Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Catamortal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:50 am 

Hello, guys

I really like documentaries of bands in the studio like Cannibal Corpse's the making of Evisceration Plague and I would love if you could tell me of other such documentaries. I've seen two or three but I'm having a hard time finding others. They don't have to be about a death metal band of course!

Thank you!

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:17 am 

A making-of/interview/performance DVD comes with the new Defeated Sanity album, a good one too!
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:27 am 

ruinside has a short making of up on youtube (in 3 parts) if that counts

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:32 pm 

Sonata Arctica have one for their last album, and you get to see quite a bit of the gear they use and such. To me, that's the interesting part. I want to see how different bands record and mix their music since it's rather useful for a budding mixing engineer/producer like myself.

lost_wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:35 pm 

''Some kind of monster'' by Metallica is a ''really good'' documentary about the making of St. Anger

Dubhar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:54 pm 

The re-release of At the Gates' Slaughter of the Soul album had a pretty cool documentary. It lacks footage from the recording, but features members of the band and the producer looking over the songs, sometimes isolating certain instruments and effects and talking about what they were trying to achieve.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:17 pm 

I actually like these alot as well. They are fun to kinda just sit back and relax to. I like the ones that mix both the interview and some studio footage with them normally bullshitting.

whiteshark761
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:53 pm 

If you have Netflix, there are several documentaries on Instant Watch about the making of Metallica's black album, Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast, Sabbath's Paranoid, and many other classic non-metal albums.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:54 am 

I have several CDs where there's a DVD with some making of documentaries, but I rarely watch them. Mostly I think they're reeeaally boring...

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:13 am 

Yeah I like these too, don't think I've watched one for a while though, can't even remember the last one I saw.

Chainsaw Omega
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:16 am 

The one that came with the digipack of RIITIIR from Enslaved is pretty good. I wouldn't say it's the most fun, but it is definitely cool to watch, especially if you're a fan of the band.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:33 am 

I enjoy these too. They usually serve as a good prelude to before the album's release. I generally follow the webisodes on youtube and most bands have them. The recent ones that I remember vividly and enjoy were the ones for Amorphis's Circle and for Corpse's Torture albums.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:14 am 

I remember Arsebreed did a "making of" for there album "Munching the Rotten" was pretty interesting! bit of fun watching them do there dual vocals aswell!

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:22 am 

lost_wanderer wrote:
''Some kind of monster'' by Metallica is a ''really good'' documentary about the making of St. Anger

Several bits are honestly quite entertaining. Kirk Hammett failing to learn an incredibly simple riff, and the band having to dumb it down. And Lars refusing to accept criticism for his shitty drumming or refusing to admit that his drum tracks are out of time.

vk66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:34 am 

Dubhar wrote:
The re-release of At the Gates' Slaughter of the Soul album had a pretty cool documentary. It lacks footage from the recording, but features members of the band and the producer looking over the songs, sometimes isolating certain instruments and effects and talking about what they were trying to achieve.

WoWoWo, when did this come out? Got to look this up right away.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:28 pm 

Aside from the obvious Some Kind of Monster, I always remember sitting down and watching the making of Dream Theater's Systematic Chaos when it first came out. It is a nifty little insight though the part where Portnoy is telling LaBrie what to sing kinda makes me cringe in hindsight.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:11 pm 

The commentary disks which come with the Peaceville re-releases of a number of Darkthrone's records are usually great fun to listen to; mainly just Fenriz and occasionally Nocturno Culto reminiscing on the writing and recording process, but they always seem to have something worthwhile to say about it.

Catamortal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:02 am 

Thank you all!!! If anyone knows of more please share! I appreciate it!

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:30 am 

I have heaps! I'm really into collecting special editions of albums with bonus DVDs. Far too many of them are really poorly done though. Too often they're just hastily thrown together scraps of home video of drunk people in tour buses pulling faces at the camera and thinking they're hilarious.

Some of the better ones I have are for The Devil You Know, Slaughter of the Soul and Pinnacle of Bedlam. Oh, and the documentary about the auditions for Dream Theater's new drummer with "A Dramatic Turn of Events" is pretty cool, also.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

The Orange Man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:46 am 

Co-signed on that Pinnacle Of Bedlam documentary. Lots of communication with the band, lots of Terrance Hobbs, and it touches on stuff happening outside the studio, as well. Definitely didn't mail it in with that documentary.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:48 am 

Indeed. It was long, but it kept me engaged through the whole process. It really felt like every member of the band gave a damn and had a share of the spotlight.

Dark Roots of Earth was also a good one I neglected to mention. I shall have to put my thinking cap on and make a mental list of the ones in my collection.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Reply to topic