Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:36 am 

I missed Heaven and Hell with Dio and it is one of my life's great regrets.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:03 am 

Heaven & Hell came to Connecticut in late 09, early 10 (I forget when exactly). I didn't go. Then a few months later Dio died.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:15 pm 

Missed Negative Plane last year. I also missed Arcturus some years ago but I was quite new in metal in that time and I hopefully will catch them this year on Brutal Assault open air.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:26 pm 

This whole thread is too painful. I won't be going over the ones I missed.

Too painful, too painful....

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:28 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
This whole thread is too painful. I won't be going over the ones I missed.

Too painful, too painful....

What's that, the Judas Priest tour in support of Sad Wings of Destiny? Timeghoul?

Last edited by hakarl on Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:49 pm 

I've missed too many to count; the most notable ones that I've wanted to go to in recent memory but missed were Mastodon and Hank 3. I did manage to see Anthrax when they came to Indy earlier this year, but I missed seeing Testament and Death Angel. It was still an awesome show but ultimately a little pointless when considering how they'll be back around here for Mayhem Fest...

leatherandtrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:54 pm 

As many shows as I do make it to, I always feel like the most important ones are the ones I've had to skip for one reason or another. 3 or 4 specific shows come to mind, the most unfortunate being the Carcass reunion with Aborted, Suffocation, 1349 and Rotten FUCKING Sound. Also the time I missed Triptykon, 1349 and Yakuza makes me sick to think about. Finally the one I really resent myself for was when Cannibal Corpse, Dying Fetus, Vital Remains and Devourment, that was just down the street from me. I actually considered selling my plasma to go.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:06 pm 

There are loads of awesome bands I've had to miss for a multitude of reasons but the only one I regret was missing Dio live a few months before his death. I didn't have much money and no one to go with so I gave it a miss. He practically tours over here every year so I thought it was no big deal, plus Heaven and Hell was announced at Bloodstock so I thought that would compensate. Obviously not. I could have lent the money easy, and should have just went by myself. I wasn't far to travel and I've been to plenty of gig in the past on my own. I never thought that would happen though. It does suck, but what can you do? Shit happens I suppose.

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:26 pm 

Whining over missed concerts is lame. As if bands were that important. They're just a sideshow to your own life really.

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:51 am 

I just got into Sleep and they're playing in Dublin at the end of May. Gonna miss it because my college exams will still be on! I missed Roger Waters when he was touring the wall last year because of the same reason... why couldn't they just be playing a week later?

TheEerieTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:30 am 

Living in South Africa means that we get so very few bands, especially Metal ones EVER come through here. I've caught all the big ones that have, like Napalm Death and Carcass in the 90's, and I toured with Entombed and The Haunted as my band was opening for them when they were both here. I do have one of these "I wish I coulda made it" stories coming up this very weekend though - Fleshgod Apocalypse are playing, and I'm broker than a broke person from Brokeville.

My band are playing Wacken in August - I intend to drink many espresso's and stay awake to watch every one of my bands that are playing. Which unfortunately is most of them :)

syx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:19 am 

I have been lucky enough to see lots of the bands I have wanted to. The 3 I have been kicking myself over are:

Emperor - when they played their last ever UK show, my boss wouldn't let me take time off.

My Dying Bride - when they played with Paradise Lost and Anathema a few years back my mate had bought me a ticket to the Nile and Belphegor gig (which was still awesome, just wish I had been at the MDB show!!).

Carpathian Forest - when they played with Decapitated, once again boss wouldn't give me time off for it!

Most of the bands I have missed at one time or another I have seen it is these three that really pain me to have missed.

Ina_Dingir_Xul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:15 am 

I missed Marduk and Impiety because I did not meet the age requirements. I was out of the country when the former came, anyway.

I missed Obscura and Toxic Holocaust last year (both played at the same show) because I was preparing for examinations. I missed Iron Maiden last year too, but for no particular reason. Obscura particularly hurt, but I managed to see Morbid Angel earlier that year.

I missed Judas Priest this year on their first and last time here, and I will most likely miss Nile, Psycroptic and Suffocation (all 3 will be playing at the same show). :fuck:

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:03 am 

I missed the Dimmu show where they played EDT all the way through =[

syx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:31 am 

Folkemon_ wrote:

I saw the gig in Colchester and it was brilliant, one of the best time I have seen them actually!

MercyfulKing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:21 pm 

I missed Saxon, Metal Church, Anvil, and Overkill back in 09 @ Rocklahoma. Im still furious that i had to miss out on that because that was only good thing out of that Festival's existence.

Vipunen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:39 pm 

Pagan Altar in 2010.

