Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:45 pm 

Quote:
“We had to face the fact that if we want to develop our music and sound we need a producer who has a vision and whom we can accept as an authority,” commented AMORPHIS guitarist and founding member Esa Holopainen. “I know that we’re not the most flexible guys when it comes to letting outsiders into our camp for telling us how to do things. We spent one evening at our management office, talking about the right producer and the recording sessions in general. As usual, the best decisions are not far to seek. We've been talking to Peter about him producing AMORPHIS for ages. I think the first time we spoke about this was when we met first at the Nuclear Blast festival tour in 1994, and it was in Helsinki around a year ago when we last speculated about the idea. We've been following Peter's career - he's developed as a musician and especially as a producer over the years. Plus he's one of the true survivors from the 90's death metal scene who is still around just like us, so we share kind of an old school mental level.”

The recordings are set to take place in the famous premises of Petrax Studio in Hollola (NIGHTWISH, CHILDREN OF BODOM, KORPIKLAANI) and 5K Studios in Helsinki. Esa explains:

“We’ve decided to record in Finland so that Peter can come here to escape to Petrax in the countryside with us, in order to record all the drums plus some additional lines. Later on, we’ll continue in Helsinki at 5K Studios to lay down the rest of the material. The mixing will be done with Peter in the Swedish Abyss Studios. We’ll keep you posted about how the sessions proceed!”

As far as the new material is concerned, Esa’s elation is contagious:

“Over the last couple of weeks we've had some really intense rehearsing for the forthcoming album. Originally we laid down around 20 new songs as demos, now we are proceeding with 14 tracks. I'm really thrilled about the idea to take a major step away from the so-called routines that we've had with our last records. While promoting The Beginning Of Times we started to feel that we were giving the same explanations over and over again when people asked about the studio process and how the songs came about. Even though the music was very strong, the making process didn’t offer any surprises and appeared to be quite secured. Now the addition of a new dimension to the developing process has inspired us to focus on our material even more. The songs are extremely strong, bombastic and skull-pummelling. Though it’s too early for a statement like this, I’d already love to say that we’ve created the best AMORPHIS album ever. We’ll do our best!”

Amorphis march on! It really doesn't feel like The Beginning of Times was that long ago, but if this new one comes out in March or April, it will have just about been two years. I can't wait, seeing as I'm an Amorphis fanboy, but what do you guys think? It's really interesting that they're bringing in Peter to help them record, since Amorphis have a long history of self-recording their material, but I think this might be a good idea. I'm perfectly ok with the consistency they've had going on the past four albums, but it is time to spice things up a little bit. I know Peter's a controversial producer in the extreme metal world, and I was a bit taken aback when I first saw his name in this statement, but I can actually see him and Amorphis being a great fit. I'm hoping he inspires a bit more of an aggressive edge within them, because a bit more heaviness would be a very welcome addition, and I'm confident he can't fudge things up too badly because Amorphis are apparently quite controlling in the studio. Anyway, lend your thoughts and opinions! Looking forward to more info.

Last edited by Razakel on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:03 pm 

Indeed, here's to hoping that they will finally put out something that can be told apart from the last couple of albums. I stopped bothering after Skyforger was, again, more of the same - I found it particularly strange coming from a band so well known for its ever changing nature and diversity of talent. That, and music in their Joutsen-era vein ceased appealing to me altogether.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:45 pm 

i agree entirely. They really got stagnant...
I hope for a breath of fresh air.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:48 pm 

Well i think they really found the perfect balance of their old death/doom and they're new melodic rock/metal, thats probably why they arent eager to change it up.

FantomLord17
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:15 pm 

Folkemon_ wrote:
Well i think they really found the perfect balance of their old death/doom and they're new melodic rock/metal, thats probably why they arent eager to change it up.

I don't hear any doom in their new albums, though some death metal is undeniably there. Still, it would be cool if they shakeup their songwriting a bit, because while their new albums are awesome they are also too similar. It's four albums of the same formula already. Hopefully Peter will help them give the new album some extra spice.

