1. Seafarer's Dream
2. Rum, Women, Victory
3. Andromeda
4. The Defence of the Sampo
5. Run from the Crushing Tide
6. For Sirens
7. One with the Sea
8. Midsummer Magic
9. Cold Northland (Väinämöinen Part III)

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but this seemed to have come out of nowhere! I didn't realize they were working on new material. I'm really enjoying the song they put out, it's already stuck in my head after one listen! I'm glad they didn't release the first or last song as the single (yet), kinda getting tired of bands doing that. To me, the opener and closer are very important parts of the album and should be kept until the whole thing is released.

Misotheist - Melodic Black/Death/Thrash Metal
Spotify

Gunslinger21
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:33 am 

Can I just say, this cover art looks amazing. Can't wait to hear it.

Curious_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:29 am 

OK, so I'm not as fond of these guys as I used to be, for one I don't like Petri's singing at all. It was OK for Norther, but not for Ensiferum. I also feel the band has been on a downward slope, my three favorite albums are the first three.

BUT! This song (Rum, Women, Victory) really kicks ass. Probably their best since Iron. I'm just disappointed that it's yet another song about drinking, getting women and winning battles, seems like there should be other topics for songs, but despite that, I absolutely love the song. Despite the cheesy lyrics, it feels like it could fit on their earlier albums.

Also, that album cover is really awesome. I think their covers are quite bland, but I like this one.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:38 am 

I’m fine with that. Their best songs from the last album were Feast with Valkyries and God is Dead.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:44 am 

I thought the same thing about this song - really feels like a return to form. I honestly enjoyed Two Paths and One Man Army. The songwriting seemed more straight-forward and honest, though some of the tracks did not have that same 'epic' feel that they did before, not exactly sure why. I noticed there is a new member this time around - a keyboard player/clean vocalist. I'm curious to hear what he will bring to the table (provided that he played on the album).

This new song really combines the straight-forward songwriting that I mentioned earlier, and the epicness that I've been craving from them. I think this album is going to be a lot of fun!

Also, totally agree about the artwork. It looks incredible! The track I listened to last night was just with the artwork on youtube, and I was just taking in all the details as I listened. Really complements the theme and atmosphere of the band.

Spotify

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:58 pm 

This sounds.....refreshingly like something off the first two albums. I Love the instrumentation but the harsher vocals are kind of 'a dime a dozen', but his cleans are really good and I wish he, and more bands in this vein, would just try for more clean vocals.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:16 pm 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
but his cleans are really good and I wish he, and more bands in this vein, would just try for more clean vocals.

Man one of the worst parts of Two Paths was that they made the bizarre decision to let everybody who wasn't Markus do a bunch of clean vocals and it turns out everybody else in the band sucks at it, lol. I can't stand Jari as a person but there's no denying they lost a bit of vocal versatility when he left.

Anyway this song absolutely smokes and I'm genuinely blown away by how much I like it. Ensiferum has had one hell of a wonky trajectory but if everything is this good it's in serious danger of being the best one since Victory Songs.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:18 pm 

Victory Songs is far and away my favorite Ensiferum album. The aggression on Victory Songs melded with the folky elements are what really spoke to me. I prefer all of the Jari era albums much more than I do anything beyond Victory Songs, so this sample gives me hope that we'll see a good blend of older Ensiferum styles.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:15 pm 

New single out

Curious_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:19 pm 

OK, two singles in a row that I like. I'm not convinced by the clean singing, but I'll still take it over Petri's voice any day of the week, and the melody is catchy enough without being ultra cheesy. Theme aside, sounds like it would have been a good fit on Victory Songs.

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:28 pm 

Looks like they are returning to their sound on Victory Songs and From Afar. I really like it, since I didn't enjoy their last 2 albums at all.

The only gripe is that the riffs in these new songs sound like a rehash of their older albums. Someone on youtube was reminded of Faun - Tanz mit mir, and I indeed hear it. This melody is pretty overused honestly.

Another thing I don't like is the power metal vocalist. I don't think he fits the sound.

