Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ThomasBear
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:54 pm 

This is my first thread so play nice ;)

Who doesn't love a true story about an underdog who overcomes adversity and goes on to do great things?

I'd really like to know of more 'famous' metal and rock musicians who at various times were faced with personal adversity, overcame it, proved everyone wrong and went on to do great things and rock the hell out.

I can think of two obvious examples: Tony Iommi, who lost part of two fingers, was told he'd never play guitar again, and went on to do Black Sabbath; and Def Leppard's Rick Allen, who lost an arm and got right back to drumming. I can think of maybe one or two less famous examples but you get the idea.

I'd really like to know of more true stories of this nature. You know the sort I mean - guys who were told they wouldn't make it so after a long and prolonged struggle (poverty, record label apathy, injury, sabotage, etc.) they turned around and told the man to eat a dick, and can now take credit for something great (influential band or sound, big selling album, etc.).

Doesn't matter if they're well known bands or not quite so well known - as long as the end result is something about which they could say "we showed 'em".

Cheers

ThomasBear
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:03 am 

Hmmm... I think I've partially answered my own question in bits of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96868

Ceald Hraew
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:50 am 

Klaus Meine, Scorpions’ vocalist. He lost his voice, was told to get another job but eventually recovered and started singing again.

Foul n Filthy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:02 pm 

Def Leppard - Drummer (Rick Allen) loses his ARM in a car accident and they come back and become rich and famous, albeit playing cheesed-down pop-rock. They also lost their two original guitarists: Pete Willis was kicked out for hitting the sauce too heavy right before their 3rd album came out and 'Steamin' Steve Clark apparently drank himself to death years later.

Tony Iommi of Sabbath lost the tips of two or three fingers working with tin but relearned to play his guitar with ultra thin strings (banjo strings I read somewhere).

There's a couple that beat the odds I think.

Metantoine
Big Beautiful Famgot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:18 pm 

Foul n Filthy wrote:
Def Leppard - Drummer (Rick Allen) loses his ARM in a car accident and they come back and become rich and famous, albeit playing cheesed-down pop-rock. They also lost their two original guitarists: Pete Willis was kicked out for hitting the sauce too heavy right before their 3rd album came out and 'Steamin' Steve Clark apparently drank himself to death years later.

Tony Iommi of Sabbath lost the tips of two or three fingers working with tin but relearned to play his guitar with ultra thin strings (banjo strings I read somewhere).

There's a couple that beat the odds I think.

I know you're new here, but come on! Read the first post...

My contribution: Nergal, the Saku Koivu of metal.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Halberd

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:17 pm 

Decapitated - terrible tour accident that killed their drummer Vitek and left their vocalist Covan seriously injured.

It was all up to Vogg to continue the band, eventually recording a new album and doing a world tour. I got to see them on that tour, they put on a decent show!

A local musician named Mickey Thompson is probably going to give Def Leppard a run for their money, sort of speak. He played bass and also drums for various bands, mostly known for Orangutang - thrash/punk crossover band (not sure if they'd be metal enough for MA but that doesn't matter for now). Well, he was in a rather rough accident a few months ago and lost his left arm. He's now learning to play bass by fretting with his right hand and mostly just hammering the bass. He mentioned probably getting a prosthetic to help him strum but he lost his arm above the elbow so he can't quite use his elbow to assist in strumming. He is able to perform drums and did a short set at a recent show for another band/side project called Terminate This.

2012 has been the year of benefit shows, and it seems there's a couple already for 2013. But in most of those cases, those benefit shows involved people who either died or were still in the hospital. Mickey Thompson performed two sets at his own benefit show - one on drums and one on just vocals.

