Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheDragonaut
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:16 pm 

I've been enjoying new releases by Horrendous, Dodecahedron, Asphyx, Cannibal Corpse, Spawn of Possession, and Sigh quite a bit.

JT Rager
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:00 pm 

In Somniphobia is probably the best thing I've heard this year. The new Meshuggah's going to kick ass, both of the samples that have been out are awesome, and unique for their style.

-Tracie Harris

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:45 pm 

So far my favorite albums are Horrendous - The Chills and Napalm death's Utilitarian. I've also enjoyed Plague Widow's ep. Drudkh was okay. Cant quite get into Dodecahedron

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:49 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Mimogrede wrote:
I kind of really liked the new Alcest album... it really grows on you...
Also the new Woods Of Ypress is really amazing :(
New Swallow The Sun and Lamb Of God are not bad ether :D

Yeah, just wait till you learn about good metal! You'll love that stuff.

Come on man, people like what they like. Not everybody's taste is gonna conform to your lofty standards.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:39 pm 

I agree with you...
But in this case, Ilwhyan's right.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:47 am 

Beer Baron wrote:
Come on man, people like what they like. Not everybody's taste is gonna conform to your lofty standards.

That's true, but it's also true to some extent that people go through phases, and I personally can't imagine "stopping" at Alcest and StS and LoG.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Ulflesh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:58 am 

horrendous - one of the best death metal records from the last years (ya it's that good)
asphyx - another solid release from the dutch masters, as good as it's predecesor.
cannibal corpse - they done it again, maybe the best record since 'Bloodthirst'
nekromantheon - some of the best 80's style aggressive thrash metal that hasn't been released in the 80's...mandatory!!!
also the new Headhunter DC should be very strong.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:50 am 

@ Metal Detector - I see what you did there. Nice.

ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:16 am 

Mgla - With Hearts Toward None
Drudkh - Eternal Turn of the Wheel

Last edited by ancientorder on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mimogrede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:28 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Beer Baron wrote:

That's true, but it's also true to some extent that people go through phases, and I personally can't imagine "stopping" at Alcest and StS and LoG.

Well, the talk was about which albums I liked this year, and I liked those... I listen to quite a big variety of metal, but those albums were the ones, that first popped into my mind :D

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:51 pm 

Definitely agree on MGLA - With Hearts Towards None, incredible album.

Also loving Horrendous, Asphyx, Lunar Aurora, Undergang, Les Discrets, Drudkh, Alcest, Napalm Death, Ignivomous, Enthroned, Cadaveria, and Borknagar.

Can't wait for Umskiptar.. unashamed Burzum fanboy that I am.

Wheeler
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:58 pm 

Quote:

best album of the year so far, my opinion

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:22 pm 

I' definitely not as impressed with Ignivomous as some of you are.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:26 pm 

The last four tracks on Dodeahedron are amazing, pity about the first three being so derivative of DsO

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:18 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
The last four tracks on Dodeahedron are amazing, pity about the first three being so derivative of DsO

And the rest aren't?! :lol:

Funny thing is this, I don't even like DSO but I do enjoy Dodecahedron a lot. Now that should be a case study! I'm also noticing a lack of love for Anguish's debut album in this thread, seems like few here are into traditional doom?!

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:28 pm 

Not anywhere near as much, Descending Jacob's Ladder is pretty much a flat out horrific interlude thing, which is unlike anything I've heard dsO do, and the three part song has much more pronounced sense of melody, not to mention the whole thing is much more focussed with less forays into random other styles. Yes, the second half is still very DsO influenced, but it has it's own spin on the sound, the first three are just worship.

XSpidercideX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:37 am 

So far the only release that has made me post on here is the new Spawn of Possession. Its insane. They are crazier than ever.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:30 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Not anywhere near as much, Descending Jacob's Ladder is pretty much a flat out horrific interlude thing, which is unlike anything I've heard dsO do, and the three part song has much more pronounced sense of melody, not to mention the whole thing is much more focussed with less forays into random other styles. Yes, the second half is still very DsO influenced, but it has it's own spin on the sound, the first three are just worship.

Ah, I get where you're going, and I actually agree. As I said above I don't even like DSO, although I've given them enough chances but that's a different and unrelated discussion, but I do enjoy Dodecahedron exactly because of what you say. It's more focused, dare I say more riff-oriented than dissonance/atmosphere-oriented like DSO actually is. I believe that's the reason why I can enjoy Dodecahedron and I can't stand DSO, this despite the similarities in style. The approach is clearly different, and if I may draw a comparison here, it's like the difference between Ulcerate's second and third albums. Both are similar in style but the first has focused songs that go somewhere whereas the second goes more into pure dissonant/atmospheric state.

I hope this makes some sense. ;)

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:15 pm 

Yeah I agree with that one both counts, that's exactly my thoughts on why the last Ulcerate was dull to me, while Everything is Fire was excellent. I like DsO, but usually in smallish doses, I'm probably more attracted to their EP's like Kenose and Mass Grave Aesthetics than the full lengths, if only because they're shorter and don't spend as much time wandering about being atmospheric. The full length trilogy is always a bit overlong with each album.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:36 pm 

so far i have liked beyond terror beyond grace's new album nadir and germs album wish both quality releases imo

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:05 pm 

Another good piece of DM I've just had a listen to is Embrional's Absolutely Anti-human Behaviors, quite brutal stuff with a production that straddles old school with good clarity well.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:25 am 

Lord Mantis' Pervertor is going to be a favourite of mine. Unrelentingly filthy black/sludge, though there are a few weak tracks on it.