Last edited by funeralravens on Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inkshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:47 pm 

Is Ensiferum the Last Folk Metal Band Standing at this point? They and Arkona seem to be propping the genre's lifeless body up all by themselves.

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:55 pm 

Inkshooter wrote:
Is Ensiferum the Last Folk Metal Band Standing at this point? They and Arkona seem to be propping the genre's lifeless body up all by themselves.

If we are talking about "pop" folk metal, Alestorm seems to be doing well (not a fan). In the folk black/pagan black metal genre we still have bands like Primordial or Moonsorrow and some smaller new bands like Saor. Folk metal doesn't seem very popular right now, but I think it will come back in time.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:08 pm 

That was a killer song and video. The keyboardist really surprised me with his vocals, it really adds to the already strong and diverse set of vocals that the band has featured for so long. I'm definitely sold on the album and will be picking this one up this year!

Spotify

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:35 pm 

Man, "Rum, Women, Victory"? Obviously Ensiferum's been pretty goofy their entire career, but that's way too embarrassing for me to get behind. :ugh:

Interested to hear Väinämöinen Part III though.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:09 am 

Yeah that's the song I'm most hyped about, Old Man and Little Dreamer were some of the my favorite Ensiferum songs/

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:44 am 

Inkshooter wrote:

I certainly think Arkona is singlehandedly propping up folk metal in terms of musical quality... but they aren't keeping the style popular relative to other kinds of metal. What was the last big folk metal hit? Voice of Steel? Marrow of the Spirit? Both the moody serious bands and the fun party bands like Alestorm have been soldiering on the whole time but to my knowledge none are getting the metal scene frisky like this stuff did in 2008.

naudr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:45 am 

Not feeling these at all to be honest. The first album was alright but this is really just eeeeehhhh. Also, hasn't metal moved on from the "omg big breasted woman randomly in music video" yet? This is almost at the level of that Rhapsody video imho.

I'll also second folk metal seeming rather dead. That said, I've never really gotten the hype around Arkona either. Luckily bands like Saor, Primordial and Moonsorrow still always have solid releases.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:09 am 

This "battle metal" type of folk metal (huge bombastic choirs and strings/horns coupled with a lot of power metal influence) and the dumb polka shit like Korpiklaani and old Finntroll are more or less done as a viable force, but there are a few of the old guard like Ensiferum here still soldiering on. It looks like it was ultimately a fad that flamed out, while the more black metal influenced pagan style has been steadily chugging along in the background for decades.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:38 pm 

YES!!!

Ensiferum has been one of my favorite melodic death bands for years now, but they'd gotten a bit stale on their last few albums, but if this is any indicator then they are back on point.

I'll definitely be buying this.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:52 am 

Honestly, this version of the video is epic and hilarious at the same time.

I love how it captures the "brotherhood of metal" feel with all the camera angles of different fans in isolation during the pandemic, basically with that message that "even when alone we are together in the metal brotherhood."

Good stuff:

https://youtu.be/R3zeW_cEm7I

Last edited by Ill-Starred Son on Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:02 am 

Razakel wrote:
Man, "Rum, Women, Victory"? Obviously Ensiferum's been pretty goofy their entire career, but that's way too embarrassing for me to get behind. :ugh:

I might seem silly saying this, but when watching the video i just posted with all of the clips of the different fans in isolation rocking out from different backgrounds and parts of the world, and with lyrics like "what should one do, when darkens the sky? When in the horizon, enemy sails arise?"...I'm feeling like "rum, women and victory" is a metaphor for a sort of "metal brotherhood" we can band together with during dark times like this pandemic.

The "shit is rough, but we can still party and rock out together" vibe is very much what they are going for in that video.

It's certainly about metal helping people still bond during the pandemic for me, and i think they were going for that kind of idea, albeit with a silly metaphor.

SilverSpring2018
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:51 am 

Both singles are pretty encouraging. The new dude doing the cleans is good. And the music still retains an edge. It took me more time to warm up to "Andromeda" though.

