Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
phibzy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:19 pm 

A couple come to mind for me:

1. Sonata Arctica - They played the first night of Screamfest in Sydney in 2009, although that night was 18+ so I couldn't see them. Although I couldn't do much about it, the fact that power metal bands rarely tour here just makes me annoyed that this gig was 18+. Other bands on that night I would have liked to have seen were Rotting Christ and Malevolent Creation.

2. Dream Theater - My dad offered me FREE TICKETS to this show in 2007 or 2008, and I refused due to me being a retarded 12/13 year old. Thank fuck that they came back in 2009(i think it was) and I was able to see them with Portnoy on the Black Clouds... Tour before he left the band.

3. Cathedral - It was either their last or second last show ever (supposedly) a couple months ago. Not a big fan of the band, but I was interested enough to go to the show because Paradise Lost were also playing too. Unfortunately due to an exam the next day I had to bail on it which was a shame.

And now, for the ultimate disappointment:

4. Heaven & Hell - Now I know other people also missed them, but it is a much bigger regret for me. I think the show was either in 2007 or 2008, but either way my dad offered me FREE TICKETS TO GO SEE THIS FUCKING SHOW and me being the silly 12/13 year old I was didn't accept them as for some reason I didn't recognise the band name when he initially told me. However, when he recounted to me how great the show was the day after, I quickly realised exactly what I had done and I felt fucking terrible. Needless to say, ever since then whenever my dad offers me tickets to shows I make sure to always accept them.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:01 am 

There's been a few for me but I'm at a mind blank at the moment.
I missed Dio and Judas Priest here back in 2008, thought Dio would be back and I just wasn't that into Priest at the time.

Also missed Arcturus and Celtic Frost's last live world tour in 2008 as well, it was a really great year for metal here.

ErectileProjectile
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:02 am 

Jungle Rot a week or two ago
And who the hell cares about Virgin Steele? That band doesn't matter.

You sir, have made a very powerful enemy this day.

CrushedRevelation wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Better question is why is there a rooster on the cd?

Because they like cocks?

Gompidge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:40 am 

The only one that comes to mind is Satyricon, London in I think 2002. They've played England various times since but the setlists haven't really been to my liking since. To a lesser extent the Arcturus gig in London, as previously mentioned.

I'm sure there's some smaller bands/gigs too but I was very tempted with that gig.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:59 am 

It looks like I'm going to miss Aura Noir on the 31st, because it coincides with me being away for three weeks. Fuck.

odinofasgard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:40 am 

Since I don't have a car yet I miss way too many concerts every year. The one show I'm really angry that I didn't go to was mayhem. I could have gotten a meet and greet for pretty cheap as well. ugh

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:01 am 

I missed Slayer back in 2010, due to being stuck at a baseball tournament on the other side of the province. That's a once in a lifetime thing when it comes to Nova Scotia :ugh:
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

Clowndoe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:40 am 

A few years ago Sabaton and Accept were in town and one of my friends asked me to come. Just as I walked through the door my felt my dad's hand on my collar dragging me back into the house because I had an exam the next morning. Well guess what? I butchered that chemistry exam anyway, thanks a lot!

Nephilum667
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:07 am 

A thought just occurred to me- there are concerts I wish I could've attended- a few that occurred in my lifetime and a few that happened prior to my birth. So I have an important question- which concerts do you wish you could've attended? They can be local, across the world, or even a dream concert.

Well for starters- I wish I could've seen Death during the Spiritual Healing tour (happened before I was born and they came to my hometown!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ_i6DRk ... A23ECE4F94

I wish I could've seen Soilent Green live before L. Ben Falgoust II joined the band (back in the Glenn Rambo days).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goUduzMH ... =endscreen

I also wish I could've seen Xysma live- love these guys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRWDiIAEQaM

The Day of Death Festival in 1990- Cannibal Corpse, Repulsion, Suffocation, Autopsy, Mortician, Incantation, Immolation, Baphomet, and Disharmonic Orchestra all in one festival? Uuuggghhhh.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnYFveXh8uo

This year's Maryland Death Fest- I almost died when I saw the setlist of people playing... on the first three lines. Then I saw the rest and was like "I'm fucking done" and had a hug fit over not being able to go this year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJvrj0wY ... re=related

ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:27 am 

Day of Darkness Fest '91 in Oulu.

tronics
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:41 am 

Motley Crue in Sydney circa about 1988 - I remember I was so pissed off about that.

