Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheLastSucker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:24 pm 

Ministry - Relapse
Imaginary Flying Machines - Princess Ghibli II
NeuroTech - Decipher Vol. 1

I don't know. Many new things always end up disappointing me.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:58 pm 

Sonata Arctica - Stones Grow Her Name is...interesting. Really bombastic, poppy, hooky and even silly at times. Some parts of it definitely won't sit well with most metal fans, but it's all really fresh and fun stuff so far. Can't say much else since this seems a grower - "Only the Broken Hearts" is absolutely wonderful though.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:24 pm 

Not understanding the love for In Mourning's The Weight Of Oceans at all. I tried to give it another chance because It's my first experience with the band, but amongst the melodic death metal I've bothered to give a listen it's some of the tamest, weakest and lamest. Plus that production completely saps every ounce of heaviness it could possibly aspire to have. Usually I'm okay with somewhat sterile production, but this is another level.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:11 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Not understanding the love for In Mourning's The Weight Of Oceans at all. I tried to give it another chance because It's my first experience with the band, but amongst the melodic death metal I've bothered to give a listen it's some of the tamest, weakest and lamest. Plus that production completely saps every ounce of heaviness it could possibly aspire to have. Usually I'm okay with somewhat sterile production, but this is another level.

Don't worry about it. Your perception probably won't change if you think that strongly about the production. Don't let my review have even a speckle of influence, either, because I write reviews for myself.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:11 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Sonata Arctica - Stones Grow Her Name is...interesting. Really bombastic, poppy, hooky and even silly at times. Some parts of it definitely won't sit well with most metal fans, but it's all really fresh and fun stuff so far. Can't say much else since this seems a grower - "Only the Broken Hearts" is absolutely wonderful though.

It leaked?

To the internet!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:16 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

Don't worry about it. Your perception probably won't change if you think that strongly about the production. Don't let my review have even a speckle of influence, either, because I write reviews for myself.

Hey, this album looks interesting, might have to give it a listen.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:16 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

Holy shit, I'm kind of liking it?! :nods:

ArranoBeltza
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:38 pm 

Cattle Decapitation- Monolith of Inhumanity
Overkill- The Electric Age

Both are excellent. "Torture" from Cannibal Corpse is pretty good as well, though I wouldn't quite call it great.

EDIT: Oh yeah forgot Deathhammer from Asphyx. That shit is superb.

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:26 pm 

Metal_Detector wrote:
Holy shit, I'm kind of liking it?! :nods:

So am I. Well... at least I Have a Right; I haven't listened to the rest of it yet...
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:43 pm 

That's easily the worst song on the album.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:35 pm 

I disagree; "Shitload of Money" and "Cinderblox" are worse, though the former isn't nearly as bad as I may have thought by its title. Both tracks are still decent, though they stretch my tolerance of the style a bit...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:52 pm 

Both of those I enjoy, especially Cinderblox. That song is just wonderful. :lol: But if those are the ones you don't like so much, you'll probably like Unia and The Days of Grays, not to mention Reckoning Night, just fine, because those two (Shitload of Money and Cinderblox) are the songs that sound the most unlike their usual output.

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:05 am 

Empyreal wrote:
That's easily the worst song on the album.

Oh, really? I was rather impressed with it. I thought it was repetitive in a good way -- constantly building towards something.

Might just have to give the leak a peek...
Was du geschlagen

-Gustav Mahler

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:50 am 

Carach Angren - Where the Corpses Sink Forever

I don't know how they did it, but they actually made something as good as their debut, if not better. I usually stay the hell away from symphonic black metal. I feel that it often sounds fake, forced, and gimmicky... But this album is anything but gimmicky. The symphonic elements are subtle and original, and the songwriting is top notch.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:32 am 

So I've been keeping a numbered list of all the albums I've listened to from 2012, and placing them correspondingly on the list as to how much I like them, so the best album in number 1 and so on down the line. All year the top spot has been a vicious dogfight between Cannibal Corpse and Accept. I've been trying to keep up on the big names, but I've been a bit behind, and as such have only just now gotten to the new Sigh album. Holy shit that just rocketed into the number one spot as well. It's currently a three way tie and will be like choosing favorite children if none of these three albums wear off by year's end.

