Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
drobowik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:45 pm 

uglijimus wrote:
Does anyone know if this is an official version or not of Atrophy's Socialized Hate?

https://www.discogs.com/Atrophy-Sociali ... se/4542676

Looks like bootleg, I have never seen such a strange matrix code on Roadracer releases. And I have seen them quite much.

Bootleg sellers love to name their counterfeit CDs as represses.

CCSaint10
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:08 pm 

Not entirely sure if this is the right thread to ask, but since we're dealing with specific versions of albums here, I do have a question in regards to one.

To anyone who's heard it, does the original 1995 Black Dragon CD version of Master of Disguise/The Dominatress, by Savage Grace, sound like it's sourced from vinyl? I'm aware the 2010 Limb Music version is not, but it's also remixed, so I'm not interested in that. I managed to score a bootleg of the 1995 version some time ago, and it was definitely sourced from vinyl. However, in poking around the internet in search for the original mix, I was not able to come across any version that didn't sound like it was sourced from vinyl, making me think that even the legitimate CD version had the same issue. I can't truly confirm this, however, without having it in my possession, and it is a bit spendy, so I wanted to confirm whether or not it was a vinyl source before trying to get a copy.

Your help is appreciated.

mantalord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:26 pm 

Hello all,

I have this old school thrash metal CD from Coven titled Blessed Is The Black, and even though the release date on the disc is 1990/1988, the matrix number has an IFPI CODE: IFPI L15(''Enter'' signal here). That's right, the last digit in the IFPI is an ''enter'' symbol arrow. The rest of the matrix is the same as stated on Discogs.

Now, I wasn't aware Ever Rat Records/Medusa reissued the CD, so can please anyone shed more info about this, I'm planning on letting the CD go but want more certified info beforehand to display.

rooster85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:54 pm 

I have a question about my Vio-lence Eternal Nightmare CD.

Is it legit? It looks ok to me, BUT 2 things look a little suspicious. All copies of this pressing i've seen have "18" on CD mould (this version is also on Discogs), but mine copy has "1". Also the ink on the CD is a little bit hmm "thicker" than on other copies.

Anyone can help me with this one?

2 photos:

http://imgur.com/a/Drwmx

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:08 am 

Is the release "Come in Satanic Forest" by Burzum a bootleg?
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

DestruicaoMetalica
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:43 pm 

This is on the back insert of a King Diamond - Abigail CD I bought, can anyone identify it as a signature?

Deathwish77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:17 pm 

My thought on autographed CDs is if you weren't the one who got it signed, who gives a shit. My Disincarnate disc is signed and I could care less.

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:56 pm 

Pretty small for a signature, looks more like someone put their initials on it and the year they bought it.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:31 am 

There's a special place in hell for people who tag CDs like that. Unless you're going to keep the damn thing forever and be buried with it, it's just rude as fuck :grr:

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:33 pm 

chaossphere wrote:
There's a special place in hell for people who tag CDs like that. Unless you're going to keep the damn thing forever and be buried with it, it's just rude as fuck :grr:

I've been sent two obscure discs (and paid going obscure price) from sellers on Discogs who tagged their discs in a similar way. One even used his own personal address stickers to place over the barcode. There's a third one if I include Ebay dealings, all within the last 6 months. All three international purchases. I swear, you foreigners are the worst!

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:29 pm 

Maybe they kept the munted copies specially reserved for easy-victim Americans :P I've heard too many bad things about Discogs sellers to even bother with it.

FNS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:39 am 

Regarding emperor in the nightside eclipse firstpress lp discogs says

Barcode (Text): 5 016685 023017
Barcode (String): 5016685023017
Matrix / Runout (Runout Side A, Variant 1): CANDLE 008 A-1 ['SNA' logo] EX
Matrix / Runout (Runout Side B, Variant 1): CANDLE 008 - B1. ['SNA' logo] EX
Matrix / Runout (Side A Runout - Etched Variant 2): CANDLE 008 A-1
Matrix / Runout (Side B Runout - Etched Variant 2): CANDLE 008 - B1.
Matrix / Runout (Side A, B - Stamped Pressing Plant Variant 2): ['SNA' logo]

but i m not sure. i got 4 copies. the differences are matt vs. glossy labels, brighter vs. darker covers. 1 copy has the matrix with "ex" (got this maybe 2 years ago) in addition and the remaining 3 miss that. the one with the "ex" in the matrix was bought maybe 2 years ago on ebay. two without "ex" were traded maaaany years ago and were said to be the firstpress. the last one without "ex" in the matrix was bought in the early 2000s from pervertadtaste. i remember, before the year 2000, i never saw the ITNE lp anywhere. suddenly pervertedtase and other distros carried that lp for a regular price with the matrix given above (variant 2) missing "ex". it was said its a repress. as far as i remember the covers were less glossy than those that i later traded supposed to be the firstpress.