Pantera in about 96 - dunno how or why I missed that

Sepultura in 92. God dammit.

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:18 am 

I wish I was old enough to go see Portal when they came to Melbourne in January.
Damn 18+ shows.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:29 am 

I'm very annoyed that I missed the last 2 Maryland Deathfests, as well as Gilead Media Fest. For non-festivals, I wish I had made it to the Vestiges/Downfall of Gaia show in DC.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:52 pm 

Amon Amarth, Marduk, Sodom and some others that played on that 70,000 Tons of Metal cruise a couple years back. I should have begged borrowed stole to get aboard that one. FUCK!!!

HughesDePayens
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:57 pm 

Death. Never got a chance to see them live and they're among my favourite bands.
Grave Digger. I don't think they've ever come to Canada. If they ever do, I'm THERE.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:54 pm 

Next month will be playing Incantation + Immolation in Brazil.

I saw Incantation in 98' and Immolation will be playing here in july 1, but the 2 bands together? Damn.

Fourthly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:13 pm 

I will put it this way: I could write a book about the shows I have missed. The shows I made it to would fill one panel of a pamphlet.

The ones that really stung were:

Missing Anal Cunt/Mortician/Incantation on the fall 96 tour.
Missing Dismember when they toured the states with Krisiun, Shadows Fall and whoever else it was.
Missing the Macabre release show for "Murder Metal".

But on the bright side I did get to see:

Type O Negative in 03 (I'm not a Type O fan, per se but they did play one hell of a show)
Napalm Death/Obituary in 05

Now if I could see Faith No More someday that would make up for all of the shows I missed.

~Guest 41299
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:36 pm 

Well, if I would name all concerts it would be a long list, so I'll try to narrow it down.

The first Rock in Rio festival, back in 1985. Two days were really special. In one of them there was Whitesnake, Iron Maiden (during the World Slavery Tour) and Queen and on the other there was Whitesnake, Ozzy, Scorpions and AC/DC.

The second Rock in Rio festival in 1991 (even though this one I got to see on TV), on the particular day that Sepultura (right after the release of Arise), Megadeth (when they were touring for Rust in Peace, with Friedman and Menza), Queensryche, Judas Priest (before Halford left the band on the Painkiller tour) and Guns and Roses played.

I didn't got see those Rock in Rio gigs because on the first i was 4 years old and on the second I was ten years old.

I also miss a Mercyful Fate/King Diamond gig at my home town around 95 or 96. I really can't remember why i didn't went to that.

Two bands I really wish I could have seen are Thin Lizzy and Rainbow (when Dio was in the band, even tough I got to see Dio back in 1996 and it was a great show)

I'm sure that's more concerts I missed but I'll leave it at that for now.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:40 pm 

I think anyone would be hard pressed to find any metalhead who would not want to attend a circa 1985 Slayer show.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:58 pm 

Missing Onslaught's latest tour is something I regret, and the Destroyer 666 tour from last year as well as the Overkill, God Dethroned, and Vader lineup make me want to crawl into a hole and die :ugh:

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

burning_pyre
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:12 pm 

i would have loved to see black sabbath with ozzy osbourne back on vocals at download festival 2012.....OH WAIT I DID!! it feels good to say that, i apologise, but in all seriousness i would have loved to have gone and seen cannibal corpse when the came to camden underworld a few years back. would have been brutallica indeed.

Custom Original artwork/ Logo/ layout designs for bands/ labels etc. Message me on here of my page if interested...

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:17 pm 

I've seen Cannibal Corpse. It was nice to see them live but they are one of those bands that there is really no reason to go out of your way to see again.

Starwind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:28 pm 

I don't normally think of shows that happened before I got into metal (or was born/old enough to go to in some of these cases) but I have to admit that both the Day of Death and the Day of Darkness look excruciatingly appetizing. (That feel when you will never see Shadows of the Past-era Sentenced live...) Adding to these "couldn't have happened anyways" shows is the original Grindcrusher tour. Bolt Thrower, Carcass, Napalm Death and Morbid Angel in their primes? Jesus fuck. The American leg was also good- Napalm Death, Godflesh and Nocturnus.

