* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:48 pm 

Quote:
http://bloodshotdawn.bandcamp.com/
Bloodshot Dawn, a melodeath/thrash band with some pretty technical guitar work and really good leads.

I don't tend to listen to much melodeath, but I'll agree - It's a great album, and they kick a lot of ass live, too!

Also going to add Natur's debut, "Head of Death". Really organic, ballsy speed-metal, with a drop of darkness added to the mix.

nosferatu1234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:00 am 

Sokaris wrote:
I think that Puteraeon album undoubtedly crushes Horrendous, Ignivimous, Revel in Flesh and any other oldschool worship album I've heard this year. Just... damn.

Misfit74 wrote:
I tend to agree with this, though Desecrecy and Binah are definitely considerations in the '2012 OSDM best of' mix for me, as well. That said, the Puteraeon album is really, really fantastic.

henkkjelle wrote:
Haven't listented to Binah yet, thanks for reminding me. And yes, the new Desecrecy is amazing, definitely in my death metal top 5 this year. The new Puteraeon was cool to listen to the first couple of times, but after that it became a little boring to sit through.... though I still listen to a couple of songs from time to time.

I personally prefer Charon - Sulphur Seraph to any of these albums you guys are talking about. Charon's album is horribly underrated. I've hardly seen anyone talk about it at all on these forums and it's been out since the very beginning of the year. Best death metal album of the year so far for me. (well, outside of Anhedonist, but they're more doom). Like it better than Ignivomous, Undergang, Desecresy, Horrendous, Revel In Flesh, Puteraeon, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9MUCXsPlpA Check em out

Last edited by nosferatu1234 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:06 am 

I've been listening to Katatonia's 'Dead End Kings' nonstop since it came out. I love it. I'm not sure if it's better than 'Night Is the new Day', but it's at least as good. I'm giving it a 9/10 right now. Probably my album of the year so far.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:17 am 

Thiestru wrote:
I've been listening to Katatonia's 'Dead End Kings' nonstop since it came out. I love it. I'm not sure if it's better than 'Night Is the new Day', but it's at least as good. I'm giving it a 9/10 right now. Probably my album of the year so far.

I've been hearing it every day as well. Hearing it one song at a time, in pairs, in fours, half of the album at a time, and so forth. There's ways to hear this that I never tried to do with TGCD or NitND. Not a 9/10 but most likely between 8.5 and 9 for me.

Once I see these guys live on Sep. 4th and go through the rounds with this again, I'll maybe even get a review out.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:22 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
Thiestru wrote:

I've been hearing it every day as well. Hearing it one song at a time, in pairs, in fours, half of the album at a time, and so forth. There's ways to hear this that I never tried to do with TGCD or NitND. Not a 9/10 but most likely between 8.5 and 9 for me.

Once I see these guys live on Sep. 4th and go through the rounds with this again, I'll maybe even get a review out.

I'm jealous. I really want to see them again, but they aren't coming to Atlanta or Charlotte. I should have seen them last year with Opeth, but Atlanta traffic ensured that I missed their entire set. =[ Look forward to your review; you're one of the reviewers I tend to pay attention to. =]

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:35 am 

Thanks. There's so many others that I like this year but this is the one requiring more to get into.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:09 am 

nosferatu1234 wrote:
I personally prefer Charon - Sulphur Seraph to any of these albums you guys are talking about. Charon's album is horribly underrated. I've hardly seen anyone talk about it at all on these forums and it's been out since the very beginning of the year. Best death metal album of the year so far for me. (well, outside of Anhedonist, but they're more doom). Like it better than Ignivomous, Undergang, Desecresy, Horrendous, Revel In Flesh, Puteraeon, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9MUCXsPlpA Check em out

Sounds pretty good, though I have to point out that this band/album is black/death, whereas the others are all straight death metal (OSDM). I listen to very little black metal, so it's easy to understand why that album isn't one I've mentioned. Listening now, though, and enjoying it so thanks for the head's up. Hard to compare it to the other group of albums because it's not in the same style.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:07 am 

^ Not bad definitely a little more varied compared to horseshit like Ignivomous and Father Befailed, those vocals are great and combine that with that riffing I'd say its definitely in the top of that OSDM revivalist nonsense. Did I mention those vocals are great?

EDIT: I have to buy this now.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:41 am 

I remember checking out Charon a long time ago but not being very impressed. Strangely enough, I now think the song nosferatu posted is amazing. Sounds a lot like Incantation, without being too bestial like Pseudogod (which I don't really like due to lack of variation). It's also got a few thrashy bits, which I love. I must get this right away.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:17 am 

I'm not too crazy about the drum sound on that Binah album, it's still pretty awesome.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:13 pm 

I may need to try out Charon again with all this new found love, I thought it was rather tedious when I first tried it.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:14 pm 

that album from Binah was pretty good, maybe even better than the one from Revel In Flesh. Also, i'm really hooked to the new Paradise Lost album 'Tragic Idol', for some reason it's way more catchy than their previous one :)

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:29 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I may need to try out Charon again with all this new found love, I thought it was rather tedious when I first tried it.

