Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SmallPoxie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:24 pm 

Imagine listening to some LP or full length and after minutes of enjoyment, comes a song that its really bad and ruins the entire experience.

Any experiences like that?

MetalWebhead25
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:26 pm 

Any album with too much filler or just majority filler to me is a bad album. You've always got those bands that are known for a single or whanot and then you attempt to listen to the album that it came from which then it ends up that the single is literally the only thing keeping that band from dying off. So, just one song? More like single-led bands (nu metal, alt, lots of groove, etc.)

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:47 pm 

I've learnt to live with it but The Battle of Chamdo from the latest Gorguts album kind of ruins the mood in an otherwise excellent album. It's just so bombastic and out of place. It's not even a bad track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSb8x88PH8c

On_Stranger_Tides
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:27 pm 

Doesn't exactly ruin it, but if it weren't for the boring-by-comparison closer, Solstice's New Dark Age might be my favorite record of all time.

Erdrickgr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:27 pm 

Manowar's '88 album Kings of Metal comes to mind. It's not otherwise perfect--Sting of the Bumblebee seems like an unnecessary bit of self-indulgence and The Warriors Prayer pushes the cheese factor even for them--yet I think it's a damn solid album... but then there's the song Pleasure Slave. When I was a teen there was stuff on this album that made me wonder what non-metalhead friends/family were thinking if they heard it (like the lyrics about slaughter), but that was true of many metal albums; Pleasure Slave embarrassed me and made it awkward in front of even other metalheads though. I wouldn't say it ruined the album, but it is an example where a single song kind of tarnished the experience and brought the entire thing down a notch, and not just because it's bland or filler.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:34 pm 

Watch Out, last song on the limited edition of Hypocrisy's Virus. It's horrible!
This goes for pretty much all bonus tracks. Idiocy! Adding stuff that shouldn't be on the album doesn't add value!

InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:10 pm 

I love Morgana Lefays The Secret Doctrine. It has a black album feel to it and the snare drum is so early 90's in sound. Musically it is excellent but then there is the lyrical content on State of Intoxication:

Quote:
You're nude just screwed
Your dick is in pain but you're in a good mood
With nothing in mind almost blind
Your pecker's a mess but you do feel fine
You're gucked you're sucked you've fucked
You're glued to the sheets like a piece of rock?
White stains on her behind
Fruits of the labour of the bump and grind

State of intoxication
I'm flying high on love

Make love no way
It's a physical act with no foreplay
Doin' the deeds that your boner needs
Drain your balls into the pussy you feed
You sweat you howl you growl
Fornicate her with your heart and soul
Dirty deeds done dirty sheets
A combination of sticky and sweet

State of intoxication
I'm flying high on love

Fuck

Romance no chance
Ecstasy is like a voodoo dance
A fuck is an act not a shameful crime
It has been done since the dawn of time
What do we do? We screw!
Armadillos are doin' it too
A matter of course our source
Nature is an unstoppable force

State of intoxication
I'm flying high on love

I hate that :-(

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:18 pm 

"Mentally Yours" on Savatage's Gutter Ballet was always such an annoying song.

"The Spirit Will Remain" doesn't ruin Edguy's Hellfire Club but it is kind of a weak closer. They're never the best with album endings really.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:19 pm 

"I Like It" by Lacuna Coil made an already terrible album near-unforgivable.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:55 pm 

It's always been relatively common for an album to have maybe one or two good tracks and the rest disposable filler tracks. One or two filler tracks I'd be okay with, if it's half the tracks I'd consider it to be still a decent record (especially if there are real gems among the remaining ones) but if it's just one song...then I typically just skip that track. The only way I think one really bad song would ruin the album is, if that song is a 25 minute long keyboard instrumental consisting of three repeated notes (and you probably know which black metal album I'm referring to here) or, if the "worst" song ends up being the most "famous" song, for whatever reason.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:30 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
It's always been relatively common for an album to have maybe one or two good tracks and the rest disposable filler tracks. One or two filler tracks I'd be okay with, if it's half the tracks I'd consider it to be still a decent record (especially if there are real gems among the remaining ones) but if it's just one song...then I typically just skip that track. The only way I think one really bad song would ruin the album is, if that song is a 25 minute long keyboard instrumental consisting of three repeated notes (and you probably know which black metal album I'm referring to here) or, if the "worst" song ends up being the most "famous" song, for whatever reason.