Black Breath's Sentenced to Life sounds promising too. Basically kinda like the new Horrendous with a more punky sound. Probably not as good as Horrendous, but it's enjoyable as hell.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

bassdmon24
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:19 am 

So far I've been impressed by "The Doomsayer's Call" from Coldworker and "And So It Came to Pass" by Dyscarnate. Two really brutal albums to say the least. Then you have the latest from Swallow the Sun which I appreciate. Nothing extraordinary, but it gets the job done.

The last Lamb of God isn't bad either. Same ol' sound, so you can't really be disappointed if you like their last few releases.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:18 am 

The things that I've enjoyed most this year are Barren Earth's The Devil's Resolve and the A.R.G. full-length re-releases. Yeah, the latter do not really count as 2012 albums, but hell, I've been waiting 16 years for them.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:15 pm 

The new Barren Earth was horrible. New Spawn of Possession was merely okay, but I haven't given it that many listens yet. New Gorod was awesome. There's some crazy soloing on that one.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:29 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
The new Barren Earth was horrible.

Care to explain why?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:33 pm 

It contains a bunch of elements that I generally do not like. The 70's prog moments were poorly executed, and those random pirate melodies were annoying. Then again, I never liked Amorphis and the two get compared a lot.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:38 pm 

I liked it myself, but I wouldn't consider it superb or anything.

ViolentHumour
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:51 pm 

Hello. Sigh - In Somniphobia. Goodbye.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:57 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
It contains a bunch of elements that I generally do not like. The 70's prog moments were poorly executed, and those random pirate melodies were annoying. Then again, I never liked Amorphis and the two get compared a lot.

I don't mean to get under your skin but you do know that what you don't like and being without musical value (horrible as you put it) are two separate things don't you? ;) My opinion on it is public since I have my review of it online.

Anyway, what's with people referring to them with the term "pirate melodies"? Where does that come from?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:05 pm 

I don't think I adopted a "my opinion is fact" tone. If I did, it was unintended. It's horrible, yes, but horrible to me. I'm not saying it's without inherent merit for others. And it's in reference to the melodies like the ones in the track they have a video for. Stuff that wouldn't sound out of place on an Alestorm record.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:12 pm 

Ah mate, no worries there. I was just being overprotective of an album I really really enjoy. ;) It's funny that you relate those melodies on The Rains Begin with "pirate metal", or Alestorm for that matter. They transpire a very Celtic vibe to me, never thought of them like that. But then again my familiarity with Alestorm is virtually null.

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:26 pm 

As far as this year goes, there have been some pretty good ones, but I think the best is still yet to come.

New Aborted, while being the first thing I've heard from them, is a pretty sweet slab of death/grind. Nothing revolutionary, just fast, unrelenting, and slightly melodic. Makes me wanna check out more from these guys.

The new Ketzer album, in my eyes, was a little underwhelming. Where Satan's Boundaries Unchained definitely had an "evil" feel to it, Endzeit Metropolis wasn't so evil, but seemed to be a bit more technical. That doesn't quite hit as hard as the album before it, but it's still a good one. Another full-length with the "evil" of Boundaries with the musicianship of Endzeit would be an instant classic for me.

New Cannibal Corpse, Horrendous, and Napalm Death are all pretty impressive, and Soulfly's Enslaved was just as I expected- nothing to write home about.

I still have to listen to Spawn of Possession's latest one end to end, But the closing track, Apparition, has been blowing my mind.

And I'm also excited for albums from Hour of Penance, JFAC, Burzum, Allegaeon, and Enfold Darkness as well.

Ogerz001
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:19 pm 

So far the best I bought are

Anguish - Through the Archdemon's Head
Great Doom metal. The only thing it needs is some tempo changes.

Trial - The Primordial Temple YT
A great debut album from this Swedish band. I was just blown away by how good all the elements of this band sound.

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:24 am 

Eternum - Veil Of Ancient Darkness is the best 2012 release I've heard so far... really fuckin' cool album! Alcest - Voyages is pretty good too... early days tho, I'm still catching up on 2011:)

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:32 pm 

The new Black Breath kills.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:41 pm 

Decaying - Encirclement
Similar to Bolt Thrower and Hail of Bullets but without cloning them. Has that heavy chugging groove riffs of Bolt Thrower but while giving it a bit more variation so isn't as suffocating and hypnotic as Bolt Thrower. Really good album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XAK1nAP ... re=related

Taranis - Kingdom
Beautiful epic symphonic metal with a folkish pagan approach and some melodic black metal vocals thrown in. This is really growing on me with every listen. I usually don't like this kind of metal much anymore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7LmRcqL ... re=related

SingLoco
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:33 pm 

There have been many great albums this year, but recently I checked out Death Vivus! and it was pretty cool, surprisingly.
It might just be a cash grab, I can say I quite enjoy all the reissues that they've put out as well.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:05 am 

my copy of infinitums new album came in the mail today, and its pretty darn good from first listen. will need to listen a few more times to see how it really compares with behold eradication

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:27 am 

Gore__Grinder wrote:
my copy of infinitums new album came in the mail today, and its pretty darn good from first listen. will need to listen a few more times to see how it really compares with behold eradication

Cool. I'll have to get this soon, too.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 36  Next