I was broke. :annoyed:

brain hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:17 pm 

I've got two that always KILL me to think about:

1. I was going to see Bolt Thrower & Benediction in 1994 - Club Toast, Burlington Vermont - with local opening band Colorblind. FUCKING BOLT THROWER!!! Drove up an hour to the show, only to find out it was cancelled. Both bands were in town too, multiple people saw them milling about earlier. Apparently the money wasn't right, so they bolted. In a cruel twist of fate, my friends and I went to see AIRHEADS in the theater instead. Talk about a shitty night.

2. Same club, the following year...the show? Brutal Truth, Acid Bath, and Pungent Stench! I don't remember who the local opening band was supposed to be. Same deal, drove up to see the show only to find an empty club. I have since seen Brutal Truth, but I'm always bummed I missed my chance to see Acid Bath.

I also missed a perfect chance to see Nile play in a tiny club on a Thursday night, because I had to work early the following morning. Turns out that only two bands played, and the show ended by like 10pm. I would have plenty of time to see the show and then drive back home. Not as big of a bummer as the other two, but it still would have been a cool show to see.

EDIT: one more came to mind. I had the chance to go the Lollapalooza (sp?) tour headlined by Metallica, and I decided not to go because I would rather work all day in a grocery store. An odd decision, but at the time it made sense. Metallica suck...but this cost me my only chance to see The Ramones, which I regret.

KE3useer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:44 pm 

I missed At the Gates on their final US tour :(. Hopefully they decide to come back instead of just dicking around in Europe.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:50 pm 

nile, krisiun, morbid angel [seen them before], grave [?] napalm death [seen them before] suffocation...
i swore to myself a year or so ago that i wouldn't miss any more big bands playing here!

:durr: :violin:

Harlequin_Fetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:39 am 

I will be missing Sleep when they're playing in Dublin this May. Just when I got into them.

Missed Roger Waters last May when he was touring The Wall.

Its because of my college exams... if these gigs were a week later it'd all be grand... Shit!!!!!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:42 am 

Folkemon_ wrote:

When did this happen?
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Grapist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:11 pm 

God, I just thought of one. My friend Colin and I got into Municipal Waste in high school, then I found out about their main influence, D.R.I. I thought,"Colin will like this." He ATE THEM UP, and they're his favorite thrash band now. He recently got to see them on their 30th anniversary, in their HOME TOWN.

Last edited by Grapist on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghetsis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:08 pm 

Korpiklaani with Arkona this past winter and probably Paganfest in a few days.

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:23 pm 

-I had to choose between Cynic and Mayhem one night and I really wanted to see Mayhem as they're one of my favourite BM bands but their touring schedule is a lot more consistent then Cynic's so I opted for Cynic, in the end I show up at the venue and I forgot my god damn ID.

-Missed Pagan Fest(most painfully Arkona) cos my parents had borrowed all my money for THAT NIGHT and I hadn't gotten a ticket yet

-Lived in South Africa so I missed god damn every awesome concert that came through that my friends went to Gigantour x2, Melvins/Boris, Iron Maiden/Dream Theater.

-Nevermore before they broke up, figured I'd catch them next time...

Maulgraun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:09 am 

I was going to see Marduk and Toxic Holocaust but they cancelled.

Kusala
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:22 pm 

I bought a ticket to Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and then completely forgot about the show until it was too late. On a non-metal note, I had a ticket to see Robert Schimmel, but a blizzard kept me from being able to go. My friend managed to go and got a DVD signed for me. Then Schimmel died in a car crash before I got a chance to see him again. Alas.

Awhile ago there was a great tour consisting of Immolation, Suffocation, Vader, Aborted and possibly Cryptopsy, which I missed entirely. Of those bands, I've only managed to see Immolation since then.

Ericfg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:02 pm 

Missed Godsmack yesterday. I like them the most, by far, out of the nu-metal scene and would really like to have seen them live.
But not only did I just forget about it I'm just too exhausted from work to have enjoyed it in all probability. Not to mention two fuckers from work went and didn't remind me about it. Plus one of them shows up at work today three hours late....
I'm not going to lose any sleep over it though.
Cheers!

Leo_S
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:04 pm 

Going very old school with this one...

Had a chance to see Candlemass on the Tales Of Creation tour @ GWillikers in
Pensauken NJ (awesome dive metal club that everyone played back in the day). And here's
the kicker...Atheist opened. One of Roger Patterson's last shows. RIP

Oh and the reason I didn't get there? Didn't feel like going by myself, so I hung out with my girlfriend instead....

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:02 pm 

I missed Mad Season in Seattle by choosing to do something else. I had never seen them and had only seen Alice In Chains (w/ Layne) once. It ended up being one of their last shows ever due to the subsequent death of Layne Staley. :( That's the one that really sticks out to me the most.

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:24 am 

I still find it sad that I missed Negura Bunget in 2007 with their old line-up. I saw them in 2010 or so with Enslaved but I assume it would have been so much better with the old members.