Also the new Overkill is in the bottom half, I forgot they even released an album. It's basically Ironbound II and I obviously really, really liked Ironbound, but it's just a bland rehash to my ears, it doesn't catch me at all. It's like an expansion/map pack to a great videogame that you have to pay another full $60 for, ya know?
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:40 am 

I really like The Electric Age; tons of good songs on it. Ironbound was maybe a little better overall, but this one is awesome too. "Come and Get It" is a near perfect thrash song, and others like "Electric Rattlesnake," "Save Yourself," "Drop the Hammer Down," etc are all really fucking cool too.

Iron Fire's Voyage of the Damned is a bit overwrought but I like it; they have improved a LOT since I last heard them like 5 years ago!

In Mourning's The Weight of Oceans is pretty cool. Great production job, some really ambitious songs...maybe a bit too long though at some points. But tracks 2-5 or so are all sublime.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:42 am 

Empyreal wrote:
In Mourning's The Weight of Oceans is pretty cool. Great production job, some really ambitious songs...maybe a bit too long though at some points. But tracks 2-5 or so are all sublime.

I'm very glad that you enjoyed it.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:59 am 

The best album so far this year is still Bury the Light, though Dissona comes in at a close second.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:59 am 

I'm sure I'll listen to the new Overkill more as the year goes on, but it's a bad start when I forgot it existed less than two months after it came out. I remember really liking "Electric Rattlesnake" and "Come and Get It" though, so who knows? Maybe it was just in a bad mood when I first heard it.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:03 am 

I should mention that I really liked the new Overkill, too. Not incredible, but it had some great tunes, like "Black Daze." I actually found some of the slower, groovier tracks to be the catchiest.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:18 am 

The new Ignivomous sucked so hard it wasn't even funny. Dull Incantation worship from start to finish with maybe a heavier sludgy section thrown around, crap all around this year has been terrible for death metal other than the new CC, Cattle Decap, and Undergang.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:49 am 

They're the only band to truly replicate the twisted evilness of an Incantation riff, and they play it noticeably faster and pretty much never slow down, so they not only avoid being exactly Incantation (although riffing style wise they ARE the closest, and I mean that as a good thing), but more importantly are leagues apart from the hundreds of bands who try to immitate the 50/50 trems and doom split. Riff wise they are fantastic also, pretty much flying in the face of the morbid atmosphere only crowd. My only issue with it is that it's pretty much all high speed, and as such doesn't need to be 45 minutes long.

CC did very little for me, and Cattle Decaptiation are not my sort of thing at all. Undergang is awesome though.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:13 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Also the new Overkill is in the bottom half, I forgot they even released an album. It's basically Ironbound II and I obviously really, really liked Ironbound, but it's just a bland rehash to my ears, it doesn't catch me at all. It's like an expansion/map pack to a great videogame that you have to pay another full $60 for, ya know?

Haha yes, I agree with this. It sort of just came and went without really grabbing you by the balls like Ironbound did. I don't really remember much of it now.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:19 am 

I have to say that Tragic Idol was a pleasant surprise, as I wasn't expecting it to be this good. They seem to be following the last album's formula up to a point, and the first half of the album is very very good. The second loses some steam and goes more into a melancholic and slow territory but it still has some good tunes. Overall, a pretty good record and Nick's voice still seems to have some power in it.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:48 pm 

Metal_Detector wrote:
I should mention that I really liked the new Overkill, too. Not incredible, but it had some great tunes, like "Black Daze." I actually found some of the slower, groovier tracks to be the catchiest.

The Electric Age is a really great album but if they could make an awesome album that consists entirely of doom metal, I could die happy. I love Electric Rattlesnake and Come And Get It but Black Daze just might be my favorite track on the album.

