - Ritos Diabolicos
Lovecraftian death metal in Spanish, with lyrics that are easy to understand. Their formula of death metal is quite chugging and catchy, with a thick sound to it, and not too morbid.

32. Revel in Flesh - Manifested Darkness
Their debut was pretty much Grave, Entombed and Dismember worship. While I really enjoy that style they failed to really grab me. The songs are certainly an improvement here, and the production job is really excellent, although I think they can still do better f they make the songwriting more interesting as the songs do feel like they drag a bit.

33. Immolation - Kingdom of Conspiracy
Pretty typical Immolation sounding album. Unfortunately the song writing isn't quite up to their usual standard and so it is a bit boring. They got a pretty strong catalogue so when I am in the mood for Immolation I most likely will just stick with one of their other albums.

34. Gorguts - Colored Sands
They really went for the dissonant, off the wall twanging with discordant chords that bands like Deathspell Omega and Blut Aus Nord helped popularize with their 2003 or 2004 releases. They also added in a lot of atmospheric touches to give the album some much needed flow and focus. Not my thing as much but I can appreciate it for what it is. For those that enjoy this style more, this could be a real banger of an album to your ears.

35. Bone Sickness - Alone in the Grave (EP)
Pretty putrid sounding Swedish styled death metal. Has a bit of a punkish vibe, and the guitars grind away pretty well with some thrashy riffs at times. The song writing is a bit weak and the snare drum certainly doesn't help, but it has some good moments.

36. Morbosidad - Muerte de Cristo en Golgota
If I didn't know I would have expected them to hail from Mexico, or Chile as it sounds like it came right out of their scene of bestial black/death metal. The lyrics are also in Spanish and it sounds like one can easily understand them if they are familiar with Spanish. Unfortunately the riffs fail to really grab my attention and get a bit repetitive. If you understand Spanish then you just may enjoy this a lot more than me.

37. שְׁאוֹל - Sepulchral Ruins Below the Temple (EP)
They are going for the Incantation worship and Finnish worship here like quite a few other bands. While they got a good sound down, their song writing isn't too exciting, and not a whole lot is memorable.

38. Coffins - The Fleshland
Not as good as Buried Dead. An enjoyable release but the song writing gets a bit boring at times. Maintains that crushing doomy groove that this band has come to be known for.

39. Jungle Rot - Terror Regime
Jungle Rot is liked dumbed down death metal without going into slam. While I usually enjoy the groove on their albums, I found this one to be quite boring.

40. Torture Killer - Phobia
Known about them for a long time but never checked them out because of the Six Feet Under connection. Well I decided to give them a listen and found it to be better than expected but that isn't saying a great deal. This is quite dumbed down with the SFU groove and has a few pop sensibilities to it and not a fan of the vocals much which are along the lines of Barnes.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:45 am 

I'll add Slaughterday to the list of newer OSDM revival bands. They're pretty cool. Some catchy hooks and vocals to fit the part. Debut album is up for stream here:
http://slaughterday666.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/slaughterdayofficial
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sla ... 3540359991

Necronipple
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:20 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Necronipple wrote:

Indeed. Here is my top 40. I already realized I missed a few like Mitochondrion and Autopsy I need to check out but oh well.

16. Altars - Paramnesia
This is along the lines of those wave of black/death metal bands like Mitochondrion and Ulcerate, and done very well.

Finally someone else who digs that Altars album. It's on my top 20 for sure.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:51 pm 

Whoah, nice one! I'll have a read of that :nods:
AcidWorm wrote:
Here is my top 40. I already realized I missed a few like Mitochondrion and Autopsy I need to check out but oh well.

1. Bolzer - Aura (EP)
Really impressive occult black/death metal. Can hear a trace of Immolation with some of the harsh and dissonant riffing. The whole EP flows really well with excellent song writing. Really looking forward to a full length.

2. Aevengelist - Omen Ex Simulacra
This is a soundtrack to a horror movie pretty much. Drenched in atmosphere and lots of hellish ambience throughout. This is like some of the more morbid funeral doom projects in terms of atmosphere but more rooted in death metal instead of doom, and they manage to maintain a strong consistency with the song writing.

3. Sacriphyx - The Western Front
Now here is a monster of an album. A concept album that deserves to be listened to in its entirety. Took me a few listens to really begin to appreciate the quality of this and all the little touches they throw throughout. This is very atmospheric, and quite melodic. This feels primarily rooted in traditional metal but more extreme with a lot of black and death metal elements.

4. Obliteration - Black Death Horizon
This album reaks in ominous atmosphere. A lot of Autopsy here with numerous other influences thrown within. A lot of disjointed and meandering riffing, with the songs presenting something different than the last. Certainly an album that deserves to be listened to all the way through.

5. Ulcerate - Vermis
Twisting and churning rhythms that we have come to expect from Ulcerate. This is an album that makes you very uncomfortable when listening to it simply because it is so jarring and dark sounding. The song writing is pretty top notch here, and the production is very good. I found this a step up from The Destroyer of All.

