Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:29 am 

Veracs wrote:
(...) very heavy and very crushing but boring(...)

It happens a lot with some of these new bands trying to capture the OSDM feeling. Some of them are way to simplistic to have any replay value. They are heavy, sure, but bring nothing else to the table. That's why I think bands like Undergang are really amazing, they crush you with heaviness, they also create the proper atmosphere and they know how to use dynamics, they always manage to keep the songs interesting. I guess like in every other movement/trend/whatever, there are the leaders, the good ones and the mediocre. I still remember the BM boom in the 90's and the quantity of copy-cats it created ahah!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:42 am 

Anyone into Angelcorpse, particularly their album Exterminate, should do himself a favour and check out Spearhead's Decrowning The Irenarch. What a beast of an album!

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:27 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I found the total Abhorrence worship to be way more fun, but obviously fun isn't the goal of Beneath...

Well, yeah, agreed on the fact that Sleep is a more fun album than the much more apocalyptic and even Lovecraftian Beneath the Columns, but I guess latter is more what I usually look for in death metal. And I'm not saying Sleep is a bad album, I do enjoy it a whole lot and gave it a very good score, I'm just much much more partial to the debut.

DisruptioN
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:50 am 

Cyclopean Eye Productions wrote:
Genocide Shrines from Srilanka
Full length Song from the upcoming ep - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejSAnjs3KNo

Awesome!

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:53 am 

therealvivs wrote:
Veracs wrote:
(...) very heavy and very crushing but boring(...)

It happens a lot with some of these new bands trying to capture the OSDM feeling. Some of them are way to simplistic to have any replay value. They are heavy, sure, but bring nothing else to the table. That's why I think bands like Undergang are really amazing, they crush you with heaviness, they also create the proper atmosphere and they know how to use dynamics, they always manage to keep the songs interesting. I guess like in every other movement/trend/whatever, there are the leaders, the good ones and the mediocre. I still remember the BM boom in the 90's and the quantity of copy-cats it created ahah!

Thats kind of why I liked Undergang and Slugathor when I first heard them, they also don't mind getting goofy and including a few grooves in their songs as well.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:20 am 

Veracs wrote:
Thats kind of why I liked Undergang and Slugathor when I first heard them, they also don't mind getting goofy and including a few grooves in their songs as well.

While I would agree that Slugathor are very groovy all around, especially on the two later albums (though it is rather understated on Echoes from Beneath), I don't really hear much goofiness in anything that they've done. There's mayhaps that one one-two beat on the verse of Abomination (very out of place, don't like it at all) and the Nunslaughter cover, Power of Darkness.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:44 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:
I found the total Abhorrence worship to be way more fun, but obviously fun isn't the goal of Beneath...

Well, yeah, agreed on the fact that Sleep is a more fun album than the much more apocalyptic and even Lovecraftian Beneath the Columns, but I guess latter is more what I usually look for in death metal. And I'm not saying Sleep is a bad album, I do enjoy it a whole lot and gave it a very good score, I'm just much much more partial to the debut.

I do really like Beneath the Columns too, full of low end murkiness, and really, it's not as stupidly simplified and slow as other bands who get the same sort of atmosphere, I guess Sleep of Morbid Dreams gets me more because I can't think of too many bands who manage to successfully be catchy, heavy, morbid, doomy and fun as shit all at the same time.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:17 am 

Veracs wrote:
^That Sanguis Imperem was decent but lost its edge fast, very heavy and very crushing but boring much like Angelcorpse, Bolt thrower, and the other bands that influenced them.

Did you just call Bolt Thrower boring?

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:28 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Veracs wrote:
^That Sanguis Imperem was decent but lost its edge fast, very heavy and very crushing but boring much like Angelcorpse, Bolt thrower, and the other bands that influenced them.

Did you just call Bolt Thrower boring?