Yeah, and another filler song that just repeats for no real reason. But people will still say it's a masterpiece...

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:37 pm 

I always thought "Mean Man" sucked on W.A.S.P.'s amazing Headless Children. Really great album that showed them maturing and cementing themselves as a heavy metal act, with songs that went above and beyond what they did before. And yet you have fuckin' "Mean Man" in there which feels so phoned in and lazy. I don't know how people enjoy it. What's worse is that it comes after 3 juggernaut tracks in "The Heretic", the title song, and arguably W.A.S.P.'s best song ever written, "Thunderhead". You're telling me that after following those +10 solos on "Thunderhead" I gotta hear "Mean Man"? Fuck off. If it was put on any of the first three albums, where they were known as that type of band that did songs like that, I'd still think it'd be pretty weak. Even the bonus songs on later Headless Children releases are far superior.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:51 pm 

I really dislike the song "Forever" on Edguy's Hellfire Club. I wish they would have put on the much better ballad song "Holy Water" that they held back for the EP after.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:05 pm 

InnesI wrote:
I love Morgana Lefays The Secret Doctrine. It has a black album feel to it and the snare drum is so early 90's in sound. Musically it is excellent but then there is the lyrical content on State of Intoxication:

Quote:
You're nude just screwed

State of intoxication
I'm flying high on love

Make love no way

State of intoxication
I'm flying high on love

Fuck

Romance no chance
What do we do? We screw!

State of intoxication
I'm flying high on love

Don't know the band or the song but GEEZ those lyrics S U C K. It's like they were written by a horny 5th Grader with a low I.Q. ...who's still a virgin fantasizing about it. I bet whoever wrote them is a little embarrassed (or just laughs their ass off) when they read them now.

Re-reading it, I guess the occasional line or two is okay (passable), but so much is just cringeworthy, imo. "Armadillos are doin' it too" ? Luckily, no one looks to metal lyrics for poetry & elegance :lol:

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:05 pm 

Pleasure Slave.

https://www.last.fm/user/oldmetalthrone

lloyd93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:20 pm 

Erdrickgr wrote:
Manowar's '88 album Kings of Metal comes to mind. It's not otherwise perfect--Sting of the Bumblebee seems like an unnecessary bit of self-indulgence and The Warriors Prayer pushes the cheese factor even for them--yet I think it's a damn solid album... but then there's the song Pleasure Slave. When I was a teen there was stuff on this album that made me wonder what non-metalhead friends/family were thinking if they heard it (like the lyrics about slaughter), but that was true of many metal albums; Pleasure Slave embarrassed me and made it awkward in front of even other metalheads though. I wouldn't say it ruined the album, but it is an example where a single song kind of tarnished the experience and brought the entire thing down a notch, and not just because it's bland or filler.

You could say that for lots of Manowar albums. I happen to love Sting of the Bumblebee. William's Tale is also an awesome bass solo.
Black Metal is a unique art which allows us to express all kinds of human emotions – that's a gift. And as I said my inspirations are my self-reflexions. And they are always filled with real emotions and real considerations of human nature (Nargaroth - Ash/Kanwulf)

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:03 pm 

Rabies from Witchfinder General's Soviet Invasion EP is the first that comes to mind. That first line just set's a level of cringe that the song never recovers from.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:09 pm 

Summoning's Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame would be a perfect album if it wasnt for the boring In Hollow Halls Beneath The Falls.

PeteGas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:27 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
I always thought "Mean Man" sucked on W.A.S.P.'s amazing Headless Children. Really great album that showed them maturing and cementing themselves as a heavy metal act, with songs that went above and beyond what they did before. And yet you have fuckin' "Mean Man" in there which feels so phoned in and lazy. I don't know how people enjoy it. What's worse is that it comes after 3 juggernaut tracks in "The Heretic", the title song, and arguably W.A.S.P.'s best song ever written, "Thunderhead". You're telling me that after following those +10 solos on "Thunderhead" I gotta hear "Mean Man"? Fuck off. If it was put on any of the first three albums, where they were known as that type of band that did songs like that, I'd still think it'd be pretty weak. Even the bonus songs on later Headless Children releases are far superior.