That's because it is rather tedious actually! I don't see why people make such a fuss about it. Still have to check those Binah and Puteraeon albums to see what they're made off though.

Machine_Dead wrote:
Also, i'm really hooked to the new Paradise Lost album 'Tragic Idol', for some reason it's way more catchy than their previous one :)

Tragic Idol has its songs built much more around the choruses rather than the riffs, I think that's what makes it so catchy. The first couple of times I listened to it I found it a bit bland but I still couldn't turn it off. It's a rather good album with a slightly different approach to songwriting than their recent efforts.

XSpidercideX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:48 pm 

Saturnian - Dimensions is an impressive new album for people who enjoy symphonic extreme metal like Dimmu. It has a lot of these cool synthy parts for people who enjoy industrial or electronic music.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:26 pm 

I'm listening to the new Grave Digger currently, Clash of The Gods. Killer album, I don't yet know where it stands in relation to their most recent works. But this album is right now sounding like it will be the best since Rheingold.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:31 am 

Evoken's Atra Mors has more or less made it into my top five, crushing and atmospheric all at the same time.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:46 pm 

androdion wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:

That's because it is rather tedious actually! I don't see why people make such a fuss about it. Still have to check those Binah and Puteraeon albums to see what they're made off though.

I haven't made it through Puteraeon fully in any of my attempts. There are SOME good parts, but most of it is pretty bland, and you have to dig through a lot of boring stuff to find the stuff that is of interest.

dalecooper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:11 am 

Sokaris wrote:
I think that Puteraeon album undoubtedly crushes Horrendous, Ignivimous, Revel in Flesh and any other oldschool worship album I've heard this year. Just... damn.

Really? This surprises me. I admit I haven't heard the whole album yet, but the 2-3 tracks I heard from YouTube or elsewhere sounded like total meat-and-potatoes, not-particularly-interesting Swedeath revival. I'm a big fan of that sound historically, but even I have to admit I'm getting a little burned out on it now, and nothing I've heard from them so far has really grabbed me. The thing I really liked about Horrendous (to single out just one example) was that even though that sound is in their DNA, that's not all they're about; they kind of mix different influences. Plus the songwriting is a cut above. Puteraeon seem more aggressive than Horrendous, but that's low on the list of criteria that interest me in this kind of band, in 2012. (Nobody's topping the rabidness of early Dismember anyway.)

For OSDM the best thing I've heard this year is Degial. Holy balls, what a good album. Still haven't heard more than bits of pieces of Binah, though.

Dark Descent Records

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:59 am 

dalecooper wrote:
I admit I haven't heard the whole album yet, but the 2-3 tracks I heard from YouTube or elsewhere sounded like total meat-and-potatoes, not-particularly-interesting Swedeath revival. I'm a big fan of that sound historically, but even I have to admit I'm getting a little burned out on it now, and nothing I've heard from them so far has really grabbed me. The thing I really liked about Horrendous (to single out just one example) was that even though that sound is in their DNA, that's not all they're about; they kind of mix different influences. Plus the songwriting is a cut above. Puteraeon seem more aggressive than Horrendous, but that's low on the list of criteria that interest me in this kind of band, in 2012. (Nobody's topping the rabidness of early Dismember anyway.)

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. I have never heard of Degial though. Ought to check 'em out.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

dalecooper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:11 am 

triggerhappy wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. I have never heard of Degial though. Ought to check 'em out.

Let me facilitate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwKECeuAVX4

Dark Descent Records

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:37 am 

About 2/3s through that debut Binah album and I'm so fucking sold. This is awesome! Incredibly crushing stuff, loving everything about this album.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:01 pm 

Serpentine Path - Serpentine Path (self-titled, 2012) is definitely worth checking out.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:04 pm 

Serpent Sermon had a some interesting songs, chiefly the opener and closer. Being particularly good for Marduk in that they were actually memorable, Serpent Sermon deserves a mention.

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:37 am 

I love the new ea album/track... probably my favorite so far this year. Other albums I've liked include Phantom Antichrist by Kreator, Psalms For the Dead by Candlemass, Dark Roots of Earth by Testament, Torture by Cannibal Corpse, and Resolution by Lamb of God.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:14 am 

Finally got Katatonia's Dead End Kings.
Wow, i'm actually surprised by how good it is. Like some posters said in its own thread, its better than NITND. Its amazing witnessing how Jonas has become a very good singer. His vocals and the overall singing gets better with each release. Love the guitar solos too

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:18 am 

Misfit74 wrote:
Serpentine Path - Serpentine Path (self-titled, 2012) is definitely worth checking out.