First two Angelcorpse and Bolt Thrower are classic releases.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:00 pm 

It has previously been confirmed that Veracs' taste in death metal is very suspect.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:14 pm 

ogmetal wrote:
It has previously been confirmed that Veracs' taste in death metal is very suspect.

I actually should've left Angelcorpse out of the equation, godforbid I don't worship at the altar of some of the most recently emulated bands such as Bolt thrower and the Swedish/Finnish Scenes. I actually just despise those two types of dm solely, mainly because they lagged behind creatively and musically compared to their American counterparts. I love death metal but I can live without the clones.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:36 pm 

I'll agree that Swedeath was lacking in creativity for the most part, but the Finnish scene was versitile as anywhere.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:44 pm 

Veracs is also the only person I've ever seen hate on Hacksaw To The Throat on these boards. A strange man.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:50 pm 

Never heard that one, what am I missing out on?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:05 pm 

Some quality progressive death metal. They have pretty long songs though, so you have to be into that kind of stuff.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:35 pm 

NecroCURSE is doing the OSSDM to the tee. Hellbutcher from Nifelheim on vocals sets them apart from the rest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FidKOaeAh_8he

Why isn't Ataraxy mentioned. I thought they were known around these parts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkF6h_a_Lmc

Last edited by Opus on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:49 pm 

Because the thread died before they came along and blew everyone away.

Since the thread's been dead for a year, Undergang, Psuedogod (kinda), Backyard Mortuary, Embrional, and Puteraeon all put out ripping albums and haven't been mentioned yet. Undergang and Psuedogod are both pretty big names now, but I'll show some extra love for BM and Embrional.

Backyard Mortuary are pretty by the books, they're kinda hit and miss due to them falling back on slower, dirtier, boring songs far too often, and they don't do them well, but when they pick up the speed they're fun as all hell. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgMKmWxybNM

Embrional are like a smoothed out, easier to follow Immolation, with a few other influences popping up now and then. Great band. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX80lmxU1yM

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:01 pm 

I was really into that last Pseudogod album, though it was one of those albums that I didn't really start to like until I spun it a few times. Hope any new stuff from these Russians is of equal or greater quality! Also, judging from the pictures/vids of their set at the last NWN Fest, they seem to put on quite a good live show too.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:51 am 

Spoiler: show
Finland:
Krypts
Claws
Stench Of Decay
Desecresy
Corpsessed
Lie In Ruins

Sweden:
Facebreaker
Torture Division
Corrosive Carcass

USA:
Disma
Funebrarum
Vasaeleth
Bone Gnawer
Disciples Of Mockery
Nocturnal Blood
Decrepitaph

Mex:
Denial

Greece:
Dead Congregation

Australia:
Cemetery Urn

UK (Scots):
Bonesaw

"You make it easy."

Last edited by Metantoine on Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huge useless list post.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:51 am 

Opus wrote:
Necrolust is doing the OSSDM to the tee. Hellbutcher from Nifelheim on vocals sets them apart from the rest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FidKOaeAh_8he rest.

you say necrolust, but link to necrocurse - which one did you actually mean? (there also seems to be some typoing going on at the end of that url)

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:11 am 

joppek wrote:
Opus wrote:
Necrolust is doing the OSSDM to the tee. Hellbutcher from Nifelheim on vocals sets them apart from the rest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FidKOaeAh_8he

you say necrolust, but link to necrocurse - which one did you actually mean? (there also seems to be some typoing going on at the end of that url)

Haha, NecroCURSE, doh. You'd think that people that are obviously creative would be able to come up with a name not used by thousands. Necro this and necro that.

TheOldSkull
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:54 pm 

Quote:
Haha, NecroCURSE, doh. You'd think that people that are obviously creative would be able to come up with a name not used by thousands. Necro this and necro that.

Necrowretch!!!

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Nec ... 3540276192

Old school done well, with stunning artwork.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:09 pm 

The Lions Den wrote:
Huge list of extremely well known bands

at least provide some links or why you like them

Katalysator: Mass Genocide Ritual

came across this band when I was looking up Invidious on youtube, this was their earlier band. and right now I'm not sure how many songs carried over to Invidious's release In Death... but it's quite excellent.