who can help?? how can i recognize the firstpress? was it released when the album initially was released in 94 at all? or was it pressed as firstpress in 2000?

egarding emperor in the nightside eclipse firstpress lp discogs says

Asti78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:46 pm 

First thing: Don't believe everything that Discogs says. There is so much bullshit information and this is a good example. The version from 2000 is not a new variant of the firstpress, it should be a separate re-release from a later date.
I don't know exactly any more if the first vinyl edition came out together with the CD in 1994 or a few months later but definitely around that time and it was quite hard to get back then already.
Good users: ins88(2x), Oligarch, Mr_Belvedere(8x), coldsunproductions, Apostate, narlotep, Kubrat(5x), caine(2x), nothenam(2x), Mysticus(2x), Peststurm(3x), Brandanschlag, MDeth, MikeyC, SepticTomb, thunderbelial, KevinPage, Desekrate, WASPcollector, Wolfhead(2x), Mephs, ...

slayerhatesusall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:09 pm 

mantalord wrote:
Hello all,

I have this old school thrash metal CD from Coven titled Blessed Is The Black, and even though the release date on the disc is 1990/1988, the matrix number has an IFPI CODE: IFPI L15(''Enter'' signal here). That's right, the last digit in the IFPI is an ''enter'' symbol arrow. The rest of the matrix is the same as stated on Discogs.

Now, I wasn't aware Ever Rat Records/Medusa reissued the CD, so can please anyone shed more info about this, I'm planning on letting the CD go but want more certified info beforehand to display.

It's a legitimate repressing from the mid 90's, I had that repress but sold it since I got the first pressing.

Hippopotamus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:21 am 

Hello

I just bought Crimson Glory's Strange and Beautiful released by Monsters of Rock in 2002 from a flea market. Discogs seems to be treating it as an unofficial release. So are Monsters of Rock releases bootlegs or are they just licensed Russian releases?

AcidMind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:36 pm 

Hippopotamus wrote:
Hello

I just bought Crimson Glory's Strange and Beautiful released by Monsters of Rock in 2002 from a flea market. Discogs seems to be treating it as an unofficial release. So are Monsters of Rock releases bootlegs or are they just licensed Russian releases?

Bootleg. Licensed russian releases are: FONO, CD-Maximum, Irond, Soyuz, Mazzar

basher666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:02 am 

God I wish I had found that topic earlier!

It happens that I own two releases that I struggle to identify on discogs, if anyone here can help me I'd be so grateful!

Manowar - Sign of the Hammer

It seems to be an italian release by 10 Records, issued in 1984. It also says it has been printed in Holland. Problem is that there is no barcode or other identifier, except on the CD itself where I can read LC 3098. Check link below for picture of the back of the cd :
http://i.imgur.com/uQqu9j0.jpg

Stryper - Soldier Under Command
Same problem here, I have a LP version released by Enigma. On the side it's written ENIGMA INT 148.720, but amongst all the versions released by Enigma on discogs I dont recognize my version.
There is no barcode, but I can find the identifier 08-023657-20
Matrix Runout Side A : 08-23443-2A-1
Matrix Runout Side B : 08-23443-2B-1
Also have the number 2077-1 shown on the vinyl itself

Again I uploaded pictures :
http://i.imgur.com/wmrQmm3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/HwpOzai.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/oeHwhfb.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NVMZwTo.jpg

For both of its releases, if anyone can tell me which version it is on discogs or, if needed, if you people are sure they are not listed yet on the website, in which case I will add them.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:39 am 

Got an odd one here... Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal, Under One Flag. Booklet and back insert look fine, but the disc matrix looks nothing the ones I can find pictures of (there appears to be only one pressing), the print is smaller, the solid silver line is shorter and it says "FLAG 30" instead of "FLAG 54" (FLAG 30 is the catalog ID for Leave Scars). There's also a funny little mark in the matrix which has me a bit suspicious. I'll attempt a photo tomorrow on my crappy cellphone camera but I doubt I can get a lot of detail at that range.

edit: confirmed bootleg. Poster on NWN got a bootleg of Leave Scars with a FLAG 54 matrix, obviously some Greeks had a bit too much wine when programming the CD press in their basement or however the fuckers make these things. Gotta say the booklet quality is pretty damn good, if they hadn't fucked up the matrix and the indented centre ring I probably wouldn't have even noticed.

Last edited by chaossphere on Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quorthum Tyr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:31 am 

Hello,
I have doubts about my Apocrypha cd "Eyes of Time"
as I can put some pics?
I appreciate your help.
Thank you

Immerse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:51 am 

Lich Coldheart wrote:
Is the release "Come in Satanic Forest" by Burzum a bootleg?