6. Zealotry - The Charnel Expanse
This is something death metal needs more of. Zealotry do not aim to fit in the safe zone that the majority of these old-school revival bands do. They prefer to attempt to forge their own path and separate themselves as something fresh in the scene. This is quite technical and there is a clear Immolation influence with the guitar twanging that helps characterize Immolation but the riffing is a lot more off the wall technical, and there is a lot of tempo changes.

7. Sulphur Aeon - Swallowed by the Ocean's Tide
This is a monster of an album. Quite different than the vast majority of death metal bands that we have come to be familiar with of recent years. This is more upbeat and grandiose in scope than the vast majority of death metal releases that have been popping up, and this doesn't really stray much into melo-death territory which is a good thing while still being fairly melodic. This is lovecraftian concept album that is best listened to all the way through.

8. Decaying - The Last Days of War
They continue the Hail of Bullets worship that they have been doing except they have increased the quality of the song writing. Encirclement was a little long winded and focusing more on atmosphere and less on the pummelling riffs, but they found a better balance here.

9. Tyrant's Blood - Into the Kingdom of Graves
This is very chaotic and like a bestial version of Brain Drill except they don't go overboard with the noodling to the point of losing focus and song writing like the majority of technical brutal death metal. This is more rooted in oldschool death metal as well and not in brutal death metal.

10. Necrowretch - Putrid Death Sorcery
Necrowretch go back to a time when thrash metal was transitioning into death metal. This sounds like it came out around 1989 style wise but with a more modern production, and by modern I don't mean in a negative sense as it is not plastic by any means. Lots of interesting riffs and shouted vocals. They don't aim for the all out aggression like Repugnant or Excorciate but are more along the lines of Carnage.

11. Death Karma - A Life Not Worth Living (EP)
This is some thrashy and murky black/death metal with a thick production. The drummer comes from Lykathea Aflame as well. This is a very nice EP and hopefully more to be heard from these guys in the future.

12. Verminous - The Unholy Communion
Swedish death metal with solos! Has a lot of jumpy riffs and jumpy bass work that is a little uncommon for this style but they don't go into melodic death metal which is nice, and contain the Swedish trademark buzz saw guitar tone. The leads are also good. Imagine a spazzed out Grave.

13. Necroblood - Second Blood (EP)
Bestial black/death metal with a monstrous sound. This one really came out of nowhere and caught be my surprise. Only 2 songs, so I hope they get a full length out soon, but this really wets my appetite for one. If you really like the crudeness of bands like Blasphemy, Beherit, Archgoat, and Profanatica then I strongly urge you to check this out.

14. Beyond - Fatal Power of Death
Fast and relentless thrashy death metal with an oldschool production job. Big influence from Possessed, and maybe Dark Angel as well. The production is a bit thin as they are going for that 80s sound and so the bass is low in the mix. Looking forward to hearing more from these guys.

15. Crypticus - The Barrens
Not heard much discussion about this band for some reason. I haven't had the pleasure of listening to their other material but this is a very solid album. Quite a range of influences here. There is a fun and campy vibe to this with the upbeat catchy riffing and an Impetigo influence that is very typical of Razorback recordings, except this feels a lot more serious and mature. Big Swedish influence as well with the buzzsaw guitar tone and one reviewer compared to Cemetery which I agree with for the atmosphere and use of guitar leads.

16. Altars - Paramnesia

17. Grave Miasma - Odori Sepulcrorum
Another band taking the hellish, cavernous approach to death metal. They explored a few styles of the darker death and bestial black metal bands to form their own sound. This is fairly ritualistic and haunting blackened death metal with a very hellish atmosphere, and the song writing is very strong, and much better than a lot of the similar bands.

18. Cerekloth - In the Midst of Life we are in Death
I guess this is a little warmer for the most part than typical other old-school death metal takes. The music is black/death metal that is often fairly doomy. The vocals are very good growls that are slightly choking in style and they include screeches. Halo of Syringes is the best song here and feels a little out of the place in that it is so different with the demented reptilian vocals and doomier riffing. The song structures feel a little progressive and this album was a real grower on me.

19. Lantern - Below
Bit punkish with some death n' roll sensibilities. Nice use of guitar solos, and sounds like a mishmash of Swedish and Finnish death metal.

20. Demonical - Darkness Unbound
Been a very consistent band with the typical Entombed, Dismember, and Grave worship with that buzz saw tone and d-beat catchy riffing. This album is another solid entry into their catalogue.

21. Irkallian Oracle - Grave Ekstasis
Very cavernous and hellish black/death metal along the lines of Antideluvian. The riffs are very repetitive and trance inducing. This release seems to have stayed under the radar this year and I hope it can get a little more exposure as it is well worth listening to.

22. Grave Upheaval - Untitled
Well now. We have a band trying really hard to be as extreme as possible with the cavernous death metal style. There is a complete wall of sound here full of fuzz. The drums are very slow and ritualistic. The vocals are just incomprehensible cavernous growls. The whole setting is fairly trance inducing so if you are drugged up and looking for a dense atmosphere this album would be a excellent choice to listen to.