Vamos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:28 pm 

Listened to Undergang's Til Døden os Skiller given how many times I saw them mentioned on the thread and I think it is good overall but the growls seem to be buried really deep in the mix and you can barely hear them. I don't know if it is my speaker setup or what but most of the time I felt I was listening to instrumental songs.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:41 pm 

No he is just that low both in tone and volume of mixing. But possibly you might have too much bass in your stereo setup cause while it is low I can still hear him quite fine.

Vamos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:58 pm 

I see, I'll tweak things a little bit to try and improve the sound. Thanks.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:00 am 

Cool thread. I guess I wasn't very active on the forums when this came around the first time, so here's some demo contributions:

The Swiss Deathcult only have a demo out so far but it's pretty fucking cool:

Australia's Monomakh are really cool occult-sounding death metal. The demo was really cool but I didn't think their EP was quite as good. Song from the demo:

And of course I can't let a thread like this go by without repping one of my favorite bands, Innsmouth. Maybe some day they'll actually put out an album!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Vamos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:14 am 

The debut of German act Abyssous is worth a look. It was released this year, I think it is solid:

Another solid debut released this year is by Smothered from Sweden:

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:37 am 

iamntbatman wrote:

And of course I can't let a thread like this go by without repping one of my favorite bands, Innsmouth. Maybe some day they'll actually put out an album!

Wow really great stuff, seems very familiar to me either the riffs or production or something... damn this bad memory of mine, I want to say Swedish but I cant put a band behind that statement, but ill give it another listen later and try to narrow it down.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:08 am 

Wow, that serves me right for not listening to that earlier when I actually posted it. The audio in that video sounds like total ass. This one sounds much closer to the actual production (different song, though):

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:38 am 

Yes, that absolutely has a different sound, what a great song though... I've gotta get that demo (Available anywhere by chance?) Love the slow passage around 3 minutes, and the vocal style is right up my alley. The variety of riffs keeps those songs pretty interesting.

Vamos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:00 am 

I know they have been mentioned but I want to give props to Slugathor again. Killer band, such a shame they broke up (anyone knows why?) as by this time we would have been likely expecting a new album from them:

Love those growls and that filthy OSDM sound (as DM should be).

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:21 pm 

You'll be happy to know that they've (more or less) continued under a new name, Desecresy. And they're about to release their third album in 2014 according to some of the news I've read. The sophomore is very good, although I also find much enjoyment in the debut. It's more Finnish and less Boltthrowerish (R) than Slugathor though. Still, The Doom Skeptron ranks as one of the top DM albums from last year.

That Undergang debut has a really bassy production, so if your speakers are pumping out too much bass the vocals may be lost in translation. Try equalizing it a bit, cut a couple of dBs at 50 and 250Hz for instance. ;)

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:57 pm 

Huldrelok wrote:
Yes, that absolutely has a different sound, what a great song though... I've gotta get that demo (Available anywhere by chance?) Love the slow passage around 3 minutes, and the vocal style is right up my alley. The variety of riffs keeps those songs pretty interesting.

The tape is unfortunately sold out but it was a fairly large run (800 copies or something like that?) so it should be floating around somewhere or other. They also have a 7" with two songs that's pretty cool, and a split single with Mongrel's Cross that has a really fucking cool song. If you think of whatever band they reminded you of be sure to name-drop 'em as I've yet to find anything that really sounds all that close to Innsmouth despite their unabashedly old-school worshiping sound.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:13 pm 

Going to recommend the debut album, Zealotry - The Charnel Expanse (2013)

One of the best death metal albums of the year. Reminds me of Immolation with the eerie, meandering riffs and the production is a bit cavernous. The creepy abstract cover art is quite fitting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mrTBX0gOFI

Vamos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:31 pm 

androdion wrote:
You'll be happy to know that they've (more or less) continued under a new name, Desecresy. And they're about to release their third album in 2014 according to some of the news I've read. The sophomore is very good, although I also find much enjoyment in the debut. It's more Finnish and less Boltthrowerish (R) than Slugathor though. Still, The Doom Skeptron ranks as one of the top DM albums from last year.