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:33 am 

I am excited for this for some reason. I dunno what it is, but when I saw Amorphis live this year, they seemed to have the best time playing their early 90s tunes, or so it felt to me. Not that I am expecting another Privilege of Evil or anything, but I feel like they have gotten kind of stagnant with their style for the past album or two, so it's fresh news in a way to see them put it like that. I really like Eclipse as a whole, it's one of their best, but ever since that, I feel like they have gotten less exciting with each Joutsen-album (up to Skyforger being "okay").

Bring on some more crushing material!

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:53 am 

Mixing in the Abyss studio means a sharp bite to the guitars. I'm pumped to hear something like that mixed with Amorphis' sound. They've been on a streak of no bombs since Joutsen, but something like this is needed to really put that band name to the test.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:48 am 

FantomLord17 wrote:
Folkemon_ wrote:

I don't hear any doom in their new albums, though some death metal is undeniably there. Still, it would be cool if they shakeup their songwriting a bit, because while their new albums are awesome they are also too similar. It's four albums of the same formula already. Hopefully Peter will help them give the new album some extra spice.

Songs like Alone and Divinity work incredibly well live aswell. It's the recent, samey stuff that blends into a mass of uninspired, unmemorable, catchy mass.

Mimogrede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:56 pm 

I think that the changing of styles on their earlyer albums was present due to them trying to find what they want to play, or becouse each band member wanted something different and after a while they found the sound they were looking for and that everyone was okay with. I think their present style and sound (not really inovative, but hey) is working for them really well and if they will continue in the same direction I will be liking it. But perhaps they will surprise us and do what they are known for - morph into another style and expand the sound even more.

Blizk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:49 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I stopped bothering after Skyforger was, again, more of the same - I found it particularly strange coming from a band so well known for its ever changing nature and diversity of talent.

It's because the constant line-up changes are history. Esa once said in an interview that each line-up change pretty much brought style changes, alongside the guitarists' interests drifting away from death metal in the late 90s. They've also finally been able to hit the cash after that Relapse rip-off. I don't mean they sold out or anything, that's just how Finland seems to like their metal :P

I agree though that something interesting needs to start happening if they want to maintain quality. Joutsen era Amorphis is some of my favourite music of all time, but while The Beginning of Times is solid there's a couple of so-so tracks in there. Hiring Tägtgren is a welcomed change.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:07 am 

I hope they make some agressive songs, the last album sounded too happy to me.

MMM88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:31 pm 

Silent Waters was excellent, and I still think its much better than Eclipse. The rest of their recent stuff, as many pointed out so far, was pretty much same old same old.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:54 pm 

Here's the first studio report (apparently filmed just two days ago): http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUoxg ... r_embedded

The first half is basically shenanigans (hookah in the studio? nice) but the song they bust into and jam out in the second half sounds really awesome! Looking forward to hearing that on the album, and it seems they'll be updating us quite regularly.

Rotting_Christ_Mike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:28 am 

^ sounds good, I'm eager to hear more!

Putridsight
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:40 pm 

Magic & Mayhem kinda proved that they could still pull off some doom/death even though it doesn't come close to originals. They should try to bring back folk influences and those beautiful melodies.

Blizk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:29 am 

Putridsight wrote:
Magic & Mayhem kinda proved that they could still pull off some doom/death even though it doesn't come close to originals. They should try to bring back folk influences and those beautiful melodies.

Looks exactly like you'd be describing their latest studio effort, to my eyes :D Not that the folk was ever gone from the Joutsen era albums.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:17 pm 

So we've finally gotten another update! Here's some stuff about the concept:

Quote:
"The protagonist has been dealt a bad hand at birth. He’s always felt himself an outsider with strong potential to become marginalized. Through an accident, after a crisis, he finds a connection with his inner powers. A guide is sent to him, from some other time and place. He gets a chance to take hold of his own life and change his destiny. From the past of Carelian Finland he finds his own spiritual tribe and the power to turn the course of his doomed life. This is a story of survival."

AMORPHIS singer Tomi Joutsen adds about the album title: "'Circle' represents integrity. Back in the days, when there was something special to talk about, wise men used to sit in circle. Not everyone was invited to join them. But in this story, the protagonist was invited among the wise men's circle."