As for ones I technically could've seen... this'll hurt:

-That Metal Masters tour a few years back was just a bit too rich for my blood at the time. Glen Drover used to be my guitar teacher, and I never got to see him in Megadeth. Dio died shortly after that tour and I never got to see him in any band. Priest is over the hill and probably breaking up soon (I haven't been keeping up with them since they announced that "farewell tour", so I don't know if it's true or not) and they're another classic I need to scratch off my list. So lots of hurt missing that one.

-Maryland Deathfest 2009. This is the one that put the festival on my radar. BOLT. THROWER. Asphyx, Hail of Bullets, Rotten Sound, Mayhem, Napalm Death, Brutal Truth. The show coincided with my high school prom, and even if it hadn't, I doubt I'd have been prepared to journey from Toronto to Baltimore and get a hotel room/festival tickets and budget it so I didn't go hungry. High schoolers are a useless lot.

-The travel cost made this one an impossibility as a student, but I'm still bitter I missed Boltfest. Bolt Thrower, Benediction and Autopsy.

Arise212
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:09 pm 

I was going to go see Ronnie James Dio & Iron Maiden back in 2003, but for some dumb reason I decided not too. I never really got around to seeing Dio live, and now its too late.

However I did see Pantera on their last tour in 2001, so that was good.

Incantation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:45 pm 

I wanted to see Jon Oliva's Pain w/ Circle II Circle, Manticora and Division at Jaxx awhile back (Oct 10th 2008). But at the time I was not 21 and it was a 21 and older show.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:53 pm 

I would have loved to see the Gamma Ray/Helloween/Manticora tour about half a decade back. Unfortunately, Kai Hansen is under the impression that Toronto is some zombie-infested wasteland or something and they never stopped here.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:20 pm 

In 2006, Opeth toured with Dark Tranquillity and Devin Townsend Band. I wasn't as into DTB at the time, but Dark Tranquillity had just released Character and Opeth were becoming my favorite band ever. For someone who was just getting into metal at the time, that one was painful to miss.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:03 pm 

I regret missing the "Friends of Hell" tour with Reverend Bizarre, Minotauri and Spiritus Mortis back in the early 00's. That would have been awesome to behold. Also I never got to see Minotauri live so that's another reason.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:04 pm 

Pain Of Salvation's BE stage production
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

tronics
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:04 am 

Pete Sandoval's drum check.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:10 am 

I really wish I would've gotten to see Emperor during their final tour in '06 - '07. But I wasn't into real metal at the time, and therefore didn't know of their existence. A goddamn shame.

What I wouldn't give to see Emperor live...

maxxpower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:13 am 

Nothing too important, but I did miss an Amon Amarth concert a few years ago that I could have easily attended. They haven't played in my city since.

todesengel89
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:48 am 

Heaven and Hell/Megadeth in 2007. didnt care much about Megadeth but i thought there was no way Heaven and Hell weren't coming back to singapore again, but shit happened... RIP RJD \m/
Heavy Metal Tribune #007 feat. Paradise Lost, Rogga Johansson, Riti Occulti, Antin Graham & Nepente!

skwid79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:14 am 

Megadeth/Testament were in Milwaukee a few months ago I feel like a dumbass for not going.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:32 pm 

One I know I am gonna miss but really wish I didn't have to is Dead Congregation, Grave Miasma, and Anhedonist. Fuck.

Tranquillian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:30 pm 

Helloween on their Keepers 2 tour opening for Maiden on their 7th son tour (I think I got the albums right) in 1988.
Morbid Angel/At The Gates/Dissection Us tour 1996.
Thrash of the Titans in '90.

In Flames/Dark Tranquillity/Sentenced in 1999 <- I did see this gig :)

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:34 pm 

Sabbaton came through a couple months ago. All reports were that they absolutely slayed and the crowd ate it up, but that was just a couple days after I broke my arm and I was zorged out on opiates.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:43 pm 

Let's see. In early 2001 there was a concert in a nearby city featuring Nunslaughter, Centinex and Inquisition, and I did not go because at the time, I DID NOT KNOW ANY OF THE BANDS!! I think back to it now and just feel like punching myself in the face.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:48 pm 

I've merged the thread with a recent one with the same subject, that's why it's now 3 pages long.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

ApparatusUnearth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:02 pm 

Between the Buried and Me when they were on tour in support of The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues. Was all set to go with my dad, and he decided to not go (for a good personal reason).

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next