Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:46 am 

Personally, I'd have to disagree: I prefer 'The Link' to 'The Way of All Flesh'; I often feel that the latter lacks the dynamism and sheer grunt of the former, although it is still a great record ("The Art of Dying" is one of my favourite Gojira songs). And, re CheesusCrust, let's keep in mind the bleeding obvious: not everyone shares the same musical taste.

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:27 am 

Hands down to Xandria... Despite being a huge fan of Epica, I find this album "Neverworld's End" better than Epica's "Requiem for the Indifferent".
This is the closest you can get to early Nightwish materials, known as Tarja Turunen era

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:16 am 

Just listened to Incurso for the first time and that one pisses all over Spawn Of Possessions' other albums. Easily. Of course it needs more listens but I'm very pleased with my first spin.

Listening to new Ketha now, and then new Hour Of Penance after.

2012 album night, I guess.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:23 pm 

Like some others in this thread, I'm enjoying Before The Dawn's newest. The harmonies on this album are way better than before. Makes for instantly addictive, memorable songs.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

TheDragonaut
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:37 pm 

This year has had quite a variety of excellent releases. All kinds of death metal from Asphyx, Horrendous, Spawn of Possession (Looking forward to the Ectovoid full-length), a great new Meshuggah album, the new Sigh album, and awesome stoner/doom records from High on Fire and Ancestors.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:15 pm 

I've got to say listening to Monolithe's EP again it is a lot better than I initially gave it credit for. Not as riffless and ambient as I had first thought.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:21 pm 

The Foreshadowing - Second World

Awesome gothic doom metal. Probably in my top 3 right now.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:25 am 

Their debut album Days of Nothing was awesome. Oionos didn't hit me the same way but I probably never gave it a serious listen. I should hear this new one.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:12 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I've got to say listening to Monolithe's EP again it is a lot better than I initially gave it credit for. Not as riffless and ambient as I had first thought.

The atmosphere on it is rad. Love the drumming as well; nice and busy.

Didn't like the new The Foreshadowing, though I suppose I'm not that big a fan of gothic/doom anyway. On a semi-related note, I did like the new Moonspell. It made for a good introduction to the band.

Also, Anhedonist's Netherwards is amazing. It has a strong Mournful Congregation vibe going on, alternated with some filthy Morbid Angel-esque sludgy sections. Going straight into my top 10 as of now; hopefully it'll remain there till the end of the year.

...Seems like I'm in a huge doom mood right now.

EDIT: I think I'm in love with Wodensthrone's Curse. Without going in too much of a fanboyish rambling, I'll just say that it's an improvement over Loss in almost every way. Each song is just as powerful as the previous one, yet they're all ever so distinctly different. Hands down, album of the year right now. Yes, even better than Sigh!
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

ahr888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:55 pm 

It's been a good year so far.

Pyscroptic - The Inherited Repression. Not quite what I was hoping for but astonishing nonetheless in its own way.
Eluveitie - Helvetios. No surprise there, another solid album.
Six Feet Under - Undead. Much better than most of the stuff they've done recently.
Cannibal Corpse - Torture. Finally they return to form after decades of crappy stuff.
Allegaeon - Formshifter. These guys are turning out to be a great technical melodic band.

A lot of new and newish bands are coming out with some great classic death metal, 2012 is turning out to be a revival year for the genre:

Day of Execution - Dead Burning to Ashes.
Dawn of Disease - Crypts of the Unrotten.
Dyscarnate - And So it Came to Pass.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:02 pm 

Just heard Monolith of Inhumanity and I have to say its a contender for best death metal album I've heard so far, Incurso was a piece of shit no riffs to speak of and the same can be said for the newest Hour of Penance. I was terribly disappointed especially given the monster than Paradogma was, its safe to say that Hour of Penance is dead creatively for me at least.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:05 pm 

Veracs wrote:
Just heard Monolith of Inhumanity and I have to say its a contender for best death metal album I've heard so far

I agree with this. The others... Not so much. :P

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:01 pm 

The new Allegaeon is a pretty kick ass death metal outing. Strikes a great balance of melody and technicality.

Abrogar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:08 pm 

Check the new Serocs Ep out

http://serocs.bandcamp.com

Rusted and Rotting
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:55 pm 

Liked the new High on Fire a lot, especially the really sludgy, fuzzed-out doomy tracks like "Madness of an Architect."