He's also approached the whole situation with a good sense of humor, being thankful that his masturbatin' arm wasn't the one taken off.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell
RIP DIO

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:19 pm 

Not exactly the same as these others, but Stratovarius, at the time when I got into metal, were basically the butt of a big joke. Timo Tolkki was insane, they hadn't written a full good album in like 8 years or something, and all you heard about them was awful embarrassing drama and whining. They broke up like twice, and the second time it was like 'phew, good riddance before they embarrass themselves any more.' When Polaris was announced, pretty much nobody was really looking forward to it before we actually heard the single. And it was all uphill from there as they are now one of the best bands in the business today.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:35 pm 

Therion comes to mind. They and Rush are similar in the sense that their "fizzle out and die" album ended up being a massive success.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:12 pm 

Testament should count, I guess. Besides the revolving door of members who left the band to get a shot on 'bigger' ones among other reasons, Chuck Billy overcomed a cancer near his heart not only to recover but to be even in better shape than ever vocally speaking. Also, Peterson broke his leg falling from a plane's stair once.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:44 pm 

Alice in Chains. A ton of bands lose their vocalist one way or another, but Layne foreshadowed his own death for years beforehand. Then AiC came back after a 13 year hiatus and released my 2nd favorite album by them, as well as putting out their 5th this May

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:54 pm 

Church13 wrote:
Alice in Chains. A ton of bands lose their vocalist one way or another, but Layne foreshadowed his own death for years beforehand. Then AiC came back after a 13 year hiatus and released my 2nd favorite album by them, as well as putting out their 5th this May

I agree with this.

Stratovarius? I mean, yeah the last few with Timo were horrible, but to claim that with the past couple of mediocre efforts they're the best in the business? I beg to differ, sir!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:57 pm 

They are. The last three albums (Polaris, Elysium, Nemesis) are all really fresh sounding, well written and well rounded albums.

soulonfire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:32 pm 

AC/DC losing Bon Scott and then becoming one of the biggest bands ever with Brian Johnson.
On a smaller scale, George Call of Aska/Banshee having throat cancer and coming back with a better range than he had before.

Use Baloo and calypso music.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:14 pm 

Helloween. They lost Hansen, Kiske, and Swichtenberg, and despite putting out two almost career-ending albums, managed to release some fantastic records in the 90s, dropped off a bit around the time of Rabbit Don't Come Easy, but have put out a few great albums recently.

HydroDrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:29 pm 

Meshuggah i guess. Fredrik Thordendal chopped the tip of his finger off, Tomas Haake caught his hand in a lathe (or some piece of machinery) and he's had his share of back problems. But they've gone on to be pretty successful. They're bigger now than i ever thought they would be.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:19 pm 

Ben Falgoust and his bad accident he had a while back. He apparently still feels the effects of it today, though. Poor dude :/

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:21 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
Therion comes to mind. They and Rush are similar in the sense that their "fizzle out and die" album ended up being a massive success.

Out of curiosity, which albums were you referring to for each band? I'd have to imagine it was either Gothic Kabbalah or Sitra Ahra for Therion since those are really their only two "weak" albums.

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

Terri23
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:59 pm 

Dave Mustaine comes to mind. When he was 17, he was a drug dealer, alcoholic and addict. His first band, Panic, was decimated after their first show show, when 2 of the members were killed in a car crash. He still ventured on and soon joined Metallica, and the rest is history.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

logan6511
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:23 pm 

Anvil comes to mind, they were the ONLY band from that 1984 Japanese metal festival ( Anvil, Scorpions, MSG, Bon Jovi, Whitesnakes) that did NOT make it big time. After decades of playing small venues and on the brink of a break up, the movie changed their luck around and gave them a somewhat decent career.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:31 am 

Apparently Spike from DRI had colon cancer in 2006 and it returned last year.

I'm going to go see them next weekend. I'll tell you guys about it after I get back, if my neck isn't thrashed all to hell.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell
RIP DIO

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:50 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
CF_Mono wrote:

Out of curiosity, which albums were you referring to for each band? I'd have to imagine it was either Gothic Kabbalah or Sitra Ahra for Therion since those are really their only two "weak" albums.

I couldn't tell you which Therion album but I believe the Rush album he is referring to is 2112.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:55 am 

Empyreal wrote:
(Stratovarius) was all uphill from there as they are now one of the best bands in the business today.

:ugh: :lol: :scratch: :nono: :o

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:53 am 

Post Timo Stratovarius is pretty good. You know, for Euro power, but they do it better than all the other Euro PM.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:02 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I couldn't tell you which Therion album but I believe the Rush album he is referring to is 2112.