Dullahan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:20 pm 

The clean singer has that early Geoff Tate "chicken" enunciation that is an acquired taste, but he's not bad. A quirky voice for a quirky band, I guess. Anyway, the new tracks do nothing for me. Even other songs from Petri's era like From Afar and Twilight Tavern wipe the floor with these. I'm with you guys concerning how good the artwork is, though. Beautiful stuff.

awhiteguy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:47 pm 

The main melody in Andromeda sounds awfully close to ripping off Twilight Tavern.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:45 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
This "battle metal" type of folk metal (huge bombastic choirs and strings/horns coupled with a lot of power metal influence) and the dumb polka shit like Korpiklaani and old Finntroll are more or less done as a viable force, but there are a few of the old guard like Ensiferum here still soldiering on. It looks like it was ultimately a fad that flamed out, while the more black metal influenced pagan style has been steadily chugging along in the background for decades.

I was an absolute sucker for all of this back in the day. I went to every Pagan Fest, actually listened to Korpiklaani records, told friends the "Rasputin" was the greatest cover of all time, and convinced myself Eluveitie was the best band in the world. As embarrassing as that all is, I just can't see myself ever getting sick of Ensiferum or Tyr. They manage to balance themselves just on the right side of the cheesy<-->resptactable spectrum, and even if they ever cross that line completely, they both at least have incredible albums that withstood the test of time. Stoked for this album, and the eventual tour that follows. I'll be up front rocking out with kids half my age, no shame.

Curious_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:37 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

I was an absolute sucker for all of this back in the day. I went to every Pagan Fest, actually listened to Korpiklaani records, told friends the "Rasputin" was the greatest cover of all time, and convinced myself Eluveitie was the best band in the world. As embarrassing as that all is, I just can't see myself ever getting sick of Ensiferum or Tyr. They manage to balance themselves just on the right side of the cheesy<-->resptactable spectrum, and even if they ever cross that line completely, they both at least have incredible albums that withstood the test of time. Stoked for this album, and the eventual tour that follows. I'll be up front rocking out with kids half my age, no shame.

I don't listen nearly as much to cheesy folk metal bands as I used to, but I would definitely go to a Pagan fest every year. As cheesy as they are, these bands are made for fun live shows. I was never bored at a Korpiklaani performance, even when they play lesser songs. I tend to get more quickly bored of their albums though. Same with Ensiferum, but to a lesser degree.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:37 am 

Full album is out, and man it's pretty good. I'm really liking the clean vocalist. The album is more of a sea shanty to be honest, and it works perfectly well. I'd say the best songs would be Defense of the Sampo, Midsummer Magic(my personal favorite off the album) and Andromeda. Was a little bit dissapointed at Cold Northland(Väinämöinen part 3) besides the latter half, I didnt think it popped out that much.

But yeah I'd say it filled that void that Two Paths left. Less filler than that album.

BarbaricAvatar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:02 pm 

I've been a fan since Iron, but on the basis of the three songs teased prior to release, i'm seriously questioning whether i'm going to buy Thalassic at all. To be honest, i found it hard to believe that long-time fans liked Two Paths as i found it to be severely lacking; as if it were a band ticking boxes of what people expected from the genre. And now these new songs make it seem like they're trying hard to not tick boxes and do things that people aren't expecting. I was happy when Ensiferum were making Ensiferum tracks, why do we need Ensiferum now making non-Ensiferum tracks? These new clean vocals are awful; it was a stupid idea for Equilibrium to introduce them and it's a stupid idea for Ensiferum to use them.
They've always had Sami and Markus doing the clean vocals on previous albums so why are they suddenly using the weak-voiced dude? Was it a proviso that came with his keyboard application? "If you give me the gig then you have to let me sing on some tracks"

Do artists simply get bored making songs that people like? Do they wake up one morning and say "This career path has been kind to us and we've written some great music for which we've gained masses of fans all over the world. Let's not do that anymore, let's start playing half-assed music instead to attract some new fans and get rid of the old ones."