Yeah I enjoy Desecresy, have heard both of their albums and they are great! Didn't know until recently that it shared members with Slugathor. Nice to know they have a new album coming up in 2014! Damn, next year is shaping up to be quite good.

Quote:
That Undergang debut has a really bassy production, so if your speakers are pumping out too much bass the vocals may be lost in translation. Try equalizing it a bit, cut a couple of dBs at 50 and 250Hz for instance. ;)

I listened to a couple of songs with headphones today and while you can indeed hear the growls they are indeed to low in the mix. A shame because everything else sounds great. I'll have to try and tweak the equalizer here to see if it makes things better. Thanks! :)

AcidWorm wrote:
Going to recommend the debut album, Zealotry - The Charnel Expanse (2013)

Yeah someone recommended me this one in the Technical DM thread I started and it is indeed really nice.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:36 pm 

It's cool to finally hear a Zealotry full-length with the band getting some recognition. The main dude behind the project used to be quite active here on the forum and probably did much more than his fair share of acting as a death metal sage to legions of forumgoers (myself included).

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:25 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Huldrelok wrote:

The tape is unfortunately sold out but it was a fairly large run (800 copies or something like that?) so it should be floating around somewhere or other. They also have a 7" with two songs that's pretty cool, and a split single with Mongrel's Cross that has a really fucking cool song. If you think of whatever band they reminded you of be sure to name-drop 'em as I've yet to find anything that really sounds all that close to Innsmouth despite their unabashedly old-school worshiping sound.

I'm awful at comparing bands (and describing music in general), especially ones like Innsmouth a lot of the songs sound like close to production of old school Swedish DM, but in all their songs there is a seriously strong black influence, certainly in the vocals and many of the riffs. For example on "Aloof..." (probably the best song of their I've heard, it all feels very OSDM and I feel like some of the mid paced riffs could be Carnage, yet the slow passage around 3 minutes completely transforms the song. Also reminiscent of OSDM, but then goes into that ghoulish lead, with the offbeat drums constantly pushing the song.

All of the instruments are very active which is really enjoyable, and the drumming is excellent... Absolutely favorite style of DM drumming, so much more exciting and interesting than relying on blast beats or too much classic DM fills.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:55 am 

Haha yeah, I think some PR copy of theirs on the Abysmal Sounds site actually pointed out that they purposefully avoid pointless blasting. Neil's drumming is really fun to listen to on all their material for the reasons you just mentioned. He's also really good at careful use of double bass to accent riffs, rather than just riding out double bass all the time as a default drumming mode. Glad you're enjoying it, as I have endless good things to say about that band (as my review of the demo makes clear, heh) and am glad someone else seems to appreciate them as much as I do.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:48 am 

androdion wrote:

While Tommi is the major (only one in Desecresy since it's pretty much his solo project) songwriter in both bands, they're rather obviously different entities, Slugathor and Desecresy. Immu was always a big influence on Slugathor, his drumming being a big part of the band and I think Antti did have a bit of an influence on the songwriting later on. So like I said, while Tommi was a major songwriter in Slugathor as well, it was obviously not his band alone. The first Desecresy is obviously different from anything Slugathor did, though the second one does approach a bit more the Slugathor sound, being more traditional in its stylings. The drumming is a huge difference between the bands as well.

As for the reason for Slugathor's disbandment, it was mostly Tommi wanting to move in a different direction than the rest of the band. The way I understand it, Immu and Antti wanted the band to become more active with touring and playing live while Tommi didn't care much at all for that. Though I might be completely mistaken. It's been a few years since I heard the stuff so...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next