Theli was supposed to be the band's last recorded album because sales were going way too bad. And then there was light! ;)

"Therion doubted that Theli would sell. Chris spoke to Piotr about it and said that this would be the final record, as it would be a flop just as every other Therion release. Piotr didn't want this to be the last record, but did accept the situation and started studying history instead."

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:45 am 

Veracs wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
(Stratovarius) was all uphill from there as they are now one of the best bands in the business today.

:ugh: :lol: :scratch: :nono: :o

Heh, they are dividing albums with as much worshippers as people who claim they are releasing the same crap they released before the whining started. I like them a lot, but I won't claim that they are the best there's out there in power metal. But yeah, at least the drama stopped.

Itheus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:55 am 

logan6511 wrote:
Anvil comes to mind, they were the ONLY band from that 1984 Japanese metal festival ( Anvil, Scorpions, MSG, Bon Jovi, Whitesnakes) that did NOT make it big time. After decades of playing small venues and on the brink of a break up, the movie changed their luck around and gave them a somewhat decent career.

As a loveer of documentaries, was here to mention the same.

I would also submit Pentagram's "Last Rites". If you watch the documentary "Last Days Here", which I would highly recommend, you will see how close that album was to not coming out.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:01 am 

Re, Stratovarius: If it were ten years ago they would be good albums but not stand outs among the pack (as that was the golden age for power metal) - today while a lot of other bands are either fading or simply broken up, they really are some of the best around for their style, and they sound extremely energized and vital. I can't really think of many that do it better. I just love how serious in intent their recent albums are, with no bullshit at all; just intense, thought provoking power metal.

Last edited by Empyreal on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:02 pm 

I would love to say Gorgoroth, but obviosly several poor decisions in the last couple of years make me more than slightly hesitant.

Infernus at least proved himself to be wholly able to write music in the vein of classic Gorgoroth material. Unfortunately, Tomas Asklund hinders the album greatly (he was the drummer and producer on Quantos Possunt, both being the absolute worst aspects of the album). That they re-recorded Under the Sign of Hell is also indicative of some degree of confusion or complete uninspiredness. Anyhow, after more than ten years of inability to write anything for Gorgorth, Infernus showed that he was able to write quality music again, and the idiocy with Gaahl and Ov Hell finally ended.

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:58 pm 

I feel like Jason Becker should be mentioned on here. I guess he isnt a band but he keeps writing music even though he has ALS

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:18 pm 

Hell would be a band worth mentioning. They were a real cult band back in their day, and were pretty original for their time. Then after the record deal fell through (?) and the singer killed himself, they fell apart - only to be resurrected a few years ago and put out an amazing album.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:27 pm 

Demonez of Immortal I would say just because he never gave up when he couldnt play guitar again.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:31 am 

Voïvod.. getting their first record deal through mail order (Metal Massacre compilation contribution, then Metal Blade paid them for 1000$ for recording War and Pain); had a hard time getting a better deal because Metal Blade threatened to sue. Decided to sing in English while they didn't quite know the language and were treated as a weird curiosity in their own country as there was no thrash metal scene then (only in Toronto; the Montréal thrash scene didn't take off until the late-mid-80s). Then in the mid-late 80s, their guitarist Piggy gets some form of cancer, for which he is treated and recovers. In 1998, their singer/bassist E-Force, who replaced Snake and Blacky, was seriously injured in a tour bus accident in Germany (the bus actually caught on fire). He then fell in a coma and had to work very hard to recover his faculties. They soldiered on; Jasonic helped at first for a few live dates, then E-Force was back. The original singer Snake came back in 2001, so E-Force was let go (replaced by Jasonic then Blacky), but in 2005, their guitarist, Piggy, dies from cancer. Still they found a very fitting replacement in Chewy.

All in all their "cult" status is widely known and spread today. They play prestigious festivals, and several metal bands and musicians these days acknowledge their influence. War and Pain was re-released in 2004 and I assume this time around they're getting some royalties.

juusokult
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:44 am 

Proscriptor McGovern of Absu fell of ladders and landed straight on his wrists, and the bones shattered to 23 pieces. It was almost certain he couldn't play the drums anymore, but amazingly his wrists healed.

Reply to topic