I love Mean Man. A bit of a different vibe but WASP was still walking that line between dark and serious vs sleazy and raunchy, so a nasty little song like that with attitude for days works for me.

Roll those windows down on a hot summer day....great tune for that.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:38 am 

I think Mean Man is awesome, but I'm sympathetic to the idea that it bungles the thematic thruline of that album a bit. Maybe it would've worked better on Inside the Electric Circus.

GodOfMalice
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:36 am 

'The Years Without Light' from Scumdogs Of the Universe is so unremarkable that it baffles me. Scumdogs isn't my favorite GWAR album, but it has some killer tracks for the most part.

Discordant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:12 am 

InnesI wrote:

Quote:
You're nude just screwed

State of intoxication
I'm flying high on love

Make love no way

State of intoxication
I'm flying high on love

Fuck

Romance no chance
What do we do? We screw!

State of intoxication
I'm flying high on love

I know, it helps knowing their humour and personalities abit but thats a very atmospheric moody album, and those lyrics sorta takes you out of it. It would have been more awesome if it was a concept-album like many other of theirs.

InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:41 am 

Gemini 7 Rising wrote:
Don't know the band or the song but GEEZ those lyrics S U C K. It's like they were written by a horny 5th Grader with a low I.Q. ...who's still a virgin fantasizing about it. I bet whoever wrote them is a little embarrassed (or just laughs their ass off) when they read them now.

Re-reading it, I guess the occasional line or two is okay (passable), but so much is just cringeworthy, imo. "Armadillos are doin' it too" ? Luckily, no one looks to metal lyrics for poetry & elegance :lol:

Discordant wrote:
I know, it helps knowing their humour and personalities abit but thats a very atmospheric moody album, and those lyrics sorta takes you out of it. It would have been more awesome if it was a concept-album like many other of theirs.

I think their lyrics are generally fine and their music tends to be of that moody, introspective, side of heavy metal with thrashy elements. I love that. But even though I can laugh at stupid sex jokes with my friends I don't like humour in my music at all (even when it is actually funny). And in this case it tries to be humorous but only comes off as infantile and repulsive. I do however recommend anyone who loves heavy metal to check out the album. The rest of it is fantastic!

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:06 am 

Empyreal wrote:
"The Spirit Will Remain" doesn't ruin Edguy's Hellfire Club but it is kind of a weak closer. They're never the best with album endings really.

I agree, not the best song to end with, but not necessarily bad. I'd disagree about them not being strong with album endings though. Everything up to and including Mandrake has a good closer, and "The Eternal Wayfarer" off Space Police is one of their best songs in general. I will say though, joke song or not, I absolutely despise "Aren't You a Little Pervert Too?!". Absolute garbage. Would've been much better finishing with "Dead or Rock".

And on a somewhat related subject, "Inside" and "In Quest For" from the first two Avantasia albums aren't very good at all. Especially "Inside". Horrible vocal lines with really awkward sounding performances from both Sammet and Matos. "Symphony of Life" from Angel of Babylon is terrible as well, although that album as a whole is lacking a little.

"Anesthesia" from Kill 'Em All. Throwaway that adds nothing to the album.

"The Prophecy" from Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. This one has always stuck out to me - not bad but so inferior to everything else on the album.

I'll also add my voice to those who love "Mean Man". I also disagree with mentions of "Forever" (Edguy) and "Watch Out" (Hypocrisy)

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:13 am 

If you really wanna ruin an album with a single song, how about you play some classic black metal but then you go dun-dun-dun on a synthesizer for 25 minutes.

https://www.last.fm/user/oldmetalthrone

MetallicaTrueFan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:36 am 

While it isn't really a bad song... Reborn off Reign In Blood is the one song that feels like a capital F Filler on that album. Necrophobic is okay for what it is as well but I can never get into Reborn. Haven't been a big fan of Reborn when I got the album and haven't been a fan of it since.