Circle is definitely a pretty simple title, but I think it's nice. I know that Tomi Joutsen said that Travis Smith won't be doing the artwork this time, so I'm looking forward to seeing something new in that area. All in all I'm really excited and I wish we didn't have to wait another three months dammit!

xpsychoblissx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:39 pm 

I found them performing "Mehtä"(working title)--a new song from the upcoming album. Can't wait to hear a studio version of it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSlFxJ4qOdc

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:34 pm 

I much prefer recent-era Amorphis, even though I discovered them back in the days with the old stuff.

I am looking forward to the next album and having Tägtgren on board just increases my interest!

And as usual, I don't give a shit what the album is called.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 pm 

They managed to reinvent themselves a few times, which is amazing.

They've managed to come back to their succesful formula with Eclipse and have produced 3 more albums which are all "nice" but are starting to sound similar (especially the 3 last ones). Going back to 90s death metal is not an option. I'm sure wev'e heard enough of their flirt with commercial metal on AM and FFTS and don't want to go back there (it was OK for the time but that kind of music doesn't really have a place).

Thematically speaking, I think they should leave the Kalevala themes alone (after doing albums consecrated to Kullervo, Lemminkäinen, Ilmarinen and Vaïnämöinen successively).

I can't really see where they can go from here. I wish them luck but I'm quite pessimistic. They've had a very good run nevertheless.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:52 pm 

They've been getting redundant. I mean, I love Eclipse and all, as well as Skyforger, but their last one was incredibly meh. I feel like they've pretty much written the same album 4 times over and the style has run its course. I hope the next one brings at least something new to the table.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:20 am 

I'm surprised at the general distaste toward Skyforger; I found that the absolute perfection of their new "melodic style," while Beginning of Time was where they started to get rehashed. Skyforger has a greater focus on the piano and a somewhat more "ethereal" sound, helped along by parts like that amazing choir on the title track, that make it stand out enough from the Joutsen albums in my book to warrant consistent play. BoT on the other hand felt all over the place and never really settled on anything consistent or memorable despite their attempts to use more growling and heavier sections.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:50 am 

After reading the article I feel excited with the new album, I also think that they need to make a change in their sound because their last albums were too similar. Beginning of times was OK but I felt it was a repetition of the previous albums and it was not as good as Skyforger was(awesome pianos) or Silent water, both albums are my favourites.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:37 am 

I found Skyforger to be the weakest of the Tomi-era ones, but I thought "The Beginning of Times" was their best since "Eclipse" (one of my top 5 albums of all time), so I would have no complaint if they stayed with a similar sound. Messing with their formula seems like a recipe for disaster as I can't see them changing to a different style and writing music nearly as good.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:54 pm 

I love everything this band does, but I was a bit disapointed in The begining of Times, not so much the songs but the mix was horrible! The guitars had no balls and you couldn't hear the drums. Looking forward to Circle very much!

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:40 pm 

Reading your posts and thinking about it some more, I can't really remember most songs off "Silent Waters", "Skyforger", "Beginning of Times", though I kept those albums in my mp3 player forever (separately, ~1/2 year after each came out).

I do remember "Weaving the Incantation", which I think really stands out and a cluster of songs that are kind-of multi-parts with some spoken words and acoustic bits, plus a song which is a bit "techno-ish" ("Towards and Against"). Then, from "Skyforger", I remember the title song because it says "I forge" in the chorus, and "Godlike Machine" which is built on a "Children of the Grave" pattern, and also "Separated" because I downloaded it afterwards. Of the last album I remember almost nothing.

Overall, on these three albums, maybe too many ballad-ish songs like "From the Heaven of my Heart", which are not very memorable.

At some point I made a table of all Amorphis songs and where they fit in the Kalevala's many story lines (a version exists here but I since translated it to English and added BotT info: I should post it on this forum), and even despite all that time spent studying the titles and lyrics, it's mostly a blur, those three last albums.

"Eclipse" on the other hand, I know and remember every song.