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:47 pm 

King Diamond and Candlemass with Messiah on vocals in 2007. Wondering if there's a second chance...
Grave in 2008. I don't know if they will play again in Russia...
Heaven and Hell in 2009. How can I did that?
Dismember in 2006 too, but I did not really missed them, just didn't know about them at the time.

Morfiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:46 am 

Misfit74 wrote:
I missed Mad Season in Seattle by choosing to do something else. I had never seen them and had only seen Alice In Chains (w/ Layne) once. It ended up being one of their last shows ever due to the subsequent death of Layne Staley. :( That's the one that really sticks out to me the most.

Was that the show at The Moore that was recorded for video?

Webstore: http://www.lastrightsrecords.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Last-Righ ... 657?ref=ts

New Arrivals: Titles from Cynic, Superjoint Ritual, Dimmu Borgir, Athiest, Opeth, Testament and many more!

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:07 am 

I try to catch as many concerts as possible, but over the last few years, i've regretted not going to these

- Sodom
- Woods of Ypres
- Decapitated (original band)
- Ahab

my last.fm

Warlocks_amulet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:24 pm 

Missed;
Dio, a few months before his death ..this is my greatest regret. He was and still is my musical idol.
Missed Amon Amarth because I forgot ..like wtf?
Missed Full of Hate awhile back because I was broke... (fml)

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:42 pm 

Missed Overkill at Wacken 2007 because I got so drunk during the day that I fell asleep about 6pm. Woke up at midnight only to find that all the bands had stopped playing - ended up going to the party tent they have there and cheersing the fat dude from Moonsorrow, then picked up the only chick in the place. Cool story, huh. I think I have seen Overkill some other time, but it's one of those hazy drunk memories.

Also @ Wacken 07 I only watched a little bit of Type O Negative's set - they were pretty bad, and there was this bunch of hot swedish chicks camped near us that had a generator, endless amounts of this danish beer called bjørn brygg (i think? 8% or so) and a heap of tressle tables lined up. I regret this so fucking much now. I remember at the time everyone complained about how drunk Peter Steele was, but I'd give my left nut to go back and watch the entire show.

Also missed Morbid Angel at Metalcamp in 2008 because I spent the first 6 days drinking in the river (it was fucking awesome, I didn't even really bother with the festival) and I didn't eat for at least 3 or 4 of those days, just drank beer and river water. MA were playing on the last day and that was the first day I didn't just hit the beers as soon as I woke up... by lunchtime I was so sick I couldn't get up, and I heard MA playing from my tent. I remember thinking "david vincent... he's so cool... we'll get to see them again, don't worry..." then passed back out. Still haven't seen them 4 years later.

Also missed my chance to see Def Leppard and Whitesnake - both bands were playing at the Manowar festival in 2008 so I didn't go and see their local shows when they came to Sydney, thinking there was no point to doubling up. Then they cancelled their appearances at the festival, and I spent the entire time at the local swimming pool anyway (yeah, I missed HolyHell and the rest of the magic circle roster :( ). Both bands are probably so decrepit and terrible by this point, it's not even worth it any more.

Warlocks_amulet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:59 pm 

Turner wrote:
Also missed my chance to see Def Leppard and Whitesnake - both bands were playing at the Manowar festival in 2008 so I didn't go and see their local shows when they came to Sydney, thinking there was no point to doubling up. Then they cancelled their appearances at the festival, and I spent the entire time at the local swimming pool anyway (yeah, I missed HolyHell and the rest of the magic circle roster :( ). Both bands are probably so decrepit and terrible by this point, it's not even worth it any more.

Atleast you've been to Wacken.
I'm going next year if I have to sell my left fucking nut. lol

Def Leppard is awesome live, it's a shame you missed them.

Add;
I missed Sodom, Accept, Immortal, Helloween earlier ..October I think? Some festival, had no cash and noone to go with. >.<

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:03 pm 

Morfiend wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:

Was that the show at The Moore that was recorded for video?

Yes.

Watching the video was cool, but made me regret missing that show even more on one side of it and glad at least get to see the video on the other. I mean, what a show I missed!

BottomFeeder1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:11 am 

Nifelheim with the chasm in Chicago missed it by one hour. Got to party with them a bit after.... Devastating

Blood Music
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:55 am 

Sadly, a ton of awesome metal bands come through Helsinki, but the price is often dear. The amount of bands I've missed that I would've seen (Arcturus, etc.) numbers quite high. It becomes kinda the opposite... who's coming through and will charge a reasonable rate? Last one to do that was Esoteric, and that concert was fucking incredible!

One stands out here though... I went to go see Neurosis a few years back. Pulled up outside the gig. Stood there, waited. Eventually left before going inside. Why? I don't know. I saw them in the mid to late 90's and it was one of the best concerts of my life. That was also the high period of their recording stage IMHO (Enemy of the Sun/Through Silver In Blood). I kinda didn't wanna tarnish that experience and didn't allow myself inside. That one I won't ever live down... A true "what if?" moment.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next