It's worth checking out, but it won't get many re-runs in my case... found it to be kinda boring in the long run.

I love Demonic Death Judge's first full length The Descent. it's a amazing Black/Sludge Metal album ( I would call it sludge with black metal influences because the biggest black metal influences are the vocals, not the songwriting) The songs all have a original feel to them, and the grooves don't die down after two minutes. Definitely one of my favorite albums right now to just blast at full volume.

Take a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlyFP83k91Q

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:49 am 

Slag wrote:
I'm listening to the new Grave Digger currently, Clash of The Gods. Killer album, I don't yet know where it stands in relation to their most recent works. But this album is right now sounding like it will be the best since Rheingold.

Rheingold will be tough to beat, since Manni Schmidt left they havent even come close without his awesome riffs. I hope they prove me wrong.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:59 am 

Well, I don't think Horrendous' album was much below Puturaeon, just to clarify. Both great albums, definitely.

Chaos Inception wins death metal 2012 though. I know I mentioned it before in this thread but album is a real killer.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:23 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Slag wrote:

Rheingold will be tough to beat, since Manni Schmidt left they havent even come close without his awesome riffs. I hope they prove me wrong.

It was okay, but it has nothing on Rheingold or The Reaper. The best thing about the album was that it made me realize that there were two albums between this and Liberty or Death that I either forgot about or didn't know existed. I'm a bad fan.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:01 am 

The new Grave Digger did absolutely nothing for me, and I've listened to it several times. The only other Grave Digger I've heard is Excalibur, which is an awesome album.

One album I have rather enjoyed from this year is Birth Through Gore- Reign Of Depravity. Simple, pummeling death metal that doesn't overstay its welcome. Autothrall wrote a good review for it.

Last edited by Trashy_Rambo on Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:04 am 

I have yet to hear the newest GD. This band has rehashed the shit out of themselves since Knights in 1998. I kept listening until 2005 with the album with Jesus on it and it was basically as far as I could take this band. They keep consistently pumping out the same album worse than the most rehashed death metal bands like Unleashed or something. Nonetheless, I might go for this one just because something this potent wouldn't be mentioned unless it really was (on Grave Digger's level).

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:13 am 

Dunno, I liked The Clans Will Rise Again a lot, good honest heavy metal, I prefer their strategy over the one of RW, eh?

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:15 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Serpent Sermon had a some interesting songs, chiefly the opener and closer. Being particularly good for Marduk in that they were actually memorable, Serpent Sermon deserves a mention.

Yeah I agree, and IMO a sadly overlooked album this year.

I've found myself insanely addicted to the Murder Construct album. Must feel great to be Travis Ryan this year, with this and Cattle Decapitation's album, both bound to be in the top ten.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:31 am 

indeed, the latest Cattle Decapitation album is beyond awesome, still haven't checked out Murder Construct, but i will do so... Curious what all the fuzz is about...

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:54 am 

Nocturnal Torment - They Come At Night.
Raw, fast paced, unrelenting osdm. Sounds like a cross between Morbid Angel and Entombed with some very good technical guitar acrobatics. Nothing new, but a very solid, intense death metal from really skilled musicians.
Could be a little shorter though..

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:40 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I have yet to hear the newest GD. This band has rehashed the shit out of themselves since Knights in 1998. I kept listening until 2005 with the album with Jesus on it and it was basically as far as I could take this band. They keep consistently pumping out the same album worse than the most rehashed death metal bands like Unleashed or something. Nonetheless, I might go for this one just because something this potent wouldn't be mentioned unless it really was (on Grave Digger's level).

I dunno, I've gone to the albums I've missed and think Ballads of a Hangman is some top notch stuff when it comes to Grave Digger, and I'm kind of weird because I think The Last Supper is pretty decent, "Hell to Pay" is a killer track. But yeah I wouldn't really recommend the new album unless you don't mind the fact that they've been writing the same album for almost twenty years now.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:15 am 

Steel Assassin's "Metal Of Honour". Great comeback album for them. Solid from start to finish.

XSpidercideX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:17 pm 

Has Inanimate Existence - Liberation Through Hearing been mentioned yet? Because this is really good. I'm loving the second instrumental half.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:50 pm 

XSpidercideX wrote:
Has Inanimate Existence - Liberation Through Hearing been mentioned yet? Because this is really good. I'm loving the second instrumental half.

Listened to one song and that was really cool!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

BreedingtheSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:20 pm 

So far this year I have liked the following albums:

Fear Factory- The Industrialist
Mysteriarch- Mournful Embrace of Aeons
Demoncy- Enthroned is the Night
Lunar Aurora - Hoagascht
Devilish Impressions- Simulacra
Overkill- The Electric Age

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 36  Next