But yeah, i've only heard the three previously released tracks and thought they were all far below what i've come to expect from this band. Unless they've bucked the trend of artists and demonstrated the 3 worst songs on the album, it's not enough to get me to go out and get it.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:13 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

I actually think Eluveitie has held up quite well too, especially their first two albums. Their newest one "Ategnatos" is also their best since those first two albums. They definitely don't have that cheesy Korpiklaani/Finntroll vibe (though I do love me some cheese - not gonna lie).

Anyway, I've never been the biggest fan of Ensiferum, but I decided to give this album a spin simply out of curiosity and I did enjoy it. Now I'll have to listen to their earlier stuff and figure out why they didn't click with me much in the past (aside from a few songs of course).

SilverSpring2018
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:31 pm 

What I have heard of Thalassic, I have really liked. This band needed a shot in the arm. I imagine opening up the songwriting--making it a more democratic process--is almost always going to result in at least a slight change in sound/direction. Fortunately, the result here is a diverse record that keeps the Ensiferum sound mostly intact.

WarriorFenix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:05 pm 

Love the album, not only is it easily their best since ""From Afar", but id say its as good as the first two Petri Lindroos fronted Ensiferum albums.

Andromeda is a fucking killer track

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:16 pm 

Surprisingly fun singles, these two. The last song I really liked by them was "In My Sword I Trust" and that was one of the few worthwhile songs on that 2012 (?) album.

I might actually check this album out.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork - "The Individualist" music video!
Adder's Fork - "The Individualist" EP stream!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:31 pm 

Enjoyed this quite a bit upon first listen. There are definitely some new components going on here, but I found myself digging those things after being jarred a bit. Just the exact right amount of cheesiness. The thing that strikes me is that I actually want to listen to the album again unlike anything after From Afar. Furthermore, Ensiferum has incorporated their classic type of melodies while incorporating new elements. Finally, Thalassic has the best production since Victory Songs, which plays a significant role in my eyes. Even though I didn't spend much time with anything they put out in the last 10 years, I remember thinking that the production was a bit muddier on those albums than it should be for this type of Metal. They did a great job of separating the instruments and allowing vocals to shine when necessary.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:04 pm 

His cleans sound like the guy who sang on the Unbent/Unbroken Hammerfall album, which is a good thing! I'll definitely check this out.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:26 am 

So I am actually checking out the free Metal Blade album stream on YouTube. I'm more than halfway through the record and so far only the two singles really grab me.

Perhaps I was a little quick with my positivity. The longer it goes on, the comparisons to "From Afar" become less suitable, it's more like a better produced version of their latest few with a clean singer, whom I really feel a bit lukewarm about. It also pisses me off that "Rum, Women, Victory" is the only fucking fast song so far, there's way too much mid-pace here, like on their last few slip-ups.

EDIT: Okay, forget it. It takes the album almost 40 minutes to pick up some classic Ensiferum-speed again (the closer!), after the utterly shitty song that is "Midsummer Magic".

So it's one and a half fast-paced, riffy songs, with 35 (often) interchangable minutes of dragging midpace in the middle.

Thanks, I'm out.

Adder's Fork - Website
Adder's Fork - "The Individualist" music video!
Adder's Fork - "The Individualist" EP stream!
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Curious_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:51 pm 

On first listen, it's not bad at all. I liked it better than their efforts since From Afar. Initial impressions are that the bad songs are really bad, but the good songs are very good, and there are a few that are just there and on which I have yet to form a final opinion.

I am very grateful for the use of clean vocals; although I usually prefer harsh vocals, I hate Petri as a singer. So less Petri (on vocals) is a good thing IMO. Though he was OK in Norther, his voice fit the musical style much better. I don't feel like he sells epic viking badass music very much.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:18 am 

Razakel wrote:

The second single (above) is much better - "Rum, Women, Victory" got me accused of listening to Alestorm in a non-live setting :lol:

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:44 am 

The first 4 Ensiferum albums are all great, but I never checked them out after that actually.

Might check this new one out!

Simfers
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:53 am 

This was really great. My first exposure to the band, too, off to a good start.

Reminded me of Amorphis with the folk elements turned way up and the prog elements turned way down.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next