Blizk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:26 am 

Artwork and tracklist. "Hopeless Days" will be released on March 1 as a digital single and a video for "Nightbird's Song" will be featured on a digibook bonus DVD. "Shades of Gray" seems to be the one they already played live in Finnish shows last month.

1. Shades Of Gray
2. Mission
3. The Wanderer
4. Narrow Path
5. Hopeless Days
6. Nightbird’s Song
7. Into The Abyss
8. Enchanted By The Moon
9. A New Day
10. Dead Man’s Dream (bonus)

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:57 am 

I like the cover a lot, it sets itself apart from the digital artwork of the past few albums. Very cool colour tones.

Master_Debater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:20 pm 

"Into the Abyss" huh?

Amorphis is the band that got me into metal, so I will be checking this out.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:30 pm 

The artwork is indeed something different for Amorphis, which is nice. The only Amorphis cover to feature a humanoid creature on it (well, except for the debut actually), also the only Amorphis album to feature less than 10 tracks. Cannot wait to hear music now!

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:57 pm 

Seems like the beginning of a brand new chapter for the band.. Very good

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:33 am 

Do I sense a touch of doom metal in the song titles and artwork? Should be interesting. To say that I was growing weary of the style established on Eclipse would be a massive understatement. I liked that stuff when it came out, as a breath of fresh air, but its novelty value was fast diminished and its welcome long overstayed.

xpsychoblissx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:11 am 

I like what I've heard from the upcoming album... It really sounds like they made a conscious effort to increase the "aggression" of the music this time around.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:07 pm 

As a long time fan of Amorphis and them being my Fav band I totally aprove this cover. Its modern but yet still sets the band apart from other bands that have sim covers. I love the song titles and the concept of the album itself. Man, April can't get here fast enough!!! I heard that their is going to be many varieties in the vocals and lots of growls which are great as well as the clean singing, would be cool if they add some blackend shrieks as well just for color and atmosphere.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:43 pm 

As a HUGE Amorphis fan I am always excited for their albums, but I agree that The Beginning of Times was a weak album, and the weakest in the Joutsen era.

I really liked both Eclipse and Silent Waters but feel that SIlent Waters is their best album with Joutsen on vocals, Skyforger I think had some good songs but was definitely weaker in quality and BOT even more so.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:58 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Do I sense a touch of doom metal in the song titles and artwork? Should be interesting.

This is precisely what caught my attention. At least aesthetically, the record seem to be aiming for a bleaker and somewhat autumnal direction. Now, while I do like Eclipse and Silent Waters, I also tend to think (like most people here, it seems) that Amorphis has gone a bit too stale with time. This looks like a welcome change, though of course I still need to hear at least a song to give a more concise opinion.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:14 pm 

I should know the answer to this question, but on Elegy did Koivusaari do all the growling vocals and Koskinen do all the clean ones, or did the former do some clean vox and the latter some growling, etc?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:08 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
Do I sense a touch of doom metal in the song titles and artwork? Should be interesting.

This is precisely what caught my attention. At least aesthetically, the record seem to be aiming for a bleaker and somewhat autumnal direction. Now, while I do like Eclipse and Silent Waters, I also tend to think (like most people here, it seems) that Amorphis has gone a bit too stale with time. This looks like a welcome change, though I of course I still need to hear at least a song to give a more concise opinion.

There's a hint of retro-doom psychedelia in the cover art aswell, which, if done well, could sound excellent with Amorphis with all the wah solos and Kingston Wall influences of the past.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:15 pm 

Mmmmmm, you're fairly right about the artwork. In fact, the idea of a hazier, retro-doomy Amorphis sounds very tempting. Of course, it's just that; an idea, but an entertaining one, at least.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:31 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
I should know the answer to this question, but on Elegy did Koivusaari do all the growling vocals and Koskinen do all the clean ones, or did the former do some clean vox and the latter some growling, etc?

Koivusaari did all the harsh vocals on Elegy while Koskinen did the cleans. On Tuonela, however, Koskinen took over all vocals, as Koivusaari wanted to focus on only guitar.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next