But yeah, there are way too many good albums that have come out this year for me to really come up with a good list yet. Props to the albums by Pharaoh, Sigh, High On Fire, OSI, and Flying Colors in particular.

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:55 pm 

Cattle Decapitation's Monolith of Inhumanity. Holy shit. It is the musical equivalent of giving 10,000 monkeys a shit ton of crack and locking them in a room with spikes on all the walls and floors and letting them throw feces at each other.
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

Painkiller1349
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:05 pm 

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Behemoth brings the snuggle.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:10 pm 

MSGSX, instead of giving an internet-dood description, you should have just said the album is "really awesome" and saved yourself the embarrassment.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:23 pm 

I've heard nothing but praise for the new Cattle Decap. I've never been a fan but everyone says it blows all their other shit out of the water so I may have to buckle down and give it a spin.

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:28 pm 

For me it has to be De Vermis Mysteriis and Oro: Opus Primum. Been listening to them alot recently. Though these are the only 2012 cds I got. But they're really good regardless. There's nothing like listening to Ufomammut with no distractions.

thorson88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:06 pm 

this album by anguish is damn good... also new cattle decapitation is a really good album. If anyone is into funeral doom be sure to check out the new Ea release. I also really enjoyed the band plague widow as mentioned by someone earlier...also new dark forest from Canada.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:34 am 

been listening to the new Aldebaran album, Embracing the Lightless Depths. really loving it thus far. quality funeral doom metal

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:02 am 

thorson88 wrote:
Ea

Yup, this is great stuff.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

Glentxa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:32 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I really like The Electric Age; tons of good songs on it. Ironbound was maybe a little better overall.

I prefer 'The electric age' to 'Ironbound' although I seem to be in a minority here.

Glentxa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:32 am 

Dragunov wrote:
I've heard nothing but praise for the new Cattle Decap. I've never been a fan but everyone says it blows all their other shit out of the water so I may have to buckle down and give it a spin.

+1

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:39 am 

Glentxa wrote:
Dragunov wrote:

+1

I'll have to do so, too. Last album I heard by the band was Humanure and I thought it sucked.

death234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:51 pm 

Just heard new Sabaton thought it was pretty good but not as strong as some of there other albums. The song "Carolus Rex" was good and "Killing Ground" is pretty good as well. They have a cool cover of Status Quo's "In the Army Now" on the U.S release.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:30 pm 

Gore__Grinder wrote:
been listening to the new Aldebaran album, Embracing the Lightless Depths. really loving it thus far. quality funeral doom metal

Probably hands down the biggest disappointment for me this year was the new Aldebaran. Dwellers in the Twilight was a massive and crushing experience, and Buried Beneath aeons showed no real indication of a shift in sound for the band other than a hint of more melody. Than I heard a few songs from their label and on Youtube and its generic, slow, and repetitive crap funeral doom without any distinguishing qualities. The riffs were generic slowed down funeral room riffs and the keys were just like any Evoken album, its like Profound lore just told them to suck all the originality of their death/doom/sludge sound and commanded them to sound like x shitty funeral doom band. Another one bites the dust for 2012.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:59 pm 

I suppose I can add Anhedonist's Netherwards to the albums that kicked my ass this year. At first I didn't quite understand what everyone was raving about; I listened to Saturnine and Estrangement and thought they were rather boring. But for some reason, I couldn't stop wanting to go back and give them another try. After listening to the former song again, everything finally fell into place. That's the mark of a great album.

Sigur Ros' Valtari is another winner. Sure it isn't metal, but good music is good music. It's not quite as depressing as ( ), nor does it reach the heights of Ágætis byrjun or Takk...; however, it's a definite improvement over Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust, and kicks the shit out of the other post-rock albums released this year, all of which I found mediocre.
Was du geschlagen

-Gustav Mahler

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:02 pm 

Eh, that new Cattle Decap was more of the same for me. I mean I don't hate it, but I probably won't be listening to it again.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 36  Next