Looks like yes.

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:14 pm 

rooster85 wrote:
I have a question about my Vio-lence Eternal Nightmare CD.

Is it legit? It looks ok to me, BUT 2 things look a little suspicious. All copies of this pressing i've seen have "18" on CD mould (this version is also on Discogs), but mine copy has "1". Also the ink on the CD is a little bit hmm "thicker" than on other copies.

Anyone can help me with this one?

2 photos:

http://imgur.com/a/Drwmx

To be honest, it looks legit to me, but I'm not an expert at recognising bootlegs. Where did you buy it?

Godsmack123
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:12 pm 

Question for all you guys regarding counterfeit CDs how's the sound quality on them is it the same as the original cd?

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:45 pm 

Godsmack123 wrote:
Question for all you guys regarding counterfeit CDs how's the sound quality on them is it the same as the original cd?

Well, depends on the quality of the bootleg/what it was sourced from but generally, yeah sound quality is much the same.

Godsmack123
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:01 pm 

It would be sourced from the original cd, just wondering cuz I was thinking of getting the counterfeit ones if there was no difference in sound

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:09 pm 

You'd be better off to just illegally download the albums. Loading up on counterfeits could actually land you in jail

Godsmack123
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:29 pm 

Lol I'm thinking that those people are buying popular albums I'm buying mostly out of print CDs that sold poorly

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:35 am 

Yeah but your money is then going into the pockets of organized crime and possibly even ending up funding African terrorist organizations, if the "Nigerian mafia" named in the article is anything to go by. If you don't give a shit about any of that then go ahead, just remember these are the same people who are responsible for all sorts of massacres, female genital mutilation and human trafficking. It's a slippery slope :P

Godsmack123
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:16 am 

Lol my CDs will be coming from Russia so idk what the birds are up to hopefully things aren't quite as bad as they are in Africa lol

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:47 pm 

Those are probably made by the Russian mafia :lol:

Godsmack123
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:00 pm 

Lol that'd be kinda funny if it was true

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:20 am 

So, I would, too, like some help concerning an album I bought recently from Bowel of Noise from Greece. As I fell victim to a bootlegger not too long ago, I would like someone to help me with this one:

Spoiler: show

Spoiler: show

The Barcode on the back cover is: 7 273616 851264
It appears to be ok, except for the CD case which looks very new so it must have been replaced. You never know with these things...
Thanks in advance!

Yes it is.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:47 am 

That matrix is legit don't worry. It's really easy to identify fake DURECO matrixes.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:52 am 

Candlemass - Tales of Creation

I've got a Metal Blade copy of this from 1990 that cuts Under the Oak in half and puts the first half on the end of track 3. Its not listed here but discogs has it listed. I was going to add it but I have no idea the exact release date, just 1990. Any way to find that info? Is this version any kind of rarity?

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:52 pm 

You don't need the full release date to add it, do you? I do remember reading somewhere that they fucked up the early CD presses and I doubt it's unofficial or rare, since Metal Blade is a fairly big label, so they tend to press in bulk. I doubt it's a rarity, since on the sales history it goes for about £7-8 (which is about $5 I think). Unfortunately, I can't tell you where to look for a full release date, I suppose you could try their official site or, more likely, Rate Your Music.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:02 am 

androdion wrote:
That matrix is legit don't worry. It's really easy to identify fake DURECO matrixes.

Thank you so much!

Yes it is.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:12 pm 

LefterisK wrote:
androdion wrote:

Thank you so much!

PS: With DURECO matrixes you need to take a close look at the serifs, that's the tell. ;)

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:56 am 

Deathdoom1992 wrote:
You don't need the full release date to add it, do you? I do remember reading somewhere that they fucked up the early CD presses

They fucked up Nightfall too... the first half of "Well of Souls" is on track 1 and it changes to track 2 when the song pauses before that massive epic crushfuck of a riff at around the 3 minute mark.

Kalinit
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:45 am 

I need a little help finding out whether this CD is fake or not. I got it for very little money (not even 1$) and I can't find a match to the disc online.
https://postimg.org/image/3ktgedtcf/
https://postimg.org/image/4pl4e1hkf/

BreedingtheSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:45 pm 

I recently got a copy of Legion of the Damned Descent into Chaos CD, but I am wondering if the CD is a bootleg or not? On the back of the playing side of the CD it has BOD and IFPI LL00. I compared it to my other Massacre Records CDs and the disc are manufactured by Doc Data.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:48 pm 

BOD = Berlin Optical Disc, a very commonly used plant in, yep, Berlin. Unless the font looks dodgy I wouldn't worry about it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 65  Next