Really digging Dodecahedron's s/t debut. It's been in rotation a lot. It's damn good Deathspell-inspired black metal, though in my opinion it's not quite on the same level as those French masters of dissonance and creepiness. I'm excited to see where they go from here, though. Looking forward to future material.
"I am drunk as fuck, driving around town drunk, I'm on dope, and I want you to call the police. Not only that, but I got a loaded hand gun right here. I'm gonna start firing this off. So please call the cops." --Ricky, "Trailer Park Boys"

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:11 pm 

triggerhappy wrote:
Didn't like the new The Foreshadowing, though I suppose I'm not that big a fan of gothic/doom anyway.

The voice is still very good and the production and mixing is fantastic. The doomy riffs are another treat, though something about the songwriting isn't very interesting. Sort of goes and goes without hitting stride, mainly with the long tracks. "Reverie Is A Tyrant" is the only track I remember because it was really cool.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Megadeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:51 pm 

Most recent: Crystal Viper - Crimen Excepta
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlSO2erLSUE

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:44 pm 

Megadeth wrote:

Daaaammn @ their vocalist. Will definitely be listening to this if it's anything like Running Wild.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:00 pm 

Steel Assassin - WWII: Metal of Honor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve25SKJj9ns

Sounds like a pretty awesome follow-up to the criminally under-recognized War of the Eight Saints.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:08 am 

Yeah, I heard the first song off the Steel Assassin, pretty good stuff, not such a great chorus though.

New Crystal Viper song is as boring as they've been since their second album. Shame. You guys who are just hearing them for the first time, go back and listen to the debut, it's the only good one.

I've also listened to some of the new Dezperadoz tracks, good shit so far, better than their last one.

nosferatu1234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:38 pm 

Abrogar wrote:
Check the new Serocs Ep out

http://serocs.bandcamp.com

Yuck

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:16 am 

Metal_Detector wrote:
The new Allegaeon is a pretty kick ass death metal outing. Strikes a great balance of melody and technicality.

This is actually really cool. Not something I would have ever gone out and found on my own with the genre name/supposedly sounds like Arsis thing, but I like it a lot. This will hold me over on my technical-death-metal-used-for-catchy-melody needs while Anata stays stranded in development hell.

Last edited by lord_ghengis on Thu May 10, 2012 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:18 am 

just had a listen to Temple - structures in chaos. some quite good death metal. nothing revolutionary by any means but a solid death metal album for sure

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:23 am 

The new In Mourning is pretty amazing, far better than the decent, but questionable monolith. The only song I don't like is the soft Celestial Tear. It just doesn't fit into the album as a whole.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:24 am 

Wodensthrone was pretty good, around the same level as Loss. They need to bring some more Saxonism into their music though, to distinguish themselves from other european regional black metal.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:25 pm 

Well my Ignivomous CD has shown up, and I'm tentatively calling it my number one. I admit I was little overzealous with Acephalix, who do lack the sheer riffing to back up the fun energy and drum work, but Ignivomous seem to be safe in that department. Easily the riffiest thing I've heard all year, this thing has a disgusting amount of awesome riffs on it, every 15 seconds there is a new one just as good and as evil as the last. But Undergang might still be able to beat on repeated listens simply due to the lack of approachable songwriting, production and drumming on it. Like last time, it's Incantation's riffing style perfectly replicated, at double speed, with far less and far shorter slower bits. While the absurdly high and sustained tempo sets it apart from all the bands trying to be atmospheric and moody these days, it is pretty overwhelming and could do with a little more breathing space with a tad more doom or lead work, since they rule at it, and because the drummer is "fast music needs blasts and blasts only" for all the top speed stuff. Also, while the production is better than last time, it's still pretty unforgiving on shittier sound systems, so my car is pretty overwhelmed by a noisy hiss, sounds very good through good speakers though. People who feel new death metal is missing out on riffs should look here, there are like 25 amazing, twisted and utterly evil riffs that are more than just a deep tone and some slow riffing on pretty much every song.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:01 am 

The new Carach Angren was a mild disappointment. It's just the same as their other albums; slightly above average with a few kickass standout tracks, but not enough to really call it great.