23. Tribulation - The Formulas of Death
Their debut was an absolute killer and Tribulation has opted for a different approach which was a smart move as the last album was very close to perfection. This is a more mature death metal release which is quite technical, and progressive with influences thrown in from black metal to jazz. It took a few listens to grow on me and is certainly worth it, although I still prefer their debut album.

24. Sorcery - Arrival at Six
Very punkish death metal in the vein of Dismember. Just a solid album.

25. Bodyfarm - The Coming Scourge
Mostly grinding punkish Swedish death metal in the d-beat style even if they are from the Netherlands. Their riffs are very memorable and the vocals are raspy shouts rather than gutturals. Just a solid album.

26. Krypts - Unending Degradation
Doomy death metal in the classic Finnish style. Unfortunately they feel a bit on the long winded style compared to their influences but nevertheless a good release.

27. Imprecation - Satanae Tenebris Infinita
Also heard their compilation of their 90s material and enjoyed a lot so was looking forward to this when I discovered it had been released. While this is some enjoyable bestial black/death metal it isn't as good as their earlier material. The riffs just don't grab me as much and I feel they sound better when they keep things at a face pace instead of when they slow it down into doom territory.

28. Vorum - Poisoned Void
I enjoyed their EP a few years ago (you can read my review under my old moniker) so was looking forward to this one. The music is quite Incantation inspired as well as the Finnish scene through the eerie leads. A lot of reverb is used here to give a cavernous vibe and the vocals have some echo to them. The atmosphere they are going for is a very ominous and hypnotic one, which is pretty standard of the Finnish scene of the early 90s and quite a few of the recent bands. A chunk of the songs work really well such as Thriving Darkness (A monster of a song), but others just fall flat for me. Overall, a bit inconsistent but certainly some good material here that makes it all worth it.

29. Kingdom - Morbid Priest of Supreme Blasphemy
Mix of the Swedish and Finnish scenes for the most part. Slightly ominous riffing, at a midpaced with a bit of the catchy swedish riffing. The vocals are fairly varied including some whispers, croaking, and growls. Pretty decent songwriting.

30. Hail of Bullets - III: The Rommel Chronicles
If you are familiar with other Hail of Bullets albums or even modern Asphyx you should know what to expect here as this is pretty much the same as before. Another nice addition to the catalogue but not quite up to the standard of their other two albums.

31. Oniricous - Ritos Diabolicos
Lovecraftian death metal in Spanish, with lyrics that are easy to understand. Their formula of death metal is quite chugging and catchy, with a thick sound to it, and not too morbid.

32. Revel in Flesh - Manifested Darkness
Their debut was pretty much Grave, Entombed and Dismember worship. While I really enjoy that style they failed to really grab me. The songs are certainly an improvement here, and the production job is really excellent, although I think they can still do better f they make the songwriting more interesting as the songs do feel like they drag a bit.

33. Immolation - Kingdom of Conspiracy
Pretty typical Immolation sounding album. Unfortunately the song writing isn't quite up to their usual standard and so it is a bit boring. They got a pretty strong catalogue so when I am in the mood for Immolation I most likely will just stick with one of their other albums.

34. Gorguts - Colored Sands
They really went for the dissonant, off the wall twanging with discordant chords that bands like Deathspell Omega and Blut Aus Nord helped popularize with their 2003 or 2004 releases. They also added in a lot of atmospheric touches to give the album some much needed flow and focus. Not my thing as much but I can appreciate it for what it is. For those that enjoy this style more, this could be a real banger of an album to your ears.

35. Bone Sickness - Alone in the Grave (EP)
Pretty putrid sounding Swedish styled death metal. Has a bit of a punkish vibe, and the guitars grind away pretty well with some thrashy riffs at times. The song writing is a bit weak and the snare drum certainly doesn't help, but it has some good moments.

36. Morbosidad - Muerte de Cristo en Golgota
If I didn't know I would have expected them to hail from Mexico, or Chile as it sounds like it came right out of their scene of bestial black/death metal. The lyrics are also in Spanish and it sounds like one can easily understand them if they are familiar with Spanish. Unfortunately the riffs fail to really grab my attention and get a bit repetitive. If you understand Spanish then you just may enjoy this a lot more than me.

37. שְׁאוֹל - Sepulchral Ruins Below the Temple (EP)
They are going for the Incantation worship and Finnish worship here like quite a few other bands. While they got a good sound down, their song writing isn't too exciting, and not a whole lot is memorable.

38. Coffins - The Fleshland
Not as good as Buried Dead. An enjoyable release but the song writing gets a bit boring at times. Maintains that crushing doomy groove that this band has come to be known for.

39. Jungle Rot - Terror Regime
Jungle Rot is liked dumbed down death metal without going into slam. While I usually enjoy the groove on their albums, I found this one to be quite boring.

40. Torture Killer - Phobia
Known about them for a long time but never checked them out because of the Six Feet Under connection. Well I decided to give them a listen and found it to be better than expected but that isn't saying a great deal. This is quite dumbed down with the SFU groove and has a few pop sensibilities to it and not a fan of the vocals much which are along the lines of Barnes.

Necronipple wrote:
Necronipple your username made me laugh so I had to comment, classic :lol:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next