TafferLad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:43 am 

If anyone says Quest for Fire or Invaders i'll come kill em

LordStenhammar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:54 am 

Jump in the Fire wasn't that hot. :)

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:12 am 

TafferLad wrote:
If anyone says Quest for Fire or Invaders i'll come kill em

+1. Throw in "Gangland", "Sun and Steel"... or any song from the first six albums for that matter. Except maybe "Strange World"... can't really make up my mind on that one.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:59 am 

lordcatfish wrote:
"Strange World"... can't really make up my mind on that one.

What?? Pls go see a doctor!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:08 am 

lordcatfish wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I agree, not the best song to end with, but not necessarily bad. I'd disagree about them not being strong with album endings though. Everything up to and including Mandrake has a good closer, and "The Eternal Wayfarer" off Space Police is one of their best songs in general. I will say though, joke song or not, I absolutely despise "Aren't You a Little Pervert Too?!". Absolute garbage. Would've been much better finishing with "Dead or Rock".

Yeah some of the old ones were fine, though Mandrake follows the pattern of the best stuff being at the beginning. And "Every Night Without You" off Age of the Joker is a great song albeit cheesy.

I never thought "Eternal Wayfarer" was that good - it's grown on me but it just doesn't grab me as one of his best songs even now.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:21 am 

LordStenhammar wrote:

I almost posted this. I agree, totally. I've never liked that song, and I've alway found it goofy.

wraithlike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:57 am 

Mutilated's Devirginated Genital Pulp has a few way too long samples that gets in the way of what may otherwise be some of the best The Bleeding inspired brutal death metal. The long anal sex sample and that one sample of a dude taking a shit and giving it to someone for dinner or whatever really makes everything to goofy and outwardly juvenile. But then again, I guess it's your fault for listening to an album with such a stupid fucking title.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:34 pm 

Lucky Animals from Epicloud. Mad how the shittiest song on that album is the only one that's a staple in Dev's live sets.

severzhavnost
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:42 pm 

Odd question for me. I’d never say one bad song can ruin a good album. It could make me finally lose interest in a mediocre album though, if it’s bad enough to lose hope that anything better will follow.

Dullahan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:22 pm 

Dark Moor's Ancestral Romance is a fine power metal album about Spanish culture, with tracks about Don Quixote, old Spanish corsairs, the legendary warlord El Cid, and even about how Cadiz is one of the oldest European cities. So far so good, but then you have this little song called "Just Rock" which is about... rocking out. It's complete with cheesy lyrics and clapping samples to accompany the drums, giving it a corny 80's vibe that doesn't suit the rest of the album at all, and then when it's done they're back at it with the Spanish stuff like nothing happened. Maybe I wouldn't go as far as to say it ruins the whole thing, but holy shit it's jarring.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:05 pm 

Dullahan wrote:
Dark Moor's Ancestral Romance is a fine power metal album about Spanish culture, with tracks about Don Quixote, old Spanish corsairs, the legendary warlord El Cid, and even about how Cadiz is one of the oldest European cities. So far so good, but then you have this little song called "Just Rock" which is about... rocking out. It's complete with cheesy lyrics and clapping samples to accompany the drums, giving it a corny 80's vibe that doesn't suit the rest of the album at all, and then when it's done they're back at it with the Spanish stuff like nothing happened. Maybe I wouldn't go as far as to say it ruins the whole thing, but holy shit it's jarring.

"Just Rock" isn't even a bad song, just a weird one.

It is a shame, though--Autumnal and Ancestral Romance were great albums, but they just went to shit afterwards, starting with the woefully mediocre Ars Musica.

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:49 pm 

LordStenhammar wrote:

I was going to suggest this too - possibly the worst song they released before Load.

I'd also put forward Forever by Quo Vadis which goes from a 9/10 album to 8/10, purely because of the horrific Inner Capsule. The grunts don't fit with the strained vocals at the beginning and it's downhill from there. Wouldn't have been as bad if they had just tagged the song on at the end of the album instead of putting it smack bang in the middle.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:04 pm 

"Söngur uppljómunar" by Misþyrming. The mood sounds so grim going through the album and they decide to throw in this goofball melody?

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:11 pm 

"Jump in the Fire" with Dave Mustaine's original lyrics would have made it even worse. Lars re-wrote the lyrics when they recorded it for the album. I dunno, that song's not that bad for me. I like it better than "Escape" on the second album, which is ironic since that song sort of set the template for what a lot of their 90's material was like.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next