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:06 am 

Yeah, I was disappointed, too, but for other reasons... the sound was fine on the previous two albums, but here it does not highlight the intensity of some parts adequately enough. The topic would suggest a darker and more disturbing atmosphere, but except for some vocal passages this is simply not accomplished.

I wasn't satisfied with "Death Came Through A Phantom Ship" at the beginning, either, but I'm more than skeptical that my opinion will change in this case.

I also listened to new Diablo Swing Orchestra and while I welcome their heavier sound, I'm still not convinced by their songwriting skills, even their choruses used to be better before.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:19 am 

triggerhappy wrote:
The new Carach Angren was a mild disappointment. It's just the same as their other albums; slightly above average with a few kickass standout tracks, but not enough to really call it great.

I almost forgot to listen to it, thanks for reminding me. The one track I heard (Lingering in an imprint haunting) is pretty good. The guitars could be a little thicker and louder though.

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:25 am 

For the most part, all my favorite releases are from bigger names. Not sure what order I would put them in but my number one would be from either Napalm Death, Aborted, Cannibal Corpse, or Cattle Decapitation.

Aborted - Global Flatline
Allegaeon - Formshifter
Asphyx - Deathhammer
Cannibal Corpse - Torture
Cattle Decapitation - Monolith Of Inhumanity
Hour Of Penance - Sedition
Meshuggah - Koloss
Napalm Death - Utilitarian
Overkill - The Electric Age
Spawn Of Possession - Incurso

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:56 am 

CoF wrote:
Yeah, I was disappointed, too, but for other reasons... the sound was fine on the previous two albums, but here it does not highlight the intensity of some parts adequately enough. The topic would suggest a darker and more disturbing atmosphere, but except for some vocal passages this is simply not accomplished.

I wasn't satisfied with "Death Came Through A Phantom Ship" at the beginning, either, but I'm more than skeptical that my opinion will change in this case.

I also listened to new Diablo Swing Orchestra and while I welcome their heavier sound, I'm still not convinced by their songwriting skills, even their choruses used to be better before.

I thought the guitar sound was slightly heavier than before, but yeah, it just isn't sinister enough, even if they really try to be. I think the debut remains my favourite album of theirs.

Eh, the new DSO was alright I guess. They've got a solid gimmick and decent songwriting to back it up, but pretty much nothing else.

Currently listening to Trioscapes' album. It's got the bassist of BTBAM doing some rad shit.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:01 pm 

triggerhappy wrote:
Currently listening to Trioscapes' album. It's got the bassist of BTBAM doing some rad shit

I'll be checking that one out, thanks. :)

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

GodheadsDamnation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:57 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
The new In Mourning is pretty amazing, far better than the decent, but questionable monolith. The only song I don't like is the soft Celestial Tear. It just doesn't fit into the album as a whole.

Agreed, definitely one of my favourites of the year so far, Monolith was really hard to get into but it has its moments.

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:30 am 

Ne Obliviscaris was... ugh. If I had to use just one word to describe the album, it would have to be "overloaded". It's got so many ideas but none of them are gripping.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:47 am 

Any love for Faal - The Clouds Are Burning? Pretty awesome funeral doom.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:48 am 

Just listened to the new Wodensthrone tonight. Seemed like your typical, solid atmospheric BM. Definitely an enjoyable release, albeit doesn't quite match the likes of Falls of Rauros or Skagos in my opinion. Next up on my list is the new Ne Obliviscaris that I've been hearing quite a bit of mixed opinions about. I enjoyed their demo enough I hope to hear more of the same, if not better with the full-length.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:06 am 

I totally agree one Wodensthrone, I listened last night myself, it was a very standard by the books release. Pleasant enough, doesn't do anything wrong, doesn't do anything particularly impressive either.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:23 am 

I agree with the two above; they really need to try something new or start making their music more memorable.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:32 am 

Definitely loving this new Pallbearer

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:46 am 

Both Overkill and Accepts new albums are very good.
Shadowmaker is a huge dissapointment, tho I can actually say I like Me & Boys due to it's unbelievably stupid non-Running Wild factor
Steelwing - Zone Of Alienation wasn't as good as the debut, but still good and has been played a lot
I have still to listen to both Lonewolf and Crystal Vipers new ones

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 36  Next