Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:55 am 

Weird that the trailer says "November 1st" but the press release says a week later.

Info on the project:

Quote:
Promising to be one of the most ambitious projects in metal's history, BLIND GUARDIAN's upcoming release will be well worth the wait. The idea to record an orchestral album originally formed in the minds of the two leading lights of the BLIND GUARDIAN universe — guitarist André Olbrich and singer Hansi Kürsch — during the 1990s when BLIND GUARDIAN started to use orchestral elements to enhance their opulent sound.

The monumental project started to take shape over recent years, and mirroring its epic sound cascades, the lyrical concept was developed. To create the concept, André and Hansi worked alongside German bestselling author Markus Heitz, whose latest novel "Die Dunklen Lande" was released on March 1. The book is set in 1629 and contains the prequel to BLIND GUARDIAN TWILIGHT ORCHESTRA's opus "Legacy Of The Dark Lands", which will be out on November 8.

New song:
Youtube: show

Trailer:
Youtube: show

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:13 am 

I like orchestral/soundtrack music and Hansi's voice sounds as good as ever, but hearing the two together just makes me wish it was a new BG album. Still, cool to see that they finally got this off the ground - I remember them talking about it all the way back in the late 2000s.

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:16 am 

The low end is absurd, and Hansi gets buried whenever the orchestra gets hot and heavy.

Anyway, the song is really cool. It's just BG without the band. Still pretty solid BG too, so I'm into it.

PurpleDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:16 am 

The date got pushed back a week sometime after the initial reveal in that trailer, it's November 8.

Not super thrilled by the song, there's a couple points where it spends time just treading water, and the complete lack of metal really does weaken the impact of key moments. It's nice to see such a longstanding passion project come to fruition but it's not shaping up to be among my favorite BG records. With luck there will be some better material on the rest of the album, though.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:30 pm 

Pretty much shite. Hansi sounds good... but the song goes nowhere. Hopefully, this is the last folly before they realise that they lost something years ago. I doubt they will, though.

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

Lolpah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:25 pm 

The problem is that the instrumental and the vocals don't fit together. The instrumental would work ok by itself as some sort of orchestral fantasy background music and the vocals would work well in an actual metal BG song, but without the metal they just don't have enough power behind them.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:38 pm 

Not really that thrilling of a song, but I've never been interested in this style in general. I do appreciate the ambition. Don't know if it'll work but it is interesting.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:40 pm 

The song has its moments, but it's mostly dull and plodding. Meh.
Mob Psycho 100 II
After That: Martian Successor Nadesico and The Irresponsible Captain Tylor

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:46 pm 

New Blind Guardian album with riffs - missing in action for two decades.

LycanthropeMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:54 pm 

I almost felt like I was listening to the Harry Potter soundtracks.

Lord_Beavereater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:36 am 

Haven't listened to BG for at least a decade, but listened to the new song for some reason.
I thought it was good. Obviously not Metal or what I associate with them.
Great Queen and XTC vibes from the song. Great melody and vocals. I will actually listen to the finished product no issues.
Good work in my opinion for what it is.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:46 pm 

Yeah, I was hoping for a bit more with this, Hansi was great of course but the songwriting wasn't terribly exciting, I guess I didn't really know what to expect with a non-metal BG project, but I hope there's some stuff that's more interesting and engaging than this. I am fairly hopeful since I've liked all of the band's albums up to this point, but time will tell I guess.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:35 pm 

Shit I was thinking this was metal related and not pure symphonic music.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:02 am 

you can get away with that kind of lyrics on a metal song, but not over a stripped down orchestral instrumentation. I laughed my a** off the whole way through... :/

if that's representative of the album, I don't think I'm gonna buy or enjoy this very much. but I still have faith that there could be a coupla strong tracks, or at least moments.

and I wouldn't be surprised if the next BG release featured metalized versions of songs from this one...

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:50 pm 

droneriot wrote:
New Blind Guardian album with riffs - missing in action for two decades.

They've had more riffs in the past 2 decades then you have had worthwhile posts, twat.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:52 pm 

Blind Guardian has, does, and will always be incredible. Even their worst work is head and shoulders above most bands' best.

Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:08 pm 

Although I personally like modern Blind Guardian (or At the Edge of Time and Beyond the Red Mirror, at the very least), this just seems outside the scope of my interest. Cool that they can finally get it off their chests, but I'd rather listen to a proper BG album instead.
Infant Annihilator are well known to sell their albums on Iron Maiden - Killers tapes that they recorded their stuff over. And they're in the process of figuring out how to burn over pressed Beherit and Darkthrone CDs.

therealvivs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:28 pm 

This sounds incredibly goofy and childish to me.
Hansi is immaculate as he always is, time does nothing to this man, he's like the Tom Cruise of metal, but dear lord, this cheese fest belongs in the soundtrack of a long lost RPG that tried to copy Diablo and failed spectacularly... Cringe worthy stuff.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:00 pm 

This is almost as bad as Van Canto

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:11 pm 

Well, I'm probably not gonna get much out of the final product, but eh, this has been a passion project of the band's for like 20+ years so I guess it's cool they're finally putting it out there. Hansi still sounds impeccable, and I just saw him with Demons & Wizards and he killed it, so at least there's that. I'm also not super into their current metal albums so I'm not exactly enraged that this is taking the place of a proper Blind Guardian studio album. Their back-catalog is untouchable and they're still amazing live. They can do what they want in the studio, as far as I'm concerned.

It's also cool they've got all the voice actors from Nightall... in on this.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:12 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Although I personally like modern Blind Guardian (or At the Edge of Time and Beyond the Red Mirror, at the very least), this just seems outside the scope of my interest. Cool that they can finally get it off their chests, but I'd rather listen to a proper BG album instead.

I'm with you on this. Personally I couldn't get through the whole new track. The cringe factor was too much.

Raw Ride
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:29 am 

Xlxlx wrote:

Better off waiting for a new Persuader album.

therealvivs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:34 am 

Raw Ride wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
Better off waiting for a new Persuader album.

They've been doing Blind Guardian better than Blind Guardian for a while now.

I'm far from a power metal connoisseur, and I'm rarely in the mood for something like that, but Persuader really scratch that itch.

God, I miss Imaginations From The Other Side... Might listen to it later on!! /,,/

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:27 pm 

If y'all haven't listened to Judicator yet, you should. They've completely satisfied my urge for OG BG, and Hansi even does guest vocals on a song: https://judicatormetal.bandcamp.com/alb ... st-emperor

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:46 pm 

They going to tour on this? I don't see how though.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:36 pm 

aloof wrote:
you can get away with that kind of lyrics on a metal song, but not over a stripped down orchestral instrumentation. I laughed my a** off the whole way through... :/

Yeah, I snickered at "come along, come along" bit. :lol:

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:27 pm 

Other thread in case anyone is looking for it:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123337

PurpleDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:44 pm 

New song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsXWXh8neNo

Apparently they wrote this one back in 1997 with little change to it since. I like it more than "Point of No Return", there's more going on on the orchestra side of things and it doesn't feel as much like it's wandering around from part to part until it's chorus time. Still slightly apprehensive about the project as a whole but I think there'll be at least some stuff to enjoy.

They also put out a second trailer just showing a tiny bit of the orchestra and choir recordings - but just enough to suggest that the re-recorded song Hansi teased earlier is probably a completely orchestral version of "At the Edge of Time" from the last album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxNZYgJzEfc

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:52 pm 

Album's out and a music video is streaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bZjrn6IhOw

I can't get into this at all. It sounds like an album they forgot to record the guitars on but they just released it anyway.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:51 pm 

I have it but haven't listened to it yet. I was surprised to see it's like 20 something songs?? Guaranteed to have tons of filler. Not sure why I even picked it up, lol.

darkofnight
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:53 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
I have it but haven't listened to it yet. I was surprised to see it's like 20 something songs?? Guaranteed to have tons of filler. Not sure why I even picked it up, lol.

There is actually a version without the interludes, which is the version I recommend listening to. It's growing on me somewhat, but I'm not sure how well this actually works. Needs more time to process.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:53 am 

I seriously can't believe this was an idea they thought was good since the 90s.

PurpleDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:40 pm 

I don't hate it, but yeah, if this was the best they could come up with over the course of 20 years I'm glad it's done with. I quite like most of the metal/orchestra hybrid songs they've done but this really reinforces the obvious: Andre's strength is in composing for guitar.

abyss696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:50 am 

Oh god this is awful, it sounds like an intro that never ends. I imagine myself listening to this album and unsuccesfully waiting for the proper metal to start sounding during 67 loooong minutes and... seriously what the fuck!!!? I don't like any Blind Guardian album post Nightfall in Middle Earth, but this is the worst by far. I think I'll stuck with the first six BG albums, Savage Circus and Persuader. Even Nanowar of Steel released a song in their latest record that is more Blind Guardian than Blind Guardian themselves.

Reply to topic